Speaking of big-name players who've fallen from grace...

Wanye
May 28 2008 01:12PM

fleury_baseball.jpg

It's being reported today that Theo Fleury was going to throw out a pitch and potentially play in a game for the Calgary Vipers of the sub-sub-sub-sub-sub professional Golden League. Apparently, running a concrete sealing business isn’t enough for ol’ Theo, and that having pitches lobbed underhand to him in front of a handful of reporters is more of a gentlemanly way to spend a Tuesday afternoon.

"I'm really fortunate because it's a good story," Fleury said. "It's a real good story—from where I was to where I am today. I just have so many great people in my life that support all the crazy ideas that I have."

Now, we have no problems with this on the surface. Professional baseball players are routinely beaten in footraces by bat boys, stadium ushers and the occasional toddler. Playing a 783 game season in the sun and collecting a cheque in the process should be the dream of any child seeking a career in sports. Why take pucks to the beans for the Avalanche when you could be the DH for the Rockies for 14 seasons and never break a sweat in the process? We get it.

What we don’t get is why Fleury would get involved with the gong show that is the Vipers, even if its only for an afternoon? You see last week, these same Vipers made headlines around the world—if you can believe it—for trading right-hander pitcher John Odom to the United League's Laredo Broncos for a shipment of bats. That’s right, a live human being for ten baseball bats. Apparently you can call up a minor league baseball GM and say “How ‘bout ol’ Hutchens there in centre field? We’ve got ten slightly used Louisville Sluggers with your name on it if you can find it in your heart to part ways with the old boy.”

You're better than this, Theo. You don’t need to lower yourself to these sorts of publicity stunts. You want to play baseball? Fantastic! Go to tryouts of any minor leagues—Golden League included—and the reporters will follow. But don’t do it like this. You are an Olympic Gold Medalist. You've won the Stanley Cup for heaven's sake!

But the trade got us thinking, where was this kind of creative thinking when Kevin Lowe was looking to move Raffi Torres last year? Ten Nike one-piece sticks for ol’ Raff Daddy? Doesn’t seem like the worst trade to us.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 Tony Romo
May 28 2008, 01:46PM

Is Raffi Torres worth 10 Nike one pieces? I'd take that deal if I was K-Lowe

#2 Rick
May 28 2008, 02:57PM

I don't know about the Raffi trade.

It's a little shortsighted when you consider it would only take Stoll about 3 shifts to go through all ten sticks.

Now if KLowe could turn Raffi into ten bottles of Palmade for Sheldon Souray, then I think it's worth considering. That's a trade that would give you atleast a month worth of payback.

#3 1011011
May 28 2008, 03:14PM

I heard that Stoll was experimenting with the Nike HairStick - the lightweight shafts are made entirely of human hair and cheese - explaining their durability.

Thats not Palmade, thats motor oil. You're in Oil Country baby!

#4 Rick
May 28 2008, 03:17PM

Have you seen the price of Oil lately?

For 10 cans of that KLowe would have to throw Schremp into the deal.

#5 OregonStateFan
May 28 2008, 04:40PM

Stoll should just switch to real lumber instead of composite sticks. I means, sure, he's not going to get quite as much on each shot, but at least he'll get the shot off. Plus, you could get a hundred wooden sticks for the cost of 10 composites.

Say... MacT, why don't you switch Stoll's sticks in training camp...

#6 Milli
May 28 2008, 05:15PM

hahahahahaha, you guys rock...I'm laughing my ass off!!!!!

#7 Hoos
May 29 2008, 12:42AM

The real tragedy here is that this is Theo's second choice for a career after hockey. They wouldn't let him on Dancing with the Stars.

Oh yeah, I went there!

#8 anonymoose
June 01 2008, 10:16PM

I think whatever path a person travels in order to reach and retain peace of mind is above this petty BS. Considering all the pitfalls of life Fleury has suffered through, if he chose to play professional horseshoe to keep his disease at bay, it would be a good and relevant story.