Preseason Game No. 6: I forget the clever name I came up with

Ryan Lambert
October 01 2010 06:21PM

This is the closest thing to an NHL roster Calgary will ice this preseason, so why not enjoy it?

The problem, obviously, is that this may not be the best way to judge the quality of the Flames' NHL roster, given that the opponent tonight is an upper-midtable AHL squad.

Oh, I'm sorry, that's the Edmonton Oilers, playing more or less what they will slog through all 82 interminable games with this year. You look at that top six and go, "Well, Hall and Eberle centered by Horcoff, that'll be a decent line," and yeah, you're probably right. Decent. That's about it. Can't count on two rookies between a a guy who's broken 20 goals or 40 assists twice and once in his life, respectively, to carry the water offensively, but they'll be fun to watch when the kids aren't hopelessly over their heads, as they are wont to be on some night. Good for them, though.

Then there's the second line, where a couple guys like Paajarvi and Hemsky can probably do real damage if they're not challenged physically, or, less likely, if Sam Gagner can get his faceoff percentage about .450. But yeah, the kid on this line looks like the real deal, and Hemsky's skill is undeniable.

But that bottom six might be the worst excuse for a bottom six I've ever seen in my life, and I saw the 2009-10 Oilers play a bunch of times. Look at these freakin' stiffs. Jones, O'Marra, Reddox, MacIntyre, Vande Velde and Stortini. Wow. That's not even a group of guys who would do especially well at the AHL level. I honestly can't believe Liam Reddox is cashing NHL game checks. Who says it's hard to get a job these days?

Not that Flames supporters should be doing too much back-patting over the Calgary bottom six, of course. Injuries have necessitated that guys be kept around the big club longer than they should've, and while Curtis Glencross is as legit a third-line scoring threat as may exist in the league today — 33 points in 67 games getting just 15 minutes a night is pretty damn good — the rest are guys who are here because other people are hurt and Darryl Sutter can't manage anything that even resembles a salary cap.

Stefan Meyer has been a pleasant surprise, but if anyone is currently counting on him to eat third- or even fourth-line minutes at this point, the management asks that they kindly see themselves out. Brett Sutter is a more preferable fixture on the team, just to give you an idea of where Meyer's at.

Tim Jackman, as was pointed out to me by Kent last game post, is likely to be on this team for the duration, but goddamn does he stink. I'd almost rather have Jon Rheault (but not really).

'Course, this game has the potential for some fireworks, as all Battles of Alberta do. Flames/Oilers and all that. Top lines, real NHL goalies (well, if you can call Khabibulin an NHL goalie at this point given the wonky back and the glug glug and the year off and the no longer good when he wasn't a year off and the prison sentence and the playing behind that D corps and the being 62 years old).

But hey, have fun out there, eh?

686dfac3780611cb7acad6ce5166c6c1
October 01 2010, 06:47PM

haha. The rare post that covers the trash talk for both sides.

#3 dustin642
October 01 2010, 08:14PM

Ryan Lambert, you have quite an amazing ability to make me laugh, while at the same time depress the crap out of me.

October 01 2010, 08:19PM

Always good for a chuckle. I've gotta say, though, is Jackman really that bad for a 4th liner? I think he's tolerable in that role. If you absolutely have to have some big dude who's expected to punch guys, you could do worse (Ivanans- oh).

#5 dustin642
October 01 2010, 08:25PM
SmellOfVictory wrote:

I really like Jackman as a 4th liner too and think he will benefit from being on the flames this year as opposed to being on a crap team like the Islanders. The dude is all heart. Wish I was watching this game (stupid Vancouver Island!!) can't find it online anywhere.

#6 Robert Cleave
October 01 2010, 08:47PM

To be quite honest™, it's been kind of a crap game through 2 periods. I'm mostly just hoping no one else gets hurt at this point.

October 01 2010, 09:04PM
Robert Cleave wrote:

Are you listening? I'm just checking scores and such. I heard both Moss and Kotalik went down though.

#8 Robert Cleave
October 01 2010, 09:09PM

Watching, amigo. Moss was grabbing his forearm/wrist when he left, and Kotalik was limping noticeably.

For the Flames, Iggy's got good legs tonight, and the Oiler kids haven't done much, mostly because the Flames have had a million PPs.

#9 B
October 01 2010, 09:20PM

...haha. Karlsson just stoned Reddox on a breakway with the old school pad stack poke check.

#10 Robert Cleave
October 01 2010, 09:27PM

Way to take one for the team, Raitis. Oh, and a very nice shot by Jon Rheault, too.

October 01 2010, 09:29PM
Robert Cleave wrote:

Watching? I didn't even know it was on anywhere.

#12 Robert Cleave
October 01 2010, 09:34PM

Watching? I didn't even know it was on anywhere.

It was on the Oilers SN overflow channel. 678 for you, I'd guess. I got to listen to Louie DeBrusk and Kevin Quinn, which may not have been the best use of my evening, but there you have it.

With you not watching and Pat at the Stamps' game, does this mean I should do a wrap-up?

#13 icedawg_42
October 01 2010, 09:35PM

Is there anyone left who doesnt have a man-crush on TJ Brodie? seriously - not just when he's scoring - I found myself saying "damn that kid's good" over and over.

October 01 2010, 09:40PM
Robert Cleave wrote:

haha, yup. It's preseason, so no big deal either way.

How did Brodie look this eve?

#15 Robert Cleave
October 01 2010, 09:45PM

haha, yup. It's preseason, so no big deal either way.

How did Brodie look this eve?

I'll have something up later tonight.

Brodie was OK. He got caught on a poor read that lead to a Hemsky breakaway, which he then stopped by catching Ales from behind at the last minute. Otherwise, he and Pardy were never really in trouble, and he scored a nice, opportunistic goal to finish the night.

I have to slightly temper most of the praise I have for any of the Flames, though, because the Oilers spent most of the game being either a) undisciplined, or b) really lousy.

#16 jess
October 01 2010, 10:25PM

TLP/Ryan it's nice to see you contributing around these parts. Missed it.

I missed the game, but it's nice to see that the flames are still dropping like flies.

Anyone remember that post Kent made about all the UFA's on one team?

Sutter better remember that post.

October 01 2010, 10:47PM

Are you talking about the All Reject Team? Unfortunately, a lot of those guys have been scooped up.

#18 jess
October 02 2010, 10:38AM

I realize that, I was hoping Sutter would take note and feel embarrassed.

#19 Tach
October 02 2010, 09:16PM

I know this post is way stale, but no mention of Penner in this post...comedy opportunity fail.