The Feaster Files

Pat Steinberg
June 20 2011 03:09PM

Jay Feaster addressed the media on Monday afternoon with a number of interesting tidbits coming from his conversation.  The first announcement was the contract extension of goaltender Henrik Karlsson, which is covered below, but Feaster also added new information regarding Alex Tanguay, Brendan Mikkelson and what the team is thinking heading into a very important two week period.

Podcast Powered By Podbean

The Karlsson signing is an interesting one.  To be honest, I don't dislike it the same way Robert did on Twitter; I think it shows the confidence the Flames have in Karlsson going forward.  I saw a ton of progression from the guy in his first season in North America, and if that progression continues, I think this signing might end up being a good one.  If it doesn't, it's not the most difficult contract to send to the minors.

The biggest news item came regarding Alex Tanguay, as Feaster's quote was "we're not where we need to be" in negotiations with the pending unrestrcited free agent.  When asked what the sticking point was, Feaster was very blunt in his response, retorting "it's money," and leaving it at that.  It leads me to believe that the current issue is not the length of a contract but moreso the annual salary, and it sounds a whole lot less optimistic than the last time we heard from the Flames GM.  It also seems like a bit of a departure from the reports last week that the deal was close to being done, so we shall wait and see.  I'd still be very surprised if Tanguay isn't back next season, even with Feaster's comments today.

Feaster revealed qualifying offers have been tendered to two pending restricted free agents in goalie Leland Irving and defenceman Brendan Mikkelson.  The Irving one makes sense, he's earned another contract, and he'll likely accept that offer.  I do wonder whether the QO tendered to Mikkelson gives us any indication as to the status of Adam Pardy's future with the team, but that's just speculation.

The Flames still have five pending RFA's to deal with, if they so choose.  Forwards John Armstrong and Hugo Carpentier along with defenders Matt Pelech, Josh Meyers and Gord Baldwin are all without offers at this point.  It doesn't mean offers cannot still be tendered, as that's still a possibility for all five, but as I laid out last week, I only expect a select few to actually fall into that category.

Finally, the most refreshing piece of news came in the form of Feaster's comments about buying out players.  He was very adamant that buyouts are not something he wants to be getting into, which is the right way to go about things, plain and simple.  There's no need to waste money next year buying out guys like Cory Sarich and Niklas Hagman when it's much more prudent to just be patient and ride out their contracts.

1cd23297a0d13720ec2fc6d9740ce395
Pat Steinberg can be heard daily on the Fan960 in Calgary at can be read at the FAN 960. Born and raised in Calgary, Steinberg considers himself a huge fan of all sports including the CFL, MMA and 13 round bare knuckle boxing matches. Follow Steinberg on Twitter at www.twitter.com/Fan960Steinberg.
#51 Derzie
June 21 2011, 12:41PM

The Tanguay thing confuses me. He obviously is not realizing that he is better than he normally would be just by playing with Jarome (and Brendan to a lesser extent). He's a great player but we've seen what happens when he is not on a line with top notch players. He was considering retiring for crying out loud. He needs to be more realistic about how much of his output is Jarome.

#52 Austin
June 21 2011, 01:50PM

@Derzie

I agree, he needs to remember that he only plays his best on the top lines with good scorers (Iginla, Sakic).

#53 icedawg_42
June 21 2011, 03:07PM

I agree with Austin and Derzie - Tanguay "says" its about the hockey...so he should KNOW beyond the shadow of a doubt this is probably his best on-ice option...but I suppose it's fully within his rights to sell his services to the highest bidder. ..maybe he just wants to see what's out there. Nothing saying he cant check out free agency and come back to the Flames anyway.

#54 FireOnIce
June 21 2011, 08:18PM

In all likelihood, Tanguay probably wants what Matt Stajan has and more.

Tanguay's agent is probably telling Feaster, "Hey, Alex had 38 more points than Matt, 16 more goals, and wasn't a total bucket of crap. Matt makes $4.5M for the next 2 seasons, then $2.5M the 2 after that - we want $4.5 for the same 4 years"

If I were Feaster, 2 years @ $4.5M MAX. Anything more, tell them to take a hike, bring back Morrison (provided his knee has been replaced with a robotic one), give Backlund more minutes, and tank the season. We're not winning the cup in 11-12, no need to overpay and overextend the stays of some players.

#55 icedawg_42
June 22 2011, 08:12AM

@FireOnIce

I think you're right on the money with ~4.5 for 2 - more term should equal less cap hit in this situation IMO. I think that Morrison could probably be had on the cheap again, given his age and injury situation. I wouldnt be surprised to see him back for one more year.