Game No. 53: Steve Staios appreciation night

Ryan Lambert
February 03 2011 04:10PM

Wait that can't be right.

So I'm goofing off at work today, as I am wont to do, and I check Twitter. I see a tweet from Vicki Hall, and assume it will be more information on the Bouma call-up, which I'd heard about earlier.

"Steve Staios draws in," it said.

My hope, my infinite and boundless wish, was that I had long misunderstood the term "draws in." I of course knew that it meant a defenseman being slotted into a forward position, but I was choosing to believe I had been wrong all these years.

Because there was no way in the fiery pits of Hell itself that Steve Staios getting shifts at forward could be considered a good idea at any level above Timbits. And I'm talking Steve Staios now. Mite B defenses would probably eat him alive.

On some level, it makes sense. I guess. If you do have to dress seven defensemen — and Calgary does what with Lance Bouma unable to make it to the game tonight — you probably want the six that are actually quasi-competent NHL-level players to do the actual defenseman-ing, so maybe you give Staios between three to five shifts up front in remarkably low-leverage situations, and only when Jarome Iginla and Rene Bourque are tired of being double-shifted. Plus, when he inevitably turns the puck over twice a shift, there will probably be someone behind him to potentially clean up the mess (this, however, is not a given, as we well know).

But on the other hand, no. This is not a thing that should be allowed to take place. I don't care that the Thrashers have won something like two of their last 13, or that Dustin Byfuglien has regressed toward the mean with a thud heavier than his one-timer or that their offense has been deader than Calgary's farm system. The words "Steve Staios" and "forward" should never ever ever ever ever be in the same sentence without the words "over Brent Sutter's dead body" right next to them.

So whaddaya think tonight? At least a minus-2, yeah?

It certainly has been a season.

686dfac3780611cb7acad6ce5166c6c1
#1 everton fc
February 03 2011, 04:15PM

I posted before - Staois played RW for the Thrashers back in the '99 season. Indeed a homecoming!

#2 dickshilling
February 03 2011, 04:35PM

The only solace I take from this game is I won't have to watch it as it is an early start combined with a late class for me.

We might as well dress him as backup goalie and slot Karlsson in as forward. I'm not even kidding.

#3 B
February 03 2011, 04:44PM

...come on people. Staios is old and slow, but he works hard and is a responsible defensively. He's obviously not a 3 million dollar player, but it is what is it.

#4 Scott
February 03 2011, 04:48PM

He can do less damage as an old and slow forward than an old and slow defensemen...

I still stick by my belief that this teams turnaround came when he got injured.

I just feel for Backlund... Expected to be a high scoring playing, and now playing with a defensive defensemen? Hopefully hagman goes and he moves up to the 3rd line atleast!

#5 John Deere Green
February 03 2011, 04:51PM

One thing we know for sure will happen as the Flames are famous for first goals, slump busters ect; is that Big Buff will break his slump tonight. Hopefully the Flames will prevail and continue towards making the playoffs. Agreed on Staois, he's brutally slow, he should be in Abby and Bouwma or someone else should have been here all year long!

#6 B
February 03 2011, 04:53PM

...I feel for Backlund too. He should be in Abbotsford playing 20 minutes a game, not on the 4th line with Kostopolus and Staios.

February 03 2011, 05:00PM

Ehh...Staios will be fine with Backlund and Kostopolous assuming they aren't delpoyed against Ladd (they won't be). Here's ATLs probable 4th line:

Patrice Cormier-Tim Stapleton-Chris Thorburn

Nothing to worry about there.

#8 Scott
February 03 2011, 05:02PM

@Kent Wilson

Flames should wear extra head protection with Cormier on the ice!

February 03 2011, 05:04PM

@Scott

Especially Bourque, who seems to get more than his fair share of cheap shots.

February 03 2011, 05:09PM

Wow. The attendance is depressing.

#11 B
February 03 2011, 05:10PM

...W-O-W. There is next to nobody in the stands in Atlanta.

#12 coptin_
February 03 2011, 05:13PM

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm........blue cotton candy! 2 please

February 03 2011, 05:14PM

Pretty tame PP to open things.

February 03 2011, 05:15PM

Spoke too soon.

#15 coptin_
February 03 2011, 05:15PM

was atl affected by the blizzard of 2011

#16 B
February 03 2011, 05:19PM

...the people of Atlanta don't need the excuse of a blizzard to not attend Thrashers games. They just don't like hockey.

#17 Scott
February 03 2011, 05:20PM

@Kent Wilson

I fully agree, Bourgue doesn't need any more help getting injured...

February 03 2011, 05:25PM

Flames have been really limp since the PP. I know they're ahead, but 5 minutes into the first is a little early to start sitting back so aggressively. They should be tilting the ice against the Thrash at ES.

February 03 2011, 05:43PM

Not exactly a picasso, but I'll take the lead. Chances were 5-4 in favor of CGY although I think 3 or 4 of them was on that 4 minute PP to open the period.

#20 icedawg_42
February 03 2011, 05:50PM

have we even seen staios yet? (sorry im mildly distracted)

February 03 2011, 05:53PM

@icedawg_42

I think he may have had 2 shifts. Looks like Sutter is double shifting guys rather than putting Staios on the ice as much as possible

February 03 2011, 05:55PM

Corsi. Not a lot to separate the two clubs at ES in the first.

#23 icedawg_42
February 03 2011, 06:01PM

what the heck? i go to the washroom and its tied, less than a minute into the second? good job guys.

#24 TheGirlOutWest
February 03 2011, 06:01PM
John Deere Green wrote:

Just as stated.......first in 6 games.......Little

February 03 2011, 06:01PM

That one is on Gio. He decided to cover no one in particular.

February 03 2011, 06:07PM
TheGirlOutWest wrote:

Just as stated.......first in 6 games.......Little

haha, good catch.

#27 icedawg_42
February 03 2011, 06:12PM

i'd like to see Nick Papageorgio pot one sooner or later here...

February 03 2011, 06:13PM

Well, maybe the Flames can do something on the PP, because they've done nothing in this period so far.

#29 icedawg_42
February 03 2011, 06:15PM

hmmmmmmm....nope~!

#30 icedawg_42
February 03 2011, 06:18PM

iggy worked his butt off to keep that play alive.

February 03 2011, 06:19PM

Gio made up for his earlier gaffe with that pass.

#32 icedawg_42
February 03 2011, 06:24PM

That ref literally intercepted a Byufglien punch heading for Tangs' face

February 03 2011, 06:34PM

Chances were 5-4 in that one for ATL this time. Flames had just 2 at ES in that period and both came on the Morrison goal shift.

#34 TheGirlOutWest
February 03 2011, 06:39PM

haha, good catch.

Stewart Zero Points in last three games. Anybody else we'd like to help out.....? Hopefully not Buff or Oh Do Ya

February 03 2011, 06:49PM

Corsi. Flames underwater in that one marginally (-2).

February 03 2011, 06:59PM

I think it's going to be one of those periods where both teams play for OT.

February 03 2011, 07:05PM

Good god Jokinen.

#38 icedawg_42
February 03 2011, 07:08PM

Good god Jokinen.

Unbelievable!

February 03 2011, 07:24PM

Chances were 6-5 for the Thrash in the third. Either team could have won this one.

#40 icedawg_42
February 03 2011, 07:26PM

Did I just see a regulation win????

#41 coptin_
February 03 2011, 07:31PM

geez if getting rid of dutter was all that was needed to change the atmosphere in the room and put the boys bak on the winning track and a possible play off spot just think where we would be had they got rid of him sooner,we might be chalenging the canucks for 1st place

#42 everton fc
February 03 2011, 07:32PM

This is a huge win. The game itself may not have been one for the scrapbook... but the fact they continue to win games they have to win - and on the road.... Again, huge.

I've said this before - Morrison is someone we should consider re-signing. I mean it. He's a class guy, on the ice, and in the dressing room. The latter is incredibly important. If we could hold onto Conny this long... we owe it to Morrison to re-sign him for another year.

I mean it.

#43 icedawg_42
February 03 2011, 07:33PM
everton fc wrote:

I mean it.

he's definitely full bang for the buck so far!

#44 B
February 03 2011, 07:38PM

...the streak lives!

#45 everton fc
February 03 2011, 07:44PM

@icedawg

Yep, Definitely.

We are the hottest team in the league right now. And on our way home...

Hate to dream, but I'm a fan... Could this be another 2004? We were 32-23-5 at the end of February... If we go 6-2 the rest of this month...

#46 John Deere Green
February 03 2011, 07:47PM

I just looked at the standings and noticed that both Colorado and Minnesota each have 3 games in hand. This could be tight for playoff seedings right down to the final night of the season.

#47 everton fc
February 03 2011, 07:52PM

@JohnDeere

That's the only downside right now. Games-in-hand. PErhaps our Achilles heel.

Still, I am feeling like a kid. Like it's some sort of run. A run to the playoffs. My kids feel it. It's subtle, but it's there.

Listening to Brent now... post-game... he sounds a lot more upbeat. Well, maybe not upbeat - that's not possible. Call it confident. Focused.

Would it be amazing if a second Sutter took us... Getting ahead of myself, hey?!

Go Flames! This fan's behind you 'til the end.

#48 TheGirlOutWest
February 03 2011, 08:04PM

I've never been so depressed over a 5 game winning streak.

@the-wolf February 02 2011 *****************************************

Wow, the-wolf must be getting more and more depressed by the hour. Guess I shouldn't comment on the absent, but as a fan, I can't wait till Saturday and the Kings!

#49 Vintage Flame
February 03 2011, 08:04PM

It's good to see the boys playing their game. It may not be a pretty game but at least when the going gets tough, they don't fold like a cheap tent.

They seem to be committed in just doing what they need to get the 2 pts. In my books, that's good enough. i'd rather see an ugly win than watching them lose and mumbling, "But they looked good.."