Erixon Discussion Thread

June 01 2011 07:51AM

While much of the hockey world is enthralled with Winnipeg and the Stanely Cup finals, Flames fans will be glued to twitter and the radio awaiting the suddenly not-at-all guaranteed signing of #1 prospect Tim Erixon. As of the time of this article, Feaster has just 7.5 hours to ink Erixon. If that does happen, the 20-year old will re-enter the draft where he'll no doubt be snapped up in short order.

It goes without saying that the Flames can't really afford to lose one of their best prospects for nothing. Even though the back-end is a relative area of strength for this org, the truth is Calgary's defense depth takes get pretty shallow after the top-end of Erixon and Brodie. Matt Pelech and John Negrin have struggled as pros for various reasons, Keith Seabrook probably has an AHL ceiling and Jay Leach is a relative unknown commodity. Truth is, as things currently stand, Chris Breen might be the best defense prospect after the obvious top-two of Brodie and Erixon. Chris Breen.

All that said, Feaster et al have until the end of the day today to get something done. Analysis and updates will be added here as things happen.

#201 Palt
June 01 2011, 02:18PM

All I can say is if the kid didnt wanna come here, I'm glad they traded him and at least got something for him. I wonder if this was more of his family making the decision, maybe saying that it'd be good if he went somewhere where his dad has knowledge of the city?

#202 the-wolf
June 01 2011, 02:18PM

Listening to Lombardias and Kerr spin this no the Fan makes me want to puke. A little journalistic integrity guys. Just a bit. Please.

#203 the-wolf
June 01 2011, 02:19PM

Yes, but why wait untl 1 hour before the deadline?

#204 Scott
June 01 2011, 02:19PM

I would have gladly just taken at #15 pick, then a prospect and 2 second rounders.

Can we trade all three back to NY for their 1st?

Just noticed he was picked in the 5th round. SO a 1st rounder for a 5th rounder, seems solid to me.

#205 joey joe joe jr shabadoo
June 01 2011, 02:20PM

only thing to say here is;

"wait and see"

we won't know how this turns out for the flames for at least two years......unfortunately.

#206 joey joe joe jr shabadoo
June 01 2011, 02:21PM

@Scott yeah, I'm sure Jay Feaster would've gladly taken that to. Obviously NY wasn't going to give us that.

#207 the-wolf
June 01 2011, 02:23PM

Yup, Kerr is spinning the rational vs. emotional response card.

If you disagree with the Flames you're irrational!

3 guys on there completely avoiding the question of why this wasn't done a month ago!

#208 Jano
June 01 2011, 02:24PM

@joey joe joe jr shabadoo

The fact that we're going to have to wait two years makes this a fail in a large way. Erixon was ready for this year.

This better not be a sign of things to come with Feaster.

#209 Scott
June 01 2011, 02:24PM

@joey joe joe jr shabadoo

Sigh... I'm at a loss for words. This will be a huge negative for the entire organization, save for Brodie who is now guarenteed to be playing for the flames next year.

#210 dave
June 01 2011, 02:25PM

Rob Kerr has an unbelievable ability to make me want to throw things

#211 Justin Azevedo
June 01 2011, 02:26PM

A Decade. 10 years of futility. We're already 2 in.

#212 Graham
June 01 2011, 02:28PM
Palt wrote:

Considering the situation the Flames were in, I'm happy.

Decent management wouldn't have put us in this situation to start with...

Something is better than nothing, but no way can you trade Erixon for two seconds and a throw in and call it a win. Absolute bloody disaster!

#213 Jano
June 01 2011, 02:33PM

Is this Feaster's way of making sure that there's no trace of possitives from Dutter's time at the top? One of the few good draft picks Dutter makes gets traded away for what is basically nothing that will be of use to us for at least a couple of years.

#214 the-wolf
June 01 2011, 02:33PM

"Scouting Report:

Pros: Silky, explosive skater can generate plenty of speed in a couple of steps. Possesses considerable one-on-one ability, toying with opponents at times in Czech junior with amazing dekes. Exudes confidence in the offensive zone and can create his own time and space.

Cons: Failed to perform when facing tighter defenses; at the U18s, he had just three points. Can be a world-class puck hog. Often hangs at the edge of the action in the defensive zone; at times, would be literally two steps from a puck-carrier and refused to engage.

Comparison: Pavol Demitra"

edit: Highly doubtful of that last part.

#215 FlamesFan11
June 01 2011, 02:36PM

well, hows that jokenin trade looking for us now? we had the option of keeping the 09 or 10 draft pick, we all know how that turned out. picked erixon at 23 in 09, phoenix picked brandon gormley, a top flite d prospect at 13 in 10, who knew one player (jokenin) could screw a team up in soo many ways?

#216 StrongStout
June 01 2011, 02:37PM

To all you Flames fans (from a NYR fan),

You're acting as if Erixon was going to make your team into a Cup contender, come on now. Now I love Western Canada, absolutely LOVE it, so I'm not trying to tear you guys apart here...

But let's be realistic, your pool of prospects is depleted, and acquiring two second rounders plus a center with has offensive potential is not such a bad thing!

If it makes you feel any better, coming from the NYR side, I don't think this is much of a steal...

#217 joey joe joe jr shabadoo
June 01 2011, 02:37PM
Jano wrote:

This better not be a sign of things to come with Feaster.

well, I'm not so sure.

I remember B Sutter saying in the media recently he thought both Brodie and Erixon were 1-2 years away, stating they both needed to get stronger.

maybe that's why Erixon didn't want to sign. He probably feels he's ready now, and wasn't prepared to come over to North America to spend time in the AHL.

Rightly or wrongly, the Flames appear to want to mold themselves in the NJ Devils fashion. meaning everyone spends at least one year in the A. they call it "Lou-U".

#218 icedawg_42
June 01 2011, 02:49PM

Lovin the stunned (and seething) silence. *sigh*

#219 Palt
June 01 2011, 02:53PM

I can't wait to hear Feaster's explanation, even though itll probably sound like somebody snacking on pretzels.

#220 J
June 01 2011, 02:58PM
Palt wrote:

I dont know what that means but it was funny as hell.

#221 icedawg_42
June 01 2011, 03:02PM

the Fan960 should lead everything with "dont shoot me I'm just the messenger" today.

#222 dave
June 01 2011, 03:11PM

Heres a question for everyone here on FN.

"Would you rather have Tim Erixon signed to an ELC with the Flames, but the Canucks win the cup?

OR

"Would rather have Tim Erixon on the NYR, but have the Canucks lose to the Bruins"?

Honestly, I think I'd rather have Erixon back.

#223 Scott
June 01 2011, 03:20PM

@dave

Haha,

Thanks for distracting me from this fiasco, by reminding me how much I hate the canucks.

My thoughts: GO BRUINS!

#224 Jarom
June 01 2011, 03:47PM

We don't know to what extent the management has gone to sign Erixon. I'll wait till I hear what Feaster has to say before condeming them on that one.

As for Erixon, he may have well just slapped the Flames and the fans right in the mouth. Every Flames fan was excited to see him succeed and develop. Screw you Erixon!

There are serious questions to ask however. Are we really that bad that players are refusing to sign now or is this an isolated incident?