Game No. 1: Hello

Ryan Lambert
October 07 2010 04:25PM

Oh would you look at that, it's a regular season hockey game. I haven't seen one of those in a while.

All hockey teams start their seasons with the stated goal of winning the Stanley Cup, and that's as noble a design as any. But realistically, most teams don't have a chance of lifting the hallowed trophy over their heads. As few as four teams can, in any given year, really be considered Cup contenders, especially on opening night.

The Calgary Flames are not one of them.

Being completely realistic, tonight begins an 82-game, seven-month trek toward what is hopefully a respectable performance. Making the playoffs is a considerably more achievable goal than winning 16 postseason games of a possible 28 come springtime. (Although, if Calgary wins that frequently in the regular season, that's only a 94-point season, which, while better than they did last year, still wouldn't get them into the playoffs most seasons.)

But at least the season is rather likely to start off with a W. Let's be honest: this Oilers team is probably almost as bad as it was last year. While the offense is likely to improve, the defending, and particularly that provided by the forwards, is going to be subpar to put it lightly.

Three rookies up front. Two of which are on one line. Think it'll be easy for more veteran clubs to push these lines around, especially early in the season? You bet. And if there's one thing the Flames have going for them in that regard, it's a group of guys who serve little more purpose than shuffling the puck around and burying it along the boards.

Nikolai Khabibulin goes against the Flames tonight as well, and nothing says "inspiring confidence" like a goaltender whose spine looks like one of those broken slinkys and who hasn't played since November 2009 and who is 37.

And the defense in front of him? Yikes. It's anchored — ANCHORED — by Tom Gilbert and Ryan Whitney. And Theo frigging Peckham is on it.

Slam dunk easy W for the Flames tonight, right? I'm allowed to call at least one, aren't I?

686dfac3780611cb7acad6ce5166c6c1
#101 dustin642
October 07 2010, 10:21PM

Bouwmeester is only -1?! I find that shocking

October 07 2010, 10:21PM
GermanFlame wrote:

And to top it off an injury in Gio?

Good god I hope not.

#103 GermanFlame
October 07 2010, 10:23PM

Nevermind, Seems like it was ruled out to skate problem, Phew. Anyone else excited for some overtime tonight? I for one am!

October 07 2010, 10:25PM
GermanFlame wrote:

Im sure Steinberg is...if excited means dreading.

#105 dustin642
October 07 2010, 10:26PM

Well, maybe if we tank the first month, we can lose D Sutter? Either that or he will stay and trade Gio+Backlund+1st rounder to like NYI for Trent Hunter and Dough Weight.

#106 Brent G.
October 07 2010, 10:30PM

Im sure Steinberg is...if excited means dreading.

Man the Flames looked like crap all night. I honestly cannot think of one really outstanding scoring chance by them. They really deserve this.

In all honesty we shouldn't go jumping off the bridge anyways. Even before the injuries was any of us really expecting anything too exceptional from this team this year? I would like a goal at least but if nothing else if they keep playing like this they still have their 1st rounder and it could be a very high one.

I am pretty sure we are about to head into some rebuilding years pretty quick here... I cant figure out what you do with Iginla if that happens. No point keeping him to get old with a young crop, but can you really trade the face of the franchise like that? Prolly looking way too ahead here. Just one game right?

October 07 2010, 10:30PM

Don't worry guys, it's all part of the plan. They're making this season the opposite of last so once they've shat out a few losses in the first month the Flames will begin a huge winning streak

#108 tc
October 07 2010, 10:31PM

TWO WORDS........ OLD&SLOW.............TRADE J TRADE J TRADE J TRADE J TRADE J TRADE J TRADE J

#109 GermanFlame
October 07 2010, 10:33PM

Im sure Steinberg is...if excited means dreading.

Yeah at this point I dont blame the guy one bit, I dont think I would be wanting to do that tonight.(Especially if the flames cant even muster one goal tonight...

October 07 2010, 10:35PM

Oilers continue to generate quality chances. Flames can't seem to get the puck in the paint.

#111 Robert Cleave
October 07 2010, 10:37PM

Do they have a dozen chances yet? They're pushing 40 shots.

#112 Brent G.
October 07 2010, 10:37PM

Is anyone else wondering the value of Buow? I know it has crossed my mind a couple of times tonight...

#113 Rain Dogs
October 07 2010, 10:38PM

I cannot think of a single player who has played well tonight. Perhaps Sutter? Regehr has been alright. But all of Pardy, Gio, White, JBo look terrible. Actually, he hasn't been great but Brodie looks pretty good if you consider how crappy the rest of the d has been.

Forwards....blech.

81 more games to get it figured out.

#114 dustin642
October 07 2010, 10:39PM

Interesting strategy on the Flames PP. Seems like it would be hard to score from your own zone.

October 07 2010, 10:39PM
Robert Cleave wrote:

Do they have a dozen chances yet? They're pushing 40 shots.

Spot on a dozen actually.

#116 SB
October 07 2010, 10:39PM

This looks hauntingly familiar. I honestly don't know if I can handle another season like the last one.

#117 Rain Dogs
October 07 2010, 10:40PM

and...don't even get me started on how many turnovers we have had. Just an un-inspired effort.

#118 SlapStick
October 07 2010, 10:40PM

Iggy picking cherries already??? seriously? Tonight he looks like Penner did in his first year as an oiler... 20 lbs overweight.

#119 dustin642
October 07 2010, 10:41PM

Ivanans is in night night land... We lose everything tonight

#120 Brent G.
October 07 2010, 10:41PM

BEST NEWS IVE HEARD ALL NIGHT! Ivanans is likely out for a while.

#121 Robert Cleave
October 07 2010, 10:42PM

I wish no ill will towards Ivanans as a person, so I hope he's ok. I don't want him playing, but not this way.

October 07 2010, 10:42PM

Well good thing we signed Ivanans this year.

That fight was an apt metaphor for the entire game.

#123 CP is GARBAGE
October 07 2010, 10:43PM

icing on the cake

October 07 2010, 10:43PM
Robert Cleave wrote:

Yeah. I hope the dude is alright.

#125 GermanFlame
October 07 2010, 10:44PM

Yeah, So what's the streak at for injury every game, every pre-season game and this one making it 8? Get Conroy in there and Flames got 81 games to figure it out.

#126 dotfras
October 07 2010, 10:45PM

Ivanans fail.

#127 Rain Dogs
October 07 2010, 10:48PM

Well, and ... moving on.

October 07 2010, 10:48PM

Chances were 6-4 in favor of the Oil in the third. They win the count handily despite the shot clock.

That loud, leaden "thunk" you hear is the Flames start to 2010-2011.

#129 dustin642
October 07 2010, 10:49PM

@Kent Wilson

So.... Conroy and Sarich dress next game? Me thinks so. Flames likely to get a bag-skate practice in their second practice of the season. Also only took one game for the Flames to get shut out. So, technically, we are already the worst offensive team in the league.

#130 SlapStick
October 07 2010, 10:49PM

@dotfras

flames fail

#131 Robert Cleave
October 07 2010, 10:51PM

That was putrid. Careless as hell by virtually every forward, really. I can't imagine that standing around at the far blueline and leaving the middle of the ice open for the Oilers to generate speed in transition is part of the plan.

#132 Nolan Moore
October 07 2010, 10:54PM
dustin642 wrote:

Ivanans is in night night land... We lose everything tonight

WOW that was a knockout.

#133 CA Flames Fan
October 07 2010, 10:55PM
Robert Cleave wrote:

With tonights effort....putrid may be a word this site may see alot over the next few months....

#134 CP is GARBAGE
October 07 2010, 10:55PM

I thought Ian White had a very forgetable night

October 07 2010, 10:55PM

Well, good for Eberle, at least. It'll be interesting to see how the Oilers do against teams that are actually good, though.

#136 JF
October 07 2010, 11:07PM

Disgust. That's all I feel for tonights performance. Old, slow, absent minded, lazy, weak... I don't know which of these best describes the Flames performance because they're all apt.

Jokinen - Iginla didn't look any better with Tanguay then they did with anyone last year, Bouwmeester looked like a damn near 7 million dollar disaster, Pardy looked like the same disaster just with a lower price tag, turtles move faster then Jackman & Ivanans, I am unimpressed with Morrison... I didn't see him do anything out there that Backlund couldn't. At least the younger crowd on the team didn't phone it in.

I put this loss on the head of Butter. He fielded an inferior line-up (Pardy over Sarich? Ivanans over Conroy... really?) and abandoned some things that looked promising in preseason for the things that didn't work last year.

#138 BAHAHAHA
October 08 2010, 09:57AM

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! EASY W indeed!!!