Cautious Optimism

Pat Steinberg
February 04 2010 08:36AM

Calgary was a little better on Wednesday night taking a 4-1 win over the Carolina Hurricanes.  In fact, Calgary was MUCH better in a lot of ways. But... maybe the whole "wait and see" mantra is still a good one to have. Yes, Calgary played great, but I'm cautious for two separate reasons.

The first: well, it was the Hurricanes. They are a mediocre team. BUT, they're playing all right hockey right now, and weren't terrible in this game, so I don't really buy into this one much. The second, and more important, reason would be this: Calgary has struggled with consistency ALL season. I'm not willing to say the good things that transpired in this game erases the issues that have plagued Calgary in the past two months. Two games with a whole bunch of new players (and just two with Higgins and Kotalik) isn't enough for me, both good and bad.

I'll say this much though. On Overtime tonight on the FAN, it took a positive vibe for the first time in a loooooong time. It was weird, but good; the whole negative thing gets old. I'd say fans were kind of split 50/50 on the email and phone front. In one vein, there was a lot of excitement and belief that this might be the straw that breaks the camel's back in a good way for Calgary. The other side was on the wait and see train.

"It was good, but..." And I guess I can understand both points of views.

As for the vibe in the locker room, it was really upbeat going in there. In fact, this morning it was really upbeat and the attitude seemed really encouraging. I think that translated to the game, as Calgary played with spark and jump over an entire game for the first time in a while. After the game, it was smiles and a lot of enthusiasm. It was refreshing going in there talking about positives. Maybe the good feeling will spur the team onto more. Or maybe we'll see the consistency issues show their ugly head again.

Talking with Ales Kotalik following the game, he seemed pretty energized after his first game with the team. His words were, to paraphrase, "I've been on the losing side so many times, it was cool to come out of here with the fans cheering."

Curtis Glencross earned his first career hat trick on the night. Head coach Brent Sutter said following the game that, "We don't expect Curtis to score three every game, but we expect him to play like that every game." To me, that went back to the C word... when Glencross is going, he's one of the more dangerous players on the ice. When he's not, he's not very good. So the head coach is looking for more of what he saw in this game.

Sutter also was pleased with his forecheck, which was good all night long. I felt the forecheck was the best part of Calgary's game, and that all came from the jump and intensity Calgary showed right from the get-go. But again, it's important for this to happen again. It's important for this game to be the start of something, and at this point, it's just too early to tell if that's the case.

1cd23297a0d13720ec2fc6d9740ce395
Pat Steinberg can be heard daily on the Fan960 in Calgary at can be read at the FAN 960. Born and raised in Calgary, Steinberg considers himself a huge fan of all sports including the CFL, MMA and 13 round bare knuckle boxing matches. Follow Steinberg on Twitter at www.twitter.com/Fan960Steinberg.
#1 Bucknuck
February 04 2010, 08:42AM

Glencross with the Hattrick (psst - you said "shutout" in your post... that was Deslauriers).

He was one of my favorite Oilers and I am glad to see the guy have some fun. He's a good Alberta kid and an entertaining hockey player. You Flames fans are lucky to get to see him in the red jersey and I am just a tad jealous.

#2 bingofuel
February 04 2010, 09:23AM

@Bucknuck

Yeah, I also effed up the title... It's fixed now!

#3 Bucknuck
February 04 2010, 09:37AM

I love seeing that Halo on my man Glencross. and Optimitism is a great bingofuelism.

#4 bingofuel
February 04 2010, 10:01AM
Bucknuck wrote:

BAHAHAHAHAHA

Gods, I'm an idiot.

#5 Domebeers.com
February 04 2010, 11:26AM

The game was good because if you got it on TV, you didnt have to sit through the droning tedium of Peter Loubardias. I wouldnt mind if that guy got fired.

#6 roughneck
February 04 2010, 01:01PM

@Domebeers.com

At times Im afraid old petielous eyes are going to pop out of his head. Scarry looking skeleton of a man he is. And yes, his homerism gets a tad tiresome but its what hes paid to do.... apparently.

#7 CanadaGold2010
February 04 2010, 01:49PM

The Flames played a decent game except for the penalties ... as always the question remains, will they keep it up or be satisfied with an acceptable effort?

I'd imagine everyone in that locker room is wondering what else, if anything Darryl has lined up to nab some high quality players in exchange for the ton of bodies currently on board.

#8 Zoom15
February 04 2010, 04:23PM
Domebeers.com wrote:

I'm starting to get the impression that you want Peter Loubardias fired domebeers.

Is this the case?

#9 b1ackhat
February 04 2010, 05:42PM
Zoom15 wrote:

Is this the case?

LOL

#10 karen
February 04 2010, 08:21PM

I love Peter Lombardias he is awesome really enjoy everything he does for sportsnet and the flames

#11 Peter Loubardias' career legacy
February 04 2010, 08:38PM
karen wrote:

Agreed!

#12 RossCreekNation
February 04 2010, 08:43PM
Domebeers.com wrote:

I heard that about you ;-)

Personally, I like Lou though. Charlie Simmer on the other hand...

#13 Blazing Ace
February 05 2010, 01:24PM

Loubardias is a modern day Harey Carey minus the shakes and left field remarks...ergo he sucks!!!

I will credit him though on losing 200lbs, maybe Roger Millions should get on that horse.