GDB 30: Starting to get choked

Wanye
December 17 2008 06:45PM

Normally we would attempt to write something really clever about the game tonight.

But seriously we aren't in the mood after that Shitanusly® craptacular display of Hockery we witnessed last night. We will be watching and we will be in attendance at the JL meeting.

But we can assure you of this, Edmonton Oilers Hockey Club®. The patience of the OilersNation -- i.e the patience of the good, hard working, honest folk who pay the bills -- is running low.

And some of these people are crazy.

They rioted on Whyte Ave.

And that was when you were winning.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#351 Gord
December 17 2008, 11:09PM

FIRE MacT FIRE MacT FIRE MacT

#352 topshelf
December 17 2008, 11:09PM

Hemmer with the apple. Keep the streak alive!!!

#353 Wanye Gretz
December 17 2008, 11:10PM

Gord wrote:

FIRE MacT FIRE MacT FIRE MacT

woot

#354 Zamboni Driver
December 17 2008, 11:10PM

Gord wrote:

FIRE MacT FIRE MacT FIRE MacT

Good thing that thing was plugged in.

#355 hoping4a-xmasmiracle
December 17 2008, 11:10PM

@ Zamboni Driver:

That's it. Problem solved. Oilers need to buy everyone if the first 5 rows hot dogs Friday. and keep em' coming all game.

#356 Amber McCormick
December 17 2008, 11:11PM

We may have lost on the ice but we all won in friendship...oh who am I kidding, who has the shotgun? Pass it on.

#357 BUCK75
December 17 2008, 11:14PM

Load that shot gun with buck shot - there's lots of us who need it.

g'night

***boom***

#358 topshelf
December 17 2008, 11:14PM

Amber McCormick wrote:

We may have lost on the ice but we all won in friendship…oh who am I kidding, who has the shotgun? Pass it on.

Me first! Me first!!

#359 Wanye Gretz
December 17 2008, 11:15PM

She's locked and loaded. Please line up for head removals.

#360 RBK
December 17 2008, 11:16PM

KABLAM

#361 Fiveandagame
December 17 2008, 11:31PM

Any chance at some handy dandy Oiler Nation memory eraser being sold in the ON store? Just the last 2 days would be fine by me.

Maybe we should make a trade with Ottawa. We give them Staios and Grebeshkov and Cole, Pouloit and our number one pick for Jason Smith and Spezza and Chris Neil.

Shake and bake baby shake and bake.

#362 Leonard
December 17 2008, 11:31PM

Hey RobinB, still want to wait 40 games? What will you learn then what we don't know now?

#363 hockeysmack
December 17 2008, 11:33PM

What's going to be awesome tomorrow is hearing how despite the fact the team's been outscored 13-4 in the last 2 games, has been outplayed in about 90% of the games this year, gives minimal effort, is totally fucked as per the salary cap next year, and relies on a 39-year-old goalie to keep it all together, it's not time to panic or make rash decisions. I wish that motto was used when the Oil signed any one of the many bullshit contracts and extensions to players and managenment on this sinking ship. Worst part: they are fucking dreadful to watch. Boring. Boring. Boring.

#364 Fiveandagame
December 17 2008, 11:43PM

@ Leonard:

I think Robin's point was despite the fact that the Oilers may know what they need, the OTHER teams around aren't dealing right now as nobody is quite desperate enough. Our division is separated by what 9 pts?

The Oilers would be very eager to make a move, but for the moment there isn't many listeners. Come the end of January (remember the Spacek deal? and the Tarnstrom deals in 06) You will see teams changing up the status quo, not only teams at the bottom but teams at the top looking to make some tweaks before the asking price gets too high by the trade deadline.

#365 Leonard
December 18 2008, 12:03AM

Fiveandagame. You have a good point but that is not that I had in mign. I was talking about Mc T and K. Lowe. After Vancouver game in Edmontom Tambellini was asked when he was going to make his mark on the team and his answer was that what K. Lowe did is fine and he is not in the rush to do anything. He doesn't want K. Lowe to go anywhere either so everything should stay the same. It is management like that I am againced.

#366 David S
December 18 2008, 12:21AM

MacT's presser tonight is very interesting. Kid line impressed him. Older guys - not so much.

#367 Travis Dakin
December 18 2008, 02:43AM

Wanye Gretz wrote:

She’s locked and loaded. Please line up for head removals.

Interesting....

#368 RobinB
December 18 2008, 08:30AM

@ Leonard: Like tonight's result proved some kind of point? It's not about "wanting" to wait 40 games, but that's the most realistic timetable for all the reasons I've already mentioned.

If you're unhappy about MacT being the coach and Lowe being GM, then you're going to be unhappy until they're gone. Don't beat around the bush with a bunch of other gum-flapping when that's the crux of your beef.

#369 Travis Dakin
December 18 2008, 08:33AM

@ RobinB:

So, What would you do Robin? If you're running the show you are doing....? What is the problem here in your eyes.

#370 RobinB
December 18 2008, 08:51AM

@ Travis Dakin: That's a great question. Like most people who follow the team, I've got my own ideas of what's good, what's bad, who needs to go and who needs to stay.

And make no mistake, by referencing the 40-game mark as a timetable for change, I'm not trying to suggest that everything will be fine if people would just be patient and wait. I didn't like the make-up of this team in pre-season and I still don't like it.

As for the changes I'd make, well, I'm not even going to try to answer that here -- sounds like a great topic for one of my posts, though.

#371 Travis Dakin
December 18 2008, 09:02AM

@ RobinB:

Agreed! that would be a topic that would surely generate a lot of responses. I would love to hear your perspective knowing what you know. I guess for me, having followed this team for so long, it's quite hard to know what to make of them. There were always valid reasons for the teams lack of, lets say, cup winning success for the last 18 years but now with the names on this team and general skill level, it just feels so much more dissappointing to be at this level. I've read everybody's take on it including yours and I've watched intently but it baffles me. This team should work. It should be so much more...

#372 Travis Dakin
December 18 2008, 09:05AM

I've decided to risk highway 63 and make my way down to the game on Friday after all.... The Oil are about 38-4 in my lifetime going to games so they will win. I can't give up hope... I won't. I've stuck through worse. Go oil.

#373 Travis Dakin
December 18 2008, 09:07AM

RobinB wrote:

And make no mistake, by referencing the 40-game mark as a timetable for change, I’m not trying to suggest that everything will be fine if people would just be patient and wait. I didn’t like the make-up of this team in pre-season and I still don’t like it.

The thing is too that on paper it seems like any day a light switch could turn on and everything will be ok. The personnel is there to make it happen. Or perhaps one small piece away.

#374 topshelf
December 18 2008, 10:07AM

Wanye Gretz wrote:

She’s locked and loaded. Please line up for head removals.

Mac T and K Lowe should be 1 and 2 in line.

#375 David S
December 18 2008, 10:22AM

I think we could all take a step back and accept that a cup run is not going to happen this year (no sh*t!). That and perhaps be a little less personally invested in the first place. This is a game after all. I'm getting a bit tired of people whining that we're not 26-4 with at least 3 guys on 60 goal clips, one of which is Gagner.

Having said that, I'd like to add my name to the list of people who would like to hear Robin's take on things. Maybe Jason and Jonathan's perspectives too. Could be a pretty interesting series.

#376 topshelf
December 18 2008, 12:11PM

David S wrote:

By paying money to watch it gives me the right to be personally invested.

#377 David S
December 18 2008, 12:34PM

"Game" by definition means sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. Some years you win more, some years you lose more. Just because you pay money doesn't give you the right to dictate the outcome. If you feel that way, buy a Big Mac and you'll be 100% sure to get what you pay for.

Personal investment in this case means your quality of life shouldn't be affected by a game. I'll repeat it.

Its. A. Game.

Are you (not specifically topshelf) a fan of the game or a fan of winning? If the latter, you should move to Detroit or San Jose where you'd be alot happier.

#378 RobinB
December 18 2008, 12:43PM

@ David S: I will have an item posted after lunch.