GDFD No. 53: I've got a bad feeling about this

Ryan Lambert
February 09 2009 04:55PM

han-solo-20-million

Welcome to the fifth Game Day Fire Drill, for this, Calgary’s 53rd game of the season on Feb. 7, 2009.

Stop me if you've heard this before: Here's a team Calgary can actually beat! The Canadiens can't win on the road, and as evidenced by their 3-7-0 record in the last 10 games, they can't win period. Good news for us, certainly.

Of course, the Habs steamrolled the Flames in Montreal back in December, 4-1, so there's that to consider as well. They're a very skilled team with a lot of talent in the top 6 and a physically intimidating defense. And Carey Price, though he's been awful of late, can obviously steal a game.

But let's focus on the positives, shall we?

Let's see... positives, positiiiiiiiives.. hmm.

Mike Cammalleri seems like he's going to continue to play well even if no one else will. Jarome Iginla is very handsome and a nice guy. Dion Phaneuf's girlfriend is rather attractive.

Umm.. is that it? That might be it.

Oh, no, wait. I'm also going to be at work during this game and thus will not have to sit through it.

That's a big-time positive for me.

Who:

The Calgary Flames (30-18-4 for 64 points. Fourth in the West, first in the Northwest) and the Montreal Canadiens (29-18-6 for 64 points. Fifth in the East, second in the Northeast)

When:

7 p.m. Mountain time and 9 p.m. Eastern time. All other time zones can listen to Barack Obama swear.

Where:

Pengrowth Saddledome, Calgary, Alberta.

Calgary is 19-7-3 at home this year, but they've lost two in a row there. Fortunately Montreal is almost as bad a road team as Calgary, having lost seven of their last nine on the road.

What (to hate about the Habs):

All those All-Stars — Boy nothing says All-Star like Mike Komisarek, Andrei Markov, Carey Price and Alex Kovalev. Sorry, that should read "Nothing says undeserving All-Star..." My mistake.

This centennial celebration of theirs — No one outside of Montreal cares at all. We, as NHL fans and not Habs fans, don't need to see throwback jerseys and we don't need to honor fourth-liners from those teams that won like 182 Stanley Cups in a row. Enough already.

Alex Kovalev — Just seems like a jerk, doesn't he?

Alex Tanguay — Obvious reasons.

Why?

It seems like a good idea. Enjoy the game and feel free to yuk it up amongst yourselves in the comments section!

686dfac3780611cb7acad6ce5166c6c1
#1 Kent
February 09 2009, 05:32PM

Kovalev is the Habs Bertuzzi. Except he floats more and is somehow less physical. I'd hate the guy if I was a Canadiens fan.

#2 Johnroxxanne
February 09 2009, 06:01PM

This game is a double curse for me. I have a few canadians in my pool who I desperately need to get some points to break me out of the middle of the pack yet I am a flames fan first and foremost. So hopefully I can sit and drink while cursing my fantasy team tonight as opposed to cursing my flames.

#3 Johnroxxanne
February 09 2009, 06:17PM

@ Kent: yeah except Kovalev actually had a good season for the canadians fans to look back upon with fond memories. Bertuzzie had his best years as a canuck. Looking back on those memories just makes me want to eat whale.

#4 Kent
February 09 2009, 06:19PM

Yeah, fair enough.

#5 Blazing Ace
February 09 2009, 07:15PM

The Habs are just so brutal on the road I can't see the flames losing this one.

That could be a death jinx I laid just there.....

#6 Kent
February 09 2009, 07:28PM

Might as well get the soft goal out of the way early, right Kipper?

#7 TLP
February 09 2009, 07:47PM

But wait! There was another goal allowed inside of a minute left. Yesssss.

p.s. i was grudgingly dismissed from work nice and early

#8 Kent
February 09 2009, 07:50PM

Let the losing continue!

If the Flames lose this one, I guarantee we're going to hear a whole lot more about "finding a center for Jarome at the deadline" very soon.

#9 Blazing Ace
February 09 2009, 08:14PM

What a terrible pass Camelleri

#10 Blazing Ace
February 09 2009, 08:16PM

Come boys, your PP looks like the Oilers

#11 Blazing Ace
February 09 2009, 08:17PM

@ Kent: Who would you like to see come here?

#12 merzer131
February 09 2009, 08:40PM

YES BOYD!!!!!

#13 Kent
February 09 2009, 08:46PM

Wow, that was a statement period.

#14 Kent
February 09 2009, 08:47PM

Ace - I'd love to pry Tim Connolly out of Buffalo.

#15 TLP
February 09 2009, 09:28PM

Kent, no you wouldn't.

#16 Kent
February 09 2009, 09:37PM

I know, I know...he's fragile as tissue paper. But he's a great player (when he's actually in the line-up).

Quite the game this evening. Everyone stepped up (except Jarome Iginla...who continues to stink against any team in a play-off position).

#17 FFan
February 09 2009, 09:57PM

Kent wrote:

Ace - I’d love to pry Tim Connolly out of Buffalo.

Come on Kent...Connolly for what? Buffalo won't give him up. Give us a realistic option.

#18 TLP
February 09 2009, 09:58PM

If I were the Bruins I would not be opposed to dealing Patrice Bergeron at the end of the year, but that obviously doesn't help Calgary now.

#19 Kent
February 09 2009, 10:09PM

@ FFan:

Im not your dancing monkey! Come up with your own!

On that note, Andy McDonald was taken off the rental market by the Blues today.

Bergeron is also an interesting suggestion.

#20 Jonathan Willis
February 09 2009, 10:31PM

#21 walkinvisible
February 09 2009, 10:33PM

that was the best game my gio jersey has seen live... ;)

#22 Kent
February 09 2009, 11:46PM

Jonathan Willis wrote:

Feel free to take him up there in Stinksville.

#23 Wanye Gretz
February 10 2009, 12:08AM

Kent wrote:

Jonathan Willis wrote: 6-2 win, and Adrian Aucoin led your team in ice-time. Rumours of his demise greatly exagerrated, perhaps? Feel free to take him up there in Stinksville.

We are too busy collectively wishing for our coaches, GMs, ushers, President of Hockey Operations and front office staff to be fired.

Oh and we want trades.

Many trades.

#24 Jonathan Willis
February 10 2009, 09:05AM

Kent wrote:

Would you accept Steve Staios? I've heard it said that he's a cagey veteran who plays a steady game. I'll even throw in Former First Round Pick Ryan O'Marra, who I've been told projects as a gritty third-line centre.

#25 Kent W
February 10 2009, 12:21PM

Jonathan Willis wrote:

Would you accept Steve Staios? I’ve heard it said that he’s a cagey veteran who plays a steady game. I’ll even throw in Former First Round Pick Ryan O’Marra, who I’ve been told projects as a gritty third-line centre.

A bag of pucks would be fine, thanks. Preferred, actually.