Ye of little faith

Ryan Lambert
April 23 2009 11:06AM

angry-god-1

No sweat.

That thing I said about pissing off Jarome Iginla being a bad idea? Yeah.

Iginla, with a getalong gang of Olli Jokinen and Eric Nystrom, helped Calgary win its second in a row and even up a series that, just four days ago, looked like it was gonna shape up as a sweep. But my how that Saddledome ice and the C of Red change everything.

The Flames are now playing with purpose and a killer instinct, a trait we've not seen since, say, the Philadelphia game right after the deadline. And sure, they blew a 4-1 second-period lead, but the point is that apart from those eight minutes, it never really felt like Chicago was a threat to score or win or even threaten Calgary.

Now the series is best-of-three. The previously unbeatable Blackhawks look rather easy to beat and the previously unsolvable Nikolai Khabibulin looks awful easy to solve. It's not too much of a stretch to actually think the Flames can win this series now.

I know *I* always believed in 'em.

The Good

Jarome Iginla — You wouldn't like him when he's angry. And I'm pretty sure he got a piece of Adrian Aucoin's goal.

Olli Jokinen — Hell of a time to score your first two goals at the Saddledome. Apart from the penalty that led to Chicago's fourth goal, I thought he played excellent, mistake-free hockey. By the way, on his first goal, I don't think I've heard the 'Dome go that ballistic in a while. And I hope someone advised Brent Seabrook that his jock could be picked up at Lost and Found after the game.

Eric Nystrom — What a performance. Seriously. Even discounting the game-winner, he was oustanding.

Cory Sarich — He was once again the Flames' best defenseman. What a monster he was last night.

Jordan Leopold — Even Leopold was solid? Wow.

The Bad

Miikka Kiprusoff — He was... unspectacular. However, when the goalie across the ice from you gives up five goals on 26 shots, who cares?

Dion Phaneuf — Not outwardly good, but that pass to spring Jokinen for his second goal was a thing of beauty.

The Ugly

Injuries — Again? Craig Conroy leaves after only 4:38 and then Daymond Langkow takes a puck in the hand. Jesus.

Blowing a three-goal lead — Yeah, that's not good. Especially because the third one came on a poor penalty AFTER Mike Keenan called a timeout.

686dfac3780611cb7acad6ce5166c6c1
#1 Brent G.
April 23 2009, 01:03PM

"It’s not too much of a stretch to actually think the Flames can win this series now.

I know *I* always believed in ‘em." - TLP

So I dont wanna be that guy (and am much too lazy to actually look it up) but you wrote them off since day 1. I remember making the comment saying I think they will win and your words were vaguely "Can't and won't"

Further to that I was in Calgary last week and didnt see so much as a flag on a car for the entire week (not obviously but pretty close). It seems I was the only fan who actually thought they were going to take this series in 6 from day one, when they were down by 2, and im sure its all changed now. Thats not to say it has happened yet but its looking alright at least, no? I give calgary the edge despite no home ice (we have seen this happen before though when they last played detroit in the playoffs so lets not go nuts)

Flames in 6 still though!!!

#2 Oilerfan Dan
April 23 2009, 01:46PM

Points deducted for the reference to that annoying Pierre McGuire.

"Cory Sarich — He was once again the Flames’ best defenseman. What a monster he was last night."

#3 Blazing Ace
April 23 2009, 03:21PM

I know you believed in them TLP. All that trash talk was to keep them hungry!!

#4 TLP
April 23 2009, 11:00PM

Brent, if you don't get sarcasm I don't know what I'm supposed to tell you.

#5 dustin timberlake
April 24 2009, 02:16AM

TLP, at least you take it with a grain of salt. Its just a game at the end of the day. Kent W is a solid contributor with brilliant opinions backed with statistics, but sadly, he has a following of cronies who follow Matchsticks and Gasoline and bombard the comment section of every game thread with the most negative poison possible, and form opinions that are identical to whatever Kent says. I just cannot bring myself to see comment after comment that is so negative towards the team that I love. All I can wish for is that my fellow Flames fans can actually enjoy the product that they put on the ice instead of over-analyzing every Bertuzzi Corsi stat or Jokinen's +/- ESP:SHP(33.33)÷X^1.99=1 that the Flames deliver. Just love the last few games of a wild season that we all enjoyed. TLP, you may not get the appreciation you deserve, but you bring a smile to the face of a hell of a lot of readers whever we read your game previews. At least we know you're actually having a good time.

#6 Mike Keenan
April 24 2009, 02:23AM

I agree with Dustin. All I can say is that we are all fans, and nothing more. There is no need to become so negative and talk so much shit about the Flames. They're a good team- Jokinen is solid, Leopold is consistent, Kiprusoff is battling, and Jarome would kick any of your asses for calling him Jarmoe. Seriously. Just cheer the home team on and try to enjoy the playoff run!

#7 newton
April 24 2009, 02:46AM

Problem: Olli Jokinen is a 'real' player that is scoring points on the interval x(a)=4.66π and x(b)=e^2 upon the function f(x)=∫21x dx - (1/8)c (with the variable 'c' = specific heat capacity of Olli Jokinen heating the FUCK up.) NOTE: Integral bounded by the knowledge that a > b in the set of 3 'real' Jokinens. Answer: Solve for Getting er' Done.

#8 newton
April 24 2009, 02:49AM

Walk Invisible, duncan and RO seem to be the most educated Flames fans due to their very strong opinions of the team. Please solve this problem in the latest edition of Flames Homework Help, as you guys are intellectually superior to all of us.

#9 R O
April 24 2009, 09:32AM

dustin timberlake wrote:

TLP, at least you take it with a grain of salt. Its just a game at the end of the day. Kent W is a solid contributor with brilliant opinions backed with statistics, but sadly, he has a following of cronies who follow Matchsticks and Gasoline and bombard the comment section of every game thread with the most negative poison possible, and form opinions that are identical to whatever Kent says. I just cannot bring myself to see comment after comment that is so negative towards the team that I love. All I can wish for is that my fellow Flames fans can actually enjoy the product that they put on the ice instead of over-analyzing every Bertuzzi Corsi stat or Jokinen’s +/- ESP:SHP(33.33)÷X^1.99=1 that the Flames deliver. Just love the last few games of a wild season that we all enjoyed. TLP, you may not get the appreciation you deserve, but you bring a smile to the face of a hell of a lot of readers whever we read your game previews. At least we know you’re actually having a good time.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. We all watch the same game, have access to the same stats. Some of the majority opinions - Iginla hasn't not driving the bus this year, third line is awesome, Bertuzzi's a liability, Jokinen hasn't been a difference maker, Kipper's hasn't been great - are obvious enough that it's hard for us not to hold them. Some of the smaller things, like Leopold's statuis as a defenceman, are things that do see debate.

The gamethread comments at M&G can slant negative for sure (as they will tend to if we are losing! Which has happened a lot since Kent formed his site) but it's a thousand times better than CP.

#10 maimster
April 24 2009, 11:38AM

Interesting when commenters start picking off other commenters!

Some people want their 'fan experience' to be all rah-rah, no negative thoughts; others want to try and understand every little nuance and will use stats, observation, hearing other opinions, whatever it takes. Still others are in the middle ground between these two points. There's room for everyone isn't there? There aren't a lot of regular Flames bloggers, but I think they all write well, make me laugh sometimes, make me think sometimes. And if I don't like what one of them writes, I'll either quit reading them or debate them.

By the way, I read M&G and comment quite a bit over there, and I think anyone would be hard pressed to call me a crony who parrots Kent's opinions. Brent may even find I've been as optimistic about Flame success as he has been! :-)

#11 Brent G.
April 24 2009, 12:03PM

@ maimster: yes thats very true. You seem to be the only one who agrees when I say I think they will win.

Ill admit at times I find it hard to take the comments at M&G just becuase it turns so negative sometimes. Im not ragging on anything it is what it is. Kent W is probably the most insightful person I have ever read the thoughts of and notices the small things but inevitably they are pretty negative thoughts. At times I begin to wonder if they all teams have players "as bad at Bert" or we are just an anomoly. I still participate sometimes but find it very demaning as a flames fan sometimes. I remember game three comments in particular were really negative considering they won and the game wasnt that close. Either way Ill come and go as I please as we all should.

#12 R O
April 24 2009, 12:12PM

@ Brent G.:

To be fair, the first five minutes of period 1 of game 3 was probably the most disheartening five minutes I've ever watched this season - I'm positive that was the case for a lot of our fanbase.

#13 Blazing Ace
April 24 2009, 02:55PM

What I like about this site is that it is basically a fresh start. You know it will probably get as busy here as on that stupid Oilersnation eventually.

There is no old boys club on here - there is no old boys club. But I like that Lefebvre, TLP and Kent W are on here. This is a quality product with none of the negativity of CP