GDFD No. 63: Oh. Oh Darryl no

Ryan Lambert
March 03 2010 03:55PM

Welcome to the Game Day Fire Drill, for this, Calgary’s 63rd game of the season on March 3, 2010.

So these are the Flames going forward. How you feelin' about them?

What's that you say? You're feeling worse today than you were yesterday? Samesies on this end. And that brings us to tonight's game, which Miikka Kiprusoff will be starting, backed up by... Matt Keetley? Never heard of that guy. On the other hand, the good news is that Steve Staios will not be available for tonight's game, so that's one less game with him on the roster.

Look, I'm not some kind of stat genius like Kent who knows all about quality of competition and shot plus-minus per 60 minutes or whatever they'll think of next (I'm waiting for someone to write a book about hockey that's like Baseball Between the Numbers so I can start to understand these mathematical concepts, but alas). I do, however, still know plenty about hockey, and certainly enough to understand that Darryl Sutter was on the wrong end of the kind of trades that get rejected by the computer in NHL 10, and that caused opposing GMs to say, "Hey Darryl can I put you on hold for a sec?" before breaking out into uproarious, ROFLMFAO-type hysterics.

Looking at these deals, I honestly don't know what the plan is any more. The team still has huge problems putting the actual puck in the actual net, and in its own zone. None of these trades address that, or do anything close to it. Hell, even in terms of picks, the Flames gave up a mid-round third and got a slightly-later-round fourth back.

Oh yeah, the Wild tonight. That should be a riot, huh? I heard the Flames are giving away paper bags to the first 10,000 fans tonight so they don't have to be seen watching this... thing. However, if said fans are smart, they will ask to swap out paper for plastic.

*remembers he has tickets to the Flames/Bruins game in Boston later this month* Oh hell.

Who

The Calgary Flames (30-23-9 for 69 points. Ninth in the West, third in the Northwest) and the Minnesota Wild (30-27-4 for 64 points. Thirteenth in the West, fourth in the Northwest).

When

8 p.m. Mountain time and 10 p.m. Eastern time. All other time zones should look at Sutter Frog.

Where

Pengrowth Saddledome, Calgary, Alberta.

Calgary is 15-14-3 at home this year, which is a dazzling number. The Wild are 9-19-2 on the road, but one of those wins came in..... you guessed it: Calgary.

What (to hate about the Wild)

Their GM didn't trade for Vesa Toskala today — No, he actually entered the season with two goalies with whom he was comfortable. What a novel concept!

Their GM didn't trade for Steve Staios today — Seriously, what the hell, man?

Their GM isn't Darryl Sutter — Ohhhhh that explains it.

Why

Because after this one the season will be incrementally closer to its conclusion. Enjoy the game and cry yourself to sleep in the comments section.

686dfac3780611cb7acad6ce5166c6c1
March 03 2010, 04:28PM

I keep expecting Sutter to jump out of somewhere and scream "you got punked!"

#3 sloppy Joe
March 03 2010, 06:46PM

Take a breath will ya?

I know we dont have time in theory...but give this 10 games. Either we are in a playoff spot and things are starting to roll, or were not, and then start banging your drum. Lets all face it....I remember hearing Ken King talk about a "Different kind of arangment that is unlike any other in the leauge" talking about Sutter. He is not going anywhere...anytime soon.

#4 Smitty
March 03 2010, 07:02PM

I'm torn today: for the longest time I used to subscribe to the 'In Sutter We Trust' theory but the more moves he makes, the more I'm starting to question my faith.

Daryl seems to have a sort of Jedi-like talent to convince GMs they don't want the players they have and that they want the crappy players WE have. That being said, I didn't see any of that Jedi type duping today. I don't really like any of the trades that happened this afternoon but my interest has been piqued. Toskala isn't great but neither was C-Mac so like Kent said in his earlier piece, that's moot. As far as the other major trade goes: (I can't comment on the Boyd one because we got essentially nothing for him) either he sees something he really likes in Staios or he's gone completely off the deep end.

I'm hoping it's not the latter but I'm not entirely convinced.

My only thought is maybe he's working to something big in the off-season and just needed to get all the pieces before the deadline hit. However, that's about as far as my guessing gets me...

March 03 2010, 07:24PM

All the bad feelings and thoughts I have about today will go away if the Flames can string together some wins here.

So...go wins!

#6 RossCreekNation
March 03 2010, 07:39PM

Honestly, I don't mind the acquisition of Steve Staios. I really don't. If it was a 4th rounder heading to Edmonton instead of a 3rd, maybe I'd even like the deal itself. I kind of think Darryl got things backward. He should've sent 4th to EDM & received a 3rd from NSH.

With the reaction thus far, I'm finding myself as one of the least negative toward the day as time goes on.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?!

March 03 2010, 08:12PM

Good to see Sarich is still giving the puck away in the defensive zone.

March 03 2010, 08:18PM

Loubardias and Simmer talking about Toskala will help spell off Kipper down the stretch...

they do realize Toskala is one of the worst goalies in the league, right?

#9 RossCreekNation
March 03 2010, 08:23PM

@Kent Wilson

If Sutter can make Sarich's 2 years @ 3.6 disappear this summer, thus essentially replacing him with 1 year of Staios @ 2.7, isn't that a good thing (at least if you think Sarich is indeed done and not just suffering through injuries). Perhaps Sutter targeted Staios as Sarich's replacement (cheaper, less term #5D) and just hasn't followed through with phase 2 of the plan yet. Given Sarich's contract & Sutter's desire for depth on D, I'm not surprised Sarich didn't move today, but maybe he has some value at the draft?

So IF... then is it okay?

#10 RossCreekNation
March 03 2010, 08:28PM

@Kent Wilson

Toskala as Nabokov's backup worked. I assume Kipper & Toskala are tight. With Brent not telling Vesa he's terrible everyday at practice (like Ron Wilson pretty much did on a regular basis in Toronto & San Jose), perhaps he settles in as a reliable backup. I'm so full of "perhaps'" and "maybe's" right now...

March 03 2010, 08:28PM
RossCreekNation wrote:

So IF... then is it okay?

Not really. Getting rid of Sarich is fine, but then absent Staios the Flames would have $3.6M to play with and perhaps get a superior player or two. Say, for example, Dan Hamhuis. Or he could have spent X on a depth defender and then the rest on, say, a contract for Higgins.

Instead, we're stuck with Staios, a 36 year old 3rd pairing guy who is guaranteed not to be worth the money.

March 03 2010, 08:30PM
RossCreekNation wrote:

Toskala was terrible before Wilson arrived in Toronto. He's been bad since 05/06.

March 03 2010, 08:36PM

Pretty pedestrian period thus far. I've liked Bourque, Moss and Higgins. The Iginla line has been really quiet.

#14 OilFan
March 03 2010, 08:41PM

Staios was brought in because Ian White will want a boat load next season. YES TPL YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT HOCKEY.

March 03 2010, 08:47PM
OilFan wrote:

Then you let White walk and you sign one of the other UFA defenders who isn't a doddering 36 year old whom the game has mostly passed by.

March 03 2010, 08:48PM

BTW folks, I count scoring chance every game.

Flames were slightly ahead in that period, 6-4. Unfortunately, the Wild were the ones who cashed in.

March 03 2010, 09:20PM

Sigh. This period sums up the Flames since Jan.01.

March 03 2010, 09:36PM

Chances were 8-4 in favor of the Flames in that period, but they were outscored 2-0.

Yikes.

#19 RossCreekNation
March 03 2010, 10:05PM

Its all yours, Kent... I'm goin to bed after Steinberg's latest tweet:

Calgary 38% in the faceoff circle after 40, they're down 3-0. 2-15-3 when trailing after 2 periods.

#20 rubbertrout
March 04 2010, 07:49AM

That plastrering took place without Steve Staios. ~I'm sure that he will stabilize the defennsive corps and maybe pot 15 or so goals coming home.~

The Oilers thank you Daryl!