Gregor rings... Heatley stays in Ottawa

bingofuel
June 30 2009 08:47PM

tambo-sad

10:14pm MDT update: Heatley will not waive his no-trade clause. He stays in Ottawa, and won't come here.

Earlier tonight: Just got off the phone with Gregor:

"The Oilers have traded Dustin Penner, Ladislav Smid and Andrew Cogliano for Dany Heatley. This will add $2.1 million to the Oilers' payroll."

He also mentioned that Hossa talks with LA have broken off.

Finally, the handsome devil teased me with this one: the Oil aren't done dealing yet.

OH EM GEE

243fa199ff6efc362bf29a17e950b47e
Bingofuel is the handsome cyborg who pulls all the levers behind the curtains of the OilersNation. When he isn't running the site, he's plugged into a wall socket, recharging. Or Brownlee and Wanye are playing "keep away" with him. He gets little to no respect.
Avatar
#301 gdawg
July 01 2009, 12:29AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

thashiznit wrote:

gdawg wrote: why would vinnie l. want to come here? Why would anyone want to come here… Problem is we can’t even lose properly so that we have a legit shot at a #1 pick in the draft… I fear mediocrity will continue. I thought for sure good things would happen after we hired the new coaches. Surely we could finally attract the high end players now… I don’t get it…

totally agree. when oil knew all those seasons were in the crapper they should have shot for #1 pick. but no, oil always mediocre enough to be higher than basement teams. look how pitt, chicago and washington got good, by being awful for half a decade or more

Avatar
#302 Deans
July 01 2009, 12:30AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Chris: Murray made the trade, its Heatley that is stalling. While he isnt completley against coming here, he wants to give other teams another oppurtunity to make a trade. The Rangers just slashed a bunch of salary today, perhaps he feels that they are now a player. At least that is how I read the tea leaves

Avatar
#303 Ogden Brother
July 01 2009, 12:31AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

thashiznit wrote:

gdawg wrote: why would vinnie l. want to come here? Why would anyone want to come here… Problem is we can’t even lose properly so that we have a legit shot at a #1 pick in the draft… I fear mediocrity will continue. I thought for sure good things would happen after we hired the new coaches. Surely we could finally attract the high end players now… I don’t get it…

Well for one I'm pretty sure only a handful of players pick (or even seriously consider) the coach when picking a team.

Avatar
#304 gdawg
July 01 2009, 12:31AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Chris wrote:

@ Ogden Brother: If Ottawa lied about the deadline to cause Tambo to lay down his cards to drive up the price… I want Murray charged with Tampering… or some applicable charge. This is even fishier than the Nylander fiasco. I don’t care if Murray just made a mistake… If Murray forwarded a copy of Heatley’s contract to the Oilers and they also missed the extra 24 hours, then: shame on our lawyers… If we were negotiating based only on contract info provided by the Senators: HOLD SMOEONE ACCOUNTABLE. Cogliano is a quality asset. Tambellini didn’t need to taint that relationship for nothing!

how do these so called professionals miss details like this? Someones head should roll over this

Avatar
#305 DanMan
July 01 2009, 12:32AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I'm glad Gregor ends up with egg on his face.

That's karma for the way he talks down to his listeners, he seems to think he's smarter than listeners, the other local media, the gm.

"It's a done deal. 110% done"

Way to go, buddy. I'll go to ched for breaking news henceforth.

Avatar
#306 RossCreek
July 01 2009, 12:32AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Bob Stauffer just stated that he talked to a player (although not named, it was Penner) who understands that this is a business and is willing to come back and play hard.

Ten bux Heatley's an Oiler tomorrow.

Avatar
#307 J.L.
July 01 2009, 12:32AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Shaun Doe wrote:

jeanshorts wrote: @ SAM THE MAN: I’m no expert, but I’m pretty sure those guys are professionals and if they haven’t had to deal with something like this in the past already, they sure as f*ck won’t be butthurt by it, like you apperentely are. It’s a business. Guys get traded all the time. It’s the business of professional sports. But that is neither here nor there. What happens if say, oh I don’t know, tomorrow, Dany Heatly has a good, long, hard think on the toilet in the morning while he’s dropping a poop, and says you know what, let’s do it. We’re going to Edmonton! Will you still be completely rocked and shaken to your core by the fact that a sports radio station may have jumped the gun a little early on reporting a news story? The fact that you are so utterly appalled by this is god damn hilarious. You must live a really fulfilling, fruitful life. Keep up the good work. Okay, wait. When you say, “let’s do it. We’re going to Edmonton!” Are you meaning we as in Heatley and his freshly coiled doody or we as in the royal we? I need clarification.

Post of the night.

Avatar
#308 Ogden Brother
July 01 2009, 12:33AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Chris wrote:

@ Ogden Brother: If Ottawa lied about the deadline to cause Tambo to lay down his cards to drive up the price… I want Murray charged with Tampering… or some applicable charge. This is even fishier than the Nylander fiasco. I don’t care if Murray just made a mistake… If Murray forwarded a copy of Heatley’s contract to the Oilers and they also missed the extra 24 hours, then: shame on our lawyers… If we were negotiating based only on contract info provided by the Senators: HOLD SMOEONE ACCOUNTABLE. Cogliano is a quality asset. Tambellini didn’t need to taint that relationship for nothing!

Ya I agree, this is beyond ridiculous, and if their was a misrepresntation on Ott end, their should be consequences. The worst part is if the deal doens't go through, we now have 3 key players with one more reasons to want out of here.

Avatar
#309 gdawg
July 01 2009, 12:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

DanMan wrote:

I’m glad Gregor ends up with egg on his face. That’s karma for the way he talks down to his listeners, he seems to think he’s smarter than listeners, the other local media, the gm. “It’s a done deal. 110% done” Way to go, buddy. I’ll go to ched for breaking news henceforth.

sure go to ched if you want info from the propoganda machine they seem to run involving the oilers.

Avatar
#310 RossCreek
July 01 2009, 12:35AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

J.L. wrote:

Shaun Doe wrote: jeanshorts wrote: @ SAM THE MAN: I’m no expert, but I’m pretty sure those guys are professionals and if they haven’t had to deal with something like this in the past already, they sure as f*ck won’t be butthurt by it, like you apperentely are. It’s a business. Guys get traded all the time. It’s the business of professional sports. But that is neither here nor there. What happens if say, oh I don’t know, tomorrow, Dany Heatly has a good, long, hard think on the toilet in the morning while he’s dropping a poop, and says you know what, let’s do it. We’re going to Edmonton! Will you still be completely rocked and shaken to your core by the fact that a sports radio station may have jumped the gun a little early on reporting a news story? The fact that you are so utterly appalled by this is god damn hilarious. You must live a really fulfilling, fruitful life. Keep up the good work. Okay, wait. When you say, “let’s do it. We’re going to Edmonton!” Are you meaning we as in Heatley and his freshly coiled doody or we as in the royal we? I need clarification. Post of the night.

Seconded.

Avatar
#311 mattyfinch
July 01 2009, 12:36AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

aight fellas thats enough gossiping for me tonight.

what will happen will happen, far outside our reach.

love the copper and blue for richer or poor.

lates

Avatar
#312 RossCreek
July 01 2009, 12:37AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Ogden Brother wrote:

The worst part is if the deal doens’t go through, we now have 3 key players with one more reasons to want out of here.

RossCreek wrote:

Bob Stauffer just stated that he talked to a player (although not named, it was Penner) who understands that this is a business and is willing to come back and play hard.

maybe just 2.

Avatar
#313 gdawg
July 01 2009, 12:37AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

all this talk and its only july 1st. makes me wish training camp started tomorrow.

Avatar
#314 Hemmertime
July 01 2009, 12:41AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

gdawg wrote:

“It’s a done deal. 110% done”

Technically it was, they struck a deal. That was accurate. Supposedly we were on his list before.

Avatar
#315 Shaun Doe
July 01 2009, 12:42AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

jeanshorts wrote:

@ Shaun Doe: *quickly runs back in* Can’t it be both? I like to think he has an entire room at his estate dedicated to hall of fame poops. You know, those real big coilers that you just have to take a picture of and send to all your friends. And also “we” as in the group of Yes Men he surrounds himself with so he has constant reassurance of how great he is.

I like to picture him placing his prized photos in a "log" book. Get it?

Avatar
#316 Hemmertime
July 01 2009, 12:43AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

DanMan wrote:

I’m glad Gregor ends up with egg on his face. ... Way to go, buddy. I’ll go to ched for breaking news henceforth.

Breaking Filtered news.

Avatar
#317 gdawg
July 01 2009, 12:44AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Hemmertime wrote:

DanMan wrote: I’m glad Gregor ends up with egg on his face. … Way to go, buddy. I’ll go to ched for breaking news henceforth. Breaking Filtered news.

just a bunch of puppets at ched

Avatar
#318 Ogden Brother
July 01 2009, 12:48AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

RossCreek wrote:

Ogden Brother wrote: The worst part is if the deal doens’t go through, we now have 3 key players with one more reasons to want out of here. RossCreek wrote: Bob Stauffer just stated that he talked to a player (although not named, it was Penner) who understands that this is a business and is willing to come back and play hard. maybe just 2.

Ya who knows. I'd expect them to say the right thing.

Avatar
#319 Hocknee Fann
July 01 2009, 12:48AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Hemmertime wrote:

DanMan wrote: I’m glad Gregor ends up with egg on his face. … Way to go, buddy. I’ll go to ched for breaking news henceforth. Breaking Filtered news.

Hallsy would probably break the odd story on CHED unfiltered, but forgets about it in between a 20-min long TR commercial rant he gets into - talking about "the mouth watering Roma burger! Mmmmmm good - TRs!"

Gregor jumps in and beats him to the punch!

Avatar
#320 RossCreek
July 01 2009, 12:48AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

So what was the 2nd trade that was coming? Everyone forgot? RWHA!?

Avatar
#321 Jason Gregor
July 01 2009, 12:49AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ SAM THE MAN:

Take a bit of a breather Sam. I have a source that has never misled me in the time I've known him. I wouldn't rip him and back stab him in this case. We have spoke many times during the night, and he is still frustrated and disappointed with how it came about.

I said if it turns out I was wrong I will take my lumps, but considering that Bob McKenzie had the whole trade well before hand, albeit he never CONFIRMED it, you would think it was right there.

I trusted my source and went with it, and it now it seems Heatley had a change of heart and wants to think about it.

I'll take my lumps, but I don't believe my source misled me and I never intended to do the same to the NATION or TEAM 1260 listeners.

Avatar
#322 RossCreek
July 01 2009, 12:51AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Hocknee Fann wrote:

Hallsy would probably break the odd story on CHED unfiltered, but forgets about it in between a 20-min long TR commercial rant he gets into - talking about “the mouth watering Roma burger! Mmmmmm good - TRs!”

LOL!

Avatar
#323 Cory Dakin
July 01 2009, 12:52AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Heatley is coming to Edmonton.. I feel it in my loins.. And my loins are never wrong...

Avatar
#324 Chris
July 01 2009, 12:55AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Jason Gregor:

Who knew about the 24 extension and when? If I was in a poker game and a buddy called my hand... and I layed down my cards... I'm kicking the table accross the room if they descide to have another draw.

Avatar
#325 RossCreek
July 01 2009, 12:55AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Jason Gregor: #196 RossCreek June 30 2009, 11:25 pm.

I like Gregor. He hasn’t lost me. The TEAM hasn’t lost me. But BIGG PROPS to DAN TENCER tonight. I haven’t listened to him or CHED a whole lot, but had BOTH goin on the net.

@ Jason Gregor: Chin up pal. Happened to Bob a couple years back. You have your sources, and if you want to break the big stories, you gotta trust them. Still trust ya bra!

Avatar
#326 DanMan
July 01 2009, 12:55AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I dont actually like ched.

It was a bitter, rash, posting.

I like gregors show, and talk radio would be boring without argumanets.

But sometimes he comes off as being arrogant and thinks he's more knowledgeable than the "nameless, faceless" bloggers he always derides for talking about trade rumors.

What he did tonight was present something as "110%" factual when it was incorrect. That is irresponsible and unprofessional

Avatar
#327 Hocknee Fann
July 01 2009, 12:56AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Cory Dakin wrote:

Heatley is coming to Edmonton.. I feel it in my loins.. And my loins are never wrong…

Speaking of loins, why not head down to TRs and try that mouth watering sir-loin Roma burger...

Okay, I'll stop with my Hallsy moments for tonight!

Avatar
#328 Sandra
July 01 2009, 12:56AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I am reading that Fisher was coming here in the deal. Pouliot was offered but the Sens didn't want him. More to this than what was leaked about Penner, Cogs and Smid. It does look like Murry had "Lowed" Tambo. Why is it that no one wants to come here? Has Lowe done that much damage to the Oilers and Edmonton? Seriously ask one of the players, it's the fans that are paying for it. I read that the Oilers were and were not on the list , Which one is correct?

Avatar
#329 Cory Dakin
July 01 2009, 12:57AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Jason Gregor:

Nothing to worry about Gregor... He's the only one who's looking to hand out criticism.. You had a reliable source and went with it. Any one of us would do the same in your position. The deal obviously was in place, that much is very clear. Your credibility is quite safe.

Avatar
#330 Cory Dakin
July 01 2009, 12:58AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Hocknee Fann:

HA!

I love hallsy.

Avatar
#331 RossCreek
July 01 2009, 12:59AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Cory Dakin wrote:

Heatley is coming to Edmonton.. I feel it in my loins.. And my loins are never wrong…

I agree with your loins. The PR guys are already workin on it. I bet it goes down right around noon ET and The Nation ERUPTS! And all is forgiven... except you SAM THE MAN........................................................ i kid, i kid.

Avatar
#332 Sandra
July 01 2009, 01:00AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Jason Gregor: Jason, you are a great person , you did well. Your lumps aren't waranted.

Avatar
#333 RossCreek
July 01 2009, 01:01AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Sandra wrote:

I am reading that Fisher was coming here in the deal. Pouliot was offered but the Sens didn’t want him. More to this than what was leaked about Penner, Cogs and Smid. It does look like Murry had “Lowed” Tambo.

(s5)

Avatar
#334 Hemmertime
July 01 2009, 01:01AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Heatley sleeping on it to make Oiler fans unable to sleep. If the bastard just wanted time to fly to Edmonton tonight to put on an Oiler jersey is the only acceptable reason. Cmon Heatley

Avatar
#335 Sandra
July 01 2009, 01:03AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ RossCreek: there is more than Eklund out there, don't compare me to him. Lots of hockey sites with rumours.

Avatar
#336 Chris
July 01 2009, 01:04AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

~I'm glad Tambellini can go into free agent negotiations fresh and well rested... completely sure of his direction and strategy.~

Avatar
#337 RossCreek
July 01 2009, 01:06AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

In case you missed it...Marian Hossa has been given permission to have preliminary discussions with two NHL teams: the Vancouver Canucks and the Boston Bruins.

Avatar
#338 Shaun Doe
July 01 2009, 01:06AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Chris wrote:

~I’m glad Tambellini can go into free agent negotiations fresh and well rested… completely sure of his direction and strategy.~

Really, I understand that its the nautre of the beast to be thinking of a million different plans all at once. But with this situation I feel like we have been handcuffed into a waiting game similar to what the Habs faced last season with the Sundin saga. You would think that there should be some form of compensation for an event like this but once again, thats just how the negotiation game is played. And played, is what we got.

Avatar
#339 Chris
July 01 2009, 01:07AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

If I'm the Rangers: I don't want Heatley. Manhatten isn't the best environment for a player who is prone to distraction. I figured a tour in Edmonton would refocus Heater on hockey...

Avatar
#340 Hocknee Fann
July 01 2009, 01:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

RossCreek wrote:

In case you missed it…Marian Hossa has been given permission to have preliminary discussions with two NHL teams: the Vancouver Canucks and the Boston Bruins.

And the Oilers so he can tell them again that he's not interested.

Avatar
#341 Chris
July 01 2009, 01:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ RossCreek:

Oh Gawd! I can feel the Sedins coming on like a cold... SSSSSEEEDDIINNNS! *like a sneeze*

Avatar
#342 Chris
July 01 2009, 01:12AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Well thats it for me fellow posters... I'm all out of wiskey.

Avatar
#343 Hocknee Fann
July 01 2009, 01:13AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

What a mess though if Heatley signs with another team, and the likes of McKenzie, Dreger and others all agree that the Oilers offer was better.

I mean we need a goal scorer, but the Oilers should tell the Sens the deal is off the table. Too bad now that everybody out there knows who they are willing to peddle.

Avatar
#344 Ogden Brother
July 01 2009, 01:14AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Jason Gregor wrote:

@ SAM THE MAN: Take a bit of a breather Sam. I have a source that has never misled me in the time I’ve known him. I wouldn’t rip him and back stab him in this case. We have spoke many times during the night, and he is still frustrated and disappointed with how it came about. I said if it turns out I was wrong I will take my lumps, but considering that Bob McKenzie had the whole trade well before hand, albeit he never CONFIRMED it, you would think it was right there. I trusted my source and went with it, and it now it seems Heatley had a change of heart and wants to think about it. I’ll take my lumps, but I don’t believe my source misled me and I never intended to do the same to the NATION or TEAM 1260 listeners.

I wouldn't worry about it, he's obviously a guy with an ax to grind from something else. ON still has your back.

Avatar
#345 Dean
July 01 2009, 01:14AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Hocknee Fann wrote:

A dude is on Tencer’s show right now on 630 CHED ragging on Gregor. Tencer says that he has credible and reliable sources and was told not to go on air with the story that a deal was made.

If Tencer allowed that that shows no class. I've heard people try to rip Hallsy or Tencer on Gregor's show and he stops them. He says don't rip on a guy from a rival station, go rip him to his face on his show.

That is professional in my mind. Gregor might have jumped the gun a bit today, although this doesn't seem over yet, but I don't think that makes him unprofessional.

Avatar
#346 RossCreek
July 01 2009, 01:15AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Chris wrote:

@ RossCreek: Oh Gawd! I can feel the Sedins coming on like a cold… SSSSSEEEDDIINNNS! *like a sneeze*

Tell me The Nation wouldn't ERUPT if Tambellini locked them up tomorrow by 3.

Avatar
#347 Ogden Brother
July 01 2009, 01:15AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Sandra wrote:

I am reading that Fisher was coming here in the deal. Pouliot was offered but the Sens didn’t want him. More to this than what was leaked about Penner, Cogs and Smid. It does look like Murry had “Lowed” Tambo. Why is it that no one wants to come here? Has Lowe done that much damage to the Oilers and Edmonton? Seriously ask one of the players, it’s the fans that are paying for it. I read that the Oilers were and were not on the list , Which one is correct?

~Great point, talent was lining up to come here and stay before Lowe~

Avatar
#348 Mike from Hardware
July 01 2009, 01:21AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I will ask this now even though by the time I wake up tomorrow, it will probably be irrelevant and buried in five more pages of people screaming at Gregor for an honest oopsie, BUT:

RossCreek wrote:

In case you missed it…Marian Hossa has been given permission to have preliminary discussions with two NHL teams: the Vancouver Canucks and the Boston Bruins.

Since when can you just GIVE permission to teams to start talking to your UFA's? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having to wait for July 1, unless of course you're willing to pay the price of assets in exchange for a few days of discussion prior? Seems like a brutal concept.

Avatar
#349 Hocknee Fann
July 01 2009, 01:22AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Dean: Even Stauffer would stop callers from ripping on the CHED guys when he was on the Team.

Gregor won't be the first or the last to jump the gun. In fairness, it sounds like both teams felt the deal was done too. But nobody (either team) checked with Dany or his agent Re: his no movement clause.

Goodnight all - tomorrow should be interesting. Curious what both teams (particularly the Oil) will have to say on the Heatley mess. And what other UFA action will take place.

Avatar
#350 humantorch
July 01 2009, 01:57AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

This whole mess makes me want to punch a baby.

Comments are closed for this article.