FGD: Let's F'ing Go

Pat Steinberg
October 07 2010 01:40PM

DALLAS - NOVEMBER 04:  Center Craig Conroy #24 of the Calgary Flames at American Airlines Center on November 4, 2009 in Dallas, Texas.  (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)

 

Let's get this thing going.  The Calgary Flames open the regular season TONIGHT in Edmonton for the first of six games between the provincial rivals.  The coronation has already begun up north, but cautious optimism seems to be the prevailing thought in Southern Alberta.

GDB in Edmonton? Game Day Bitches? Well...we'll go with FGD down here.  Fu...something Game Day.  Or if you will, Flames Game Day if you're all for the politically correct.  I'm not one for giving credit, but OilersNation does it right, so we'll gladly take a similar model.

Not in the lineup tonight? Cory Sarich, Steve Staios and Craig Conroy.  Yep...Conroy will sit this one out as the Flames have recalled Brett Sutter from the American Hockey League, and so 42 draws into the lineup over 24.  Here are lines and pairings:

Alex Tanguay-Olli Jokinen-Jarome Iginla
Niklas Hagman-Brendan Morrison-Rene Bourque
Curtis Glencross-Mikael Backlund-Tim Jackman
Raits Ivanans-Stefan Meyer-Brett Sutter

Jay Bouwmeester-Mark Giordano
Robyn Regehr-Ian White
T.J. Brodie-Adam Pardy

What to expect tonight? Well...the Oilers at home...all the excitement.  I'm a little worried.  I think it's silly that Conroy isn't playing tonight, especially with Ivanans in.  I get that Meyer and Sutter are young faces, but I'm firmly of the opinion Conroy is more valuable at this point.  But with the Flames wanting to go with all kinds of speed and up tempo, I guess this is the direction they're going.

The Calgary Herald also reports the Flames have placed Ales Kotalik on LTIR...so he's gone at least 10 games.  Yesterday, Stajan, Moss and Stone were put on regular, so they'll miss a week of action.

Lets get it on.

1cd23297a0d13720ec2fc6d9740ce395
Pat Steinberg can be heard daily on the Fan960 in Calgary at can be read at the FAN 960. Born and raised in Calgary, Steinberg considers himself a huge fan of all sports including the CFL, MMA and 13 round bare knuckle boxing matches. Follow Steinberg on Twitter at www.twitter.com/Fan960Steinberg.
Avatar
#1 Kent Wilson
October 07 2010, 01:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

So we go from having one center who has excelled defensively against top line NHLers in the past to...zero. All so two rookies and a couple of goons can play.

I don't get it. It probably won't hurt against the Oilers, but I still don't get it.

And how about having some 6.3M in cap space sitting in the press box?

Ahhh Flames. It's never boring.

Avatar
#2 Rain Dogs
October 07 2010, 01:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Yikes. I have a feeling the bodies are going to be flying tonight. (The only reason why Conroy isn't playing perhaps?) Tons 'o speed, tons 'o hits, it's gonna be a good one, but probably pretty chaotic.

5-2 Flames. Let's get it going!

Avatar
#3 Kent Wilson
October 07 2010, 01:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Rain Dogs wrote:

Yikes. I have a feeling the bodies are going to be flying tonight. (The only reason why Conroy isn't playing perhaps?) Tons 'o speed, tons 'o hits, it's gonna be a good one, but probably pretty chaotic.

5-2 Flames. Let's get it going!

Apparently the Oilers aren't even dressing MacIntyre. So I guess Jackman and Ivanans will both get chances to beat up Stortini.

Avatar
#4 walkinvisible
October 07 2010, 02:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

this lineup is a head-scratcher. i mean, it's the provincial (and historical) rival so if ivanans wasn't playing it would thoroughly defeat the purpose of signing him ---so i guess i understand that.

barring injury (or tabled trades), however, i don't understand how pardy gets the nod over sarich, or how conroy doesn't dress in lieu of pretty much anyone in the bottom four.

Avatar
#5 Kent Wilson
October 07 2010, 02:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
walkinvisible wrote:

this lineup is a head-scratcher. i mean, it's the provincial (and historical) rival so if ivanans wasn't playing it would thoroughly defeat the purpose of signing him ---so i guess i understand that.

barring injury (or tabled trades), however, i don't understand how pardy gets the nod over sarich, or how conroy doesn't dress in lieu of pretty much anyone in the bottom four.

There's a rumor that Sarich is hurt (sore ankle). That said, it's almost funny to see us wrestle with the Staios thing all summer...only to see him as the inevitable healthy scratch come October. $2.7M...spent.

Avatar
#6 propositionWes
October 07 2010, 02:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

I think Pardy has played pretty well during the pre-season. Perhaps someone with the last name Sutter reminded Adam Pardy that he's Adam Pardy. If he doesn't use his size to exact some punishment from the 3/4 line guys he plays against he's just a slowish shutdown guy with very limited upside. If he's banging the boards like he ought to he's a valuable peace to have at a decent price.

Re: Ivanans. If Owen Nolan is still out there and we signed this guy to a 2 year deal...yikes. If it's goons you want at least sign McGraton, he was pretty well unbeaten last year.

Avatar
#7 Oilers Dave
October 07 2010, 02:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Is this even a real website?

Avatar
#8 Kent Wilson
October 07 2010, 02:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Oilers Dave wrote:

Is this even a real website?

Is "Oilers Dave" your real name?

Avatar
#9 Kent Wilson
October 07 2010, 02:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Now both Cruickshank and Gregor are saying that Sarich is indeed a healthy scratch.

Avatar
#10 Wanye
October 07 2010, 03:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Kent Wilson wrote:

Is "Oilers Dave" your real name?

You Flames fans had best beware this evening. Us Oilers fans are jacked up on hope and Red Bull like only the fans of the 30th place team can be on opening night.

Logic be damned - Oilers 235 Flames 0.

Good luck to you all.

Avatar
#11 Kent Wilson
October 07 2010, 03:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Wanye wrote:

You Flames fans had best beware this evening. Us Oilers fans are jacked up on hope and Red Bull like only the fans of the 30th place team can be on opening night.

Logic be damned - Oilers 235 Flames 0.

Good luck to you all.

I'm sure it will be...interesting.

Avatar
#12 jr_christ
October 07 2010, 03:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Quit your bitching... you have never experienced injuries before.

All I can see if the Oilers win:

"well we had lots of injuries". Did we let them use that excuse last year? Absolutely not. So quit complaining about it. If the Flames lose at least be a City with dignity and just know Edmonton played well...

Avatar
#13 jr_christ
October 07 2010, 03:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

I heard conroy was subject to trade speculation this week and that is why Morrison was brought in.

Avatar
#14 jr_christ
October 07 2010, 03:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

One last question.

IF Clagary misses the play offs again do you think people will forget they have a team here? I mean... last time after 4 seasons of no play offs no one went to the games.

I guess Saskatchewan and Halifax people just aren't true hockey fans.

Avatar
#15 Canucks Suck
October 07 2010, 03:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
jr_christ wrote:

Quit your bitching... you have never experienced injuries before.

All I can see if the Oilers win:

"well we had lots of injuries". Did we let them use that excuse last year? Absolutely not. So quit complaining about it. If the Flames lose at least be a City with dignity and just know Edmonton played well...

You shouldn't be associating with morons then.

Avatar
#16 JF
October 07 2010, 03:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Kent Wilson wrote:

Now both Cruickshank and Gregor are saying that Sarich is indeed a healthy scratch.

La Sigh... Is there a trade coming because I see no earthly reason why Sarich isn't playing. He's (IMO) a better d-man then Pardy with mostly the same skillset. There is no reason that Sarich should be a healthy scratch.

And absent an opposing Goon zero reason to play Ivanens.

Damnit Butter!

Avatar
#17 everton fc
October 07 2010, 04:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

"Is there a trade coming because I see no earthly reason why Sarich isn't playing."

My thoughts exactly. As for Conny, perhaps he'll play in games where the Latvian isn't needed. And that's not a bad line, Conroy/Meyer/Sutter.

I think Jackman could handle Stortini...

Avatar
#18 everton fc
October 07 2010, 04:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

"If it's goons you want at least sign McGraton, he was pretty well unbeaten last year"

I disagree. He was beaten quite a few times. Didn't look the same, though still game. D.J. King would have been the ideal "goon", as he can actually shoot, skate...

Avatar
#19 jr_christ
October 07 2010, 04:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@Canucks Suck

Love your name. You from Halifax or Saskatchewan?

Why is it that Flames fans are the only fans in the league who don't chant "go flames go"? They only seem to chant things like "other team sucks". Must be the class of all the retarded newfoundlanders...

Avatar
#20 Casey
October 07 2010, 04:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

We won't be bemoaning Staios as soon as the first top 6 D goes down with a long term injury?

Having said that, either Sarich is hurt or there is a trade in the works. Would have to be a good option though in order for him to waive his recently discovered NMC.

Avatar
#21 JohnnyHemsky
October 07 2010, 04:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Sk and halifax people are real hockey fans! OILER fans! I am hoping for a good game tonight, may the best team win. (Oil)

Avatar
#22 Canucks Suck
October 07 2010, 05:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
jr_christ wrote:

Love your name. You from Halifax or Saskatchewan?

Why is it that Flames fans are the only fans in the league who don't chant "go flames go"? They only seem to chant things like "other team sucks". Must be the class of all the retarded newfoundlanders...

The morons I was talking about are really getting to you. I think you might be one yourself. The bio in my profile says go flames go? I have every reason to hate on the canucks in their era of penalty embellishment, shining lasers in goalies faces, morons who won't shut up about how much better the sedin sisters are than jarome iginla or how luongo is the best goalie ever. I guess this is all easy to ignore when you have a a franchise player like the hair pulling fights like a girl alexandre burrows. It is really pathetic that you had to bring my username into this though as I think I have every right to hate what the vancouver canucks have become. Your rebuttal was typical of course from any ignorant fool. I'm not here to argue with you, just go watch kesler cry, burrows dive, and luongo let in some softies. This is a flames discussion board if you want to make stupid untrue comments about flames fans take it to somewhere where that crap is welcome.

Avatar
#23 jr_christ
October 07 2010, 05:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Haha... How old are you? You put a street fighter pic for your avatar?

Well I assume you are 10 since only children like video games like street fighter.

Good luck in life, buddy! Go back to Halifax

Avatar
#24 jr_christ
October 07 2010, 05:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Dude, I'm sorry. I apologize to everyone for my rude comments on here.

I was a complete jerk! Truth is I am an oilers fan and I don't have any right coming on here and be-littling Flames fans.

If I upset anyone I apologize.

Avatar
#25 Danno
October 07 2010, 06:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

FGD is G-A-Y

Real original homo's

Avatar
#26 Stone Hands
October 07 2010, 07:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Funny how this pathetic site has the Oilers voted to win. Flames are irrelevant in the NHL anymore. Edmonton Oilers 2007 Deja Vu!

Avatar
#27 Wanye
October 07 2010, 07:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Sweet Jesus are the Oilers fans on here rude.

I am ashamed.

Avatar
#29 Wanyes bastard child
October 07 2010, 09:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

To be honest that first period went exactly as I thought it would... only for the opposite teams :)

GO OILERS!!!

Avatar
#30 ThaLegion
October 07 2010, 09:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
jr_christ wrote:

Haha... How old are you? You put a street fighter pic for your avatar?

Well I assume you are 10 since only children like video games like street fighter.

Good luck in life, buddy! Go back to Halifax

Really? possibly the silliest comment I've read in at least 20 minutes. Show a little class and common sense if your going to troll another teams website.

Avatar
#31 Tha Legion
October 07 2010, 09:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@wanye Well show them were not all mooks, it's not like this is canucksarmy

Avatar
#32 Ed From Edmonton
October 07 2010, 09:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Good job flamers

Avatar
#33 bk
October 08 2010, 06:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

WOW - that was a shooling that the bettle of Alberta has not seen in a DECADE!

Even when the Fames beat up the Oil during that time, which was often, and fet like EVERYTIME, we WERE bad! Against all 29 teams!

I know these nights might be rare for Oilers fans, as they are young and will get schooled more oft than not - BUT TO RULE THE FLAMES LIKE THAT makes eating your crap lately almost worth it! After years of overhyped dissapointments - BATTLE AB - IS ON! And we just took round 1 - be atches!

PROUD Oilersnation.com member

Avatar
#34 bk
October 08 2010, 06:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

WOW - that was a shooling that the bettle of Alberta has not seen in a DECADE!

Even when the Fames beat up the Oil during that time, which was often, and fet like EVERYTIME, we WERE bad! Against all 29 teams!

I know these nights might be rare for Oilers fans, as they are young and will get schooled more oft than not - BUT TO RULE THE FLAMES LIKE THAT makes eating your crap lately almost worth it! After years of overhyped dissapointments - BATTLE AB - IS ON! And we just took round 1 - be atches!

PROUD Oilersnation.com member

Avatar
#35 bk
October 08 2010, 06:38AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

WOW - that was a shooling that the bettle of Alberta has not seen in a DECADE!

Even when the Fames beat up the Oil during that time, which was often, and fet like EVERYTIME, we WERE bad! Against all 29 teams!

I know these nights might be rare for Oilers fans, as they are young and will get schooled more oft than not - BUT TO RULE THE FLAMES LIKE THAT makes eating your crap lately almost worth it! After years of overhyped dissapointments - BATTLE AB - IS ON! And we just took round 1 - be atches!

PROUD Oilersnation.com member

Avatar
#36 bk
October 08 2010, 06:38AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

WOW - that was a shooling that the bettle of Alberta has not seen in a DECADE!

Even when the Fames beat up the Oil during that time, which was often, and fet like EVERYTIME, we WERE bad! Against all 29 teams!

I know these nights might be rare for Oilers fans, as they are young and will get schooled more oft than not - BUT TO RULE THE FLAMES LIKE THAT makes eating your crap lately almost worth it! After years of overhyped dissapointments - BATTLE AB - IS ON! And we just took round 1 - be atches!

PROUD Oilersnation.com member

Avatar
#37 bk
October 08 2010, 06:46AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Lmao at my own typos and errors! Drunk on promise and Oilers PR I guess!

Oh yeah, THIS is what it feels like to get a meaningful win! Who can blame me for typing like a giddy school kid on the first day of school!

Avatar
#38 bk
October 08 2010, 06:46AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Lmao at my own typos and errors! Drunk on promise and Oilers PR I guess!

Oh yeah, THIS is what it feels like to get a meaningful win! Who can blame me for typing like a giddy school kid on the first day of school!

Avatar
#39 bk
October 08 2010, 06:47AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Lmao at my own typos and errors! Drunk on promise and Oilers PR I guess!

Oh yeah, THIS is what it feels like to get a meaningful win! Who can blame me for typing like a giddy school kid on the first day of school!

Avatar
#40 bk
October 08 2010, 06:48AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Lmao at my own typos and errors! Drunk on promise and Oilers PR I guess!

Oh yeah, THIS is what it feels like to get a meaningful win! Who can blame me for typing like a giddy school kid on the first day of school!

Avatar
#41 bk
October 08 2010, 06:48AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Lmao at my own typos and errors! Drunk on promise and Oilers PR I guess!

Oh yeah, THIS is what it feels like to get a meaningful win! Who can blame me for typing like a giddy school kid on the first day of school!

Comments are closed for this article.