NHLNumbers Podcast: Episode I

NHLnumbers Podcast
November 07 2011 08:54PM

Welcome to the inaugural edition of the NHLNumbers podcast. As the Nations crack tech team gear up to relaunch our salary/stats site, Jonathan Willis and I decided to get together to talk "new" stats at length and to record some of those conversations. In a radio studio. With guests. Today we debut the first of perhaps many such conversations.

The aim of NHLNumbers podcast will be to explain, clarify and apply so-called "new stats" in the NHL. With this framework in mind, each week we plan to tackle different topics with the help of learned others.

Segment 1

In part 1, JW, myself and producer Justin Azevedo talk about our own introductions to advanced stats and how "new stats" relevant in our views of the game. In particular, we look at where some of this type of analysis "began" for each of us and try to defuse some of the myths surrounding it.

Segment 2

The Globe and Mail's James Mirtle was kind enough to drop in and offer his own experiences with the genesis of advanced analysis on the ye old interwebs as well as how such stats are used and viewed in a more mainstream setting currently.

Segment 3

In the final segment, we take a look at some of the emerging narratives of the early NHL season, including the struggles of the Montreal Canadiens and the unlikely success of the Edmonton Oilers.

Full Podcast

Here's the whole thing for those who don't go for this piece meal stuff.

We hope to make the podcast assessable to those already well read in advanced stats as well as those with a passing interest or familiarity with the subject. This is new ground for everyone involved so feel free to offer constructive criticism. We'll be glad to tackle particular inquiries if you email them to kent.wilson@gmail.com as well.

94ba95fab8740ada4d871df564c355cd
A podcast aimed at investigating advanced stats in hockey.
#1 Jay Gray
November 07 2011, 08:54PM

FIST

#2 Wanyes bastard child
November 07 2011, 09:01PM

Well that's clearly a Wanye photo-shop if ever i've seen one :P

#3 bezer
November 07 2011, 09:16PM

Can I find this on iTunes?

#4 Hallberle
November 07 2011, 09:20PM

also looking for this on iTunes so I can listen in the car. Is it available?

#5 Wanye
November 07 2011, 09:24PM
Hallberle wrote:

also looking for this on iTunes so I can listen in the car. Is it available?

Yeah it is on iTunes along with all the other NationRadio broadcasts.

#6 Wanye
November 07 2011, 09:25PM
Wanyes bastard child wrote:

Well that's clearly a Wanye photo-shop if ever i've seen one :P

I don't do Photoshop.

*sniffs haughtily and flounces away*

#7 Wanyes bastard child
November 07 2011, 09:30PM
Wanye wrote:

I don't do Photoshop.

*sniffs haughtily and flounces away*

"May the FIST be with you"?

Kent Wilson on Anikan with Kim Jong Whatsisname as the shadow?

;)

#8 David S
November 07 2011, 10:51PM
Wanye wrote:

Yeah it is on iTunes along with all the other NationRadio broadcasts.

You guys ever think about a "player" page on the site with all the archived podcasts? It'd sorta be like CBC's HNIC video section.

*Wonders what local businesses would be interested in advertising on/sponsoring the new ON podcast page*

#9 friday the FISTeenth
November 07 2011, 10:52PM

WILLIS AND HIZ STUPPD STATS AGAN!!!!! I LIKE SOUP!!!

#10 Brandon
November 08 2011, 02:18AM

Just a heads up, the iTunes podcast is only segment #1.

#11 Marcus
November 08 2011, 07:05AM

A revenge of the nerds on hockey poster upcoming? love the Kim Jon Uhhh

#12 Chris
November 08 2011, 08:13AM

I miss how nhlnumbers used to let you see cap implications and UFA lists for future seasons. When it used to be a good research website, not a general reference site.

November 08 2011, 08:36AM

@Chris

We can get that going again in the next iteration of the site.

#14 Rob L
November 08 2011, 09:09AM

Really hoping this becomes a regular podcast going forward. I'm only into the second segment and its great stuff. Being a Rangers fan with an understanding of this stuff has the perception of practicing witchcraft in NYR world; its unreal. Would love to hear George Ays one episode.

November 08 2011, 09:21AM

@Rob L

Glad to hear it. We have a second episode in the can already. It may become a weekly or bi-weekly thing.

George is a great idea for a guest.

#16 Rob L
November 08 2011, 09:35AM

@Kent Wilson

Awesome. Also, is that the Hip for the intro/exit music? Spare me because I'm from Central NY, but went to school near the border so I've had experience with them.

George, as you know, is well spoken and has more patience than I when it comes to the comments over at BB. Good stuff.

#17 Dirk
November 08 2011, 09:41AM

Outstanding stuff, guys.

One point that was brought up about the broader adoption of advanced stats is the arcane lingo, and a suggestion I'm a big fan of is the use of "Total Shots" in place of Corsi, something I first saw on a Nashville Predators broadcast.

People are already familiar with what "Shots On Goal" mean, so using "Total Shots", or something like "Total Shots +/-" in place of Corsi would make that concept much more accessible to folks.

Looking forward to future episodes, do you know if you'll have an RSS feed of just the mp3's?

November 08 2011, 11:29AM

@Dirk

If you don't mind the ungainly aspect of it, the most accurate description would be "shot attempt differential." "Shot differential" would sound better, but unfortunately it would be a misnomer.

November 08 2011, 12:56PM

@Dirk

We sort of get into the terminology next episode, but you're right - the lingo is probably off-putting to some.

#20 ChinookArch
November 08 2011, 03:46PM

@Kent Wilson

Just listened to each of the segments. Good work Kent!

November 08 2011, 06:02PM

@ChinookArch

Thanks CA.

#22 devojo
November 09 2011, 01:22PM

Definitely like how you take the stats and then explain them in laymens terms as in the Jerome Iginla example. Like really he's only good for how many more wins a season, lol, but then as you explain there's the trickle down effect. Without that reasoning it be hard to see how thats possible. I'd like the bi-weekly cast, eats more of my work week up...thks

#23 Reidja
November 09 2011, 07:31PM

Kent, really good listen. Not for the numbers necessarily but for the perspective.

#24 MattF
November 14 2011, 03:12PM

Thanks for the shout-out, Kent. Glad that BofA has a legacy that Sacamano and I can be proud of :)

#25 ezmac
November 14 2011, 10:04PM

I downloaded this podcast after hearing it mentioned on Team 1260. I may be in the minority, but I think it might be worthwhile to spend some time getting the listeners up to speed with the concepts you're speaking about. I find just jumping right in assumes a lot of your listener base and may alienate some. I'm sure there's a lot to learn, but even spending some time to give the listeners the basics and provide some resources for further learning would be helpful.

Looking forward to the next episode.