Backlund Recalled

Pat Steinberg
January 04 2011 02:42PM

After being assigned to the Abbotsford Heat on Sunday morning, the Calgary Flames have recalled forward Mikael Backlund; he'll join the team in Vancouver ahead of their game against the Canucks tomorrow night.  Backlund played one game with the Heat, going pointless as the team was shutout 4-0 by Manitoba.

The original plan was to have Backlund play four home games in Abbotsford, but a disappointing 5-2 loss to the Islanders last night changed the thinking of the team.  Head Coach Brent Sutter says he wants to play Backlund against Vancouver tomorrow.

I've been against the sitting of Backlund since the very beginning, from both a hockey and development standpoint.  He's played one game (in the AHL) over the last 16 days, which is ridiculous for a 21 year old forward who you have future hopes for.  It's even more ridiculous when it's blatantly clear that he's given you more on a regular basis over the last two months than Matt Stajan, Curtis Glencross, Niklas Hagman and Ales Kotalik.

His game against Minnesota on December 18th wasn't good, but I believe it sent a horrible message for one bad game to yield six games in the press box.  I'm hoping to see him back against the Canucks tomorrow.

1cd23297a0d13720ec2fc6d9740ce395
Pat Steinberg can be heard daily on the Fan960 in Calgary at can be read at the FAN 960. Born and raised in Calgary, Steinberg considers himself a huge fan of all sports including the CFL, MMA and 13 round bare knuckle boxing matches. Follow Steinberg on Twitter at www.twitter.com/Fan960Steinberg.
#1 Gange
January 04 2011, 02:44PM

Why shake up the roster when you're winning so much?

Those comments from Mr.Feaster doomed the Flames.

Great to see Backlund back!

Now sit Jokinen.

#2
January 04 2011, 03:07PM

Backlund should not have been sent down in the first place.

Also, has JD Watt asked for his release?

#3 everton fc
January 04 2011, 03:08PM

Don't sit Jokinen. He's actually trying. Engaged.

Stajan needs to sit. And while sitting, needs to be shopped.

#4 Gange
January 04 2011, 03:14PM
everton fc wrote:

Don't sit Jokinen. He's actually trying. Engaged.

Stajan needs to sit. And while sitting, needs to be shopped.

Agreed.

However I don't see anyone picking up Stajan. Perhaps on re-entry waivers.

#5 everton fc
January 04 2011, 03:42PM

Package Stajan... with someone/something... and someone may bite. Who needs a soft, "play-making" centre for $3mill/yr. with an NTC?

Edmonton??

#6 Bob Cob
January 04 2011, 03:47PM

@everton fc

hahahahahahahahaha you're funny, are you here all week? No way Tambellini is going to take Stajan when he has Souray to deal with and already has an overpaid overrated second line centre in Shawn Horcoff still on the books. Nice try though, have to give you credit for actually using your brain and trying to put together a coordinated idea, have fun riding the short bus.

#7 the forgotten man
January 04 2011, 04:17PM
Bob Cob wrote:

Although I have no "horse in this race" I see three possibilities..."Bob Cob" is either a lifelong Liverpool FC fan or a frustrated Oilers diehard or, most scarily, a combination of both.

Everton FC- I say its "Bob Cob" in a TKO unless you come back strong.

#8 Dave
January 04 2011, 05:00PM

I'm just wondering who is in charge of player development. It seems to me that Backlund has been on a roller coaster. Consistency is the best thing for a player. He needs a role. Right now he's playing all over the place. It's a joke. It doesn't matter if he's in the minors or the majors. He needs consistency.

#9 negrilcowboy
January 04 2011, 05:00PM

Very perplexing the way the Flames have handled Backlund from draft day until today. Firstly Backs should have either remained in Sweden following the WJC of a couple years past, or sent directly to Kelowna. In North American junior he should have played the year, and after lasts year camp been sent somewhere for an entire season, not up then down and up .....This season coming out of camp it should have been to the Heat for serious minutes or the Flames bottom lines to apprentice. Never to the press box limbo that he experienced, then sent to the Heat for a game? One of the biggest concerns when dealing with top prospects if not the most important is the psyche.The rationel of this movement suggest injury,trrade or that they are finally sick of MATS.

#10 Dave
January 04 2011, 05:01PM

#11 John Deere Green
January 04 2011, 06:55PM

I know I'm going to get blasted for even mentioning this but I'll put it out there anyway. "Breaking news; Flames look to trade something big in next few days". This is courtesy of our pal Eklund. So how much stock do we put in this, 1% chance?

#12 John Deere Green
January 04 2011, 06:56PM

#13 negrilcowboy
January 04 2011, 07:06PM

@John Deere Green

A trade wouldn't be a shock,check with the realtors usually they have a heads up before the media.

#14 walkinvisible
January 04 2011, 09:37PM

@negrilcowboy

dude, are you seriously calling him "mats" on purpose ? if yes, please describe naslund or sundin (cause, IMO, stajan ain't comparable to either).

#15 negrilcowboy
January 04 2011, 10:21PM

@walkinvisible

No not comparable to either of those Mats, but stajan plays like a very famous swede.Hammarstrom, both could take a shift with a dozen eggs and come back to the bench without any cracked.

#16 BCFLAME
January 04 2011, 10:44PM

On a side note, have you guys seen the Calgary Sung article regarding the spat between Dsut and Bsut?

Man, I didn't know professional sports organizations in Calgary were run like high school football teams.

Funniest part was when Feaster admits that the Flames inconsistency, as evidenced in the Islanders game, left him pondering into the wee hours of the night. Lol, you and me both, buddy.

Seriously, though, we're in big trouble, and we don't need to exacerbate matters by ruining our only decent prospect currently in the NHL by putting him on a roller coaster.

I hope to God Ecklund is correct this time around, if that means Stajan and Sarich are on their way out of town for Schenn and Simmonds ;)

#17 dotfras
January 04 2011, 10:47PM

Wouldn't put too much stock in Eklund.

Boggles my mind how Backlund gets sat through a series of crap teams and will most likely draw back in for VAN/DET. Jeez.

#18 dotfras
January 04 2011, 10:51PM

Guys that need to go ASAP for whatever we can get (in order of importance):

Kotalik Stajan Sarich GlenX Morrison Hagman

I don't think Iggy will move. I'm on the fence personally about whether or not I want to see him go. On one hand I realize that we would get some great prospects/picks & be able to start a rebuild. At the same time however, as some have stated, he would be a great dude to help with some younger player's development.

#19 everton fc
January 05 2011, 12:52AM

@Bob Cob

Re: Stajan to Edmonton - I was joking. Sort of...

@ForgottenMan

Even though I'm a Flames fan... I cheered for the Oilers vs. the Canes. As an Everton fan, the rivalry vs. Liverpool... Different story!

If Bob Cob supports both Liverpool and the Oilers, he is certainly a unique, frustrated being. Of course, neither Liverpool or Everton are worth much this season - kind of like the Flames and Oilers. Eerily similar situations... if one looks at the standings.

Bob Cob -Sorry the Stajan trade to Edmonton ruffled your feathers. Perhaps Ottawa will take him off our hands? Or Nashville?? :) And what about relegation in the NHL? A concept to consider??

#20 everton fc
January 05 2011, 01:02AM

Sarich is +10. Why move him now?

Live bait includes Hagman, Stajan, Glencross, Bourque... Stajan being the least attractive (point-production doesn't justify the price tag). Bouwmeester is another. Huge albatross, in terms of a price tag.

Sarich may be attractive to some teams. But what's the return? Would anyone take him as a 5-6 d-man here, for the same price as Tanguay next season?

#21 Gange
January 05 2011, 07:51AM
John Deere Green wrote:

I wouldn't even give it 1%.

Although with how vague the statement is any trade could happen and he could say "That's what I meant".

Trades are going to happen just don't know that you'll see a blockbuster any time soon.

#22 Gange
January 05 2011, 07:53AM
everton fc wrote:

Sarich is +10. Why move him now?

Sarich being a +10 is the perfect reason to move him now. He has some value.

I'd get a roster player of some description and a 2nd if I could.

#23 TheGirlOutWest
January 05 2011, 08:09AM

Maybe Bourque is still in his PCS fog. Oh wait, that smack upside his head was over 2 months ago, but with the likes of Savard coming back too soon from his concussion, then sitting out for an extended time, maybe we need to see Bourque re-evaluated and sat down, too, as he is AWOL most of his shifts lately!

#24 everton fc
January 05 2011, 09:25AM

@Gagne

Sarich should have value at +10. Agreed.

Would you take him as a 5-6 defender at Tanguay's current salary? To me, he's an ideal 5-6 "guy", at the right price. Or, do you go to the farm and give the kids a chance. (Anyone think Erixon starts the season in Calgary next season? How Brodie doing in Abbotsford??)

As for Bourque... if he is damaged goods... and he is prone to "damage"... why not move him now? Or do we "hold" and see what the off-season brings to compliment him [Bourque]

??

#25 Gange
January 05 2011, 09:37AM

@everton fc

I'd take Sarich as a 5-6 guy for the right price on the right team. Don't forget that he has a SC Ring that could be of value to a team that wants that experience. The trade deadline may see him go. It wouldn't shock me.

Bourque should be able to eventually rebound, or at least I hope so. Which would give him some trade value. I like him but there are so many liabilities on this team that an asset like Bourque (with a reasonable salary) could catch an eye or two.

#26 dotfras
January 05 2011, 09:50AM

Sarich at +10 will be the best you will see him. Move him now to a team short on Defensive depth & playoff experience. Rangers, Predators, Sabres, Blues?

#27 the-wolf
January 05 2011, 10:39AM
wrote:

Backlund should not have been sent down in the first place.

Also, has JD Watt asked for his release?

don't you mean brought up in the first place? The best thing for his development would've been to play the entire season as the #1 centre for the HEAT.

#28 the-wolf
January 05 2011, 10:42AM
Gange wrote:

Sort of like how Colorado got Fleischmann for Hannan? Can someone please explain to me where we were on that? We should've initiated those talks...............oh, wait....I forgot....Fleischmann is a young and highly skilled forward and we don't do that here.

#29 everton fc
January 05 2011, 12:00PM

@Gagne/wolf

I like Sarich. But if you can land a guy like Fleischmann for him, I say do it. That said, he's a solid 5-6 guy here, as well. But I get your point.

What could we get for a package of Sarich/Bourque/Stajan... Or any combination of the three? (I am dreaming... please take this into consideration before responding!)