FGD: Here We Go!

Pat Steinberg
October 08 2011 12:12PM

After far too long a summer, after weeks of training camp, after six preseason games, and after a nine day break, it's finally time to start the season for the Calgary Flames.  Every game matters.  It's the motto for the team this year, and after missing the playoffs by just three points one year ago, it's something that rings truer than ever.  To open the season, the Flames welcome the PIttsburgh Penguins (8 pm, CBC and Sportsnet 960).

We all remember how the season started one year ago for the Flames, as they fell 4-1 on the road in Edmonton, a game that sort of set the tone for the first couple months of the season.  Calgary knows how vital it is to start the season in line with the rest of the Western Conference, something they didn't do last season.  The Flames cannot find themselves behind the eight ball heading into 2012, because an .800, two month run just isn't realistic.

The Lineup

Things are the same as they have been for virtually the entire last week, as the Flames have had some heavy practice time over the last week plus.  Jarome Iginla will play for the first time this season, as he missed the entire exhibition schedule recorering from a sprain in his back.  How rusty will the captian be?  We all know Iginla is prone to slow starts, so maybe having no preseason games will give the opposite effect.

The lines and pairings are the same as they have been all week, which are as follows:

Alex Tanguay-David Moss-Jarome Iginla
Curtis Glencross-Olli Jokinen-Lee Stempniak
Niklas Hagman-Roman Horak-Rene Bourque
Tom Kostopoulos-Matt Stajan-Tim Jackman

Mark Giordano-Scott Hannan
Jay Bouwmeester-Chris Butler
Cory Sarich-Anton Babchuk

For Horak, it's a big night, playing his first ever NHL regular season game.  The coaching staff is very high on the former member of the Chilliwack Bruins, and I can see why.  I know some expert pundits have criticized his lack of points in the preseason, but that's a little shortsighted in my eyes.  He's a smart hockey player who puts himself in good spots and can do the job at both ends of the ice.

Brendan Morrison, Raitis Ivanans and Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond all skated this morning with the main group, but will all miss the game.  Morrison and Ivanans remain on injured reserve, but are cleared to play; they're just getting back up to speed prior to being activated.  As for PL3, he'll serve the final game of his suspension before hopefully taking up his regular spot as a healthy scratch.

Miikka Kiprusoff gets the start in net for Calgary.

The Opponent

The Penguins opened their season on Thursday night with a fairly impressive 4-3 shootout win over the Vancouver Canucks.  Of course Sidney Crosby didn't play that night and won't play this evening either, as his timeline for returning is 100% up in the air.  He is traveling with the team, but remains on injured reserve recovering from a concussion.

The guy everyone will be watching Evgeni Malkin, who certainly looked out of sorts in his first game back in months.  It'll take some time for Malkin to get back to regular form, after suffering a serious knee injury last season.  Even when Malkin is healthy, he's not the same player Crosby is, we know that, but he can still dominate teams from the offensive blueline in.  He'll be playing with veteran Steve Sullivan and former Dallas Starts winger James Neal tonight.

Steve Sullivan-Evgeni Malkin-James Neal
Chris Kunitz-Jordan Staal-Tyler Kennedy
Matt Cooke-Mark Letestu-Pascal Dupuis
Craig Adams-Joe Vitale-Arron Asham

Kris Letang-Derek Engelland
Paul Martin-Zbynek Michalek
Matt Niskanen-Ben Lovejoy

We're thinking Marc-Andre Fleury gets the start in net for the Penguins tonight, which would make sense.  Pittsburgh makes the trip to Edmonton tomorrow night to finish off a gauntlet of tough games, seeing three home openers before having their own later this week.

This is a very well coached team that has some very good high end, and some decent depth players along the way.  Martin and Michalek make up a very solid second pairing, and play some tough minutes while Cooke, Kennedy and Dupuis are strong depth forwards that can do the job asked of them consistently.  The most dangerous thing about the Penguins is how regimented and patient they are, preying on the mistakes of their opponent.

The Story

Every game matters.  This is a theme that needs to be taken seriously by the Flames this year, because they are in too tough a conference to have the periods of inconsistency they had one year ago, especially early in the season.  With teams like the Blues and Blue Jackets improving, the competition for a top eight spot becomes even more difficult for the coming year.

1cd23297a0d13720ec2fc6d9740ce395
Pat Steinberg can be heard daily on the Fan960 in Calgary at can be read at the FAN 960. Born and raised in Calgary, Steinberg considers himself a huge fan of all sports including the CFL, MMA and 13 round bare knuckle boxing matches. Follow Steinberg on Twitter at www.twitter.com/Fan960Steinberg.
#1 Big Cap
October 08 2011, 12:45PM

5-2 Pens.

October 08 2011, 12:53PM

IGINLA BEAST MODE: Hat trick. Flames win 4-3.

October 08 2011, 12:54PM

Really interesting to see Horak start on the third line. I'm not sure I'd bet on that continuing, but I can't remember the least time a rookie forward started that high in the rotation. I'll be very interested to see how Sutter deploys them tonight.

Another point of interest is to see how the second line fares without Mosser. Stempniak has always been a moderate third liner who can put up points, but never one to shut anyone down or drive possession.

#4 Robert Cleave
October 08 2011, 01:11PM

That third pair for the Flames makes me a bit nervous, given that it contains two non-skaters and one of the two handles the puck like it'll give him rabies.

I'm thinking Joker and Iggy's lines will play against Pittsburgh's top two sets, so Horak might see Mark Letestu. Letestu can play a bit, so we'll get a decent idea of what Horak's got.

#5 Vintage Flame
October 08 2011, 01:13PM

I like the line up Pat. I think it will be interesting to see how Horak does on the third line, but being between Hagman and Bourque could produce some dividends. I'm thinking he gets at least his first point as a Flame tonight. I hope Hagman can continue the effort he showed in the preseason.

I like the new motto on the wall as well. this year, more so than others. "Every game matters".. I hope they take that to heart!

Go Flames!

#6 Vintage Flame
October 08 2011, 01:15PM

@Robert Cleave

I guess we'll find out early how good of shape Sarich and his hip is in, playing with Babchuck. I don't expect to see heavy minutes out of that pairing.

#7 funkyjaman
October 08 2011, 01:28PM

If Horak can play the set-up man between Hags and Bork, that line will have high potential.

#8 Canucks Suck
October 08 2011, 02:17PM

well we got 9 games here to find out. Go Horak! even though I believe he will be sent down I wanna see the kid battle.

October 08 2011, 02:29PM

@Canucks Suck

The 9-game thing isn't relevent for Horak. That only applies to junior-eligible players on their ELC. Horak is a pro this year one way or the other.

#10 Canucks Suck
October 08 2011, 02:34PM

Ahh thanks Kent I totally forgot about that. For some reason I forgot he was stayin pro this year no matter what. Thats even better though I think cause if he does really well they won't need to send him to the heat.

NHL.com has P3L as our 13th forward though I hope they don't dress him.

#11 Greg
October 08 2011, 02:39PM

I'd prefer to see Bourque on that second line as he's more capable of playing a shutdown role than Stempniak (assuming we get the good version of Bourque tonight and not the big idiot one that kept showing up last year). I'd also rather see Stajan on the third line as I think he, Hagman, and Stempniak could produce if given a lot of soft minutes, and that remaining fourth line could provide some great energy minutes. The d-combinations look right too me with what we've got, and the third pair doesn't cconcern me at all as long as they are managed correctly.

Otherwise, I just hope someone uncorks on Cooke and knocks him out of the game early so we don't have to worry about his shenanigans all game (I mean "uncorks" as in clean hit resulting in non-serious injury).

Now DROP THE PUCK!!!

#12 Greg
October 08 2011, 02:42PM

Btw, someone should really take those quotation marks off the motto this year and just put a period on the end. It's going to become a running joke at some low point in the season otherwise :)

#13 xis10ce
October 08 2011, 02:48PM

@ Greg

I would have to agree with you, Bourque would be a better choice for the shutdown line. He has shown that back when played with Langkow.

October 08 2011, 02:59PM

@Greg

I would have agreed about you re: Bourque before last season. But after last year, I'm not so sure. We talk alot about Stajan and Hagman having to win their way back into the good books, but so does Rene. Last year was his worst in Flames colors all things considered.

#15 thymebalm
October 08 2011, 04:56PM

Nobody buys that Rene was suffering from a 'mystery ailment' or what?

#16 negrilcowboy
October 08 2011, 05:33PM

the product of lac labiche raining booork was very much invisible for many a night last campaign.

#19 schevvy
October 08 2011, 05:36PM

So happy for hockey to be back! Unfortunately I have to PVR the game, but hey, at least there's hockey to watch!