FGD: Injuries

Pat Steinberg
February 09 2011 12:50PM

The Calgary Flames will be without two regulars tonight when they take on the Ottawa Senators for the second time this season (7:30 pm, Sportsnet Flames and Sportsnet Radio FAN 960).  It was announced this morning forward Alex Tanguay is out indefinetely with a concussion while defenceman Adam Pardy, who left Monday's game with an upper body injury, is also out indefinetely.

So the Flames will be a little shorthanded as they look to extend their eight game point streak against the dismal Sens.  Calgary did some good things against the Blackhawks on Monday night taking a hard earned 3-1 win and getting them back into a playoff spot.  It'll be a different test tonight, and if Calgary plays the way they have for the most part over the last 20 games, they'll probably come away with a win.

The Lineup

Tanguay was not on the ice at practice this morning, which was the first clue something was up.  When we saw Rene Bourque skating on the top line, we wondered if Brent Sutter was juggling his lines, trying to get something from further on the ranks.  It was initially announced as a concussion for Tanguay but has since been changed to a neck strain; he's classified as day-to-day.  It's obviously a big loss for the team, as Tanguay has been one of their most consistent performers, and on the offensive side of things, has been doing it all year long.

On the blueline, the Flames were without Pardy for the latter half of the third period on Monday night, after he suffered an upper body injury.  Brendan Mikkelson will take his place tonight, seeing his first action since Calgary's eastern road swing last month.  It was either Mikkelson or Sarich getting into the lineup, and I'd personally rather see Mikkelson myself, so I like this decision.  Here are how the lines and pairings shake down:

Rene Bourque-Brendan Morrison-Jarome Iginla
Curtis Glencross-Olli Jokinen-David Moss
Tom Kostopoulos-Matt Stajan-Tim Jackman
Niklas Hagman-Mikael Backlund-Lance Bouma

Robyn Regehr-Jay Bouwmeester
Mark Giordano-Cory Sarich
Anton Babchuk-Brendan Mikkelson

Hagman returns to the lineup after missing a pair of games, and putting him on the fourth line is just fine with me.  He's been a non-factor far too often as of late, so other players deserve to elevated in place of him.  Bouman plays his third straight game, and while he hasn't been playing a ton of minutes, he's been doing just fine with what he's been given.

Miikka Kiprusoff gets the start in net, which is the right call.  The Flames have two points staring them in the face against a poor opponent, and needing every point they can get, I have no problem riding the goaltender who's been your best.  If Calgary is going to want to get where they want to be, they're going to do it on the back of Kiprusoff, so this is the right call.

The Opponent

The Ottawa Senators are awful.  They have a lame duck Head Coach being told what to do by a lame duck General Manager.  Lets be honest, Bryan Murray should have been gone a while ago, and this team is likely only going to get worse before it gets better.  But we don't really need to pontificate on the plight of the Sens, as it's fairly well laid out...that 0-8-2 mark in their last ten is pretty telling.

The Sens won't have their best lineup either tonight, with Daniel Alfredsson not in the lineup with a back injury.  He's also out indefinetely, and is Ottawa's leading scorer, so obviously it's a big loss.  Alfredsson is not the player he once was, but for a team that struggles for offence like few other teams in the NHL, he's still a massive loss.  Bobby Butler will slot into the lineup with Alfredsson sitting out.

In terms of quality players, Jason Spezza is the best on this team, and he's back in the lineup after missing a number of games after suffereing a shoulder injury on Boxing Day.  Spezza continues to center the top line, and has a relatively strong Corsi number considering how poor Ottawa's possession numbers are.  Spezza has the lowest zone start on the team (!!) and one of their better Corsi rates...yeah...this guy is actually a pretty good hockey player.  The team isn't necessarily as bad as their awful run of late suggests, but they're also not a very good team.

One of the biggest reasons this team hasn't done much of anything is what they've got going on in net.  Robin Lehner gets the start tonight,  This was a guy who was playing at the World Juniors after Christmas, and is now getting sizeable minutes in the NHL, and good for him, but at this point he's not the answer.  Maybe down the road he will be.  Brian Elliott certainly isn't the answer either, as both guys have ES save percentages south of .900.  That's all you need to know.

Here are lines and pairings for the Sens tonight:

Milan Michalek-Jason Spezza-Ryan Shannon
Zack Smith-Peter Regin-Alex Kovalev
Nick Foligno-Mike Fisher-Bobby Butler
Jarko Ruutu-Chris Kelly-Chris Neil

Chris Phillips-Erik Karlsson
Chris Campoli-Sergei Gonchar
Matt Carkner-Filip Kuba

Phillips is the main guy utilized in a shutdown role, and he'll be deployed as such tonight.  Karlsson has some real nice potential, and has put up some nice numbers.  He's still developing as an all round defenceman, obviously, but he's definetely their brightest young player right now.  Carkner returns to the lineup after missing time with a lower body injury; he'll take the place of Brian Lee.

The Story

Well, this is a game Calgary needs to win, and Calgary should win.  Even if the Flames were in 14th place heading into this game, they'd still be in a good place to win this hockey game.  Ottawa is reeling beyond belief at this point, and losing Alfredsson will be huge.  Tanguay's loss will be big for Calgary too, but I think the Flames are better suited to deal with it their injury than Ottawa is with theirs.

The Flames didn't get any help on the out of town front last night, which underlines the two biggest words for Calgary down the stretch: just win.

1cd23297a0d13720ec2fc6d9740ce395
Pat Steinberg can be heard daily on the Fan960 in Calgary at can be read at the FAN 960. Born and raised in Calgary, Steinberg considers himself a huge fan of all sports including the CFL, MMA and 13 round bare knuckle boxing matches. Follow Steinberg on Twitter at www.twitter.com/Fan960Steinberg.
#1 FireOnIce
February 09 2011, 12:56PM

Would be interesting to find out when and where Tanguay got his concussion. Hopefully it was during a game, and not out drinking on 17th Ave after the win against Chicago.

#2 icedawg_42
February 09 2011, 01:03PM

Apparently it happened when he took that 3rd period holding penalty in the third the other night. I dont remember seeing it, so I have no idea how that could have happened. Pardy's is his shoulder. I like the Mikkleson over Staios decision too, though pairing him with Babs scares me a little...The boys should win this one even without Tangs..and they've been pretty consistent lately, lets hope the injury bug doesnt REALLY hit them like 2008

#3 icedawg_42
February 09 2011, 01:03PM

No idea why that got posted twice.

#4 everton fc
February 09 2011, 01:05PM

Any hint of Pardy's injury? Hopefully not his shoulder again. He might be turning into a fragaile player.

Hagman/Backlund/Bouma may be an interesting line. Our third and fourth lines will hopefully put up some #s.

Tanguay's concussion - wonder how serious? This may be a huge blow to this team. And time to perhaps make a trade, or call up Matt Keith and see if he can score at this level.

(Anyone notice Dustin Boyd's got 14 goals, 0 assists, in 21 games on the Habs farm team?)

#5 icedawg_42
February 09 2011, 01:34PM

Pat, not sure im on the same page about goaltending though - wouldnt you rather give the Tower the 'softer' competition? We all know Kipper CAN play the last 30ish games, but "should" he? It can be argued that EVERY game from here on out will be 'must-win'. It's obvious you dont want to expose the Tower to more potent offense, like Vancouver (unless you're throwing in the towel on that given night)...so, as far as Karlsson's concerned, if not tonight, when? You aren't going to see much softer competition.

February 09 2011, 01:41PM

Good catch on Spezza Pat. He's having a monster season in terms of possession...especially for a guy who hasn't had to drive the bus before. He has one of the best corsi ratios on the team with the score tied:

Something else the stats-inclined will noticed: the Sens possession rankings kind of mirrors Calgary's - most of their top-end or money players are middling or underwater, while it's the cheap guys/players who are sheltered (outside Spezza) who are above water.

#7 Emperor Crayons
February 09 2011, 01:45PM

@everton fc

I'm pretty sure Matt Keith's contract is AHL-only, I don't think he's an option. If I had to guess I'd say Stone or Nemisz would be next in line for call-ups in terms of forwards. I think Feaster might've mentioned a few names not too long ago but I don't really remember.

Hell maybe Brodie could get a look as a #6 who can take Tanguay's place on the PP. He couldn't be worse at EV than Babchuk or Mikkelson could he? Well, maybe. We'd better just hope this concussion isn't too serious...

#8 icedawg_42
February 09 2011, 02:07PM

Holy crap - just noticed tonights schedule. There are a LOT of games tonight that are meaningful to us!! I cant believe im saying this, but i'd like to see wins from both the cOilers and the Canuckle-heads (I just threw up in my mouth a bit)...and Columbus and Detroit...I guess Minnesota too. Wow, I didn't expect to be watching the standings like this any time soon!

#9 Vintage Flame
February 09 2011, 02:13PM
icedawg_42 wrote:

I'm currently reprogramming my TV's PIP so that I can open as many windows as the opening credits of the Brady Bunch.

#10 Charleston Kingsley
February 09 2011, 02:40PM

Bourque should not be on the first line.

#11 icedawg_42
February 09 2011, 02:44PM
Charleston Kingsley wrote:

Bourque should not be on the first line.

yeah, but..who else?

#12 schevvy
February 09 2011, 03:10PM

@icedawg_42

JACKMAN!! :)

#13 Jarom
February 09 2011, 03:12PM

Someone who shows they give a crap. I dont care if they go out and are inneffective, as long as they work hard....

He doesn't deserve it, but I hope he makes the most of the opportunity.

#14 icedawg_42
February 09 2011, 03:13PM
schevvy wrote:

JACKMAN!! :)

I'd LOVE to see Jackman up there - god knows he's earned it! Never happen though.

#15 everton fc
February 09 2011, 03:36PM
Emperor Crayons wrote:

I know this... but he's scoring down there, on a team that can't score. You never know.

Stone makes the most sense as the next call-up. Or Meyer. Not sure about Nemisz...

We shall see. Perhaps a trade is in the works...??

#16 Vintage Flame
February 09 2011, 04:06PM

This from Twitter...

#Flames announce Tanguay's injury is NOT a concussion, instead a neck strain. He's day-to-day

#17 schevvy
February 09 2011, 04:11PM
Vintage Flame wrote:

This from Twitter...

Hopefully he can be back soon. Glad to know it's not a concussion, as shown with Crosby a concussion can take a while to get back from

#18 Charleston Kingsley
February 09 2011, 04:28PM

@icedawg_42

I wouldn't mind Backlund centering that line and Morrison playing the wing.

#19 FireOnIce
February 09 2011, 04:56PM

Concussion and neck strain are fairly different things. Are we still rolling with doctors from Darryl's era?

February 09 2011, 05:20PM
Charleston Kingsley wrote:

I wouldn't mind Backlund centering that line and Morrison playing the wing.

I support this notion. Ottawa is the perfect team to do it against, too; good to test Backs in the top 3 against a weak team.

#21 MC Hockey
February 09 2011, 05:53PM

Wow, worried about Tanguay now...great players this year...re: inury who knows what is true, Flames don't want headhunters to get him and REALLY put him out so "changed" the injury. I do like Bourque on LW on top line...it could work and hey, you can change it anytime and maybe put Backlund up there or Glencross. And Hagman with 2 young guys couuld energize him on line 4. Going to the game as normal so hope to be seeing a good effort and of course a win!

#22 MC Hockey
February 09 2011, 05:58PM

Hey Pat, In the article you said "It was either Mikkelson or Sarich getting into the lineup, and I'd personally rather see Mikkelson myself, so I like this decision." I assume when you said Sarich, you meant Staois. And I agree, why give minutes to a soon-to-retire or at least not-gonna-be-signed guy unless he is awesome and Staios is NOT!