Preseason Gameday Update - October 1st

Pat Steinberg
October 01 2010 01:52PM

UNIONDALE, NY - MARCH 25: Goalie Miikka Kiprusoff #34 of the Calgary Flames against the New York Islanders during an NHL game at the Nassau Coliseum on March 25, 2010 in Uniondale, New York. (Photo by Paul Bereswill/Getty Images)

For the first time this preseason, the Calgary Flames take on the Edmonton Oilers with both teams still unbeaten in exhibition action (7 pm, Rogers Sportsnet Flames and The FAN 960).  It's a game that could be looked at as a dress rehearsal for both teams, with close-to opening day rosters being iced on both sides.

Here are lines and pairings for the Flames:

Alex Tanguay-Mikael Backlund-Jarome Iginla
Niklas Hagman-David Moss-Ales Kotalik
Curtis Glencross-Stefan Meyer-Tim Jackman
Raitis Ivanans-Brett Sutter-Jon Rheault

Ian White-Robyn Regehr
Jay Bouwmeester-Steve Staios
T.J. Brodie-Adam Pardy

Both Rene Bourque and Olli Jokinen will miss the game tonight for the Flames as they continue to miss time due to maintenance issues.  We know Jokinen's issue remains that pulled muscle he suffered Tuesday night against Phoenix.  I'm not overly worried about either, knowing that it is the preseason and every precaution is going to be taken.  Miikka Kiprusoff and Henrik Karlsson will split duty in net for the Flames tonight.

On the Oilers side, here's what you're looking at:

Taylor Hall-Shaun Horcoff-Jordan Eberle
Magnus Paajarvi-Sam Gagner-Ales Hemsky
Ryan Jones-Ryan O'Marra-Liam Reddox
Steve MacIntyre-Chris Vande Velde-Zach Stortini

Ryan Whitney-Tom Gilbert
Ladislav Smid-Kurtis Foster
Theo Peckham-Jim Vandermeer

From what we've heard, Nikolai Khabibulin should get the start in net for the Oilers and go the whole way.  With both Stortini and MacIntyre playing, I'm hoping we get at least one scrap with Ivanans invovled.

Looking forward to seeing Calgary product Taylor Hall play his first game against the Flames, and seeing all three of the "super rookies" in action will be exciting.  The fact that both teams will closely resemble opening day lineups should give us at least some sort of indication as to where the teams are.  Obviously it still is the preseason, but I'm looking forward to this one.

NOTE: As per TSN's Bob MacKenzie, Flames defenceman Staffan Kronwall did clear waivers today.  I'd expect to see an announcement from the Flames soon that he's been assigned to Abbotsford.

1cd23297a0d13720ec2fc6d9740ce395
Pat Steinberg can be heard daily on the Fan960 in Calgary at can be read at the FAN 960. Born and raised in Calgary, Steinberg considers himself a huge fan of all sports including the CFL, MMA and 13 round bare knuckle boxing matches. Follow Steinberg on Twitter at www.twitter.com/Fan960Steinberg.
#1 Bob
October 01 2010, 02:50PM

Absent from the line-up: Conroy, Sarich & Gio! Healthy scratches or are they nursing minor injuries too?

#3 Bob
October 01 2010, 03:12PM

I have to disagree to a point. Neither Connie or Sarich are locks at this point. I know what your saying about the younger guys getting another, possbily last, look. They know what they're getting in Conroy and Sarich and need to see what the other guys can do with more playing time under their belts. But ask either guy if they're 100% confident they'll be playing with the team on Oct.7 and see what they say!

#4 Calgary 6 Edmonton 0
October 01 2010, 03:21PM

Those kids don't know what the "Battle od ALberta" is all about. They're gonna leave Rexall Center tonight with 3rd degree burns! Can't wait!

#7 Rob in Toronto
October 01 2010, 03:52PM

In a few short hours, we will all officially have a new set of Oilers to hate for the foreseeable future. I, for one, am excited.

#8 Bob
October 01 2010, 04:23PM

Make no mistake, I'm an advocate for Conroy sticking with the team. I wasn't thinking so much about Langkow's situation as much as when Stajan will be ready and IF they're keeping Backlund here. I know it's about 80% certain Craig will be here, either 4th line duty, defensive zone face-offs or the occassional healthy scratch.

Sarich's fate is intertwined with Staios, Pardy and Brodie. As it stands, we can not keep all our veteran d-men and forwards or we're over the cap. Lots of people have pegged Staios as the one going to Abbotsford. Who knows, but it could be Sarich. Also, Cory doesn't have a NTC in his contract which makes him easier to ship elsewhere if someone is willing to give up a prospect &/or a pick.

All that aside the next week should be pretty exciting.

October 01 2010, 04:27PM
Pat Steinberg wrote:

Neither Connie or Sarich are locks at this point.

I'd be willing to say Conroy is a lock, and I've been willing to say that since we found out Langkow wasn't ready to start camp. I know the whole angle has been Conroy fighting for a job, but to me he's on this team no question. No one else fills the role of a two way centre effectively.

Sarich on the other hand, to me it's pretty close that he starts this year on the team. Obviously Giordano is a lock.

As far as Sarich goes, I'd say that he's a lock for the team in terms of who the brass think is better of those on the bottom rungs. The only way he's not on is if he's moved or demoted for cap reasons.

#10 Wanye
October 01 2010, 05:39PM

Might I just say Steinberg that the Oilers shall trounce your pitiful ice hockey squad and we shall all laugh heartily up here in the process?

#11 dustin642
October 01 2010, 05:57PM

Should be a great game as both teams are icing near-complete rosters. I just hope that I will be able to find this game somewhere online because I live on Vancouver Island and only get the odd flames game on real TV out here. Both teams also dressing a fair share of knuckle-chuckers, this one could get messy. It will be interesting to see Staios play his first game against his former team. Wonder if he goes after any former teammate, or if they go after him? Either way, can't wait for puck drop