Game No. 11: Booooooooo

Ryan Lambert
October 30 2010 03:36PM

(Appropriately enough, the original size of this image was 666x700.)

Get ready for a SCARY amount of Halloween puns.

The Washington Capitals have rolled into town, and with them comes the very real threat that they're going to put up a TERRIFYING number of goals.

It's not so much the first and second periods that are particularly HORRIBLE for the Flames, but that last one has given them a HELL of a time recently. In the third periods of the last two games, Calgary has been outscored 5-1 and looked positively MONSTROUS in doing so against two teams that aren't exactly overflowing with offense.

The fact is, Calgary doesn't know how to BURY its competition, and against a team with firepower like Washington, that could be a KILLER. Especially in the last period, where it is tied for, well, third in the league with 12 goals in 10 games. It has that many in the first two periods combined. Meanwhile, Calgary has conceded more goals than that in its 10 third periods, with, appropriately for tonight, 13. That's tied for worst in the league with Atlanta and the Rangers, though New York has allowed that many in just nine contests.

Worse, Calgary's offense has been driven by its secondary scoring far more than its stars, who have been absolute GHOSTS for awhile, as Brent Sutter pointed out angrily the other night. Meanwhile, Robyn Regehr and Ian White were a combined minus-6 in these last two games.

And now we're counting on them to put up a fight against Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom, Laich, and so forth. That could be GHASTLY news if the current trends continue.

On the other hand, Brent Sutter's words likely did not fall on DEAD deaf ears. Calgary should be amped up and ready to go tonight. This is the end of the Caps' three-game road trip, and they've gone from Carolina to Minnesota to Calgary since Wednesday. They could be DEAD — there we go — tired, and that may work to the Flames' advantage.

Let's just hope tonight doesn't SUCK (your blood?).

686dfac3780611cb7acad6ce5166c6c1
#1 VK63
October 30 2010, 04:17PM

Im actually going to use my seats tonight. Couple of the kids I coach are big time OV8 fans. we met him earlier and the guys a brick sh*thouse, thick, thick, thick. In honor of an argument on an earlier thread I shall deem this the cherry picker cup. Ha!

#2 Robert Cleave
October 30 2010, 08:59PM

Corsi.

CGY +2, all from the third line.

EV shots 10-7 CGY.

#3 coptin_
October 30 2010, 09:09PM

everyone must be haloweenin

#4 R O
October 30 2010, 09:11PM

Dang they looked way better than that

#5 R O
October 30 2010, 09:16PM

Green is a bag

#6 coptin_
October 30 2010, 09:20PM

its over flames implode with a lead again!:(

#7 coptin_
October 30 2010, 09:28PM

nice hit 6

#8 coptin_
October 30 2010, 09:32PM

j bo blows! oops this whole teem blows ......bench em all.........

#9 coptin_
October 30 2010, 09:35PM

if i was iggy i would ask for a trade,this team will not seriously compete for the cup for years to come

#10 Subversive
October 30 2010, 09:40PM

That's a terrible nogoal call. Neuvirth tripped Iggy himself. Ridiculous, and now Washington scores again...

#11 coptin_
October 30 2010, 09:44PM

tottaly he tripped iggy with his stick.not that it matters now

#12 coptin_
October 30 2010, 09:46PM

all the money we have tied up in d men and they all suck

#13 Pat Steinberg
October 30 2010, 10:00PM

Bad call on the Tanguay goal, plus Tanguay was clipped with a high stick. But there's no excuse for completely quitting following that. And let's not forget...it was 5-2 at that point.

#14 R O
October 30 2010, 10:04PM

Yeah, but let's also not forget that Green's a world-class douche on the ice.

Glencross hook was legit but Green's reaction pretty much shows how far up his own rear end he has his head shoved.

I don't rate Backstrom but to his credit he's no beaker. Takes his lumps that one.

#15 Robert Cleave
October 30 2010, 10:06PM

Corsi.

CGY +6, +4 in the period. EV Shots 14-13 WSH, 7-3 in the period. I wish the game was that close. The Flames look like they packed it in mentally after the two Ovi goals.

#16 Subversive
October 30 2010, 10:08PM
Pat Steinberg wrote:

Completely true, and this is the type of game which reminds me why I thought the Flames would miss the playoffs this year. They gave me a little hope there for a few games (and probably will again at points in the season), but unless Iginla turns back the clock about 4 years and Jokinen remembers how to play hockey, it's going to be a long ugly season.

#17 R O
October 30 2010, 10:09PM

What's that banner on M&G? "Bananas come in bunches".

Well crap like this comes in bunches too.

#18 everton fc
October 30 2010, 10:19PM

No one posting tonight, hey?!

Can't blame you.

My honest opinion after watching this "Gate Night" implosion:

Fire Brent Sutter.

Not Darryl. Brent.

This is a decent roster. Not top-drawer, but decent enough to compete.

As in business (which hockey is) blame must start at the top. But this time, I exonerate Darryl. True, he's made some odd moves, but again, the roster is decent.

Our defence is not. Nor is the mood in the locker room, methinks...

Bouwmeester should go for a top-line forward. I'd dump White, too. White and Bouwmeester are not worth $9million.

Tnen again, could they perhaps play to their potential under a new head coach?

I cwouldn't be surprised to see this one end up 10-2, 10-3. A historic, watershed defeat. I get a sense Brent may have caved the confidence not just of Jarome, but of the entire locker room.

This is not leadership. And I have to wonder about our assistants...

I often wonder these days wonder where we'd be if we never pulled Playfair from behind the bench?

Off to absorb more frustration. Fortunately, the wife and kids are asleep, and I have an excellent Malbec, just opened!

This game could indeed be a watershed event for this franchise.

#19 R O
October 30 2010, 10:27PM

Chill evertonfc, that's a bit too much drama for 1 of 82 games.

Though any excuse to fire Brent Sutter is welcome, even if it's as crazy as "caved their confidence"... to quote Obi Wan, these aren't the droids you're looking for.

Though I'll agree with you that he's no player's coach. Still, the players have some fault here.

#20 everton fc
October 30 2010, 10:35PM

@RO

Quite "chilled". The Malbec's good, though romm temperature!

We've seen this last year. No change.

You can gut this team, I suppose. Or simply take this one on the chin.

Or make some more radical changes....

#21 R O
October 30 2010, 10:42PM

You can gut this team, I suppose. Or simply take this one on the chin.

No rebuils. This place can't take even one bad loss. Imagine seasons upon seasons.

The Flames' fanbase barely survived those dark late 90s. Shudder to think what could have been without the Cup run!

#22 R O
October 30 2010, 10:46PM

I love to toot my own horn so when I said that this team needed Iginla on the top of his game or Langkow back to win, well that's just playing itself out nicely isn't it?

#23 Robert Cleave
October 30 2010, 10:50PM

Corsi.

The Flames looked like they would have been quite content playing straight time in the third.

#24 John Deere Green
October 30 2010, 10:51PM

I realize I could take some heat here, but I'll say it anyways. Why not trade Jerome Iginla for some young talent? Obviously he's not playing up to his $7 million contract. If you wait to trade him much longer, his value is only getting worse. Now, it could take some searching to find a team to take his contract, but why not. Big deal, he's the face of the franchise; great in the community ect., but what happens when this team is playing like crap 2 years from now and he's got 5 points in game #15? You'll get nothing for him and wish you traded him back in 2010.

#25 coptin_
October 30 2010, 10:52PM

PETER FN PUCK WHAT IS THIS 1976,MAYBE DUTTER CAN SIGN HIM TO PLAY D AFTERALL WE NEED MORE D.WHY WOULD YOU NEED TO WASTE MONEY ON OFFENSIVE PLAERS.DUTTER IS SUCH A DAMN DINOSAUR

#26 R O
October 30 2010, 10:54PM

Yeah. This place can't take one bad loss. I wouldn't stick around for a rebuild

#27 coptin_
October 30 2010, 10:56PM

HEY IS STIENBERG ON THE RADIO 2NITE,IFEEL SORRY FOR HIM WITH ALL THE DRUNKS CALLING IN.MIGHT BE FUN TO LISTEN TO

#28 John Deere Green
October 30 2010, 10:57PM

One point I wanted to make and forgot, it is not the coaching that is the problem. They have had how many different coaches in the last 5-6 years? 4? 5? It is the so called "core" that needs to be fired, not the coach. Just my opinion, might not be correct but boy is this team getting frustrating to watch. I hate being hungover after every game from all the rye I have to drink to make these games enjoyable!

#29 VK63
October 30 2010, 10:58PM

Bailed early.. some great costumes and fine damsels at the barn. Bad calls for sure but a really fragile response.

What brand of Malbec?

#30 icedawg_42
October 30 2010, 11:01PM

Flames dressing room - second intermission http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QILn1G8zaqc&feature=related

#31 everton fc
October 30 2010, 11:10PM

@RO

We don't need a rebuild of the roster.

Perhaps behind the bench....

@John Deere Greene

I wish they would have given Playfoar one more year.

@roughneck

Catena Malbec. Check it out.

#32 R O
October 30 2010, 11:25PM

Playfair was an awesome coach. He was apparently in charge of systems, and while there's no real innovation in that area... he worked within himself, didn't think he was smarter than he was, and let the players make a ton of decisions out there.

#33 everton fc
October 30 2010, 11:34PM

@RO

I miss Playfair. Class guy.

And after a second (and final) glass of Malbec... I now realize it could be worse...

We could be Devils fans!

Over and out, one and all.

October 31 2010, 12:51AM
everton fc wrote:

No one posting tonight, hey?!

Can't blame you.

My honest opinion after watching this "Gate Night" implosion:

Fire Brent Sutter.

Not Darryl. Brent.

This is a decent roster. Not top-drawer, but decent enough to compete.

Our defence is not. Nor is the mood in the locker room, methinks...

Tnen again, could they perhaps play to their potential under a new head coach?

This is not leadership. And I have to wonder about our assistants...

This game could indeed be a watershed event for this franchise.

I just needed to point out that White+JBo is much closer to 10 million. For some reason people never seem to see the .8 part of JBo's cap hit. Terrible, terrible value.

#35 eastsidesteve
October 31 2010, 07:25AM

At the cost of the tickets + parking + concession stands, last night was the last time I go to the 'dome until they start putting a team on the ice. Getting rid of the Sutters would be a good start.

#36 OilFan
October 31 2010, 09:12AM

Great game. Not the result I wanted sorry guys I was hoping for 10 lol . Kipper has let in 17 goals in the last 3 games squeeeeeeee

#37 dotfras
October 31 2010, 08:36PM

@OilFan

Kipper didn't play in Colorado.