Calgary Signs Mark Giordano to a Contract Extension

October 29 2010 01:57PM

EDMONTON, CANADA - OCTOBER 16: Calgary Flames defenseman Mark Giordano  makes a pass against the Edmonton Oilers at the Scotiabank Saddledome on October 16, 2010 in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. The Flames beat the Oilers 5-3. (Photo by Dylan Lynch/Getty Images)

According to Globe Writer James Mirtle.

More details as they emerge.

EDIT - according to the announcement, the contract will extend till 2015-16.

UPDATE - Here's the official release (via our own Pat Steinberg):

For Immediate Release

Friday, October 29, 2010

Calgary, AB – The Calgary Flames announced today that defenseman Mark Giordano has been signed to a contract extension through the 2015-16 season.

Giordano, a native of Toronto, Ontario, is in his fourth season with the Calgary Flames who originally signed him as a free agent on July 6, 2004. In 205 career games, Giordano has 20 goals and 48 assists for 68 points and 193 penalty minutes. Mark hit career highs last season in games played (82), goals (11), assists (19) and points (30). In 10 games this season he has three assists and is third in the NHL in blocked shots with 2 6.

#1 sam67
October 29 2010, 02:07PM

Very Good news indeed. Hope they get Whitey locked up to.

#3 R O
October 29 2010, 02:09PM

More money in the defense??

#4 Flamin Cannot's
October 29 2010, 02:11PM

Any guesses as to how much? My guess is a total of 20 mill.

#5 Dano0049
October 29 2010, 02:14PM

My guess would be 3.25 or 3.5 million per for Gio. LOVE IT!! GO GIO!

Bye Bye White.

#6 mclea
October 29 2010, 02:15PM

Remember when Sutter let this guy go to Russia? That was awesome.

#7 icedawg_42
October 29 2010, 02:17PM

There is good news, and there is good news. This is GOOD NEWS! I think the terms of the contract will identify Gio as a "CORE" player for years to come. - does that slot him in at 3.5? - 4.5? I agree though, I think the writing is on the wall for White. Gio has flat out outplayed him so far this season -though im not overly "down" on White, I think Gio is just plain better.

#9 icedawg_42
October 29 2010, 02:31PM

All too well. Remember when he signed Eriksson instead?

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

#10 Flamin Cannot's
October 29 2010, 02:36PM

RT @Real_ESPNLeBrun I'm told Giordano's new extension is worth $4.02 M x 5 years

#11 icedawg_42
October 29 2010, 02:38PM
Flamin Cannot's wrote:

Wow - you were BANG ON! good call!

#12 RossCreekNation
October 29 2010, 02:45PM

Nice. Next up... trade for Brad Richards.

#13 Graham
October 29 2010, 02:47PM

Saw a quote that Pierre LeBrun is reporting $4.02 million per season ($20.1 million over 5 years)

#14 Flamin Cannot's
October 29 2010, 02:48PM

@RossCreekNation

yup watch Dutter trade Backlund and Brodie for Richards...

#15 Domebeers.com
October 29 2010, 02:49PM

Some dumb comments.

1: RO points a good one. More money on the defence? When it's clear that scrimping on the forwards isn't a great way to go...

2: How does this work with the Flames and the cap? That's a question I should probably answer myself, just by going to see what the future contracts will look like. I'm just curious as to the rules, like can we be over the cap for next year up until a point in time, ect.

Anyways, I'm happy. I'll be more happy when White gets traded and one of Sarich Staios (and Jblow but thats me) gets traded.

#16 icedawg_42
October 29 2010, 02:50PM
Flamin Cannot's wrote:

yup watch Dutter trade Backlund and Brodie for Richards...

You know what - Dutter might read this!!! DONT put these ideas out there!!!

#17 Flamin Cannot's
October 29 2010, 02:51PM

Also twitter is saying: RossCreekNation Tyler Shakur I have it on good authority he's done. RT @CruickshankCH: #Flames C Daymond Langkow (neck)... another "set-back," according to Jay Feaster.

#18 Austin
October 29 2010, 02:52PM

@RossCreekNation

Do you think that Sutter will be shopping White around on the trade market at the deadline?? White and Staios in a trade for a top 6 forward and a fill in guy?

#19 Flamin Cannot's
October 29 2010, 02:53PM
icedawg_42 wrote:

You know what - Dutter might read this!!! DONT put these ideas out there!!!

Ha you are right I should delete that comment!

#20 icedawg_42
October 29 2010, 02:54PM
Flamin Cannot's wrote:

NNOOOOOOOoooo

#21 Flamin Cannot's
October 29 2010, 02:55PM
Austin wrote:

Don't think Dutter will trade Whitey if the Flamers are in the playoff hunt.

#24 icedawg_42
October 29 2010, 02:58PM

I'm not thrilled with that salary number, frankly. And I really like Giordano. It's not terrible, but damn it's no discount either.

Definitely "Market Price" for a guy like Gio - but if some other moves are coming, that will make this look a lot better.

#25 Graham
October 29 2010, 03:10PM

$4.02 million per is probably in the ball park, you have to think that he would have commanded a premium as an UFA. I can't say we really got a home town discount, we merely avoided over paying on July 1st.

Certainly interesting from the cap point of view... White and Staois are in the last year of their contracts, so you drop them (White $3m, Staios $2.5 ish), add $3.0 per season for Gio, gives you a couple of million for Brodie and another warm body.... sounds like it might work.

Guess we still have some work to resolve this years cap...

#26 everton fc
October 29 2010, 03:26PM

I'd agree - White appears expendable. Does this make him trade bait?

(@RossCreekNation - Or Bouwmeester for Brad Richards?)

Gio is a core guy. This is a good signing.

Perhaps now work on Tanguay for 2 more years. Cheap as possible, since he wants to be here.

#27 walkinvisible
October 29 2010, 03:26PM

obviously, this girl's pretty stoked. 4.02 mil is EXACTLY regehr's cap hit which (in the sutter bible) means that gio slots in on the team hierarchy like this:

iggy jbouw kippy langks reggie / gio sarich stajan bourque kotalik joker white (who makes $5 less than joker, obviously).

i think the future of the team likes the addition of #5 right about in that order.

#28 walkinvisible
October 29 2010, 03:27PM

iggy

jbouw

kippy

langks

reggie / gio

sarich

stajan

bourque

kotalik

joker

white (who makes $5 less than joker, obviously).

#29 Redmile
October 29 2010, 03:41PM

Great job on extending GIO! Good move to lock this guy up for a half decade, the blue line will remain strong.

Curious whats going to happen to Iggy in 2 years when his contract is up. Or even Tanguay's next year. Even if #12's points stays on the low, there still so much this leader does for this team. Keep Iggy.

As for Karlson, poor performance yeah but it's just game #2 in the NHL. He'll turn out to be better then Curtis the Duck.

#30 everton fc
October 29 2010, 04:08PM

I think you can sign Iggy for half, so he can end his career here. He'd probably go for that. It all depends on his production, hey?

Tanguay needs to be the next signing. He's only 30. 2-3 years. He wants to be here.

#31 Brent G.
October 29 2010, 04:29PM
everton fc wrote:

I disagree that he needs to be the next one. Hes been good but hasn't really proved anything. That being said he should be high on the priority list if he will sign for a reasonable contract but I think Glencross should be the next guy.

I do think the $$$ will work for this because the Flames have some young guys who will replace those older players who are on the outs. Trade Sarich (3.6 mill), lets Staios go (2.7 mill), Langkow off the books (Im pretty sure hes done...) and they can be replaced by people like Backlund, Brodie, Negrin (???), Erixson (???), etc.

#32 everton fc
October 29 2010, 04:50PM

@Brent G.

On Tanguay - I know. He doesn't need to be the next signing. Just want him signed before he starts putting up serious numbers.

I agree on Glencross. When is Moss due? And do you keep White over one more year of Sarich Yes, I mean it)

#33 RossCreekNation
October 29 2010, 04:56PM

With Joe Nieuwendyk having worked with the Lefs prior to taking the Dallas job, I'd be curious to know his thoughts of (and interest in) the Toronto trio of Stajan/Hagman/White. Perhaps 2 of them (and maybe a B prospect like Nemisz?) could land you a Richards...?

#34 RossCreekNation
October 29 2010, 04:59PM
Austin wrote:

I wouldn't be shocked if one of White or Regeher were moved by Christmas. I almost expect both could be gone by July.

With Giordano getting EXACTLY the same $$ as Regehr, I wonder if its because Gio's sliding into Regehr's slot in the pecking order, thus making Reggie expendable... maybe along with a $3M F (Jokinen/Hagman/Kotalik) for a big $ forward...?

#35 Rain Dogs
October 29 2010, 05:00PM

I was thinking about this the other day and hoping that Sutter wouldn't overpay Gio like I think he has White.

Have I mentioned that I hate White recently? He better start earning that dough.

Anyway, at the time I thought...hmmm... 3.5 million for Gio, irrespective of what White makes, cause that's too much. 3.75 absolute max.

4.02, well, it's close so I cannot complain. But I feel like somehow with the signings, player are eeking out an extra 500k. Which is a league min player ... or Conroy.

I'd really prefer if it was:

Gio - 3.55 Stajan - 3.0 White - 2.5

but hell...maybe I'm cheap.

They better hurry up and re-sign Glen X for 2.0 before he goes and scores 20 goals.

Anyway, I'm not broken up about Gio at 4mill if they trade that stinking White to make room for Brodie.

#36 R O
October 29 2010, 05:07PM

Regehr is twice the dman Gio is.

"Off the rails" doesn't even do it justice anymore

October 29 2010, 05:31PM

@R O

Regehr may be better in terms of actual defensive coverage, but that's all he brings to the table (don't get me wrong, it's obviously a necessity to have). However, Gio is obviously significantly better in terms of providing offensive support. If we look at the contracts when they were signed, I'd say most people can agree that Regehr was discounted, while Gio is on the higher end. I don't think it's an overpay, though. I realize you were probably replying to the guys talking about trading Regehr, but I'm just saying.

If the Flames trade anyone I'd honestly prefer it be Bouwmeester for someone who could be considered a #2/3 dman but doesn't hamstring the Flames financially, plus whatever else. Somebody like Seidenberg or Michalek?

#38 RossCreekNation
October 29 2010, 06:37PM

Uh... I was afraid to ask, but twitter has confirmed - NMC for first 3 yrs, NTC for 4th year (via Elliotte Ness).

#39 everton fc
October 29 2010, 07:03PM

Regehr won't be moved. He'll play out his career here, I think. As it should be, in my opinion. He's been our most consistent defenceman most nights. So has Sarich, of late.

And Gio.

White now appears most expendable. Perhaps he doesn't make it to deadline-day? No way you pay him more than he is currently making. Not here, anyway The writing's on the wall, and he must know it.

No one will trade for Sarich at that salary, unless it was for a lower end draft pick. And Sarich is worth more than that, on the ice. (Surprised I wasn't pounced upon when I offered White to keep Sarich! Would anybody re-sign Sarich as a 6/7 man, if the price was right?)

@RossCreekNation - Bouwmeester straight up for Richards? :)

How is Seabrook doing on the farm? And Pelech??

Heard Iggy interviewed on the FAN driving home from work. He is an upfront guy. Takes any, and all questions. Ducks nothing.

Class act. Here's hoping he turns it around. I, for one, think he will.

Soon.

October 29 2010, 07:50PM
everton fc wrote:

And Gio.

@RossCreekNation - Bouwmeester straight up for Richards? :)

How is Seabrook doing on the farm? And Pelech??

Class act. Here's hoping he turns it around. I, for one, think he will.

Soon.

JBo+Kotalik for Richards+cheap D (no idea if any of Dallas' D is reasonable outside of Robidas)? I wouldn't mind that. Move Jokinen to the wing on the 4th line.

#41 Mac_121519
October 30 2010, 12:43AM

hey lets not rule out ian white so fast...at the end of the year staios' 2.7 million and tanguays 1.7 million are up... its early to say but if tanguay can play this way all year he should earn a significant raise, possibly one the flames cant afford...thats 4 million in cap space the flames could possibly have at the end of the year...i wouldnt like to see the flames put more money into the backend personally, but i just cant rule it out considering what they've done in the past

Go Flames Go Lets get back to the playoffs

#42 OilFan
October 30 2010, 12:47AM

Gio is a good dman at that price. JBO is a good dman I'm not sure why he hasn't found his game in Calgary. How many years is he signed for ? Also Iggy will find his touch again far to good of a hockey player to go to long with out a break out game. Sutter whouldn't trade Backlund he is a decent forward and young yet. By the way 7-4 OIL over hawks. hahahahahaha

#43 R O
October 30 2010, 09:18AM

Brad Richards? Yes.

If Brodie and Backlund are the deal-breakers for acquiring an elite 5v5 centre who also has a cannon and a brain at the PP point, then you're officially a prospect junkie.

October 30 2010, 02:26PM
R O wrote:

Brad Richards? Yes.

He's alright on the PP as well. ^_^

Seriously, though, I would imagine JBo's stock is high enough still that he could be traded for Richards with a small salary dump, without needing to sweeten the pot much/at all.