Well, there's that...

Robert Cleave
July 01 2010 04:51PM

I'm baaaaaaaaaack. Did you miss me? I missed you.

Look, I'm not going to try to put any lipstick on this pig. Olli Jokinen's tenure in Calgary was a complete failure, full stop. His acquisition and subsequent trade bookended a period that one might hope had cured Darryl Sutter from making any rash moves.

With that in mind, his relatively inexpensive acquisition of Alex Tanguay earlier this afternoon made a bit of sense, especially since his initial move away from Calgary was driven by factors other than his actual performance.

This move, however, really defies description. So, is there any reason to hope? After the jump, I'll try to make some sense of it all.

I'd be the first person to say that I was pretty uncomfortable with Mikael Backlund as a stand-alone 3C, since he needed some very sheltered minutes to compete at the NHL level last year. Matt Stajan seems like a tweener 2/3C, and Daymond Langkow is still very useful, but he's no kid and is coming off a fairly major neck injury.

So I do understand that the team might have felt that their center ice position was looked a bit thin. I don't worship the cult of the "first-line center" as ardently as some, but the better teams in the conference (DET and CHI in particular) are three deep in the middle with some nice players.

My question would be, "Is there any evidence that Olli Jokinen any kind of solution to that problem?" The answer is a very slight chance of "maybe", but with a ton of qualifiers, none of which I'd expect the Flames to adhere to. First, Olli Jokinen has exactly zero historical evidence in his favour suggesting he can play against good players.

That means that if the club expects success from the return of the Wild Card, he has to play against soft competition, with a nice heaping of PP work. If the Flames have the wit to give him Hagman/GlenX and Moss for linemates versus third liners, he might manage to out-shoot and out-score. Olli Jokinen did have some poor shooting luck in terms of percentages, but his possession numbers were shabby enough versus top players to convince me that he wasn't merely unlucky.

Second, for the love of (insert the deity of your choice), keep him away from Jarome Iginla. Those two were the Toxic Twins last year, and I don't see how a brief interregnum will have solved their utter inability to make a go of matters.

I don't doubt that Alex Tanguay, if healthy, would be the kind of nice passer that might help both of them, but if that line runs PvP next year, their shifts will replace staged fights as my cue to head for the fridge or the can, because I won't want to watch that crap. I'm not the type to rubber-neck at car crashes, y'know? My concern is that Sutter and Sutter won't be able to resist.

I'm not going to belabor this much more. Olli Jokinen isn't the anti-christ, and as a small point in his favour, I do remember his surprisingly poignant presser the night he was traded where he took responsibility for the disappointing turn of events.

It was actually difficult to listen to, especially given that he and Brandon Prust clearly played that game under duress, since they were obviously headed to New York before the game started. So I try not to be too harsh toward a player that was a poor fit under the circumstances.

The guy who pulled the trigger? Well, I'll have a few words to say about him soon enough, if the authorities don't detain him for his own safety first. I think the mood might be a bit foul around Calgary for the near term, at least.

1a1030a8151ca7a0d81aea58f0fb1dbc
Robert Cleave is a perpetually grumpy Winnipegger.
July 01 2010, 05:09PM

In homage to your "lipstick on a pig" comment, I hereby dub thee Jokinen, "Babe".

#2 JF
July 01 2010, 05:18PM
SmellOfVictory wrote:

Really? I was thinking we'd call him Sarah Palin.

#3 R O
July 01 2010, 05:23PM

Tanguay - Langkow - Iginla Hagman - Stajan - Bourque Glencross - Jokinen - Moss

I'm not the happiest with this potential depth chart. The centres behind Langkow really cannot drive possession, though the wingers are pretty good. It would have been nice if Higgins could come in here and take one of those slots away.

Still, there is some potential PVP action with that top line. Iginla really scares me now and Tanguay's been verifiably injured (as opposed to Iggy where it's just me who thinks he's played hurt) but now at least the individual elements of the line all have track records of difference-making.

But you just know Lanks is not going to play in that spot. We're going to spend 60 games "figuring" out that Langkow is the best centre on the team. Again.

#4 JF
July 01 2010, 05:24PM

Olli on the Fan:

Shocked that the first guy to call was Darryl jumped on the offer, knows he didn't play as well as expected, glad to be back... liked the team & coaches, thinks that he can play like he did the first 10 games he arrived all season long and that he should, doesn't want to hit the post like he did all last year, says that Brent was a great coach had an emotional talk with him after the trade (Brent was apparently surprised), says he treats everybody the same and will be happy to play for them again, says that the team is strong and that they have to bounce back, he's happy that he still has a lot of his stuff in Calgary or in boxes (jokingly).

July 01 2010, 05:27PM

Uhh...are the reports the Flames signed Jackman and Ivanans right? Because, if so, the Flames now have Backlund slated to play with two guys who can't play hockey at the NHL level (but they're tough!).

Depressing.

July 01 2010, 05:28PM

Okay, wait...they signed Ivanans for ONE POINT TWO MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR??

I'm done with this management.

EDIT - looks like that's the total contract rather than per year. At least there's that.

#7 R O
July 01 2010, 05:29PM

Bah, Higgins is getting courted heavily according to Dreger.

I still think he'd be a better centre than Stajan (he has played centre before IIRC) and would cost, what, $3M at the top end right? And realistically you could probably get it done for 1/3 to 2/3 of Stajan's cap hit.

Bah.

#8 R O
July 01 2010, 05:30PM

Okay, wait...they signed Ivanans for ONE POINT TWO MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR?? I'm done with this management

It's 600k per year I think. Where are you seeing the 1.2 per year?

#9 RossCreekNation
July 01 2010, 05:31PM

Okay, wait...they signed Ivanans for ONE POINT TWO MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR??

I'm done with this management.

1.2 over 2 yrs... 0.6 per... right?

#10 JF
July 01 2010, 05:32PM

Okay, wait...they signed Ivanans for ONE POINT TWO MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR??

I'm done with this management.

You sure it's not 600K x 2?

July 01 2010, 05:32PM

God I hope so.

#12 Sonch
July 01 2010, 05:36PM

If ever there was a time id be inclined to make a comment, i guess today is the day. I honestly have a gut feeling this day may not be what FlamesNation was hoping for but i am interested enough in these moves for Tanguay and Ollie. I doubt Sutter has shown all his cards on the 1st day of the free agent frenzy so to all you that feel this is the worst day since the Gilmour Trade... Relax, wait for the next 90 days play out and see what lineup Brent has to play with.

#13 RossCreekNation
July 01 2010, 05:50PM

Via Bob McKenzie...

Eric Nystrom signs with MIN, three years at $1.4M per year.

#14 R O
July 01 2010, 05:54PM

Nystrom got 17% more money than Glencross despite the 10/11 cap being less than 5% more than 08/09.

Their track records were similar at the point of singing, though Glencross has been such a terrific depth forward in his tenure here that he must've been the same before as a Jacket/Oiler, a smart GM with keen eye could have spotted the difference.

I'm glad Sutter didn't get in on that action.

#15 Wanyes bastard child
July 01 2010, 05:56PM

And here I thought being an Oilers fan was tough...

#16 dustin642
July 01 2010, 06:11PM

I was shocked to hear Jokinen was back in Calgary (as were the rest of you) but really, at $3Mil per year for a guy who WANTS to be here and has a lot to prove to this team, its fans, and to himself, I am willing to give him another try. Who would you want on your team eating up $3mil for the next 2 years - Jokinen or Kotalik? Jokinen has little no chemistry with Iggy, but he does have chemistry with Niklas Hagman (those 2 were great together in the Olympics). He was deemed a big disaster because he was pegged as our #1 centre and was being paid as such. Now he is our 3rd highest paid centre and will be relied upon for secondary scoring/depth and is being paid less than Matt Stajan and Rene Bourque.

#17 Sonch
July 01 2010, 06:13PM

Sad to see Nys go to a division rival... would have loved to see him end up in Long island since his price at 1.4mil to put up 19 points just wouldnt have made much sense here.

#18 maimster
July 01 2010, 06:16PM

Robert, that's a great summary of the situation (or at least it matches my take, which is good enough for me!). I'm not devastated that Olli is on the Flames. The real issue is that a)He'll end up with Iggy and b)Darryl Sutter has appeared to be an imcompetent boob throughout all of his dealing with the Joker.

#19 B
July 01 2010, 06:21PM
dustin642 wrote:

AHMEN.

#20 iAlberta
July 01 2010, 06:22PM

“I believe that Olli and Alex complement each other and it was very important for us to be involved in signing both of these quality players,” Flames general manager Darryl Sutter said in a news release. “This really ties our centre ice position together nicely.”

All this quote is missing is some circus music playing in the background..

Lord have mercy!

#21 Brent G.
July 01 2010, 06:53PM

Okay, wait...they signed Ivanans for ONE POINT TWO MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR??

I'm done with this management.

Where did you hear they signed him. I havent been able to find any information on this. I cant imagine Backlund will be playing here next year unless there is an injury. Hes not a 4th line center and shouldnt be put in that position.

#22 Brent G.
July 01 2010, 06:58PM

@R O

I think a better team make up would presently be:

Tanguay - Langkow - Iggy

Higgins - Stajan - Bourque

Hagman - Jokinen - Glencross

I dont know but I would hope they can still find a deal for Higgins and White. The $$$ are there they just need to move Staios, Kotalik (prolly already gone), and Sarich. If Jokinen is treated as a 3rd line center this move might not be terrible. I wouldnt put money on him treated as a 3rd liner though. Maybe they would be better to treat jokinen as a winger but there again we all know that wont happen.

#23 Sherw88d
July 01 2010, 06:58PM

Do you find it funny, Robert, that Sutter seems to treat free-agency and the acquisition of veterans exactly the opposite to the way he treats drafting?

When he was at the table in the 3rd round this year, he wouldn't take Kabanov - arguably the 'all or nothing pick'. Instead he took Reinhart, who you deemed the 'nothing or nothing pick'.

Now, pressed against the cap instead of going with Dawes and more moderate production from younger players, he swings for the fences acquiring players that DID not work, and have struggled over the last few seasons. The "all-or-nothing" free agent.

#24 RossCreekNation
July 01 2010, 06:59PM

@Brent G.

#26 Brent G.
July 01 2010, 07:16PM

@RossCreekNation

What does FSNF stand for, Im thinking Fire Sutter Now ... whats the second F

#27 Sherw88d
July 01 2010, 07:16PM
Robert Cleave wrote:

So, Darryl Sutter won't gamble on a talented kid with a third round draft pick(Kabanov), but he'll roll the dice on Joker, baggage and all.

Tweeted exactly that thought a few hours ago, sir.

Hahaha I figured you'd be thinking that.

It's a great call.

#28 RossCreekNation
July 01 2010, 07:19PM
Brent G. wrote:

What does FSNF stand for, Im thinking Fire Sutter Now ... whats the second F

... uckers

#29 RossCreekNation
July 01 2010, 07:25PM

So, 3 min ago...

According to http://twitter.com/ToddNHL (http://twitter.com/ToddNHL/status/17534769384)...

Still waiting for Flames to make their move as they are not done for tonight.

#30 UltimateFlamesFan
July 01 2010, 07:39PM

2010-11 CALGARY FLAMES CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR FORWARDS Alex Tanguay ($1.700m) / Matthew Stajan ($3.500m) / Jarome Iginla ($7.000m) Niklas Hagman ($3.000m) / Olli Jokinen ($3.000m) / Rene Bourque ($3.333m) Curtis Glencross ($1.200m) / Mikael Backlund ($1.271m) / David Moss ($1.300m) * Ivanas, Raitis ($0.550m) / Daymond Langkow ($4.500m) / * Jackman, Tim ($0.600m) DEFENSEMEN Jay Bouwmeester ($6.680m) / Steve Staios ($2.700m) Robyn Regehr ($4.020m) / * Ian White ($3.500m) Cory Sarich ($3.600m) / Mark Giordano ($0.892m) Adam Pardy ($0.700m) GOALTENDERS Miikka Kiprusoff ($5.833m) / Henrik Karlsson ($0.500m) CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion) ROSTER: 21; CAP:$59.4m; PAYROLL: $59.379m; CAP ROOM: $0.446m BONUSES: $0.425m

Looks like this is probable roster for October

#31 Section 216
July 01 2010, 07:45PM

@RossCreekNation

Well Darren Dreger just said the Flames are done FOR tonight.

Ahh between the stress of the Dutch taking on the Brazilians and Flames management I may have a stomach ulcer brewing.

#32 TERRY C
July 01 2010, 08:03PM

WTF... I THOUGHT THEY WERE HIRING A BABYSITTER ERRRR ASSISTANT GM FOR DARYL SO THIS KIND OF SHTZ CANT HAPPEN? WONDER WHO APPROVED THIS DEAL? WAS T DARYLS ROOMMATE KEN KING OR DID OWNERSHIP ACTUALY SIGN OFF? IT WOULD BE NICE TO HEAR WHAT OWNERSHIP HAS TO SAY.

#33 RossCreekNation
July 01 2010, 08:05PM

Just as a funny story, here's what OilersNation writer, and former Oilers beat guy, Robin Brownlee had to say about Raitis Ivanans heading into today:

During the lockout season, I had a bit of a run-in with Ivanans while covering the Edmonton Road Runners of the AHL. Visiting teams at Rexall Place had a habit of sending their guys to the writing room adjacent to the dressing room, using it as a workout room for stretching and the like.
I walked in one night and there was a player, doing sit-ups on a mat, with his gear all over the place, meaning I couldn't set up my laptop and get to work. I said (in an unmistakeably dickish tone, "Hey, pal, you're not supposed to be in here."
That player was Ivanans. He stood up, walked over to me, looked down with sweat dripping off the tip of his bent nose, stared me in the eyes and said, "Sorry." I wanted to say, "Damn right you're sorry," but I was too busy worrying if anybody would notice I'd sh*t myself.
Ivanans is a top-5 heavyweight in the NHL and he made $600,000 last season. "And get the hell out of my writing room..."

#34 Lawrence
July 01 2010, 08:05PM

This is not going to be a popular sentiment.

The knocks on Olli Jokinen:

1. He can't play against the toughs. 2. He's lost his former scoring numbers level. 3. He's not particularly good defensively. 4. He has a big pumpkin head.

At 3.0million per year you can buy 2.3 Jokinen's for one Iginla. All of the criticisms of Jokinen apply to Iginla as well, we've all said it before. So ... there is that. Iggy may have a beautiful smile and a wonderful demeanor, but I've seen no compelling evidence that either of those or his captaincy make a significant influence on the Flames winning games, especially in the last two years.

You can now put this entire line out on the ice: Tanguay - Jokinen - Bourque

at a total cap hit of 8 million dollars... 1 more than Iginla alone.

I'm offering this as a bit of perspective for all those people losing their heads right now.

If we believe that possessing Jokinen for 2 years @ 3 million per is hugely problematic, then we should be losing our head even more so at Iginla's contract vs his value.

I'm not saying that makes things better, in fact, to many, it may just make them worse. However, Olli Jokinen for 3 million is not a terrible deal, considering what he can bring. I would have liked it to be 2.5 per year, but I can live with 3.0

Disliking a guy or liking a guy, should have little reflection on his measure or worth as an asset.

#35 Greg
July 01 2010, 08:07PM

Ales Kotalik has been waived.

That's good!

Nigel Dawes has been waived.

That's bad.

Flames signed Alex Tanguay.

That's good!

Flames signed Olli Jokinen.

That's bad.

Sutter is still the GM.

...

Can I go now?

To be honest though, let's say the Kotalik trade never happened. We kept Jokinen, but resigned him at nearly half the price in the offseason. I wouldn't like it, but I'd be thinking that $3M for a 50-60 point guy probably isn't terrible, and if nothing else, we'll have 3 lines that can possibly score so hopefully at least 1 does every game.

But it just makes that Kotalik trade even worse than it already was. The only way you could possibly justify it before was if Jokinen was such a locker room disruption that he HAD to go no matter what the cost. Clearly that wasn't case. Sutter has got some serious explaining to do, and I hope the media grills him. If all we get is a "to be quite honest" I'll be furious.

#36 RossCreekNation
July 01 2010, 08:15PM

@Lawrence

I don't think its so much Jokinen at $3M that has everyone pissed off. Its the trading of Jokinen (and Prust) for Kotalik (and Higgins), and then the waiving of Kotalik to sign Jokinen. Baffling. How do you sell that to ownership? To the fanbase?

#37 R O
July 01 2010, 08:23PM

The endgame is basically Jokinen for 5.5M --> Jokinen for 3M. The other stuff (assuming Kotalik is playing in the AHL of course) doesn't matter to me as a fan, it's not my money after all. It sucks not to have Higgins signed but it washes out because Kotalik's off the books.

No, the real issue with me is that I just don't like Jokinen at any price point that he commands. I'd take him at 500k in front of a tight coach, but that's totally unrealistic. At 3M I'd say no.

To Lawrence: Yeah, fair point with Iggy though I still think Iggy hasn't regressed to the point Jokinen's at. Iggy and Lankgow at least looked more than capable as a duo in their games together. I remember maybe one game (playoffs 09) where Jokinen looked like a difference maker.

#38 Lawrence
July 01 2010, 08:27PM
RossCreekNation wrote:

Come on, really? So what? BFD. Waiving Kotalik to sign Jokinen is a very very good thing, if we talk about those things in isolation (of course assuming Kotalik goes away forever)

I'll take Jokinen over Kotalik any day of the week. win.

Last year, the Flames were f*ked, and I'll exchange 2 months and a prayer with Higgins for Prust as well. win.

Again, then it's Kotalik vs Jokinen from last year. Didn't work out...it's a moot point, moving on. Call it a salary dump to acquire a back-up goalie.

It's strange how the events have unfolded, but Jokinen wasn't as terrible value last year at 5.5 as people like to make out. He finished third in team scoring playing only.

Now we have him for nearly half the price on July 1st. Would have been great to squeeze him for 2.5, but it's July 1st.

and Tanguay... he makes 300k more than freaking NYSTROM. Looking at that, is worth breaking out the champagne.

#39 RossCreekNation
July 01 2010, 08:35PM

@Lawrence

Oh, I'll take Jokinen over Kotalik, too. Which is what makes the trade so mind-boggling. What purpose did it serve? Now ownership has to worry about both guys $3M x 2 yrs. No skin off my a$$, but still...

Its not so much the Jokinen signing... its the Kotalik trade. WTF?

#40 John Deere Green
July 01 2010, 08:40PM

Is there any chance that maybe the Flames are not done yet? I know rumours are flying around right now but what if Sutter has something up his sleeve for a number one center? I don't know how he could pull it off but I sure hope he's not done yet. This is the same team as last year; slow, old, and easy to beat.

#41 Sherw88d
July 01 2010, 09:05PM

Well, I can't believe that I'm doing this, but if you look at the comparables - and what they signed for - Sutter did find good value getting Jokinen at 3per.

Matt Cullen - 3.5 per over 3 years - 2009 - 81GP 48 points -7 Ray Whitney - 3 per over 2 years - 2009 - 80GP 58 Points -6 Armstrong - 3 per over 3 years - 2009 - 79GP 29 Points +6 Jokinen - 3 per over 2 years - 2009 - 82GP 50 Points +3

Ray Whitney is a cap-hit-retirement risk, but it will remain to be seen which player does better over the next 2 years.

Now, admittedly Jokinen had a horrible season, but isn't there value in that contract?

I mean, Cullen has NEVER crested 50 points, and got a much sweeter deal. Armstrong has only hit 40 twice, and once was playing with Sidney Crosby. Whitney's had some amazing seasons, but do we think he's really going to hit 60 points in Phoenix?

I actually think we did well getting Jokinen for that price.

#42 dustin642
July 01 2010, 09:40PM

The whole situation is messed and getting messy-er (I almost wrote messier) all the time. The whole Jokinen trade, then re-trade, wave one player we traded for and don't sign the other only to re-sign Jokinen... Little sticky, but going back in time to when Sutter made the deal, his team had little to no offensive depth and couldn't put the puck in the net during practice on McIlhenney. So he made a gamble, bring in 2 former 20-goal scorers and hope that a change of scenery makes them good again. Didn't work out, but at least he took that gamble when most GM's would have sat on their hands.

#43 cr_
July 01 2010, 10:39PM

Well i guess I will start off by saying that I have been a Darryl Sutter supporter for the majority of his tenure as Flames general manager. However, with that being said, it is impossible to endorse or condone the way in which he has conducted his business over the past six months. This franchise has gone from being an underachieving team with potential to the laughing stock of the national hockey league. Darryl has traded away Phaneuf (who I was happy to see leave) for far less compensation than was deserved. As much as I disliked Dion's efforts and contributions on a a night in night out basis he still had and has an enormous upside. But all we got in return was a pretty good second line player in Hagman. A maybe potential second line center who was overpaid to stay in Stajon. A respectable 3 or 4 defenseman who will soon be overpaid in White. As well as a throw in in Jamal Mayers. Plus to top things off we throw in a prospect, albeit marginal, in Aulie, and a nobody in sjostrom. Then Darryl decides to trade his prized number one ceneter Olli for a pretty damn good player Higgins and a bag of pucks making 3 million per named Ales Kotalik. Then Higgins walks as a UFA. he is still trying to figure out how to make Kotaliks 3 mil disappear. And to top it off resigns the traded player on the first day of free agency. i thought Jokinens first stint in a Flames uni was a failure, however had he played out his contract and been resigned i probably wouldn't have an issue. But to trade him for an untradeable "asset" in Kotalik and then resign him shows that Mr. sutter has no (what do u call it) common sense. The Tanguay aquisition is not terrible. but you bought out one of your best dollar for dollar producers to make all of this happen. As a one time staunch Darryl booster i find this somewhat difficult but how does this man still hold a job. There are armchair gm's all over who have more foresight, thoughtfullness and intuition than this man has shown. Now is the time to sever ties with the man who has brought this franchise back to relevance and respectability before he takes us right back to where we were when he joined the organization. Goodbye Darryl, you had a good run for awhile but i dont see any circumstances in which u hold onto your current or get another of similar stature in this league.

#44 Emir
July 01 2010, 10:53PM

Ok so we can safely say that most of the Flames Nation has jumped out the window, and I was one of the first to go through.

After hitting the ground, I guess the fact of the matter is that there wasnt much else Sutter could do. What other Center could we add who would of had a scoring touch of some sort in this free agency pool?

I think the reason Sutter made this deal is because what if he cant trade for a viable center? Then what?

I'm sure Sutter wasn't sitting in his office all giddy for 10 AM to roll by so he could start negotiating with the Jokinen Camp. It is what it is folks; reality.

#45 dustin642
July 01 2010, 10:55PM

Even though I like the Jokinen signing (in isolation) I sure hope that Sutters next signing is that of an Assistant General Manager.

#46 Petri Skriko
July 01 2010, 11:30PM

I wrote this [below] on Jan 26/2010 ..............................

OK lets assume that someone was smart enough to make me the GM of the Calgary Flames. I would admit that my team is not in the elite category and I would purge now to become elite in 18 months. This has nothing to do with the current losing streak.

Purge! Purge! Purge!

Assuming I am the GM that means Sutter is gone. [I think his lack of the ability to smile hurts the organization]... anyway. Traded right now are Iginla, Phaneuf, Jokinen and Reghear. Also bit parts such as Langkow, Conroy and Sarich are gone. It takes stones but it needs to be done. The Flames have traded away all of their youth trying to get elite this past decade. This team is built for now and it is not good enough. Imagine what you could get back for these 7 guys. Change the culture of that room and remove the stale attitude that permiates. This is a young mans league and the Flames are an 'old' team. Look down there roster... there is no youth. Their 1st rounder is headed to Phoenix this summer as part of the Jokinen trade.

Keep your goalie. He is good. J-Bo is an excellent defenceman. This is your foundation. Go out and get Coach Sutter players and get them young and mouldable. Years ago Nieuwendyk [in his prime] was traded for a puppy named Iginla. That trade needs to happen again. You need to go out an find a young stud to build around again. Hanging on to Iginla is only going to decrease his value is you every want to move him. Phaneuf is going to bring you something really good as long as you don't trade him for 'depth' [see: Joe Thornton 2005]. Jokinen and Reghear can get you back picks and prospects from a team desperate for a big centre or a big D-man for the playoff run. Package a couple of these guys up. Think outside the box.

You are probably going to suck next season but you have that first round pick.

Purge! Purge! Purge

#47 George.T.
July 02 2010, 12:36AM

@dustin642

Totally agree, this might work out...and if it doesnt at least its Sutters last year. Its a win, win for the fans. Interested to see what Sutter does next, if he can get a trade for another passer, this team might be really good!!

#48 UltimateFlamesFan
July 02 2010, 12:38AM
Petri Skriko wrote:

I wrote this [below] on Jan 26/2010 ..............................

Purge! Purge! Purge!

You are probably going to suck next season but you have that first round pick.

Purge! Purge! Purge

Phaneuf was traded last year.

#49 UltimateFlamesFan
July 02 2010, 12:39AM

whoops just saw the note at the beginning my mistake.

#50 KingJafi
July 02 2010, 07:38AM

You know what scares me the most is that ownership knew how Sutter botched things up this season. Their support of Sutter at the Olympic break means they OK'ed the Kotalik trade. Then at season's end they somehow got duped by Sutter to not only keep his job but gave him the authority to go after the Joker again. I don't mind Jokinen really, I have more of an issue at how stupid everyone from ownership to management look like for the way they've treated the guy. My real questions are, is ownership that stupid? Does Darryl secretly own the team? Or does Darryl have the owners in a mind hex?