Big shock, right?

Ryan Lambert
April 28 2009 10:24AM

bklav05cov

That seems juuuuuuuust about right.

Given how the last third of the season played out, I found it terribly appropriate that Calgary decided to mail in an elimination game at home like that.

I mean, there was never even a point at which I thought they had a chance to win, since the only period in which they played hard, and even then, it wasn't for the full 20, was the THIRD period, when they were already down 3-0 and Todd Bertuzzi's goal less than a minute in meant so shockingly little that it almost would have been better if they hadn't scored at all.

It's easy to look at the stats and say, "Look at the shot differential," as a means of saying the Flames played well or carried the game, but anyone that actually saw this dreadful performance knows the truth: they got run out of their own building by a team that, unlike them, actually wanted to be there.

There's very little else to say about the game. No one showed up. Not the coaches, not the forwards, not the defensemen, not the goalie. No veteran leadership to be found. Youthful pluck was in short supply. This team just came out flat from the opening whistle and, 60 minutes later, were packing their things.

Deservedly so.

The Good

Cory Sarich — He's the only "good" I'll list, but I thought he played very well for the majority of the series in the face of some very tough circumstances.

The Bad

None to speak of.

The Ugly

Miikka Kiprusoff — I don't care what the circumstances were this time. Giving up three goals on 15 shots in a home elimination game is completely unacceptable. And alllllll too common.

Mike Keenan — The game plan was obvious: Put the puck on net. Mission accomplished. The Flames shot the puck from every angle conceivable last night, but it turns out that was never going to work. Anyone could have told you that, too. Great, 44 shots. How many of them were quality?

Jarome Iginla — Two shots and a minus-2. That's how you want your captain showing up.

The offseason — It's gonna be a long summer.

Effort — Like the Flames, I honestly can't be bothered to put in too much at the present time. Gimme a few days and I'll post my thoughts on the season and grade all the players and all that malarkey.

686dfac3780611cb7acad6ce5166c6c1
#1 Chris
April 28 2009, 10:48AM

How much of this lays at Sutter's feet for bringing in Jokinen? Or is this all just bad luck and injuries?

#2 TLP
April 28 2009, 10:56AM

Sutter's problems go well beyond Jokinen, I think. But this is ALL on him. He hasn't built a team that can go past the first round and needs to answer for that.

#3 Chris
April 28 2009, 11:04AM

@ TLP: Wow. You DO live near Boston... Most people in Calgary still thinks Sutter walks on water.

Best of luck growing readership this summer... I find you're stuff informative and entertaining.

*pinches himself for giving props to a Flames Fan*

#4 Brian O'Neill
April 28 2009, 11:27AM

Miika is too inconsistant. I would move him while he still has such a high value.

#5 scorcoff hemercules
April 28 2009, 11:35AM

@ Brian O'Neill:

High value??? I don't see it, on paper maybe but his on ice performance this season was far from a 6 million dollar guy. It see it more as an impossible contract to move. Same with Dion, like Penner from the oil, he saw his multi million contract as an end not a beginning.

#6 RossCreek
April 28 2009, 11:46AM

Mikka has 5 years left. He could be bought out after 3 at a 4 year cap hit of slightly over a mil.

#7 RossCreek
April 28 2009, 11:49AM

@ scorcoff hemercules: I think Dion just had a tough year. Whether it be injuries or something else... maybe that Sean Avery blast really hurt Dion (lol), but I'd expect to see the real Dion step up next year. If not, things could get ugly.

#8 blade
April 28 2009, 11:50AM

Brian O'Neill wrote:

Huh? you missed this thingy ~ ~ ~ ~

Last time i checked price is what you pay, value is what you get for that price. yes yes yes... 45 wins... maybe theres a gm out there that would only look at that anomaly and see SAVIOR but that is some kinda big dollar for a dude whose "what have you done for me lately" is somewhat south of the mendoza line He aint going anywhere except a place that has worse contracts to dump back on the flames... such as briere, gomez, penner, smyth, jokinen **** oh wait***

never mind.

a nice situation big D... a real nice situation....

#9 Andrew
April 28 2009, 11:54AM

Ive said it once and ill say it again... The only players that are safe are.

Iginla, Moss, Nystrom, Conroy, Pardy, Peters, Reggie and Backlund (possibly Sarich). Everyone else is free game. Although suffice to say Langkow is probably safe as well.

Trade Phanuef, trade Kipper. Get rid of Keenan, Sutter has to go. Get rid of the old timers and get in young players. That is the way to win in the new NHL. And with leaders like Iginla and Reggie we are bound for deep playoffs. And don't get me wrong, i'm not just saying this because of last night. I've been thinking about this for awhile.

Call it what you want but I think there are key players that really care about this team. And so help me if the Flames trade Iginla. HE WAS DOUBLE TEAMED THE WHOLE SERIES BY TWO VERY GOOD DEFENCEMEN. Keenan was retarded and couldnt get Iginla the best match-ups even on home ice! Iginla is the star and center of this team, deserves a good team around him and a Stanley Cup.

#10 blade
April 28 2009, 12:02PM

@ Andrew:

Isnt Peters a UFA?

#11 Chris
April 28 2009, 02:06PM

blade wrote:

Trade Phanuef

Maybe Phaneuf just misses Edmonton.

#12 Brent G.
April 28 2009, 06:11PM

@ Andrew: As it turns out phaneuf was playing very injured for the majority of the season. He had a hip issue (which may need surgery) broken ribs and ofcourse a concussion at the end. Its weird because you can almost see the drop off on his play. He wasnt that bad at the beginning of the year. That being said he will be back, keenan wont. everyone wins.

#13 The Menace
April 28 2009, 09:46PM

I think they may have got the wrong Jokinen...

#14 The Menace
April 28 2009, 09:48PM

Brian O'Neill wrote:

Does he have a high value right now? He just finished mailing it in down the stretch, and tanked it in the playoffs for the fourth consecutive year. This might not be a case of "selling high".