Postgame: Comedy

Pat Steinberg
March 26 2011 11:40PM

The Webster's dictionary defines the word comedy as an amusing event or sequence of events.  Yeah that about fits what we saw Saturday night in Edmonton, with the Calgary Flames scoring three third period goals to tie a lifeless hockey game, and they'd eventually win thanks to their old friend, the shootout.  Against the Oilers, it's not so improbable, but seeing Steve Staios tie the game late in the third pretty much summed up the night.  Season not over.

What Happened

The Flames were absolutely listless in the opening 20 minutes, doing very little throughout the opening frame, and the worst nightmare seemed to be coming true...a lifeless Calgary team doing absolutely nothing in a game that means a ton.  The Flames were down in the scoring chance count after one period, and they were down by a goal as well, thanks to Magnus Paajarvi at 15:24, converting a two-on-one for his 12th of the season and a 1-0 lead after one.

The second period was much the same, with Calgary doing very little once more.  They would tie the game on the powerplay at 8:22, with Jarome Iginla rifling his 35th of the season past Devan Dubnyk from the blueline for a 1-1 tie.  That tie game didn't last long, with Teemu Hartikainen jamming home a loose puck in the plue point just 59 seconds later, restoring Edmonton's one goal lead.  A late powerplay for Calgary gave them an opportunity to draw even, but a bad play from Alex Tanguay would end up in the back of their net, with Colin Fraser scoring his third of the season with 26 seconds remaining, and the Oilers would take a 3-1 lead into the final frame.

The third period saw the worst possible start for Calgary, with Ryan Jones getting his 17th of the season at 3:31, giving Edmonton their largest lead of the night, and the feeling on Twitter was season over.  But, then a marginal interference call on Hartikainen gave the Flames a powerplay, and Iginla would tally again, similar to the way he did in the first period.  The captain's 36th came at 5:55 and started the comeback, or the collapse, depending on how you look at it.  Calgary was gifted one at 12:09, with a bouncing puck mis-played by Edmonton defenceman Jim Vandermeer landing right on the stick of Curtis Glencross.  He'd make no mistake, and his 23rd of the season had the Flames right back within one, setting up the Staios narrative late.  After a good shift in the final two minutes, Staios was noticeably down low for a long time, and the first Oilers player ever traded to Calgary would see the puck land on his stick in the right circle, and he'd make no mistake, beating Dubnyk, and sending this sucker off to overtime.

The overtime period was fairly uneventful, so the shootout, again...the 16th time this season Calgary would go to penalty shots.  After the puck skipped off the stick of Jordan Eberle, it set up Mr. Automatic, and Tanguay would live up to that nickname in the shootout.  Ryan Jones and Rene Bourque were stopped, and Miikka Kiprusoff would stop Hartikainen for the 5-4 Calgary won.  And all I could do, honestly, was laugh a little.

One Good Reason...

...why the Flames won?  Because no game is ever over against the Edmonton Oilers.  Iginla's second of the night visibly rattled a young, inexperienced Oilers team, and Calgary stayed calm and took advantage.  The Flames are a better hockey team, and they showed on this night that they can be the better team for, say, 15 minutes or so and still win a hockey game they were down by three in.  Eh, does it save the season?  That's maybe a little dramatic, but it's better than a season ending loss!

Red Warrior

In terms of overall play for 60 minutes, there are better candidates.  In terms of awesomeness, there are not.  Steve Staios is your Red Warrior, because he's awesome, because he has FlamesNation contest named after him, and because he tied the game with his third of the season.

Sum It Up

Okay, was it fun, yeah, it sure was.  What does it mean?  Well, that depends what the Flames make of it, as we update things, and I'll do it on a team by team basis...

Elimination Number: 4.5

Anaheim's regulation win means that Chicago is now the eighth place team in the Western Conference, and they need nine points to eliminate Calgary from playoff contention.  They have eight games remaining, so a .500 record from Chicago will do it.  But, with Anaheim looming as the next opponent for the Flames, hey, it could make for an interesting string here.  All that said, Kent's point in the scoring chances post is correct...Calgary can't play like that, as they were hot garbage for the majority of this game.  The fact they won is nice, but overall, they need to be loads better for the final five.

1cd23297a0d13720ec2fc6d9740ce395
Pat Steinberg can be heard daily on the Fan960 in Calgary at can be read at the FAN 960. Born and raised in Calgary, Steinberg considers himself a huge fan of all sports including the CFL, MMA and 13 round bare knuckle boxing matches. Follow Steinberg on Twitter at www.twitter.com/Fan960Steinberg.
#1 schevvy
March 27 2011, 12:17AM

Steve Staios: 3 goals this year, all in the 3rd period! What a clutch player eh?

#2 FireOnIce
March 27 2011, 12:41AM

We barely pulled out a win over the worst team in the NHL right now. Do we really deserve to be in the playoffs? At this point, is there even enough gas left to hold off Vancouver for more than 4 games?

This team just keeps on teasing. Should Chicago falter, or we ignite again, it would be a crying shame to have Vancouver bury us 8-2 in the final game, just like last season.

Gentlemen and gentlewomen, get your liquor of choice cracked and ready to swig.

#3 CitizenFlame
March 27 2011, 12:42AM
schevvy wrote:

I can't believe it but I think Staios only scores when it absolutely matters most. I bet if you broke it down further, he probably only scores in the final 10 minutes of the third period.

#4 CitizenFlame
March 27 2011, 12:44AM

Of course I turned this game off after the fourth goal by the Oil, fairly disgusted by the effort tonight only to flip it over later to have the wife point out the score on the ticker. Amazing that they pulled it out. Play like that again and they're done, but they survived and that's all that matters. 1 down, 5 to go. Don't over analyze. Just chalk up two points and move on.

#5 Justin Azevedo
March 27 2011, 02:48AM

1. no such thing as "clutch", at least in the sense it's portrayed 2. that game was totally awful and terrible and bad.

EDIT: lol Staios

#6 Quintana
March 27 2011, 08:42AM

Congrats on just barely defeating the Barons!!

#7 oilers1974
March 27 2011, 10:01AM

you're celebrating a shootout win over an ahl team? well done calgary.

#8 Gange
March 27 2011, 10:17AM

Before this road trip it was anticipated that the Flames had to go 7-3 in the final 10.

So is 6-2-2 any different than that? If not doesn't that mean that they could afford to lose one more?

#9 funkyjaman
March 27 2011, 10:24AM

@oilers1974

Nope not celebrating the fact that we beat the worst hockey team in the history of the NHL. We are laughing at the fact that the flames only had to play 15 mins of hockey to do it!! That's funny stuff! The oilers...ha ha ha ha!!

#10 OilFan
March 27 2011, 10:26AM

No calls untill the last five min against the flames haha haha got to love the refs in the NHL. You guys are right an NHL team doesn't have to show up untill the third to beat a AHL team.Flames second goal was off a brutal call lol . But how do you stop a superstar like Steady Steve

#11 Bob Cob
March 27 2011, 11:52AM

The truly funny thing was the commentary done by Mark Lee and Kevin Weekes, I thought Peter Loubardius was a homer, but he has some catching up to do to catch Weeks and Lee, pathetic!

The sad thing was the Flames needed a shoot out to beat an AHL team, I think we can end the debate now, the Flames are not making the playoffs, so you all can start shining your clubs.

#12 otto
March 27 2011, 01:10PM

THE DEAD COLLECTOR: Bring out yer dead. [a man puts a body on the cart] FLAMES FANS: Here's one. THE DEAD COLLECTOR: That'll be ninepence. THE FLAMES: I'm not dead. THE DEAD COLLECTOR: What? FLAMES FANS: Nothing. There's your ninepence. THE FLAMES: I'm not dead. THE DEAD COLLECTOR: 'Ere, he says he's not dead. FLAMES FANS: Yes he is. THE FLAMES: I'm not. THE DEAD COLLECTOR: He isn't. FLAMES FANS: Well, he will be soon, he's very ill. THE FLAMES: I'm getting better. FLAMES FANS: No you're not, you'll be stone dead in a moment. THE DEAD COLLECTOR: Well, I can't take him like that. It's against regulations. THE FLAMES: I don't want to go on the cart. FLAMES FANS: Oh, don't be such a baby. THE DEAD COLLECTOR: I can't take him. THE FLAMES: I feel fine. FLAMES FANS: Oh, do me a favor. THE DEAD COLLECTOR: I can't. FLAMES FANS: Well, can you hang around for a couple of minutes? He won't be long. THE DEAD COLLECTOR: I promised I'd be at the Air Canada Center. They've lost nine today. FLAMES FANS: Well, when's your next round? THE DEAD COLLECTOR: Wednesday vs. Anaheim THE FLAMES: I think I'll go for a walk. FLAMES FANS: You're not fooling anyone, you know. Isn't there anything you could do? THE FLAMES: I feel happy. I feel happy. [the Dead Collector glances up and down the street furtively, then silences the Body with his a whack of his club] FLAMES FANS: Ah, thank you very much. THE DEAD COLLECTOR: Not at all. See you on Wednesday. FLAMES FANS: Right.

#13 OilFan
March 27 2011, 02:09PM

@otto

Have you been drinking ? wow

#14 Gange
March 27 2011, 05:38PM
oilers1974 wrote:

you're celebrating a shootout win over an ahl team? well done calgary.

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree.

This isn't one that you walk away with your head held high.

It was a truly embarrassing effort and another like that will spell the end.

#15 OilFan
March 27 2011, 06:03PM

@Gange

A win is a win, even if the Oilers won in that shootout. What was a crappy game turned into a good match up. I would have prefered the Oilers winning and ending the Flames chance. The Oilers may not get that chance by Wednesday grrrrr.

#16 FireOnIce
March 27 2011, 06:16PM

It really is a shame that the Battle of Alberta has become so pathetic. Perhaps one day both teams will shine again and we can beat each other's heads in a much more meaningful fashion.

#17 HakanLoob
March 27 2011, 09:08PM

Hyothetical Question:

Assume you're Vancouver. If Calgary is in 9th on the last game of the season (vs. Vancouver) where a win would put the Flames in the playoff, do you throw the game (by resting players) so that Calgary gets in or do you try like heck to beat them?

#18 backburner
March 28 2011, 07:40AM

@HakanLoob

Even if Vancouver did rest there best players, I'm sure they could still beat Calgary. If the Flames make the playoffs this year it will be because they got lucky; not because they are good enough.

#19 icedawg_42
March 28 2011, 07:55AM

The sad part is - neither side should even trash talk after this! That game was as Pat said - hot garbage. I won beer and coffee off of that game, yet I still feel violated. I feel like refusing my bounty. If anyone still has hope that the Flames will/deserve to make the playoffs this should set you straight. How do you go from playing such smart hockey a few weeks ago, to playing so ...crapola? Im angry about that game. Come on guys - you should be better than that.

#20 todd
March 28 2011, 08:47AM

Guess who has 50 WINS????? NOT THE FLAMES! you guys bash me saying I have no clue what I am talking about, but look who was right AGAIN? Okay I got the score wrong, but really? REALLY CalgarY? YOu BARELY beat the Coilers farm team. IF it wasn't for Jim Vanderspare, you guys would be all crying in your vodka rums.

FLAMES ARE DONE.

#21 OilFan
March 28 2011, 08:57AM

@todd

Todd I'm a Oiler fan and would love for the Flames not make the playoffs. But Vancouver the city that hasn't won yet come on. Do you know what Karma is ? I chirp these same Flames Nation guys since my team was playing them why don't you wait till the next match up ? Or take the time to login in to these sites ? Trolling is ok and sometimes adds a little fun to the conversations you add nothing.Troll on my brother

#22 todd
March 28 2011, 09:14AM

Tigerblood you should spend less time cheering for the Coilers and more time joining VANNATION!

You guys blew a 4-1 lead on home ice to the MOST OVERRATED team in the NHL. Take away the fact you are an Oiler fan and I am a Nucks fan. Let's be hockey fans and analyze this team from Calgary.

Brendan Morrison is there best center. a 35 yearold who couldn't even crack my team's 5th line is their best center?

Their 4th line has two rookies who are at least 3 more seasons away from making the team, if that. The only reason they are playing now is because of injuries.

Their 4th line center gets paid like a second line center.

They are debating on how much to pay Curtis Glencross? Really?

So JOIN THE VANNATION!

#23 Gange
March 28 2011, 09:20AM
todd wrote:

Their 4th line center gets paid like a second line center.

They are debating on how much to pay Curtis Glencross? Really?

So JOIN THE VANNATION!

And this is exactly why I have zero respect for Canucks fans.

At very least I can say Oiler fans understand hockey. Canucks fans can't even boast that.

#24 Greg
March 28 2011, 09:44AM

Thank you Todd for putting a HEx on your team. I am going to save this post and repost it when you guys are out in the first round

#25 Greg
March 28 2011, 09:44AM

#26 Monaertchi
March 28 2011, 09:48AM

@todd

I can't wait for Ro-choke-o Luong-choke to get pulled in the playoffs in favour of Cory Schneider. Just in time for Canuck "fans" to stop caring about hockey again.

#27 Scott
March 28 2011, 09:55AM

Three things I wanted to comment on:

1. That was an excellent Monty Python rewrite by Otto, good to laugh that hard first thing in the morning! Well done.

2. Staios has scored three this year and I think 1 or 2 last year, all of them huge goals... He isn't so clutch defensively, but he sure cranks it up offensively when needed!

3. What is with all the trolls on here as of late. People need to step back from the computer and go out and get some sun.... Well Oilers Trolls can do that, but they don't get sun in Nuck land... Maybe that explains some things....

#28 CitizenFlame
March 29 2011, 12:06AM
todd wrote:

FLAMES ARE DONE.

What the F*** is a "vodka rums"?! Is that what you drink before you come trolling here?

Are you lonely and come here because no one else participates at CanucksArmy? Seriously that site is a ghost town.

#29 bill