CUP FINALS, WPG AND TWITTER FAME

Wanye
June 01 2011 03:31PM

Ain't much left to say about the Vancouver Canucks at this point. We have picked them to lose three rounds in a row and have suffered in the Playoff Preductions Project as a result. Still we would rather be dead last in the pool than correctly predict the Canucks will move on to the next round in the playoffs. We stand by our convictions.

Bruins over Canucks. Believe that.

WINNIPEG'S MOST WANTED

Man it is really happening right now in Winnipeg. What a time to be alive. They are celebrating as though the Cup has already been brought back to Portage and Main and why not? The Mayor is literally leading conga lines around town and we can't help but have a soft spot for the Winnipeg/Manitoba WhateverTheHells. Till the puck drops of course then it is lights out.

And you have to love the name controversy going on right now. 71% of the Nation think the team should be called the Jets. Most people in Winnipeg want the team to be callled the Jets. Elton John once wrote a song called Benny and the Jets. So of course Bettman and the NHL don't want the team to be called the Jets.

Judging by the tone of the NHL press conference in Winnipeg they don't want to have anything NHL related in Winnipeg whatsoever. The attitude of NHL brass has been impossibly condescending to the City of Winnipeg throughout this entire process and the sooner they can scuttle back to NYC the better as far as we are concerned.

Misjudging the American Economic Outlook and placing so many NHL teams in Southern secondary markets could be the strategic mismanagement of the last 50 years of NHL history. As teams return to Canada one by one, this will become even more evident and Bettman will be forced to press conference after press conference as team after team comes to Canada.

CLASSIC.

TWITTEROO

According to the survey you fill out when you become a Citzen of the Nation, 29% of our readers are on Twitter up from 17% a year ago. It's a hell of a fun time with no censors and the potential to have a brief shining moment in the spotlight
Jay Onrait on Twitter.

Take the other night when Jay Onrait from TSN tweeted the picture above. We couldn't help but wonder if Onrait was 11 feet tall or if Mr. Cougar Bait was on the smaller side. Luckily any idiot with a Twitter account and a dream can ask anyone anything. And occasionally they might answer:

@WanyeGretz : What are you like 11 feet tall Onrait? #meow

And lo and behold the man answered:

@JayOnrait: @WanyeGretz 6'5"

Only on Twitter can you have this sort of up close and personal encounter with a Canadian Sport Media Institution. If you aren't on Twitter yet get on board. If you are on board follow your ol' pal Wanye ASAP. Then you can tell all your friends and family that you follow someone who once talked directly to Jay Onrait and is basically his best friend.

You're welcome.

HARTIKAINEN SO SEXY

How do you like your Edmonton Oilers? Nude and covered in water? Then you will undoubtedly like this picture of the guy from a Finnish Website. Did we draw flames all over the picture? Yes. Did we illustrate that he is bringing the heat? Yes.

As an aside what is up with Oilers posing in the near nude? Remember the pic a few years back with Moreau, Souray and Cogliano? Now this? Spicy! We think we speak for everyone in Finland and Canada when we say "Maistiaisena ohessa Teemu Hartikaisen kuuma suihkukuva!"

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 Fist
June 01 2011, 03:34PM

Fist !!!!

#2 Dan the Man
June 01 2011, 03:38PM

That would be an excellent towel for wiping up my vomit.

Who gets a picture with Jay Onrait?

#6 Ender
June 01 2011, 03:56PM

@ Wanye

Miehillä ei ole kuumaa. Naisilla on kuuma.

@Wanye

I was going to say that I'd prefer the picture with a guy in a cougar bait shirt, although a guy in a suit in a rough neighborhood might be just as good.

#8 hemsky humper
June 01 2011, 03:57PM

Bettman putting teams in the sun was like throwing shit at a wall to see what sticks. Some worked, some didn't. Tampa/Nashville have a chance. Dallas is OK. Anaheim seems OK, San Jose is great.

Florida and Phoenix are fucked.

I actually kind of understand Bettman's motives but he's a condescending asshole. I hope someone pies him in the face.

#9 Arab
June 01 2011, 04:09PM

When Montreal hosted the Olympics they won the cup the next season, same with Calgary, now Vancouver is in the finals.... Weird

#10 ItsTheBGB
June 01 2011, 04:10PM

I brag to all my friends that Wanye and me have conversations on Twitter! I was able to sit at the cool kids table for lunch now!

#11 michael
June 01 2011, 04:13PM

When will we know when the "Jets" will be added to the Nation. Notice I didn't say "if". I am so stoked to add Winnipeg to the NHL. Just in terms of ticket sales I would say that the "Jets" ticket will be a very hot commidity. Unlike the Thrashers. One year in the east and then its 1979 again.Go Smythe Division. Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary and Minnesota all in one division. Its going to be a war each and every night. The TV networks must be all a tizzy to get the "Jets" first game on thier network. Sportsnet is just going to back up the money truck up to the MTS center. Why is bettman so worried about what NBC thinks? When the CBC HNIC contract expires its going to be a bidding war between TSN, CBC and Sportsnet. The 200 million a year is going to look like tip money when all is said and done. Put aother team in QCity or Southern Ontario and its a lock that the bidding will begin at 100 million a year.NBC is a dinosaur. who watches anything on NBC anymore. Last time I turned them on was when Cheers and Friends were still on. GO Jets GO.

#12 knee deep in it
June 01 2011, 04:13PM

at least it isn't Tambo, Stu, and Stauffer posing nude.

#13 justDOit
June 01 2011, 04:17PM

After their initial couple of games, Boston had an easy time with the Habs. Philly was too banged up to put up much fight, and while they went to game 7 with TB, it didn't seem like a grueling series. Downie and Malone were the only really physical players for TB.

Van was beat up pretty bad by SJ, and come in to the finals nursing some injuries. I don't think that Ballard or that other dman who came in as replacement stand much of a chance against the Bruins.

Depth will tell. Look for Lucic to put a hurt on Torres to start. Can't wait!

Bruins in 6 (but I want to say 5...).

GO BAAAAAAAAAAHRUINS!

#14 Jay Gray
June 01 2011, 04:22PM
knee deep in it wrote:

at least it isn't Tambo, Stu, and Stauffer posing nude.

Can't..get...mental picture....out of MY MIND! ugh...I wonder if Stauffer's gigantic hands match the downstairs junk? Just wonderin'. Did I just write that in a public forum? *Sigh's* What did my mother raise?

#15 justDOit
June 01 2011, 04:24PM

As for the NHL in Winnipeg, I'm glad it's back. But with the smallest population, smallest corporate presence, and smallest arena, I'm afraid that it'll only be a matter of time until the honeymoon is over for the NHL in southern Manitoba. I can't see that city sustaining the 3rd highest ticket prices in the league.

I hope I'm wrong, but it could turn out that this move did nothing else than stave off contraction for a few years.

#16 Ales Hallsky
June 01 2011, 04:24PM
knee deep in it wrote:

at least it isn't Tambo, Stu, and Stauffer posing nude.

They dont call him "The Magnificent Bastard" because of his draft record. Even Laraque was impressed....

#17 Chris.
June 01 2011, 04:40PM

Canucks... C-schmucks!

Did everyone see that Carmen Electra is comming to the River Cree to star in an 18+ Burlesque Revue?

Booooooooooooooonnnnneeeeeerrrr!

#18 Puritania
June 01 2011, 04:45PM

Vancouver can eat my bag.

So disappointed in the way the post-season has unfolded this year.

#sadpanda

#19 todd
June 01 2011, 04:50PM

Van in 5. We are faster, stronger, and have more offense. HELLO? This series will end quicker than Tim Erixon's career as a Flame.

#20 Crooked
June 01 2011, 04:57PM

Don't care who wins the cup, just glad Winnipeg got an NHL franchise. Time for you guys to fire up the MooseJet Nation!

#21 oilfan in yyc
June 01 2011, 04:57PM

You people aren't considering the fun there'll be in reminding Flamer fans that the Canucks have as many cups as they do!

#22 Ales Hallsky
June 01 2011, 05:02PM
oilfan in yyc wrote:

AND!!!! That together, all the other teams in western Canada including the Jets, dont have half as many as the OIL. Thank you.

#25 justDOit
June 01 2011, 05:51PM
oilfan in yyc wrote:

Well, I'm not one to live in the past - what's done is done and will never be again.

That said, I do love to point out to my cousin how the Flames are like a tea bag - only good for one cup!

Let the Boston Tea Party begin!

#26 justDOit
June 01 2011, 05:53PM
todd wrote:

Faster - ok, I'll give you that. Stronger? Hmmmm. I guess I haven't had any west coast bud lately...

I can't remember speed being the determining factor in any recent playoffs. Defence, depth and goaltending.

I'm just glad that you didn't point out the special teams records.

#27 Archaeologuy
June 01 2011, 05:55PM
Wanye wrote:

We have a glorious time on Twitter. I have to take specific breaks from it because it consumes my life. I have been told I am difficult to talk to when I am running it.

True story, the last thing I needed was another reason to have my face buried in the iPad. Now i get the condescending "what are you doing? Tweeting about how youre neglecting your family again?" from the wife.

#28 Travis Dakin
June 01 2011, 06:43PM
ItsTheBGB wrote:

This happens a lot. I had a glorious time partying with the Legend and I have since used that fact to gain an incredible amount of street cred with my friends and extra bed time with my wife. I'm like the people that got to hang with the Polkaroo.*

*Anyone born after the first Oilers cup win can just make up their own obscure reference and pretend that I said it and it was funny.

#29 jsoh
June 01 2011, 07:05PM

I sincerely hope that on the great day the Oilers return to the playoffs Wanye predicts them to lose in 4 so that they can go to the final.

#30 DSF
June 01 2011, 07:19PM
jsoh wrote:

He'll be dead.

#31 Chris.
June 01 2011, 07:26PM

I hate the Canucks.

If there truly are Hockey Gods they won't allow this group of rappers, biters, and glove-on fighters to dirty Lord Stanley's Grail.

#32 Chappy
June 01 2011, 07:49PM
justDOit wrote:

Actually, Ottawa will still have the smallest corporate presence.

#33 CanaDave
June 01 2011, 07:50PM

I keep getting the feeling like the Canucks are coached by pre-reformed Gordon Bombay.

"Take the fall! Act Hurt! Get Indignant!"

Vancouver already has me convinced they know they can't beat Boston 5 on 5. Of course, I felt them same way about them versus San Jose...

#34 russ99
June 01 2011, 08:38PM

Did the 70's Bruins and Flyers step into a time warp and put on the current players'jerseys tonight?

#35 Shaun Doe
June 01 2011, 09:00PM

You gotta be kidding me. I watched the whole game to see Boston lose with 19sec... Why couldn't that have been one of those iffy off-sides they call ALL the time?

#36 Mantastic
June 01 2011, 09:40PM

@todd

stronger? lol

#37 David S
June 01 2011, 10:01PM

Awesome Boston fan rant > http://youtu.be/Pxu2-Ts4AWM

#38 David S
June 01 2011, 10:01PM

Well this is awkward.

#39 OILERSORDEATH
June 01 2011, 10:08PM
Chris. wrote:

I hate the Canucks.

You got that right brutha!! The Cup will now Rust with those undeserving a$$holes names desecrated on it. the cups as good as ruined

#40 jono
June 01 2011, 10:29PM
justDOit wrote:

Let the Boston Tea Party begin!

My personal favorite it "Ok, lets go for beers. I'll have one for every Oiler cup and you can have one for every Flames cup and then you can drive me home."

#41 Max Powers - Team HME Evans
June 01 2011, 11:04PM

Predicting the Nucks again Wanye? Why don't you just wrap the Stanley up and give it to Kesler yourself? Then you can enjoy it with Burrows too. Bastard. Take one for the team and predict the Nucks.

If they win it will be because of you Wanye.

If you weren't best friends with Jay Onraight I'd be calling for your head.

#42 Al
June 02 2011, 03:32PM

Calgary fans can whine all they want. At the end of the day, they're terrified.

#43 Dodgebreath
June 02 2011, 05:01PM
justDOit wrote:

To ALL in the Nation, it pains me to reveal that even tho I r an Oil fan all the way back to the Gardens and the WHA, I BOUGHT Winnipeg Thrash/Jet/Moose/Falcons tix today. Fact is Winnipeg has more Corparate head offices than Edmonton or Ottawa. Theres tons of disposable income in this city. Read some press instead of blabbering speculation. I plan on attending every game all year while wearing a steady rotation of my Fuhr,Ranford,Joeseph and Semenko jersey's P.S. Sammy is from Wpg, I kno his family

#44 Ari Gold
June 03 2011, 12:04PM

Exactly how I feel about the Canucks. Bs in 7th game in OT!

#45 Rob Farmer
June 03 2011, 07:10PM

So glad that you arent' talking about MMA (unlike Gregor, who is obsessed with half naked men touching each other) *w*

love ya Gregor!