GDFD No. 74: We'll be playing and having fun

Ryan Lambert
March 25 2010 04:37PM

Welcome to the Game Day Fire Drill, for this, Calgary’s 74th game of the season on March 25, 2010.

These next two games are pretty important.

Calgary fans may have looked at the schedule and said, "Oh, an east-coast road trip with two weeks to go in the season? What the hell?" and I don't blame them. But the way things have shaken out these next three games, played in four days (in a bizarrely laid-out geographical plan that has them start in New York, head north to Boston for a matinee two days later, then go down south to play Washington the next day), are going to be fairly important.

This game tonight, as well as the date with the Bruins on Saturday afternoon, are almost gifts. Calgary's been struggling, or at least foundering back and forth between solid-but-unspectacular and only-semi-competent, and a pair of dates with the Islanders, one of the worst teams in the East over the last 10 games and indeed all season, and the so-so, Savardless Bruins, could be just what the doctor ordered.

This SHOULD be four easy points. Start with two tonight and go from there.

Who

The Calgary Flames (37-27-9 for 83 points. Ninth in the West, third in the Northwest) and the New York Islanders (29-34-10 for 68 points. Fourteenth in the East, fifth in the Atlantic).

When

5 p.m. Mountain time and 7 p.m. Eastern time. All other time zones should show up NASA.

Where

Nassau Colisseum, Uniondale, New York.

Calgary is 18-11-6 on the road this year, and is 3-1-2 in road games against Eastern Conference opponents. The Isles are 19-13-3 at home, which is a better home winning percentage than Calgary's.

What (to hate about the Islanders)

Mark Streit — One of the most underrated defensemen in the league right here, even after he anchored the Swiss far deeper into the Olympic tournament than they should be. Case in point: in his two seasons with the Islanders, he's a plus-4.

John Tavares — He hasn't been as good as the Isles' management would probably have liked, but I guess you take 21-22-43 from a 19-year-old kid with no one on his line. He turned Matt Moulson into a 26-goal scorer!

Frans Nielsen — I just read something somewhere about how good he is.

Why

Because Staios is all we need to get by! Enjoy the game and ride Steve Staios to victory in the comments section.

686dfac3780611cb7acad6ce5166c6c1
March 25 2010, 05:01PM

Things to count during the broadcast:

1.) "Moving their feet" 2.) "Pucks and bodies to the net" 3.) "Keeping it simple" 4.) "Some kinda _____!" 5.) "With Numbers!" 6.) Whenever Nystrom and his place of birth are mentioned 7.) The phrase "Must win" or any derivative thereof.

As I typed this, #6 was mentioned in the preamble.

March 25 2010, 05:11PM

Abysmal first couple of shifts.

March 25 2010, 05:15PM

Talk about your bland outings.

March 25 2010, 05:20PM

These guys are skating in mud.

March 25 2010, 05:23PM

Wow. I think these boys are looking forward to golf season. They look absolutely awful.

March 25 2010, 05:25PM

Jeez...lucky as hell to have their second shot on net go in. Hopefully this wakes them up.

#8 Robert Cleave
March 25 2010, 05:28PM

Does anyone (Jean, if you're lurking, maybe you) know why Dawes was sitting? Even with everyone healthy, there had to be a way to get him in the line-up.

March 25 2010, 05:29PM

@ Bob

Because the Sutters needed to showcase the new guys?

I wouldn't go looking for anything rational, frankly.

March 25 2010, 05:31PM

Craig Conroy is on the PP? Really? REALLY?

March 25 2010, 05:36PM

hahaha. Tha Iggy/Stajan 2on1 was an abomination.

March 25 2010, 05:40PM

Okay, okay...I have joke...

The Flames Powerplay.

March 25 2010, 05:44PM

A thoroughly underwhelming period. Outshot 12-6, despite 6 PP minutes and all of one ES scoring chance.

They're lucky as hell to be tied.

March 25 2010, 06:01PM

Bright side...2nd period can't be any worse...can it?

March 25 2010, 06:08PM

Yawn. Maybe I should do my taxes?

#16 Robert Cleave
March 25 2010, 06:10PM

Yawn. Maybe I should do my taxes?

Or mine, if you're a masochist.

March 25 2010, 06:13PM

I'm sure it would still be more interesting than this "game"

March 25 2010, 06:19PM

And just to show me, Conroy with two beauty passes on the PP.

March 25 2010, 06:21PM

Good for Nyzerman.

March 25 2010, 06:32PM

Best part of this game so far? Loubardias:

"Rolling puck....man that thing just will not sit down.......talking about the puck."

Made me laugh out loud.

March 25 2010, 06:34PM

Definitely a better period all around. Chances were 5-1 in favor of the Flames.

March 25 2010, 07:01PM

Well, not a good start to the third.

March 25 2010, 07:12PM

Let's face it...if you play the NYI on the second night of a B2B and you play like THIS...you don't deserve to be anywhere near the post season.

#24 Robert Cleave
March 25 2010, 07:17PM

QFT, Kent.

March 25 2010, 07:25PM

Stick a fork in 'em.

March 25 2010, 07:35PM

Scoring Chances. Flames managed a season low 4 ES scoring chances. I'm incredulous.

#27 Pat Steinberg
March 25 2010, 08:08PM

I'm about to host a 43 hour show. Ugh, did this game really happen?

#28 Robert Cleave
March 25 2010, 08:11PM
Pat Steinberg wrote:

I'm about to host a 43 hour show. Ugh, did this game really happen?

Gird your loins, young man, and hope that people have moved from anger to acceptance.

#29 VK63
March 25 2010, 08:17PM

@Pat Steinberg

In your honor I shall listen

#30 George.T.
March 25 2010, 08:29PM

Lets hope the Sutters help the players sprout some balls, and heart for next season!!

#31 EricOG
March 25 2010, 08:57PM

Well, Lames fans....poetic justice is happenning right here. (think 2 of the 6 games against my Oilers)

Have fun at the golf course!!!!!!!

#32 OilFan
March 25 2010, 09:33PM
EricOG wrote:

Have fun at the golf course!!!!!!!

I'm a huge Oil fan and to be fair I haven't seen any Flames fans on the OILER NATION dissing us.

March 26 2010, 12:01AM
EricOG wrote:

Have fun at the golf course!!!!!!!

I would like to talk smack, but given Eberle and the Oil's upcoming sure thing draft pick, I can't do much hockey-wise.

However, I will say that you are uncouth and deserving of a backhand to the mouth, filthy knave.