More fodder for hatred of the East

Jean Lefebvre
August 19 2009 04:53PM

Hockey on the tube

Western Canadian hockey fans, commence grumbling. There's really nothing all that surprising about the TSN broadcast schedule released Wednesday but for those who enjoy complaining about Eastern bias and taking potshots at the so-called Centre of the Universe, you've been well served.

The Flames, Oilers and Canucks will all make 11 appearances on either TSN or TSN2 -- one pre-season tilt plus 10 regular-season matchups. The Ottawa Senators also get the exact same exposure.

The Maple Leafs, meanwhile, will be on the air 19 times -- two tune-ups and 17 regular-season games. Perhaps TSN will be able to coax Brian Burke out of his shell to make an appearance during at least one of those broadcasts.

The Canadiens, the country's other love-'em-or-hate-'em outfit, will be on the tube for one regular-season game and 16 regular matches.

If folks in Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver really want to be crotchety, they'll beef about the fact that the Penguins (13 games), Capitals (12) and Blackhawks (12) will all be on one of the TSN channels more often than the Canadian clubs situated west of Mississauga.

Over at the Corp, there's lots more Buds and Habs -- 24 Toronto games and 22 Montreal contests. The Canucks are next in CBC appearances at 15 games, followed by Edmonton and Ottawa with 12 apiece and Calgary last with 11.

Western clubs on TSN

Flames (all times Mountain) Pre-season Saturday, September 26 Vancouver @ Calgary 7pm TSN2 Regular season Wednesday, November 4 Calgary @ Dallas 6:30pm TSN Thursday, November 19 Chicago @ Calgary 7:30pm TSN Wednesday, November 25 Phoenix @ Calgary 7:30pm TSN Thursday, December 17 Los Angeles @ Calgary 7:30pm TSN Wednesday, December 23 St. Louis @ Calgary 7:30pm TSN Wednesday, January 13 Pittsburgh @ Calgary 7:30pm TSN Thursday, January 21 Chicago @ Calgary 7:30pm TSN Monday, March 15 Detroit @ Calgary 7:30pm TSN Wednesday, March 17 Calgary @ Colorado 7pm TSN Tuesday, April 6 San Jose @ Calgary 7:30pm TSN

Oilers (all times Mountain) Pre-season Thursday, September 24 Edmonton @ Tampa Bay 6:30pm TSN Regular season Wednesday, October 14 Edmonton @ Chicago 6:30pm TSN Thursday, October 29 Detroit @ Edmonton 7:30pm TSN Wednesday, November 11 Edmonton @ Buffalo 5pm TSN Wednesday, November 18 Colorado @ Edmonton 7pm TSN Thursday, January 14 Pittsburgh @ Edmonton 7:30pm TSN Tuesday, January 26 Chicago @ Edmonton 7:30pm TSN Wednesday, February 3 Philadelphia @ Edmonton 7:30pm TSN Wednesday, February 10 Edmonton @ Anaheim 8pm TSN Friday, March 19 Detroit @ Edmonton 7:30pm TSN Monday, April 5 Minnesota @ Edmonton 7:30pm TSN

Canucks (all times Pacific) Pre-season Saturday, September 26 Vancouver @ Calgary 6pm TSN2 Regular season Wednesday, October 7 Montreal @ Vancouver 7pm TSN Wednesday, October 21 Vancouver @ Chicago 5:30pm TSN Tuesday, November 3 NY Rangers @ Vancouver 7pm TSN Wednesday, December 2 Vancouver @ New Jersey 4pm TSN Wednesday, December 16 Anaheim @ Vancouver 7pm TSN Friday, December 18 Washington @ Vancouver 7pm TSN Wednesday, March 3 Vancouver @ Detroit 4:30pm TSN Wednesday, March 10 Vancouver @ Phoenix 7pm TSN Thursday, March 18 San Jose @ Vancouver 7pm TSN Wednesday, March 24 Anaheim @ Vancouver 7pm TSN

Western clubs on HNIC

Thursday, October 1 Vancouver at Calgary Saturday, October 3 Calgary at Edmonton Saturday, October 10 Montreal at Edmonton Saturday, October 24 Toronto at Vancouver; Edmonton at Calgary Saturday, October 31 Detroit at Calgary Saturday, November 7 New York Rangers at Calgary Saturday, November 14 Calgary at Toronto; Vancouver at Colorado Saturday, November 21 Chicago at Edmonton Saturday, November 28 Edmonton at Vancouver Saturday, December 5 Calgary at San Jose Saturday, December 12 Minnesota at Vancouver Saturday, December 19 Nashville at Calgary; Washington at Edmonton Saturday, December 26 Edmonton at Vancouver Saturday, January 2 Toronto at Calgary; Edmonton at San Jose Saturday, January 9 Calgary at Vancouver Sunday, January 16 Pittsburgh at Vancouver Saturday, January 23 Chicago at Vancouver Saturday, January 30 Vancouver at Toronto; Edmonton at Calgary Saturday, February 6 Edmonton at Colorado Saturday, February 13 Anaheim at Calgary Saturday, March 13 Edmonton at Toronto; Ottawa at Vancouver Saturday, March 20 Detroit at Vancouver Saturday, March 27 Vancouver at San Jose Saturday, April 3 Edmonton at Phoenix Saturday, April 10 Calgary at Vancouver

32a247e515fecc03210581093e1a5ee8
Lefebvre is in that awkward stage of hockey following -- old enough to fondly remember the Cleveland Barons and too set in his ways to accept charity points and games where there's a winner but apparently no loser. As a long-time ink-stained wretch, he's also a firm believer in the old Bobby Knight quote about journalists: "All of us learn to write in second grade, but most of us go on to better things."
#1 ScubaSteve
August 19 2009, 05:07PM

If this was the publicly funded CBC, we'd have a beef, but it's not, TSN is in it for the ratings, and TO, Pits & Washington bring those ratings.

I'd rather watch the game on sportsnet anyway, at least pierre (bobblehead) mcguire isn't on sportsnet.

#2 Bettman4PM
August 19 2009, 05:23PM

@ ScubaSteve:

No doubt, listening to Pierre talk about his man crush for Phaneuf or about how Ron Wilson should have won the Jack Adams last year is worse than fingernails across a chalkboard....

#3 Librarian Mike
August 19 2009, 05:50PM

Meh. I can't say I'm surprised. It's like the judging in Figure Skating and Russ Howard's yelling. I like to think of it as a great opportunity to watch the commentators find a silver lining in the Leafs' performance when they're getting blown away 6-1 by Washington.

#4 vern
August 19 2009, 05:50PM

I was praying Mcquire got the job in minny. Just to get him of the air.

#5 freeze
August 19 2009, 06:35PM

Thank god that Crawford is off the CBC this year!! I hated his delivery and voice. I'll take the TSN team over SN, SN is too neutered and boring. I wonder how many PPV games we'll have to deal with?

#6 jeanshorts
August 19 2009, 06:48PM

vern wrote:

I was praying Mcquire got the job in minny. Just to get him of the air.

You and me both brother. TSN should just give Ferraro that main slot anyway. He's just as knowledgeable and doesn't put his own agenda first. And he doesn't sugar coat anything. He's blunt and awesome.

#7 jeanshorts
August 19 2009, 06:50PM

I should say Ferraro is blunt and awesome, without being a douche like Healy.

#8 Bettman4PM
August 19 2009, 07:15PM

freeze wrote:

Thank god that Crawford is off the CBC this year!! I hated his delivery and voice. I’ll take the TSN team over SN, SN is too neutered and boring. I wonder how many PPV games we’ll have to deal with?

I concur, although in all fairness to Crawford he was of course looking to get back into the league so he had to always choose his words/thoughts carefully so as to not possibly offend any potential employers.

#9 RedMile
August 19 2009, 07:21PM

This is really not a surprise. TSN goes where the $$ is, and anyone who's ever spent any time in the east knows that Toronto and Montreal are where the money is (if you equate money with # of potential viewers). TSN's french-language station, RDS broadcasts EVERY SINGLE Habs game. That should be a pretty good indicator of the difference between the east and the west. Sure, as fans we're just as passionate as they are in TO and Mtl, but we're just fewer. What can we do about that?!!

Looks like it will be another year of mainly Sportsnet sprinkled with a bit of TSN and CBC (minus Crawford, thank Gawd!).

#10 Wyseguy
August 19 2009, 07:40PM

I used to prefer hnic, but each year I'm liking tsn more and more. Yeah, McGuire's ego can get annoying sometimes, but he shows more passion for the game than anyone else on tv. As for sports net, as much as I don't think they do as good of a job, I'm glad they're around as it means every Oil game is on TV.

And since I live in the Okanagan, thank God Shaw has been offering the centre ice package, I absolutely hate the Canucks.

#11 hemi
August 19 2009, 07:41PM

Not surprised here at all. Grew up hating and I mean HATING both the Laughs and the Habs. When was the last time that the Oil, Flames, Vancouver and Ottawa were given equal billing or status by TSN and of course, the CBC (Communist Broadcasting Corporation).

Somethings never change I guess including my hatred for these two horrible teams.

Go OIL Go

#12 Librarian Mike
August 19 2009, 07:52PM

jeanshorts wrote:

I should say Ferraro is blunt and awesome, without being a douche like Healy.

The lasting image I have of Healy is when they retired Messier's number in New York, and they brought out the '94 team. Everybody was smiling and waving and having a great time...

And then out came Healy. He looked miserable! I wonder what happened before the ceremony...any idea, Robin?

#13 Robin Brownlee
August 19 2009, 08:13PM

Librarian Mike wrote:

jeanshorts wrote: I should say Ferraro is blunt and awesome, without being a douche like Healy. The lasting image I have of Healy is when they retired Messier’s number in New York, and they brought out the ‘94 team. Everybody was smiling and waving and having a great time… And then out came Healy. He looked miserable! I wonder what happened before the ceremony…any idea, Robin?

It was that night that Mark Messier told Healy his Cup ring was glass instead of diamonds because he really hadn't contributed that much.

#14 Librarian Mike
August 19 2009, 08:20PM

@ Robin Brownlee:

Messier: "Hey, everyone point and laugh at Mr. Sieve!"

Everyone: *pointing* HAHAHAHAHA!

#15 jeanshorts
August 19 2009, 09:00PM

@ Librarian Mike:

I actually met Healy at a restaurant a few months ago, and he didn't crack a smile once during his dinner. Believe me, I was staring at the table hardcore. He was with Sundin and two beautiful blondes. Sundin was nice enough though.

But it sure makes sense why he'd be the mouthpiece for the PA.

#16 HOZ
August 19 2009, 09:12PM

It was mentioned before TSN is a private corporation unlike CBC. They need to make a profit.

That said Laffer fans tend to be brain dead, and loyal to a fault. The HABS fans, on the other hand, are without a doubt the most classless fans in North America.

#17 Lofty
August 20 2009, 06:19AM

Im going NHL center ice and I'm going to see more Oil games than any of you!

#18 roadrunner
August 20 2009, 06:24AM

All I have to say is thank God for SportsNet. Gotta love being local...

#19 MattN
August 20 2009, 07:03AM

Here is a crazy thought. Perhaps if the Oilers stopped sucking and made the playoffs, they would get on the tube more. I am guessing that Chicago wasn't making a whole lot of HNIC appearances a few years back when Tyler Arnason was their leading scorer.

BTW

NHL.com FTW

I purchased their online coverage last year and will continue to do so. Stats, multiple games at the same time, cool replay options of every goal scored from every player.

#20 BigE57
August 20 2009, 07:37AM

@ MattN:

If the Blackhawks are on HNIC it's because they are playing a Canadian team.

#21 The Towel Boy
August 20 2009, 07:54AM

Lofty wrote:

Im going NHL center ice and I’m going to see more Oil games than any of you!

Actually...you won't see any more Oil games on Center Ice than you would on regular TV...unless you live outside the Oiler broadcast area, then it's your only option to see regionally broadcast Oil games.

I've had center ice a couple times. Living in the Oilers' viewing area didn't give me any more Oil games to watch. I wanted it back in the day when there was like 10 Oiler games that weren't broadcast. But now they all are. The one's that maybe aren't regularly broadcast are now PPV games...and even with center ice you still have to pay for those if you live in the broadcast area.

Center Ice allowed me to watch lots of Sens, Leafs, and Canucks games...including their PPV broadcasts...but not any greater number of Oiler games.

#22 Wyseguy
August 20 2009, 09:16AM

@ The Towel Boy: I've had centre ice for 2 seasons, and along with my hockey pool it's done nothing but stregthen my addiction to hockey. I live in BC, so all you get are canuck games, they make me sick. I bought centre ice purely to watch Oil games, but if I've got nothing going on, there's always a game somewhere in NHL land to watch. Also fun to pop back and forth between games to keep an eye on your poolie team or guys you may want to pick up.

centre ice is almost better than alcohol, but if you combine the two it's incredible. Both addictions have the potential for your wife leaving you.

#23 Librarian Mike
August 20 2009, 09:45AM

Wyseguy wrote:

Both addictions have the potential for your wife leaving you.

Throw in 'Left 4 Dead', and you are almost guaranteed to die alone. haha.

#24 Fish
August 20 2009, 09:49AM

hemi wrote:

Why would they give us equal TV time when most of the population lives in the East. It's simple demographics.

#25 OvenChicken8
August 20 2009, 09:51AM

Librarian Mike wrote:

Wyseguy wrote: Both addictions have the potential for your wife leaving you. Throw in ‘Left 4 Dead’, and you are almost guaranteed to die alone. haha.

This sounds like a country song.

#26 Fish
August 20 2009, 09:54AM

Glenn Healy is the most loathsome individual on T.V. Just a miserable pr*ck.

#27 daveeed
August 20 2009, 10:01AM

I can't stand the Leafs (though the last few years they have been kind of pathetic and my ire has waned) and don't really care one way or the other about the Habs. I think its laughable their fans were booing so much last year because they seemed to think it was predetermined they were going to win the Cup just because it was their 100th year.

But, to get upset that they are shown more on TSN/CBC would be stupid. They have by far the biggest fanbases, and are the two biggest cities and will draw more eyes to the tv than the other teams. And I agree with the other comments that if the Oilers were a dominant team, they would get shown more.

But to whine about tv coverage like this is just fueling the "Boo hoo nobody likes us" mentality. Guess what, no one cares about Edmonton outside of Edmonton. They don't even think about Edmonton. And so what? Do you ever think about Regina other than it rhymes with vagina? It's a great place to be, the people rock, we throw a good a party. I live in Calgary right now and I miss it and will be moving back in the near future. Every Oilers game will be on TV, whether its CBC, TSN, Sportsnet, or PPV. How is this not good enough?

#28 Wyseguy
August 20 2009, 10:11AM

@ daveeed: absolutely agree, as long as I can watch the game, I'm happy

#29 Chris
August 20 2009, 10:22AM

MattN wrote:

Here is a crazy thought. Perhaps if the Oilers stopped sucking and made the playoffs, they would get on the tube more. I am guessing that Chicago wasn’t making a whole lot of HNIC appearances a few years back when Tyler Arnason was their leading scorer.

You couldn't be more correct, I mean look at how team success is correlated to HNIC time.

Toronto makes the playoffs all the time, so they get the most coverage and Calgary hasn't made the playoffs since the lockout so they get the least coverage.

#30 OvenChicken8
August 20 2009, 10:24AM

Chris wrote:

You couldn’t be more correct, I mean look at how team success is correlated to HNIC time. Toronto makes the playoffs all the time, so they get the most coverage and Calgary hasn’t made the playoffs since the lockout so they get the least coverage.

~I wonder if we are going to see a game this year that doesn't involve either the Islanders or the Lightning?~

#31 mooks
August 20 2009, 12:52PM

You are forgetting that TSN only has the rights to 10 Oilers games. It's how the Oil sold the rights and the break-down and discussion was months ago. We knew how many times we'd see the Oil on TSN, what's the big deal? http://www.oilersnation.com/2009/07/dogged-by-the-schedule/

#32 Morghasm
August 20 2009, 01:23PM

@ Chris: ha, that totally made my day. It was much wittier than the "wow, you're clearly an idiot" statement I was going to direct @MattN.

#33 cpetruk
August 20 2009, 03:48PM

As frustrating as it is to get the shaft (again) from Eastern Canada, I do enjoy watching the Leaves lose, almost as much as seeing the Oil win.

Unfortunately, the former seems to deliver with more regularity.

#34 David S
August 20 2009, 09:16PM

Geez you guys. If you make the slightest bit of effort, you can watch as many games as you want. Between the regular feeds, hitting the local bar, good ole atdhe.net or (lord forbid) going to a few games, you'll have it covered.

Unless you want to be Jabba the Hut shut-ins watching hi-def games wrapped in snuggies, just deal with it.

#35 ScubaSteve