Flames Presser - Feaster to be Anointed GM

May 16 2011 12:20PM

Feaster ponders what took so long for him to be officially named the Flames GM

The Flames have a press conference scheduled for this afternoon (2:30). The early assumption was that it would be to announce the Glencross signing. However, Bob McKenzie is saying it's more likely to erase that pesky "acting" tag from Feaster's title.

Assuming that's the case, I find myself...ambivalent at best about the move. Feaster's resume, Stanley Cup ring notwithstanding, is actually fairly pedestrian. The cup winner was mostly built by Dudley  and Feaster's draft record in TBL was extremely poor. He also wrote some things for the Hockey News during his time there that made me guffaw incredulously, including a post where he congratulating himself for not acquiring Tomas Vokoun (because Vokoun wasn't "clutch enough"). No mention of Marc Denis was made in the article, of course.

To be fair, Feaster hasn't hit any icebergs during his time here and the Glencross contract isn't a bad one. His face time with the media is infinitely more palatable than ol' Sly Sutter as well, however much weight you want to put into that.

Perhaps the fairest thing I can do is wait and see how the Flames summer unfolds before offering judgement on Feaster's ascendency. If he re-signs Freddy Modin or something, then I'll start sharpening the knives. The real touchstones will be what he does with Alex Tanguay, Anton Babchuk and Brendan Morrison. If he retain the former for a fair price and walk away from the other two, I'll be impressed. Bonus points for a good draft and trading Kipper if those things happen as well.

We'll see I guess.

#1 Justin Azevedo
May 16 2011, 12:33PM

fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu

#2 Justin Azevedo
May 16 2011, 12:33PM

The "not a complete dick to the media" thing is nice to have, however.

#4 Cody Cleave
May 16 2011, 12:37PM

As soon as the Glencross signing rumors started and seemed pretty set, the Feaster Gm job didn't surprise me. I wouldn't be too surprised if they go after another AGM...Not sure what options there may be out there, but It would be nice getting someone in with good drafting skills/Trade history as Feaster's backround has lacked in those area's.

I just hope this means we hear more on Tanguay getting resigned soon!

#6 Michael
May 16 2011, 12:39PM

The longer the 'acting' title went on, the more I found myself hoping that the Flames were looking elsewhere.... Feaster come's across as a middle of the road 'status quo' guy, which really isn't the direction I was hoping the club would go. Safe, reliable and uninspired...

If they name Feaster today, they really need to look for a quality Asst GM, preferably with 'hockey know how' to balance Feaster's contract / numbers strengths...

Name the right Asst GM, and this announcement might just work.

#7 KingJafi
May 16 2011, 12:40PM

Let me try that one again: $%#$%#&$@$%%$@#%$!! Sheesh...moderated comments. Lots of moderation is going to go on today.

#8 KingJafi
May 16 2011, 12:43PM

...oh yeah, this obviously means K Squared is still heavily involved. AND that ownership is content with missing the playoffs two years in a row in the manner they have.

#10 jr_christ
May 16 2011, 01:01PM

Glencross was definitely a decent return - pretty much on par with Gagner with the Oil (scores 40-50 points per year for $2.25M range).

Only problem is I don't see Tanguay wanting to stay within the Organization for less than $4 million unless he's guaranteed decent termed contract. He came here to resurrect his career after a pathetic showing and he's done that. As a 31 year old he'll want the money as he's at the age now where playing for the "love of the game and a City" take a back seat to "my wife's a #&@^ and wants to live in a warm city and eventually divorce me for half".

As for the new GM, no surprise there. He's the face of the organization now and not a bad face to forget once the team starts to take a bath and rebuild.

Whether a rebuild is right at this stage is another whole thread of comments, however, it'll need to be done within 3 seasons... iggy's getting old.

#11 Cody
May 16 2011, 01:08PM

I wouldn't say Tanguay will need 4million+. Yes he had a fantastic season..But I still think his time in TB puts a dark cloud over his head for some teams. His best years have been with CGY and he knows that...He will take years over dollars. I suspect a 4 year deal as well in the range of 3-3.5 million. And of course a NTC *rolls eyes*

#12 Scott
May 16 2011, 01:14PM

I don't mind overpaying a bit for Tanguay, if you have to. This will keep Iggy going which will makes fans less angry and dissappointed with the upcoming season.

They should remove another overpaid player to make room for Tanguays contract however. Even if Hags and Kotalik are dumped in the KHL, we are still in cap hell. Outside of Gio, one of the big three defensive contracts need to go as well( atleast).

#13 icedawg_42
May 16 2011, 01:15PM
Cody wrote:

I suspect you're close here...

#14 Sanintarious
May 16 2011, 01:20PM

I suspect Feaster will also re-address the status of the Tanguay camp and perhaps other UFA/RFA's.

Some on the official flames site boards are suggesting they could announce Conroy as the AGM...

Not sure how I'd feel about that. Having him as an "Advisory" role seemed fitting, but as an AGM? MMmmm -Cody Cleave- Sanintarious

#15 KingJafi
May 16 2011, 01:26PM
Sanintarious wrote:

Conroy as AGM...the incompetancy and puppet show continues.

#17 the forgotten man
May 16 2011, 01:51PM

As per Azevedo/King Jafi/Domebeers:

Sigh WTF Double Facepalm Are you kidding me? Double down on Stupid Hope & Change

Not really much else to say on today's events. If I get this straight, it means that right now we are looking at the same Club that missed the playoffs for the second straight year, and for the life of them could not ONCE beat Anaheim or Phoenix to lock in a playoff SPOT, will be the same Club for next year - K-squared is blowing my mind!

Is K-squared and Feaster like some sort of hockey's version of the Manchurian Candidate?? Is there some sort of diabolical plan at work by the Ownership Group to both decimate the Flames and browbeat the Fans to the point where we want them to take the team to Winnipeg? Does Murray E. want to live in Hamilton??

As I have said before, as long as K-squared is around the Flames are dead to me.

PS - as per basic human psychology expect less from both Glencross and Tanguay (if he signs here long term)...long term contracts with NMC only promotes complacency a la' Iginla/Bouwmeester et al.

That all said, the world is supposed to end this Saturday, so my points may all be moot.

#18 the forgotten man
May 16 2011, 01:51PM

As per Azevedo/King Jafi/Domebeers:

#19 KingJafi
May 16 2011, 02:26PM

Conroy as AGM is speculation only at this time. Let's save the condemnation until they actually announce it.

Why is Conroy being included in the team's tweet announcement of the pc. I think the speculation is going to become actual.

#21 KingJafi
May 16 2011, 02:42PM

If it does, then expect me to join the chorus of loud boos.

As much as I like Conroy, he is not qualified for an AGM position in anyway. At least not now. Then again, Feaster isn't particularly qualified for a GM position but he has been and is now one again, SOOOOO it goes without saying...Conroy could very well be the next AGM. #epicfail

#22 KingJafi
May 16 2011, 02:51PM

FYI I'm not listening to the pc cause I don't want to break something or hurt someone around me. What I can't hear can't hurt me right? Btw, "Assistant to the GM" is a political way of saying "unqualified AGM."

#23 negrilcowboy
May 16 2011, 03:01PM

congrats to bobby hill for being named gm. connie, come on. he may be a nice guy, but realy agm.

#24 Sworkhard
May 16 2011, 03:22PM

@KingJafi

To say that he's an unqualified AGM is right in many ways, but he doesn't really have the role of an AGM either. Instead, his role is more about talking players into signing or staying with the team. He also assists in evaluating the character of prospects, something he's got a great character for.

#25 KingJafi
May 16 2011, 04:03PM
Sworkhard wrote:

No, you're right. And since I didn't listen to the presser, I probably missed his responsibilities. But, they haven't hired and AGM either (its not like one is required though) and that leads me to believe they want to finagle Conroy as one while leaving it open to the fact he really isn't one. The whole thing operation is becoming too buddy-buddy for me. Its very amateur night and I'm starting to wonder how much direction Daz was taking from K Squared in everything. Sadly, at least Daz had some hockey sense to filter the garbage...what they have now is much scarier.

#26 the forgotten man
May 16 2011, 04:22PM

Alex, I'll take NEPOTISM for $800.

BZZZZ...Calgary Flames.