Trade Deadline Thoughts

Wanye
March 03 2009 10:26AM

trade

We have been sent a good many texts, twitters, emails, carrier pigeons and telegrams with different trade scenarios that people would like to see or believe are imminent. Keep 'em coming Nation. With the sheer volume of trade predictions being thrown around someone is bound to be right sooner or later and they will be celebrated for seasons to come as being 'the person who knew.' How sweet is that going to be?

Regardless of the deal the Oil eventually make, there is one thing for certain:

The player(s) coming back are going to have a ton of pressure placed upon them on arrival Chez Oil.

This is obviously going to depend on the player(s) the Oil acquire. Trade Kyle Brodziak for some plugger and expectations will be diminished. But package up a few players in the vaunted 3-for-1 deal that everyone is hoping for and that 1 coming to Edmonton had better have his skates sharpened, stick taped and be ready to go. Remember when Samsonov was traded to the Oil back in '06? Remember how awesome we all thought he was? Now imagine someone of note – Jokinen, Bouwmeester or (insert player of note here) – gets dealt to the rabid OilersNation at the deadline. Get ready to have some expectations placed upon thee buster!

All year the OilersNation have sat and waited for something to happen. A trade of some fashion. A firing perhaps. Calling up junior phenoms of yore. Anything that could result in the needed boost on the ice and in the dressing room and put this team into a solid playoff position. Hundreds of thousands of hard core Oilers Fans, millions of casual acquaintances, billions of band wagon jumpers. All waiting for the news that something has happened.

As our own Robin Brownlee would note:

Tick, tick, tick……

As an aside

detroit_decay

For those of you who subscribe to the theory that the Oilers are screwed because NHL players don’t want to earn a living in Edmonton on account of it being a crap hole, we offer you the following information on Detroit. Long able to cobble together a contending team year after year – the Wings are able to remain in the upper echelons of the league despite the notable fact that Detroit is screwed.

How screwed you ask?

The median price of a home sold in Detroit in December was $7,500. There are no zeroes intentionally missing from that statement nor is it a typo. $7,500 buys you a home in Detroit - complete with walls, a window or two and a door. Now we aren't exactly part of the ReMax Elite Team, but you don't need to be a real estate agent to know that isn't a good sign for an economy.

Other depressing facts about Detroit include:

• One-third of the population and almost 50 percent of children live in poverty.
  • Median household income has dropped 24 percent since 2000, according to the Census Bureau.

Detroit, which has lost half its population in the past 50 years, is deceptively large, covering 139 square miles. Manhattan, San Francisco and Boston could, as a group, fit inside the city's boundaries. There is no major grocery chain in the city, and only two movie theaters. Much of the neighborhood economy revolves around rib joints, hot dog stands and liquor stores.”

Now before you regale us with tales of how most of the monied folk in Detroit live in Auburn Hills or other suburban enclaves please remember that Joe Louis Arena is smack dab in the middle of the urban action in Detroit and not tucked away in the ‘burbs. Zetterberg drives through some of the most depressing urban decay in all of North America on the way into work every morning – and he is there long term Nation. Why? Not because of the scenery. Because the Wings win and are a completely functional franchise.

On a positive note, Detroit's homicide rate dropped 14 percent last year. That prompted mayoral candidate Stanley Christmas to tell the Detroit News recently, "I don't mean to be sarcastic, but there just isn't anyone left to kill."

You will forgive us if we don’t buy the load of crap that a cold city can’t have a good hockey team. If Detroit can do it anyone should be able to ice a winner.

Poor Detroit.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 Harlie Chuddy
March 03 2009, 10:35AM

Stanley Christmas? Stanley fricken Christmas?? You serious!?! *CLAP CLAP*

any relation? http://www.realpennies.com/images/fbfiles/images/LloydChristmas.png

#2 druds
March 03 2009, 10:36AM

Excellent comment...of course as I am posting this,its snowing like hell outside my window.

#3 Mike Krushelnyski
March 03 2009, 10:37AM

Waiver wire seems to be going crazy this morning. Any chance the Oilers would have interest in Satan or Voros?

#4 442Junkie
March 03 2009, 10:49AM

New York: The Asshole has landed! That's right Avery is back with the Rangers

*rolls over and goes back to sleep*

#5 Hoodlum
March 03 2009, 10:49AM

Very good article about Detroit, however while our owner boasts of the great pharmacuticals he can provide, Mike Illitch is throwing a pizza party. And who doesn't love Little Ceasars.

#6 APE - FMNF
March 03 2009, 10:53AM

Why don't we put Penner on waivers? Send his non-working ass to the minors to help out Springfield.

#7 APE - FMNF
March 03 2009, 10:55AM

How many years does he have left on his contract anyway?

#8 Thorn
March 03 2009, 10:56AM

Thank you Chris Pronger! This hangover will continue until we get some consistent reputable play behind us. We're terrified that our top notch players don't want to be here. How many fans are afraid Souray may just up and demand a trade? I have a great deal more confidence in Sheldon's professional committment. It's the difference between an honorable man and a flake. Also "Thanks" for the lies on national TV Prongs! You snake your way out of town and then CRAP on it when you're gone. "...they had a burn Chris Pronger's furniture day...". You might be one hell of a D-man, but your ethics are a hillarious joke. Check yourself SON!

#9 Deep Oil
March 03 2009, 10:57AM

So what you are saying here Wanye is that players would rather live in a war zone than consider signing with Lowe and MacTavish...... as per Hossa - winning in a war zone is better than living in an asylum.

#10 Tommy
March 03 2009, 10:59AM

@ Mike Krushelnyski:

Also Ducks waived Brendan Morrison, and Bolts waived Roberts.

Satan with 17 goals and 19 assists looks good but he is a RW.

Morrison as a pending UFA and a C should get some consideration???

#11 Deep Oil
March 03 2009, 11:01AM

APE - FMNF wrote:

Why don’t we put Penner on waivers? Send his non-working ass to the minors to help out Springfield.

Can you send a Director of Hockey Operations with him as well - Penner has three years left at 4.25 per year - lottery money for this fries boy.

Just so willis doesn't insult me again - here is the salary confirmation - http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=EDM

I think he goes out to bars with players he has never played with as well.

#12 I Am The Law - FMNF
March 03 2009, 11:03AM

@ druds:

@ APE - FMNF:

I'm a Penner fan, but your idea has merit. I would like to see the $4.25 million cap hit cleared up before next year, or at least the year after, so we can get us some (hopefully) cheap free agents.

#13 APE - FMNF
March 03 2009, 11:09AM

If a player plays on a winning team he will get over all the other variables.

#14 Deep Oil
March 03 2009, 11:12AM

I Am The Law - FMNF wrote:

@ druds: It snowed like hell here in Boston yesterday, too. Literally, over a foot of the stuff. And yet, I still had class *sniff*. @ APE - FMNF: I’m a Penner fan, but your idea has merit. I would like to see the $4.25 million cap hit cleared up before next year, or at least the year after, so we can get us some (hopefully) cheap free agents.

When was the last time - Edmonton signed a cheap free agent - dreamer that made a difference. Based on KLOwE's immaturity and temper tantrum's - he has to overpay:

1) Souray - $1mm overpayment per year 2) Penner - $2mm overpayment per year 3) Roloson - even only after this season's performance 4) Strudwick - bargain for a reason

Based on the Penner - Horcoff debacle, we will have more Strudwicks than Hossa's as the cap goes down in two years - note - NHLPA is over 20% escrow - sign of the times.

#15 Rick
March 03 2009, 11:15AM

Deep Oil wrote:

#16 MattL
March 03 2009, 11:16AM

Deep Oil wrote:

Non winning attitude? You mean they just don't want to win? Well, I think we've figured out the problem. I guess only one franchise wants to win each year then, hey? Great comment, Deep Oil.

#17 APE - FMNF
March 03 2009, 11:20AM

@ Deep Oil: I'm fairly confident when I say Souray is earning his money this year and Strudwick was a solid signing.

#18 5Cups
March 03 2009, 11:26AM

Don't see how in the hell you can say that Lowe and Mac don't want to win. I suppose the cups that they have won while playing 100% completely healthy were simply them being along for the ride... Question their deals and coaching sense, but desire to win? Make you look like a complete idiot.

#19 Deep Oil
March 03 2009, 11:26AM

Rick wrote:

Deep Oil wrote: This is confirmed to me by many players over the years at golf tourneys both sober and under the influence. I thought the NHL had a security force that warned players about fraternizing with degenerate characters.

They do and obviosly do not know the word due diligence when it comes to Boots, Len Barie, Oren Khoules, and the numerous owners on security fraud charges. When is the garage sale in PHX....

#20 Deep Oil
March 03 2009, 11:30AM

APE - FMNF wrote:

I know you want to play HINDSIGHT GM..... but EDM offerred Souray $1mm more than anyone else in the market... he is not thrilled about our social scene here - as per my villeneuve sources.

Struds is our plumber - can't get excited about this. I am sure his last goal will be top shelf story in a few months around the campfire.

While 1.2mm Glen X walks out the door.... due to the Hossa fantasy

#21 Deep Oil
March 03 2009, 11:32AM

MattL wrote:

Deep Oil wrote: Players avoid this town due to the two mentioned above and the non winning attitude. Non winning attitude? You mean they just don’t want to win? Well, I think we’ve figured out the problem. I guess only one franchise wants to win each year then, hey? Great comment, Deep Oil.

They have not shown the confidence to win - self fullfiling prophecy.

#22 Peter Pan
March 03 2009, 11:39AM

@ Deep Oil:

uuuuh..okay

#23 APE - FMNF
March 03 2009, 11:41AM

Deep Oil wrote:

APE - FMNF wrote: @ Deep Oil: I’m fairly confident when I say Souray is earning his money this year and Strudwick was a solid signing. I know you want to play HINDSIGHT GM….. but EDM offerred Souray $1mm more than anyone else in the market… he is not thrilled about our social scene here - as per my villeneuve sources. Struds is our plumber - can’t get excited about this. I am sure his last goal will be top shelf story in a few months around the campfire. While 1.2mm Glen X walks out the door…. due to the Hossa fantasy

The reason they offered Souray more was so that he would come. It was the situation that dictated the overpayment not KLowe's brain. Would you have been pleased if we signed Glencross and then couldn't afford Hossa? You are just a negative person who will never be happy.

And as far as Struds is concerned, you need plumbers to fill roster spots. Every team has them. They are what they are and they know it. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm so sick of your so called insider info. Every player hates Edmonton. Every Oiler hates playing here. We get it already.

#24 Jonathan Willis
March 03 2009, 11:43AM

Deep Oil wrote:

They have not shown the confidence to win - self fullfiling prophecy.

So, are they not winning because they don't believe they can win, or do they not believe they can win because they aren't winning?

I'm sorry but a quick psychoanalysis of 20+ hockey players from a guy with little/no insider information carries less than no weight with me.

#25 Rick
March 03 2009, 11:45AM

Deep Oil wrote:

he is not thrilled about our social scene here - as per my villeneuve sources.

I shouldn't encourage it but I can't help myself, why is it relevant that your source is from Villeneuve?

#26 Deep Oil
March 03 2009, 11:48AM

5Cups wrote:

Don’t see how in the hell you can say that Lowe and Mac don’t want to win. I suppose the cups that they have won while playing 100% completely healthy were simply them being along for the ride… Question their deals and coaching sense, but desire to win? Make you look like a complete idiot.

It is their inability to transfer that winning attitude of the past to the present - the depression on the radio after a loss is hilarious.

I don't see their jersey's up in the rafters - even MacT joked that he didn't think many kids had his name on their jersey's. Lowe blocked shots, MacT was the faceoff man for the cycle before it was the cycle- enough said.

I really think that LOWE doesn't understand the complicated math of the cap 2.3.4 years out given the suicide signings - they have this massive wallboard in the OIL office to assist cap planning - but an accountant nerd that has a handle on hockey talent would of been an exponential investment for this organization - didn't happen - Howson was a band aid approach that is now taking CLB to the playoffs at our expense.

#27 Chris
March 03 2009, 11:49AM

I feel sorry for Tambellini, who is under tremendous pressure to fix this team, or make some sort of signature move...Pressure from both the fans and Katz (Who IS a fan!)

Whatever move Tambellini makes will be subject to much analysis, but the fact remains: the Oilers are Lowe's team. Tambellini is already committed to $43,495,833 of salary next season. So thinking ahead to this summer, Tambellini needs to: 1)Sign two top six forwards, including someone to play with Hemsky. 2)Sign a starting goaltender, or extend Roli. 3)Sign or replace Smid, Grebeshkov, and Strudwick on the back-end; as well as Brodziak at center. Tambellini needs to do all of this for less than 5-6 million dollars because Gagner and Cogliano will both be needing extensions the following year, and the cap is likely to continue shrinking. Lowe has REALLY tied Tambellini's hands here...

It's not like Tambellini is free to complain about the hand he's been given!

#28 Deep Oil
March 03 2009, 11:49AM

Rick wrote:

check out where his roots are from

#29 Matt N
March 03 2009, 11:50AM

....he is not thrilled about our social scene here - as per my villeneuve sources.

#30 Jonathan Willis
March 03 2009, 11:50AM

Deep Oil wrote:

That's what they hired Olczyk to do.

#31 The Towel Boy
March 03 2009, 11:51AM

At first when I saw this article I was like "WOW...already over 20 comments...there must be some good banter in the comments section!"

...then I read and saw Deep Oil stuff....

*sigh*

#32 Deep Oil
March 03 2009, 11:51AM

Chris wrote:

I feel sorry for Tambellini, who is under tremendous pressure to fix this team, or make some sort of signature move…Pressure from both the fans and Katz (Who IS a fan!) Whatever move Tambellini makes will be subject to much analysis, but the fact remains: the Oilers are Lowe’s team. Tambellini is already committed to $43,495,833 of salary next season. So thinking ahead to this summer, Tambellini needs to: 1)Sign two top six forwards, including someone to play with Hemsky. 2)Sign a starting goaltender, or extend Roli. 3)Sign or replace Smid, Grebeshkov, and Strudwick on the back-end; as well as Brodziak at center. Tambellini needs to do all of this for less than 5-6 million dollars because Gagner and Cogliano will both be needing extensions the following year, and the cap is likely to continue shrinking. Lowe has REALLY tied Tambellini’s hands here… It’s not like Tambellini is free to complain about the hand he’s been given!

looks like a pigeon show for the next 3 years under this system and LOWE's decisions - poor tambo - sacrificial lamb as LOWE has a lifetime contract - from boys on the bus fan - Katz who has not said a peep since August

#33 Deep Oil
March 03 2009, 11:52AM

Jonathan Willis wrote:

Deep Oil wrote: an accountant nerd that has a handle on hockey talent would of been an exponential investment for this organization That’s what they hired Olczyk to do.

a day late and a dollar short

#34 Robin B
March 03 2009, 11:57AM

Aaron Voros. Good player. Smart pick-up. Not the scorer the Oilers seek, but he'll help somebody.

#35 Rick
March 03 2009, 11:58AM

Deep Oil wrote:

check out where his roots are from

#36 Greg MC
March 03 2009, 12:38PM

Deep Oil wrote:

Elk Point is a ways from Villeneuve...

#37 Deep Oil
March 03 2009, 12:46PM

Greg MC wrote:

Deep Oil wrote: Rick wrote: Deep Oil wrote: he is not thrilled about our social scene here - as per my villeneuve sources. I shouldn’t encourage it but I can’t help myself, why is it relevant that your source is from Villeneuve? check out where his roots are from Elk Point is a ways from Villeneuve…

farmers have coffee in different towns don't they but according to willis they never farmed together

this best dressed oiler mentioned that Edmonton did not have the best social scene - but for UFA money does it matter

#38 Deep Oil
March 03 2009, 12:47PM

Rick wrote:

Deep Oil wrote: check out where his roots are from I gotta be missing something, otherwise I think your source needs to check out where his roots are from before passing himself off as in the know.

this source does not fall far from the tree

#39 Mike Krushelnyski
March 03 2009, 12:56PM

Robin B wrote:

Aaron Voros. Good player. Smart pick-up. Not the scorer the Oilers seek, but he’ll help somebody.

Definitely, I like the looks of him a lot better than Pisani or Reddox as a guy who can float between the 3rd and 4th line. Why not pick him up for nothing?

#40 Rick
March 03 2009, 01:03PM

Deep Oil wrote:

farmers have coffee in different towns don’t they

That must be some amazing friggin coffee if farmers are driving over 3 hours to get it.

#41 Deep Oil
March 03 2009, 01:12PM

Matt N wrote:

….he is not thrilled about our social scene here - as per my villeneuve sources. Your Villeneuve sources???? There are like 8 people in Villeneuve and I live with 3 of them. So, no. But, keep commenting, it is a mild form of troll entertainment.

Truckers are allowed to stop for coffee right....

Last time I checked there was a bit of action at the railroad tracks... Richard is a trucker - idiots.

#42 Bob Cob
March 03 2009, 01:13PM

Can anyone out there confirm or deny this for me, did they talk about Ryan Smyth being connected to Edmonton on Sportsnet this morning, or imply that the Oilers were interested in Smyth? I AM NOT TRYING TO START A RUMOR, just that I read on a hockey board that it was mentioned on Sportsnet and was curious if someone catch me up.

#43 Deep Oil
March 03 2009, 01:14PM

Just because a player thinks the nightlife in Edmonton is not up to par - he is not asking for a trade.... I think your Pronger Paranoid. But that might affect his re-up thinking in terms of venue.

#44 Deep Oil
March 03 2009, 01:18PM

Bob Cob wrote:

Smyth has a no trade - coming back to Edmonton is possible - but not probable as Lowe would have to accept the dollars back loaded that Smyth is getting next year - also too emotional with the percentage chance of an aging Smytty - 7.5mm for next year - possible with Cole not coming back (i hope). Wife Stacy would have to approve - no notes that Smyth has given his blessing on the no movement.

#45 BUCK75 - FMNF
March 03 2009, 01:20PM

Robin B wrote:

LOL - you're like Nostradamus, I remember you making that suggestion months ago.

#46 BUCK75 - FMNF
March 03 2009, 01:21PM

@ BUCK75 - FMNF:

I guess only if we got him you would be like Nostradamus.

OOOOOps.

#47 JRocks247
March 03 2009, 01:26PM

Penner-Schremph-2nd rounder for Frolov-3rd rounder Cole (if they can sign him)-Chorney-LA's 3rd rounder for Vermette-Kuba Pick up Morrison off waivers

Presto! a complete 1st line, an ability to forecheck and even kill penalties...of course i'm only dreaming..

#48 socaldave
March 03 2009, 01:37PM

JRocks247 wrote:

Penner-Schremph-2nd rounder for Frolov-3rd rounder Cole (if they can sign him)-Chorney-LA’s 3rd rounder for Vermette-Kuba Pick up Morrison off waivers Presto! a complete 1st line, an ability to forecheck and even kill penalties…of course i’m only dreaming..

Penner's at 4.25 mil vs only 2.75 for Frolov. I know you're only dreaming, but come on, man! At least the math has to work, right? ~insert smiley face here~

#49 socaldave
March 03 2009, 01:37PM

@ socaldave:

Frolov at 2.9 mil, dumb*ss

#50 I Am The Law - FMNF
March 03 2009, 01:38PM

JRocks247 wrote:

I like the Frolov idea, but I can't see LA going for that due to the salary hit, and I think they'd want one of the kids. But I love the idea!!