Robyn Regehr Traded - For Real This Time

June 24 2011 10:02PM

According to Darren Dreger, Robyn Reger has agreed to waive his NTC to go to Buffalo. Rumor is, Ales Kotalik is also part of the package which is something that cropped up our talks during FlamesNation radio on Thursday.

No word on the return yet, but getting rid of Kotalik's contract makes the Regehr trade a lot more palatable. Depending on what the Flames get back, it could save the club a whole bunch of cap space and open a lot more options for them come July 1.

Of course, on the other hand, you have the departure of one the cornerstones of this franchise over the past decade and a guy who remains one of it's best defenders. This post is not the venue for a true obituary for Regehr's career in Calgary, but there's no doubt the big guy will be missed a great deal by Flames fans, no matter how well the trade may or may not end up for the team.

We'll update as detail trickle in.

#101 Justin Azevedo
June 25 2011, 12:01AM

Sigh. Hopefully this improves during the evening.

#102 Robert Cleave
June 25 2011, 12:05AM
PrairieStew wrote:

Doesn't the fact that KOtalik ended the year in Abby - he cleared waivers twice mean he's not actually counting against the cap right now ? CapGeek is showing him as a non roster player - so what's the rush to dump him ? It would be a shame to water that deal down to be rid of him.

All one way deals count after July 1st. Kotalik might have been exiled to Europe in the fall, but for the summer, he would have counted, and the Flames might have been getting too close to their allowed 10% summer overage of the cap for their comfort.

Plus, he's off the team's payroll altogether this way, as opposed to being paid to play overseas or in Abbotsford. The cap hit might not be on the books if they went that route, but Murray Edwards would still have to cover that paycheque, and as I do try to remember, it's his dough, not mine.

#103 Jimirude
June 25 2011, 12:13AM

I don't know, I guess I'm in the minority but I really have no problem with this move. This gives feaster way more flexibility going into free agency. Period.

I think regehr is a fantastic shutdown d-man in this league but it's not as if you're trading him as a guy with a ton of potential ahead of him. He'll be a good, steady defender for buffalo for another 3-4 seasons. He's not gonna go out and win a Norris. Bottom line: The flames need to get serious about getting rid of bad contracts...

For me, Kotalik, thrown into this deal is the reason the return is somewhat lean. This guy costs a lot of money for a guy who's barely noticeable at the AHL level. If the deal was Regehr and only Regehr going the other way I actually think Feaster could have gotten a better return. But that's not why the Flames mad this move. Sure, throw in a package of Robyn Regehr and a pick for a guy like Connely or Roy or whomever may have been bandied about in trade rumors but at the end of the day it's money 'out' for money 'in.' Sure, those guys make you better 'now' but putting too much emphasis on 'now' is what got you into the mess you're in right now!

Isn't this the same fan base that cried so loudly for a difference in direction from the previous regime in Darryl Sutter? Aren't we the same fans whose mantra was the Einstein quote "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." You wanted a rebuild. They're giving you rennovatins

#104 Justin Azevedo
June 25 2011, 12:16AM
Jimirude wrote:

That's the thing-they're half assing it and they aren't getting value for the asset. That's why I'm angry.

#105 FlameFever
June 25 2011, 12:17AM

Buffalo doesn't even have a 2nd round pick...???

#106 schevvy
June 25 2011, 12:21AM

I believe Regher will be traded to Buffalo tomorrow, and that it's impossible to prevent the trade from happening all together because Regher has already waved his NTC. I am hoping and praying this deal gets better though. At the start of this rumor I thought for this deal to be a success we had to get one of the Tyler's; Ennis or Myers. I stand by that belief

#107 Jimirude
June 25 2011, 12:22AM
Justin Azevedo wrote:

I get the anger. I do. It would be way more fun to be talking about a great new player or players coming our way to, perhaps, augment the loss of Reggie. I'm just saying I think you might be looking at it the wrong way as now the flames can add a player or players through free agency to accomplish the exact same end.

I'd say wait and see. The flames aren't done.

June 25 2011, 12:26AM

@Jimi: I don't think it's accurate to say that a guy who put up a point per game in the AHL was 'barely noticeable'. He's well overpaid (by about 1.5-2 million/year in my estimation), but Kotalik isn't the complete trainwreck that people make him out to be. I do think he might be dropping the value the Flames get out of the deal, though, and if the return is what has been reported, I will not be particularly happy with it.

#109 RKD
June 25 2011, 12:28AM

Byron is a 22 year old center, his point totals have been good over the past few years: 33, 99, 68, 44 and 43. Hopefully he can be more consistent. Chris Butler is 24 year old defenceman, 6'3 and 200 pounds.

They aren't Luke Adam, Kassian, or Myers or whoever but at least they have some potential and youth.

Feaster wants to get more younger, skilled players.

#110 RossCreekNation
June 25 2011, 12:28AM

If this deal goes through, worst case scenario, this is how we look heading into free agency...

FORWARDS
Matthew Stajan ($3.500m) / Daymond Langkow ($4.500m) / Jarome Iginla ($7.000m)
Curtis Glencross ($2.550m) / Olli Jokinen ($3.000m) / Rene Bourque ($3.333m)
Niklas Hagman ($3.000m) / Mikael Backlund ($1.270m) / David Moss ($1.300m)
Lance Bouma ($0.693m) / Tom Kostopoulos ($0.916m) / Tim Jackman ($0.550m)
Raitis Ivanans ($0.600m) / Paul Byron ($0.555m) / Stefan Meyer ($0.512m)

DEFENSEMEN
Jay Bouwmeester ($6.680m) / Mark Giordano ($4.020m)
T.J. Brodie ($0.741m) / Cory Sarich ($3.600m)
Chris Butler ($0.935m) / Brett Carson ($0.575m)
/ Brendan Mikkelson ($0.750m)

GOALTENDERS
Miikka Kiprusoff ($5.833m) / Henrik Karlsson ($0.862m)

BUYOUTS: Nigel Dawes ($0.141m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,420,832; BONUSES: $730,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $6,879,168

... so there's some room to play.

#111 schevvy
June 25 2011, 12:28AM

@Jimirude

I see what you mean, but there isn't really any shut down defenders available in free agency I believe (not sure, but I think so) unless the Preds and Weber don't get a deal done through arbitration, and e en then I doubt he'd sign here.

#112 Jimirude
June 25 2011, 12:36AM

@SmellOfVictory

At the end of the day the fact is that Kotalik's contract was a lead weight around this franchise's neck. I don't think that can really be debated. Hell, how many opportunities have other teams had to take this guy going through waivers? Getting rid of that contract is a good move in my opinion.

Now, as I stated before, I get the anger about the return for Regehr. The guys a beauty. Great for the flames. Great for the city. But now his money is elsewhere and the chance is there to re-place/offset the loss via free agency.

#113 Jimirude
June 25 2011, 12:43AM

@schevvy

Does it have to be a shutdown d-man? What if we pick up some more offense to augment the loss in a different direction. The best defense is always simply spending more time in the offensive zone, anyways.

#114 Captain Ron
June 25 2011, 01:06AM

Easy now people. The negative vibe here is unbelievable. I also really hope the deal is better than reported BUT before I react to it I'll wait until the official announcement is made. Not like McKenzie hasn't made mistakes in the past. Just ask the Burns family. As a player Reggie has his shortcomings and I think we sometimes overvalue him. Compared to similar players in the league we also overpay him. The fact is we haven't won anything with him in the lineup so maybe its time to move on while there is still interest in his services. Taking Kotalik off our hands is most likely going to have a significant impact on the immediate return but I'm hoping for the best. Reggie was my celebrity golf partner in the Flames tournament 3 years ago. I spent the day riding around with him and can tell you he was a first class act and very well liked. His drives with a 3 wood are pretty impressive too. I can also report that he HATED Mike Keenan. Something he muttered about the worst coach he ever had. As a fan I really liked him and hope he finds the magic again with Leopold. Wish you all the best Reggie you'll be missed. The Sabres are getting a real leader in Regehr. Dumping Kotalik's salary is a huge bonus in this deal.

#115 Guest
June 25 2011, 04:12AM

@kent, when do you believe this trade will be finalized by? I really would be angry if that return is what the Flames get back. The only way I will be legitimately satisfied with the trade is if we get one of ennis/kassian/myers/first rounder or even luke adam. The proposed trade would greatly anger me and flamesnation alike. Rebellion anyone?

#116 RossCreekNation
June 25 2011, 08:00AM

There is ZERO chance that Tyler Ennis or Tyler Myers are involved. ZERO. Not likely Kassian either. But I was really hoping Luke Adam and/or a 1st would be involved. Thing is, Kotalik severely brings Regehr's trade value down.

Think of it as a math problem:
Regehr + Kotalik = x

Or:
7+(-3)=4

#117 warren
June 25 2011, 10:50AM

Wow this is even a worse return than we got for Dion, I didn't think that was possible. Worst Trade I have ever seen in the past 10 year's for the flame's.