Robyn Regehr Traded - For Real This Time

June 24 2011 10:02PM

According to Darren Dreger, Robyn Reger has agreed to waive his NTC to go to Buffalo. Rumor is, Ales Kotalik is also part of the package which is something that cropped up our talks during FlamesNation radio on Thursday.

No word on the return yet, but getting rid of Kotalik's contract makes the Regehr trade a lot more palatable. Depending on what the Flames get back, it could save the club a whole bunch of cap space and open a lot more options for them come July 1.

Of course, on the other hand, you have the departure of one the cornerstones of this franchise over the past decade and a guy who remains one of it's best defenders. This post is not the venue for a true obituary for Regehr's career in Calgary, but there's no doubt the big guy will be missed a great deal by Flames fans, no matter how well the trade may or may not end up for the team.

We'll update as detail trickle in.

#1 Jimirude
June 25 2011, 12:13AM

I don't know, I guess I'm in the minority but I really have no problem with this move. This gives feaster way more flexibility going into free agency. Period.

I think regehr is a fantastic shutdown d-man in this league but it's not as if you're trading him as a guy with a ton of potential ahead of him. He'll be a good, steady defender for buffalo for another 3-4 seasons. He's not gonna go out and win a Norris. Bottom line: The flames need to get serious about getting rid of bad contracts...

For me, Kotalik, thrown into this deal is the reason the return is somewhat lean. This guy costs a lot of money for a guy who's barely noticeable at the AHL level. If the deal was Regehr and only Regehr going the other way I actually think Feaster could have gotten a better return. But that's not why the Flames mad this move. Sure, throw in a package of Robyn Regehr and a pick for a guy like Connely or Roy or whomever may have been bandied about in trade rumors but at the end of the day it's money 'out' for money 'in.' Sure, those guys make you better 'now' but putting too much emphasis on 'now' is what got you into the mess you're in right now!

Isn't this the same fan base that cried so loudly for a difference in direction from the previous regime in Darryl Sutter? Aren't we the same fans whose mantra was the Einstein quote "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." You wanted a rebuild. They're giving you rennovatins

#2 PDumes
June 24 2011, 10:06PM

Eklund le sigh

Has Reggie/Kotalik for Paul Byron, Chris Butler and a second rounder.

#3 Middleborn
June 24 2011, 10:06PM

Very sad day. I'm a bit in shock. Very curious to know what the return is.

#4 jgl
June 24 2011, 10:07PM

After seeing the return Minny got for Burns and the fact that Campbell could be traded for anything at all (considering his contract), I am curious if Reggies value could have got higher?

#5 Justin Azevedo
June 24 2011, 10:09PM
PDumes wrote:

Eklund le sigh

Has Reggie/Kotalik for Paul Byron, Chris Butler and a second rounder.

So, you still happy with that? Because you seemed to be in the other thread.

#6 tommy_Gunn
June 24 2011, 10:09PM

Saw this on Dregers report when it first came out.

Very happy to see Kotalik's contract gone, but will miss Robin as well. He will be a great fit in buffalo.

This from Dreger as well:

Sabres owner Terry Pegula very influential in Regehr's decision to waive and accept move to Buffalo.

Also Dreger reporting now that Ryan Smith deal might not be done.

#7 Dano0049
June 24 2011, 10:11PM

Armia, Weber and a Second would be a SWEET trade for Calgary. Want to know what the Flames get in return. Although I'll miss Regehr. I feel horrible for him. Wish him all the best.

#8 Dano0049
June 24 2011, 10:11PM

#9 Vintage Flame
June 24 2011, 10:11PM
PDumes wrote:

Eklund le sigh

Has Reggie/Kotalik for Paul Byron, Chris Butler and a second rounder.

Are you actually Eklund hanging out here?? You keep sourcing Eklund and we keep telling you who cares?

#10 PDumes
June 24 2011, 10:11PM

@Justin Azevedo

It was removed from the site. So no word on the return.

I was mostly caught up in my infatuation that Kotalik is gone.

#11 Justin Azevedo
June 24 2011, 10:12PM

BUTLER IS AN RFA. THIS TEAM IS A DISGRACE.

#12 icedawg_42
June 24 2011, 10:12PM

yeah, mixed feelings. Gonna miss Reggie patrolling the blueline - Ales Hemsky is cracking champagne right now. Eklund is a chump..we dont care what he says.

#13 macman
June 24 2011, 10:12PM

Hey Pat , Anything yet to confirm who is comming Flames way? If Kodalic and Regher are gone how much cap space is freed up assuming nothing comes back?

#15 Justin Azevedo
June 24 2011, 10:15PM

Yeah, nothing firm on the return yet so no need to get too upset or happy.

TOO LATE.

#16 icedawg_42
June 24 2011, 10:18PM

Buffalo doesnt even have a second rounder...allow me to reiterate, Eklund is a chump..take what he says and toss it out. http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=566673

#17 maggotbrain
June 24 2011, 10:19PM

I honestly think the flames would have been better off eating kotaliks contract in the minors and getting a real return from buffalo. Because I'll bet you it's not going to be a great return if they're taking on salary

#19 icedawg_42
June 24 2011, 10:20PM

Is Kassian really that much better than Adam...what about a first rounder next year?

#20 jgl
June 24 2011, 10:21PM

By the way, I don't even think that Buffalo has a second rounder this year. I was traded in the Boyes deal

#21 Emir
June 24 2011, 10:21PM

I'd be surprised if the Flames didn't at least get a prospect of some importance since they lost out on the first rounder today. Although adding in Kots might be the added sweetener rather improving the package coming back.

Haha added sweetner? More like steaming garbage lol. But lets see the return I hope it has luke adam

#22 Colin
June 24 2011, 10:22PM
icedawg_42 wrote:

Who says it has to be this years second rounder? Could be a 2012 second rounder as well, which if that draft is A LOT deeper than this one may not be a bad thing.

#23 John Deere Green
June 24 2011, 10:24PM

@Kent, Unless we sign someone of circumstance, who the hell is going to play defence against other teams first line players? I have mixed feelings on this, Regher is getting older and would likely lose value here on out, but should we not have someone to take his important position in case he is traded. like now perhaps?

#24 Sincity1976
June 24 2011, 10:25PM

Rumors of Ennis. Nothing credible. That would be a good start. All over twitter.

#25 Timo Seppa
June 24 2011, 10:26PM

@icedawg_42

As I said to Kent tonight, the operative word for Adam isn't slow, it's "lumbering". Kassian looked promising in the preseason. Tough guy who can play.

#26 big al
June 24 2011, 10:26PM

reggie was to slow, missed the playoffs 2 years with him. didnt win a round with him since 2004. what was the return?

#27 Justin Azevedo
June 24 2011, 10:27PM

@John Deere Green

Gio and JBo. No one can "take his place". That player just doesn't exist on the Farm or UFA pool right now.

#28 Timo Seppa
June 24 2011, 10:27PM

You guys should be happy to get rid of Regehr's contract.

#29 icedawg_42
June 24 2011, 10:28PM
Timo Seppa wrote:

Ugh - so you're saying a model Darryl Sutter trade!

#30 Vintage Flame
June 24 2011, 10:28PM

Wouldn't be surprised if Calgary got Armia in the deal, since it was their pick to get in the original trade.

I also think they might have taken a 1st rounder for next year. Not bad.

Really going to miss Reggie. The guy is 100% class and he served this team like the consummate warrior. Good luck Reggie.. You'll ALWAYS be a Flame to me!

#31 Justin Azevedo
June 24 2011, 10:29PM

We're not getting Ennis.

#32 Justin Azevedo
June 24 2011, 10:30PM
Timo Seppa wrote:

You guys should be happy to get rid of Regehr's contract.

Timo-no. That contract was a value contract relative to Regehr's play and underlying numbers.

#33 B.D.G.
June 24 2011, 10:32PM

just another old bum ( fall off ) to get rid off. flames seriously need to rebuild and stop holding a shelther for old bums..... and squid goofs lol

#34 Justin Azevedo
June 24 2011, 10:32PM
Timo Seppa wrote:

You guys should be happy to get rid of Regehr's contract.

Also, if we were looking to clear cap space, I'd rather the billionaires that own the team eat 3 million dollars in the AHL then trade one of the best defenseman.

#35 John Deere Green
June 24 2011, 10:33PM

@ Justin Ok, I can see that. Now, who takes Gio's minutes. What I mean is, who play's the powerplay? Brodie? I just wish Booooomeester's contract was $4-4.5 million. With that contract he has now, he should be playing 30 minutes a game (as he is doing) and putting up 50-60 points.

#36 icedawg_42
June 24 2011, 10:34PM

The Flames are officially thin on the back end - critically so..some young guys have to step up..but I think they'll need to go to the UFA market to find a 3/4 guy

#37 Justin Azevedo
June 24 2011, 10:34PM
John Deere Green wrote:

There's no one!!! That's what I'm saying-there isn't a contingency plan here at all.

#38 icedawg_42
June 24 2011, 10:35PM

@Justin Azevedo

Bingo. That will be an interesting story line to watch over UFA season.

#39 icedawg_42
June 24 2011, 10:37PM

Feaster on Reg deal:“We're still in a position where we have to get things finalized before we know for sure where we are.” - so apparently Feaster doesnt even know what he's getting back yet. JaFe - go for Armia.

#40 John Deere Green
June 24 2011, 10:38PM

@ Justin, Well at least there's room for some dealing's on July 1st now. Does any one know of anything of value come available in regards to d-men on July 1st?

#41 Timo Seppa
June 24 2011, 10:39PM

@icedawg_42

Clearly, you re-sign Staios. Problem solved.

(Yes, I'm amusing myself. Sorry, no dog in this fight.)

#42 Justin Azevedo
June 24 2011, 10:39PM

I REALLY hope that report is wrong. It'd be a pity to see our best defenceman traded for that crap.

#43 everton fc
June 24 2011, 10:40PM

Feaster has certainly put his stamp on the team. Regehr was a fan favourite for most of us. A class guy, a hard worker each and every shift. He's certainly going to be missed...

Moving Kotalik makes it better for the fan-base to swallow... But as many said here already - how do you replace Regehr?

I get a sense we may get fleeced here. I really do. Other bad news - the Jets will not wear the old jerseys...

Not the best night for me. Hoping my gut feelings about Feaster... are way off base. I do like Baertshci (sp?) pick. Maybe this is a good sign...

(Wonder how/if Feaster can unload Hagman? Florida could be a good place to start shopping him)

The end of an era. Good run, Robyn. We'll miss you.

#44 Justin Azevedo
June 24 2011, 10:42PM

Mac now reporting that's likely the trade. Kill me.

#45 icedawg_42
June 24 2011, 10:43PM

@everton fc

Betcha Hags goes to Abby! Im sorry to see Reggie go, but let's face it he is the only value/tradeable contract on the roster (save for Gio) so if a move was to be made for any return, it had to be him. But I agree..Feaster, you better not have rushed this.

#46 icedawg_42
June 24 2011, 10:44PM

@Justin Azevedo

Oh My Got.....that is SUCK.

#47 icedawg_42
June 24 2011, 10:44PM

@Justin Azevedo

Oh My Got.....that is SUCK.

#48 icedawg_42
June 24 2011, 10:44PM

@Justin Azevedo

Oh My Got.....that is SUCK.

#49 Timo Seppa
June 24 2011, 10:45PM

Chris Butler? THAT Butler? He's the Ales Kotalik of defensemen. Good luck with that one, guys. Guess he might still have some "upside".

#50 icedawg_42
June 24 2011, 10:46PM

Feaster...you are an idiot. Im out!