GDFD No. 56: A whole new era of mediocrity

Ryan Lambert
February 01 2010 04:31PM

Welcome to the Game Day Fire Drill, for this, Calgary’s 56th game of the season on Feb. 1, 2010.

This is going to be an odd game to watch.

No Dion , for one thing. And that's going to take some getting used to. (Speaking of Dion, apparently he walked right into the Leafs' dressing room at practice today and changed the music to what he wanted to hear and Ron Wilson said he liked the "swagger," but I just thought he came off as a bit of a dick. If some new guy at your job did that, you'd throw a stapler at him.)

Then there's all the new guys. Stajan. Hagman. Mayers (unfortunately). White. Don't know which one I'm most excited for. Probably White, who I guess doesn't quite enjoy being viewed as a "replacement" for the former Calder-and-Norris-finalist Phaneuf. Free tip: Don't wanna be viewed as the replacement for the guy you just replaced? Don't take his number. Just sayin'.

But that's not to say I'm not excited about Hagman. He could be like Huselius 2.0, something the Flames need. A guy that averaged a little over 70 points a season while not being completely appalling defensively, I'm fine with that. Hell, even if he's appalling defensively, I'm fine with that as well. He can punch babies between periods if he scores at a roughly 30-goal-and-70-point pace like Huselius did in his two-plus years in Calgary.

Not to be forgotten: probably the last game for Olli Jokinen in a Flames sweater. Not that he'll be especially missed, but momentous nonetheless as it marks what is hopefully the end of a frankly bizarre and undesirable era for the Flames. Books are going to be written about the last 11 or so months. Well, probably not. But they could be. "The Year Darryl Sutter Lost His Bloody Mind," is a title I quite like for any speculative tomes on the subject.

And perhaps most important of all, this is a Flames team that didn't lose its last game. That, too, is going to take some getting used to.

Who

The Calgary Flames (27-20-8 for 62 points. Tied for eighth in the West, third in the Northwest) and the Philadelphia Flyers (27-23-3 for 57 points. Tied for sixth in the East, third in the Atlantic).

When

7:30 p.m. Mountain time and 9:30 p.m. Eastern time. All other time zones should .

Where

Pengrowth Saddledome, Calgary, Alberta.

Calgary is 13-12-3 at home this year, but is 3-1-0 against Eastern Conference opponents there. The Flyers are 11-12-1 at home, and are 1-3-1 in their past five games away from the City of Brotherly Love.

What (to hate about the Flyers)

Chris Pronger — One of the real dirtbags of the NHL right here. Remember that elbow on Deano McAmmond in the Stanley Cup Finals a few years ago? I'm still mad. Remember though, we can't be too mad at him; he did ruin the Oilers forever, after all.

Scott Hartnell — Yeah he plays big and with an edge and crosses the line a lot. Finger-biting and all that, as you'll recall. But he also once signed a Penguin fans' jersey that said "Fartsmell" instead of "Hartnell" as "Your buddy, Scott Fartsmell," which is just about the coolest thing a professional athlete has ever done for a fan that very clearly dislikes him.

Dan Carcillo — Well, normally I would say this, but he was a nice guy when I met him at the Winter Classic and his mustache is awesome so me and Danny Carcillo are coo de la.

(Apparently the Flyers are a team we should love to hate!)

Why

Because you wanna welcome the new guys. Enjoy the game and say goodbye to Pumpkinhead in the comments section.

686dfac3780611cb7acad6ce5166c6c1
#1 RossCreekNation
February 01 2010, 05:19PM

Scott Fartsmell, LOL

#2 RossCreekNation
February 01 2010, 05:23PM

I expect detailed action in the comments tonight. Got tix for the Canes-Oil game tonight in my mini-pack... and I get to go with my Canes fan buddy. I also get to watch "Flames in an hour" or whatever when I get home.

*Comments! Comments! Comments! Comments!*

#3 roughneck
February 01 2010, 05:23PM

Bye Pumpkinfhead!

Hey the book title might change if you get Kotalik, hes so freaking slow and lazy Dustin Penner passed him on a back check.... true story! And whats up with the limited movement clause... he got wild seed sown in and around these parts?

#4 roughneck
February 01 2010, 05:26PM

Hey RossCreek..... not sure where your seats are but I have a few extras in the executive terrace for the Oil game tonight. If they are an upgrade, shoot me an email and Ill give you the deets.

Free!!!!! Or empty.... however one perceives these things. ;-)

#5 Zoom15
February 01 2010, 05:46PM
roughneck wrote:

Free!!!!! Or empty.... however one perceives these things. ;-)

Giving away Oilers tickets on a Flames site. LOL what is this place?

#6 Arik
February 01 2010, 06:21PM

Funny, I met Pronger at the Winter Classic practice day. He was as nice as could be, even obliged my monumentally retarded photo request.

#7 Zoom15
February 01 2010, 09:52PM
Arik wrote:

I have actually met him too. Nice guy. Leaving Edmonton in a huff actually moved him up a peg in my books LOL.

#8 Roughneck
February 01 2010, 10:15PM

@Zoom15

bah.. wanye owns this place.. there are no rules, lines get blurred that kinda stuff

#9 Zoom15
February 01 2010, 10:35PM
Roughneck wrote:

I see and what is a Wayne? The dude who wrote this thing?

#10 b1ackhat
February 01 2010, 10:52PM

10 COMMENTS ON A GAME DAY POST??

Ask and ye shall receive i guess RC

#11 Wanyes bastard child
February 02 2010, 06:27PM

I like how it shows the Flames losing 3-0 to the Oilers and not the Flyers in the game's section :P