Something New

Wanye
June 03 2009 02:41PM

wanye

Anyone who knows us in real life knows that we like to get excited about stuff. Once a week we hear something, see something or dream up something that gets us so excited we run around in circles till we are exhausted and forced to sit down. It’s a great way to go through life – particularly when we follow through on whatever we dream up. Once upon a time it was the OilersNation itself that hit us like a bolt of lightning. This other time it was a website that built edible dog collars. Other things that excite us can be found below:

1. This Star Wars videogame trailer

We don’t play videogames. Part of our brain thinks that we do and says “oh totally waste your last 300 dollars on a Wii. Of COURSE you will play it. You can then inhabit an imaginary alternate universe where you have gobs of free time to learn to play Star Trek: Conquest.” Then we buy the Wii and Star Trek and stare sadly at it as we return from our job at the bottle depot, pass the Wii and go directly to bed on business.

Then we see a trailer like this one above - pointed out to us by our boy the human torch on Twitter and the love affair begins anew. As the human torch pointed out “How is it that a 3 minute game trailer better than all 3 Star Wars prequels put together?” We love Star Wars anyway, but the Torch is right as is usually the case. If we lived in Amsterdam like he does we would spend most of our time in the local coffee shops, not drinking coffee and would never be right about anything.

But that's just us.

2. This Young Buck song

Yeah we know it isn’t the actual video – thanks to Universal for not allowing it to be shared on YouTube. But damn this is a wicked song. If you don’t get pumped listening to Young Buck you either don’t own a set of ears, played the song wrong or your brain isn’t able to interpret audio stimuli into favorable recognition patterns.

Either way you suck and Young Buck doesn’t.

3. Yelling about junk

radio

Our buddy Chris from the most ass kickingest band ever TOAST has just started a podcast with his boy Tyler. We have listened to their first show and we are so jealous. Their show included a call in from God at the 43rd minute – who was interested in talking about Eskimos football of course – and a sound discussion of someone paying people at the bar to engage in fisticuffs. There is even a shout to the Nation and to our own Jonathan Willis at 19 minute mark.

*insert digital schwing here*

Two things came as a result of this podcast:

1. We have mad respect for T&C Sportstalk and will listen to their show regularly 2. We want to podcast too (imagine getting a call from God??)

We have been pondering the idea of podcasting for a long time but we had never heard a podcast until this morning. It looks like great fun. Let’s be honest Nation, we aren’t a writer. We know it, you know it. People have suggested to us that we keep writing articles but also start talking too. Apparently we talk funny and we have heard from a few people “I can actually hear you talking when you type out this stuff.” We would never give up writing – even if some of you insist that we should. Actually the last person that suggested we give up writing got a beating to the tune of Young Buck and hasn’t been a problem since. But you get the idea.

When we first started OilersNation we can vividly remember the day that we realized twenty people read the site per week and we were hooked. Fast forward 20 months and we are cracking 150,000 people a month which blows our mind. If one single person would listen to our podcast we would set to work making one. We even have a cohost in mind.

'Cause everyone knows  - if you don't have time to play your Wii you most certainly have time to learn how to podcast.

Would you listen? Would you teach us how to play Star Trek: Conquest?

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 ScubaSteve
June 03 2009, 02:52PM

Based in that top pic alone, I would listen just to see how high and squeaky, and inherently angry your voice would be.

#2 Chaz
June 03 2009, 02:55PM

Is that 150,000 unique hits or does it include the 125,000 times I look at the site per Month?

#3 Chaz
June 03 2009, 02:56PM

I wish my lawn was an emo kid like that picture....that way it would cut itself.

Hey-oooooooo!!

#4 DK0
June 03 2009, 02:59PM

Is that 150,000 unique visitors or 150,000 hits? It's gotta be unique visitors cause I hit this place 50 times a day. All part of my plan to make you bankrupt with server costs! *someone whispers in my ear*... Wait, you get money from advertising everytime I show up? Ohh now I'm totally never coming back, that'll learn you to build an awesome website.

PS. I'm going to need someone to email me every update and comment here 50 times a day if my plan is going to work.

#5 Bar Qu
June 03 2009, 02:59PM

Brrrrillliaaannnnnt picture.

Pod away trek boy. I might listen.

#6 Canadian Maniac
June 03 2009, 03:02PM

@ ScubaSteve:

I agree, this alone easily justifies one episode of the NationCast (email me for an address for the royalty checks). We gotta hear Wanye frothing at the mouth over Skype, possibly at some poor person who has no idea why they're present for the festivities.

#7 Amber
June 03 2009, 03:07PM

True EMOS don't copy and paste- they cut.

Cutting lets the sad out.

#8 jeanshorts
June 03 2009, 03:07PM

Bioware is in Edmonton, so I think it's some kind of law that you have to pick up that game if you live within 20 Km of the city limits. It also looks bad-ass, too bad I'm what people like to call "video game retarded". I have an easier time trying to figure out how to unhook a bra then I do playing video games.

#9 Wanye Gretz
June 03 2009, 03:08PM

@ Canadian Maniac:

Oh I won't use skype. I am going to whiz away a whole bunch of time and money I don't have and build a podcasting studio in the basement of Wanye Manor.

@ DK0: @ Chaz:

Am I supposed to know that? I ask the developers "how busy is the Nation?" and they say "busy enough you need to rebuild the website again for the new season so it won't crash all the time." I then say "busier than it used to be?" and they say "you get about 150,000 visitors a month 350,000 pageviews and you are climbing fast"

Then I say "hey, is there any Tang around here? You web guys love Tang."

#10 jeanshorts
June 03 2009, 03:12PM

@ Wanye Gretz:

Web Guy Tang ain't nuthin' to f*ck wit!

#11 ScubaSteve
June 03 2009, 03:16PM

I thought it was astronauts that love Tang. I can see the first podcast now, Wanye holding up some funny pics, then playing some rap, and then a story about lighting something on fire, and finishes it up with something incoherent about coors light. Sounds like gold to me!

#12 jayoilfan
June 03 2009, 03:21PM

jeanshorts, I'm with you on the bra thing, way easier to figure out and in the end, much more satisfying. You feel like you've accomplished something worthwhile.

Video games are a waste of time for me. If I did them I'd have no time for all things Oil, this spot included.

Podcast, I dunno new technology scares me...

#13 Wanye Gretz
June 03 2009, 03:25PM

@ jeanshorts:

Oh that is good. Now that baggedmilk has been dealt with you are free to run amok squarely in the spotlight I see. Well played.

@ ScubaSteve:

Not being able to put up pictures will be a definite handicap. I will have to find the audio version of MS paint to ruin things. I need to find a DJ/Producer too I now realize ....

@ jayoilfan:

I'm with you on the new technology. But 2 years ago I didn't even know what a blog was, 6 months ago same for twitter. I think we can somehow just put it here on the Nation for listening.

#14 BUCK75
June 03 2009, 03:27PM

I am in favour of a podcast. As long as:

A: You are drunk & do it in a "Great White North" or "Kanadian Korner" kinda way. Complete with stubby beer bottles & empty cases of Bud Light.

B: You do an entire segment of Ghost riding the Whip.

#15 Travis Dakin
June 03 2009, 03:48PM

Un-hooking a bra is the greatest skill in the world. It is one that unleashes the highest reward. Seriously! What is better? mmm...

#16 Archaeologuy
June 03 2009, 03:50PM

jeanshorts wrote:

As i understood it, the better you were at one of those things, the less you needed the other.

Amber wrote:

True EMOS don’t copy and paste- they cut. Cutting lets the sad out.

LOL. awesome.

#17 Travis Dakin
June 03 2009, 03:55PM

Oh and yes, Podcasts would be cool. And bravo on the actually stunning short period growth of the Nation. I remember being able to count the frequent posters and have a good read on their senses of humour. Now.... So many people. So many opinions. So much fun.

@ Wanye Gretz: I'm figuring that if you step out from behind the curtain and more people put a face to one Wanye Van Gretz, you may see a spike in personal options. I'd be milking that.

wait... I mean if I was you I'd be milking that, not I would be milking you... damn. Uh... girls like famous people. You're famous. Shut up Travis.

#18 Cam
June 03 2009, 03:58PM

@ jeanshorts: I think you have unlocked the key to whether or not you are a video game geek or not.

If you find it easier to one hand a bra or learn a new video game determines your status.

I am a bra guy myself, and I play games I learned in 1998 when I need a video game fix (Like Starcraft and Simcity 2000).

#19 Archaeologuy
June 03 2009, 04:03PM

Cam wrote:

HOLD ON. ONE HAND?!

Maybe if i used a pair of scissors...

#20 Wanye Gretz
June 03 2009, 04:07PM

@ Travis Dakin:

Do you really think that? The only time I have had options in my life was when my grade three teacher gave me a choice: Stop eating glue or fail grade three.

I failed grade three.

Positive options would be a nice change.

#21 bingofuel
June 03 2009, 04:10PM

@ Cam:

#22 Librarian Mike
June 03 2009, 04:12PM

You've got my vote for a podcast or something. Frankly, I'd love to see you featured in a video game.

"Super Wanye Bros."

Instead of Luigi, you've got your trusty pal Robin to help you navigate Edmonton's mean streets as you try to procure sought after free agents. Instead of power ups, you can have donair and beer. Instead of magic mushrooms, you can have ... magic mushrooms. I'm telling you, it's a goldmine!

#23 David S
June 03 2009, 04:30PM

Podcasts! Ooooohh yeah! Maybe you could hook up the JAG Thursday show with Gregor and Brownlee too.

#24 Rusty Shackleford
June 03 2009, 04:40PM

I thought it was touching when Young Buck broke into tears trying to express his feelings over 50 Cent kicking him out of G-Unit. I still get chills seeing a thug cry. Like Patrick Kane did when he found out he wasn't invited to Wanye's birthday party.

#25 DK0
June 03 2009, 05:03PM

jeanshorts wrote:

Bioware is in Edmonton, so I think it’s some kind of law that you have to pick up that game if you live within 20 Km of the city limits. It also looks bad-ass, too bad I’m what people like to call “video game retarded”. I have an easier time trying to figure out how to unhook a bra then I do playing video games.

Actually that game is being made by the Austin Texas branch of Bioware. Bioware got so big that they actually bought Pandemic from Australia and then branched out to Texas to make an MMO (apparently Texas is where all the MMO makers are for some reason). The big games coming out from the Edmonton office are actually Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age. Nerd street cred achieved! I actually pulled the one handed bra last friday and was so surprised that i nearly forgot what i was doing and did a victory dance. Still managed to get thrown out at home plate though.. (seriously who put Randy Johnson in center field?). I am all Swedish.... no Finnish :) Mad game cred not achieved.... :(

#26 Ender the Dragon
June 03 2009, 05:13PM

If only someone would design a video game where the objective was to unhook bras. Then you'd have something, right? Right . . .?

*crickets*

Travis Dakin wrote:

Look lower, young man. I know it's hard to believe, but it gets even better. :)

#27 Jason
June 03 2009, 05:53PM

I'm already subscribed to way too many podcasts and can't keep up with them, but I'd definitely find time to listen to an OilersNation podcast.

#28 New Frontier
June 03 2009, 06:52PM

At this point in time I would like to point out that I have never listened to a Podcast, but if I were to start now it would be to hear Wanye's deep baritone massaging my ears.

#29 Chris
June 03 2009, 06:53PM

@ Wanye Gretz:

Have you ever thought of taking advantage of group pricing and assembling a horde of the biggest OilersNation junkies to attend a game at RX1 as an unruly argumentative mob? I'd be happy to pay my way... just keep me at least two seats away from Arch or we'll just end up bickering the whole game.

#30 Rusty Shackleford
June 03 2009, 07:50PM

New Frontier wrote:

At this point in time I would like to point out that I have never listened to a Podcast, but if I were to start now it would be to hear Wanye’s deep baritone massaging my ears.

I believe I pooped in Wanye's baritone once. Needless to say, the highschool marching band program has never been the same.

#31 Harlie
June 03 2009, 08:15PM

The Human Torch lives in Amsterdam? Lucky prick! Guy probly lights up hist fatties with his middle finger ala Wanye's avatar. Ammmmmsterdammm f*ck, YEAH!

#32 Travis Dakin
June 03 2009, 08:23PM

@ Ender the Dragon: Nah its all the same after that. HaHa

#33 MikeP
June 03 2009, 08:56PM

jeanshorts wrote:

It's easier when you're taking them off somebody else than when you're taking them off yourself.

Just saying.

Wanye - podcast. You know you want to.

#34 99thoilerfan
June 03 2009, 08:56PM

That Dam Star Trek game....

I appear to be living in that other time line, as I have won on Hard, with every race....

All but the Federation! I alas, am not Jean-Luc.

Which is why I now am in the lead in my BIG BASS FISHIN' Game !

Sigh.. I really hate the off season...

So call me a dumb ass, but what is the nuts & bolts, as far as a pod cast goes ? I log on somewhere ?

( I really have to sell that dam Wii )

#35 99thoilerfan
June 03 2009, 09:21PM

Ender the Dragon wrote:

If only someone would design a video game where the objective was to unhook bras. Then you’d have something, right? Right . . .? *crickets*

You know.. There might be something there... Maybe a whole line of games, that would involve different "levels" of the art of undress...

Name the levels, like the Baseball reference 1st, 2nd 3rd Base.. then "Sliding in to Home"

If you did it on a Wii, think of the wrist movements, as you hold the remote in your hand, as you on screen, work that Bra clip ...

Man ! That is it ! My Wii has to go !

#36 B-rad
June 03 2009, 10:15PM

sooooo....does this mean you are selling your Wii???? email me brother!

I need more things to pass the time I don't have...

#37 Victoria
June 04 2009, 12:40AM

MikeP wrote: I have an easier time trying to figure out how to unhook a bra then I do playing video games.

It’s easier when you’re taking them off somebody else than when you’re taking them off yourself. Just saying.

Uhhhhh... dare I ask the obvious question?

#38 humantorch
June 04 2009, 04:11AM

Wayne Gretz wrote:

My lawyer says that I'm supposed to say I don't know what you're talking about.

Harlie wrote:

The Human Torch lives in Amsterdam? Lucky prick! Guy probly lights up hist fatties with his middle finger ala Wanye’s avatar. Ammmmmsterdammm f*ck, YEAH!

My lawyer says that I'm supposed to say I don't know what you're talking about.

#39 Cam
June 04 2009, 08:13AM

bingofuel wrote:

@ Cam: The key, as I have found, is to find a girl who loves videogames. Then all kinds of once-disparate behaviours can be successfully conjoined in a cocophony of digital and real-life bliss. *swoon*

But then you have to vie for the controller when it is a one player game. I prefer having a wife who drinks beer and watches hockey with me. ah... bliss.

#40 RossCreek
June 04 2009, 08:24AM

The answer to the Oilers goaltending issue is Antero Nittymaki as far as UFA's go. Kari Lehtonen or Josh Harding as far as RFA's go. All 3 are capable tenders that are young enough to become the man and be here for a long time IMO.

#41 Cam
June 04 2009, 08:30AM

@ RossCreek: Dude, we were talking about bras and video games... how did goaltenders creep into it?!? :-)

Seriously though I don't think the Oil should be going after RFA's this season. Let's keep our draft picks etc and concentrate on the UFA's. I kinda hope they keep Roli. He has a fire in his belly and I like that.

#42 RossCreek
June 04 2009, 08:40AM

Lol. I'm not suggesting that they make an offersheet on the RFA's, but they're both guys that could be available because they are RFA's and their current clubs may be looking to move them. Gilbert and Nilsson for Lehtonen and Armstrong?

#43 Wanye Gretz
June 04 2009, 09:00AM

@ RossCreek: @ Cam:

I love it when someone comes into a conversation about donairs and bras and tries to talk hockey. LOLZ

@ OilersNation :

I am surprised no one chirped me for my suggest-o-tron. Very well! I shall begin putting what remains of my mind to developing a podcast.

*realizes he has bitten off more than he can chew, googles "how do I podcast?"*

#44 The Towel Boy
June 04 2009, 09:04AM

I don't think that Star Wars game is gonna be nearly as cool as that preview vid. It's one of those massively multiplayer online games like World of Warcraft. Not my cup o' tea. Phtltptptptp *thumbs down*

As for your pod casting idea Wanye...git'er done! Eklund has a podcast, look how famous HE is now!

#45 roughneck
June 04 2009, 09:47AM

Is that supposed to be a lacuna coil t shirt on the gothic/me(n)tal munkey?

#46 Lenny Bamboo
June 04 2009, 09:56AM

Wanye, you guys should definitley do this. but i think your co-host needs a new handle, he's not know yet so its not too late. what do you think?

#47 DK0
June 04 2009, 10:27AM

@ roughneck: Haha, I totally think it is. Man the only thing Lacuna Coil is good for is when they turn off the amps and Cristina Scabbia and Angela Gossow (Arch Enemy) did that Revolver's hottest chicks in metal photo shoot.

#48 Wanye Gretz
June 04 2009, 11:26AM

@ Lenny Bamboo:

You don't like what he is going to use for a name?

What would you suggest?

PS Oprah is taken

#49 Cam
June 04 2009, 11:40AM

@ Wanye Gretz: can we make suggestions?

I think his name should be "Numb Puck"!

#50 Hemmertime
June 04 2009, 11:42AM

bingofuel wrote:

The key, as I have found, is to find a girl who loves videogames.

There is a line. I got my girl gaming thanks to Oblivion (I love you Bethesda). Sometimes now when I want to leave the house for some Red Lobster or sun shine, she prefers to stay in playing Online action games together. It sounds wonderful, except that you take a womans natural anger, add in gamer rage - and being the distance away to physically strike you - you have a recipe for getting in sheet for the strangest things.

Ever not gotten lucky because of a badly timed teamkill? I have.

I'll try not to complain TOO much tho, because a hot gamer girl is more advantageous than not.