Edmonton's Dirty Little Secret

Vintage Flame
August 19 2011 04:01PM

 

 

The following is a Public Service Announcement from the fans of the Calgary Flames... “EDMONTON is the worst thing since Hepatitis!” Wow...That’s kind of harsh isn’t it? But... that is what I read the other day. And, it came from a fairly respected source. However, just to be fair, let’s take an in depth look and see if indeed the Oilers are worthy of the reference.

Rexallitis A: Oilers’ Goaltending

The Oilers’ goaltending has been a position of contention, arguably since the days of Bill Ranford. Going into this season, Edmonton is going to face a gruelling learning curve that might turn out in their favour, but is more likely yet another source of frustration for the young club. Devan Dubnyk increased his work load by 84% from the 2009-10 season, but made little impact on the team considering he is going to carry the majority of the mail this year. 

Player GP GA GAA W L SOL Svs Pct
Devan Dubnyk 35 93 2.71 12 13 8 1010 0.916
Nikolai Khabibulin 47 153 3.40 10 32 4 1236 0.890

Despite Dubnyk playing 12 less games than Khabibulin, he actually boasted a decent GAA and Sv%, especially for a second year goalie. It was actually his best numbers since 2006-07, when he posted a 2.56 GAA and 0.921 Sv% in 43 games with the ECHL Stocton Thunder. Then again, is there any real reason for optimism with this guy? The numbers seem fine until you come to the realization that he only played 35 games. Can Dubnyk pull out these same kinds of numbers when he is playing 60 + games? Despite the high aspirations the Oilers had in bringing Nikolai over from Chicago, he has been more of a liability for the team, than the asset he was once known as. Add to the fact that he is most likely one more back spasm away from Margaritaville, and the writing is pretty much all over the “Bulin Wall”. Was he too old to play the style he was known for and praised for on highlight reels? Maybe Nik was struck with a little bit of Rexallitis B?...What’s that?

Rexallitis B: Oilers’ Defence

Hey, don’t laugh. These ladies might have distracted opposition enough to have prevented more goals than the Oilers defence corps. Flat out, the Oilers D-men were brutal last year... and the year before that too. No doubt losing Ryan Whitney to injury was significant. He was the only D-man to have a positive +/-, at +13. Of course that may be misleading in that he only played in 35 games. Here is how the back end looked.

Player GP G A Pts +/- Corsi/60 GVT 2011 Sal
Ryan Whitney 35 2 25 27 13 -11.86 7.6 4 M
Tom Gilbert 79 6 20 26 -14 -3.36 3.4 4 M
Kurtis Foster 74 8 14 22 -12 -7.55 1.3 N/A
Jim Vandermeer 62 2 12 14 -15 -4.63 3 N/A
Theo Peckham 71 3 10 13 -5 -12.18 1.7 1.075 M
Ladislav Smid 78 0 10 10 -10 -6.03 -0.4 2.25 M
Jeff Petry 35 1 4 5 -12 0.11 -0.2 1 M
Jason Strudwick 43 0 2 2 -16 -19.37 -1.9 UFA
Taylor Chorney 12 1 3 4 -5 -15.02 0.3 735 K
*Cam Barker 51 1 4 5 -11 -14.12 -1 2.25 M

Hmmm, maybe it was the Edmonton defence that was distracted by the “flag bearers” above, because these are the kind of numbers that get your hockey card shoved into the spoke of some kid’s bike tire. As their Corsi shows, they were completely inept at driving the play north while on the ice. They were marginally significant offensively, and as their GVT rating shows, it wasn’t a stretch to replace these guys if need or want be. The addition of *Cam Barker to this squad leaves little hope to solve this issue either. Even though he wasn’t on the squad last year, I have included his numbers in the chart above, to show the Oilers lack of progression in this area. Barker becomes an RFA next season, so clearly this is an audition year to see if Barker can get his career going in the right direction.

Rexallitis C: Oilers’ Remission

Obviously the big white elephant here is the omission of the fab five of Hall, Paajarvi, Eberle, Omark and RNH. It’s the topic that has Oil fans dancing in the street. It’s the justification and vindication they’ve needed in light of the Oilers last place finishing over the past two years and the 10th worst team in the 2008-09 season. It is also going to be the strife and letdown for the future of the Oilers.

The way I see it, the Oilers took a dramatic step backwards in the 2011 draft. Many will say that is an absurd comment, but before you do... there is a method to my madness! There was no doubt that RNH was going to go first overall. Any team with the first pick would have been out right stupid to not draft Hopkins. So how did the Oilers make a miscalculation in indeed taking Hopkins first overall? They never should have drafted first overall. If the Oilers had taken off the RNH blinders and considered what an asset he could have been to their future, they would have traded the first overall pick.

The Oilers have a very formidable set of young forward prospects now. Why add another one, when the team is so desperate for help on the back end? Had the Oilers traded the first pick, they could have had extreme leverage over any team that came inquiring. They would have had teams lined up around Rexall to get that first pick. Basically, the Oilers could have used the availability of the pick to fix what was wrong with the team now and save what they will be in a few years.

I once heard that teams should never draft defensemen. The reason is that by the time they develop into their full potential, they are finished their entry level contracts, end up costing a fortune to re-sign and are usually lost to free agency. I agree with this and I don’t think the Oilers made a mistake in not drafting Larsson for this exact reason. Instead they drafted Klefbom later in the first round and they still get a solid defensive prospect they develop over time. However, if they had traded the first pick? They could have landed an established high-end #1 D-man. As we saw from the chart above, the Oil don’t have the luxury to develop a #1 D-man, they need help ASAP. With all of the moves made during free agency, the Oilers could have landed themselves immediate help on the back end, and that includes the possibility of landing Shea Webber.

Rexallitis D: Oilers’ Future

What happens when these entry level contracts all expire and these young superstars want to start seeing some real money? There are going to be a lot of tough decisions because the Oilers are not going to be able to sign and keep all these forwards. As I stated before, Edmonton doesn’t have the luxury of time to develop a #1 or #2 D-man. So if the goal is to fill this void immediately, they are going to have to buy them through free agency. According to CapGeek, the Oilers have four players signed through the 2013-14and just under $52 Million in cap space. Those four players are not Hall, Eberle, Omark or Paajarvi. Going by the chart above, the Oilers will have to fork out for probably two high end defensemen, to even give the corps a chance. That is going to run them somewhere in the neighbourhood of $10-15 Million for the pair, depending on who they try to sign.

If Dubnyk can’t carry the load of a 60+ game season, they also are going to have to look, once again, for a goaltender. Before anyone attributes Edmonton to the latest trend of signing goalies for cheap, keep in mind Edmonton is not Washington. They are not going to get Tomas Vokoun for $1.25 million. They are not Stanley Cup contenders; they are going to have to lure a top end goalie with money, not potential and opportunity. Teams like Chicago made successful runs with cheap goalies like Niemi, because they had the defence to keep the pressure off. Edmonton lacks this, and goalies know it. Look for a decent goaltending option to run them $4-5 million per.

Edmonton’s cap space now reduces to $38-32 Million. This number is reduced again because Omark actually becomes an RFA the previous year. Say Omark signs for even $2 Million? You also have to account for Hopkins being a full time player on the team; his entry level contract is $3.775 M, but becomes an RFA the next year. That leaves the Oilers an average of $30 Million to sign Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi.. and now factor in Klefbom.. Not to mention 13-15 more roster positions. Now there is no way to predict what these kids are going be offered or what they will expect. It will largely depend on their performance over the next couple of seasons.

However this leads to the conclusion of the Oilers’ problems. If the kids are a bust, then so will be the team and they will remain amongst the basement dwellers of the NHL. BUT... If the kids are “nice”, then there can be little doubt that they will want to be paid as such, and Katz and Lowe will find themselves in a severe Cap strain, with some tough decisions. Who will stay and who will go elsewhere Time will tell.

In the meantime Oilers fans; keep dancing in the streets. After all, ignorance is bliss... and well, its happy hour and that city is blissed out of its mind.

E42f2ca09dfb26046c3060ff46473aff
Vintage Flame is a Calgary based sports junkie that prefers to call hockey a "religion" rather than an addiction. He believes there are two types of hockey fans. Those who cheer for the Flames, and those who don't understand the sport yet. Follow Vintage_Flame on Twitter
Avatar
#51 TAE0145
August 19 2011, 08:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@Vintage Flame

True. Webber would have to be the first choice. As long as they pick someone like them and not a 30+ player who's best years are behind them. I agree with your point about the Oilers should have traded the pick for a defenseman. Whether RNH turns out or not!

Avatar
#53 SkinnyFish
August 19 2011, 08:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

It's beautiful.

Avatar
#54 DieHard
August 19 2011, 08:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@Vintage Flame

"When you keep collecting high level talent and year after year do nothing with it, you have to think the long term effect is not going to be good."

If this was 2 years from now and the Oil were still bottom feeders I can agree with your statement. But this year after year is only 2 years. You make it sound like years and years have gone by.

And by the way what team/player was available to be traded for the 1st overall (RNH). I didn't hear any offers for that elite D-man. And how do you know there wasn't an effort?

Avatar
#56 Cam Charron
August 19 2011, 09:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

All I can say is that Ryan Lambert has some room for improvement after this post.

Avatar
#58 edmontoncritic - BRoadwAY
August 19 2011, 11:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@Vintage Flame

Klefbom is at minimum 4 years away from a contract, probably 5. Whitney is a #2 Offensive defenseman. The players right now that have Top pairing potential are Marincin and Petry. Worst case both would be #4s. The team which shall not be named made it to the final without a #1 or 2. They had like 4, #3s which worked fine. Pitt had Gonchar in their run and basically nothing else of note on the back end. Orpik, Gill, Letang??

Key being, there are many ways to accumulate talent and win. The key words being accumulate talent. You can trade for what you need. See Whitney for Kunitz, Pronger for package. You need young assets to be able to deal, you just hope you dont turn those young assets (Phaneuf AND Aulie) into that scoring machine Matt Stajan.

Avatar
#59 RossCreekNation
August 19 2011, 11:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Wanyes bastard child wrote:

Despite the article at least your still far and away a better writer than Rosscreek ;)

Well... YOU SON OF A BBBBB!!!!!

Hahaha. How's it goin, bastard?

Good stuff, VF!

Avatar
#61 schevvy
August 20 2011, 12:51AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

i'm gonna get razzed for this, but I honestly think the Oil should've taken Landeskog over RNH. Landeskog is bigger, stronger and I think is more of what the Oil needed. They have enough skilled forwards. (Eberle, Hall, Paajarvi, Omark). Landeskog is the type of young forward they don't really have right now. Don't get me wrong I think RNH will be a good player, but I really like what I see out of Landeskog and think he will be betrer in the future.

Avatar
#62 ChinookArch
August 20 2011, 06:50AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

VF,

Beautifully done. Out of the gate and you go straight for the hearts of Oiler fans. It's about time that someone exposed the Oliers strategy for what it is - a fairytale. Seriously, how is that an entire fan base is sucked into this sewer of junk logic: 1. Be a bad, uncompetitive team for several years. 2. Draft in the top 3 every year. 3. Become NHL champions. Really! Wow, you people are so smart. I can't believe no one else has thought of this. Oh wait maybe others have . . . Let's see, ah yes I can think of a couple. The Panthers and the Islanders have both iced terrible teams for years, and both a have drafted in the top 10 for years. I can't wait to watch the exodus out of Edmonton, but it's okay right you just keep drafting in the top 10. Good for you!

Avatar
#63 ChinookArch
August 20 2011, 07:16AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
edmontoncritic - BRoadwAY wrote:

Core Players - Estimated $ based on a complete guess and a couple yrs out.

Hall - 8M RNH - 6M Ebs - 6M MPS - 4M Whitney - 4M Petry - 5M Bunz or Dubnyk - 4M 7 players = 37M

Cap Limit likely in 3-4 years = $70M

Remaining Roster = 23-7 = 16

33/16 = $2.0625M per player remaining. Even if you think the estimates above are low, an avg of over $2M per player leaves you quite a bit of room. Especially when alot of players will be on entry level deals on the 3/4th line for a couple years

I'm impressed with how far you are willing to push the fairytale. You don't know $70M will be the new cap in a few years, and considering that the CBA is up this year, I doubt your right. You may also consider that as the cap goes up, so will player expectations for bigger contracts, in other words their agents will ensure that each player reaps their fair share of cap space regardless of what that number is.

Avatar
#64 Craig
August 20 2011, 07:21AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

There are a lot of young skilled players in the Oilers organization, but there's no variation, they are all offensively gifted forwards. No two way minute munching centre, no high level physical grinders, no above average goaltending, no top level defenseman. There are a lot of holes to be filled, and hoarding offensively skilled young forwards and adding ryan smith isn't going to solve anything.

Avatar
#65 Kent Wilson
August 20 2011, 09:28AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Im surprised no one has congratulated VF for the photoshops, which make the article in my opinion.

Avatar
#66 michael
August 20 2011, 09:30AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Capped out.Not likely. Bulin will be off the books. Horcoffs contract gone. Gilberts 4 million a year gone. Hemsky will be gone and his 4-5 million per.Sourays 2,75 million gone. I'm counting what 23 million off the books by the time Hall and company start looking for thier second contract. Klefbom??? Who is he. A late first round pick who hasn't played a game in the NHL. Whitney. With 2 feet he'll put up 45 points this year.I would rather a stay at home d corps who can crash and bang. Oh wait that is what we are building. Whitney 6-3. Peckham 6-2. Petry 6-4.Sutton 6-6. And the band played on.Bulin is our biggest issue. I agree we need an upgrade in net. But don't 16 other NHL teams? BTW when is Kipper going to retire. Who do you have as his backup???

Avatar
#67 edmontoncritic - BRoadwAY
August 20 2011, 09:58AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
ChinookArch wrote:

I'm impressed with how far you are willing to push the fairytale. You don't know $70M will be the new cap in a few years, and considering that the CBA is up this year, I doubt your right. You may also consider that as the cap goes up, so will player expectations for bigger contracts, in other words their agents will ensure that each player reaps their fair share of cap space regardless of what that number is.

So the cap went from $39M to $64M in 5 years and you believe that its a stretch to go from $64-70M in 3 or 4 years? I underestimated for that reason that I wasnt making it unrealistic.

I expect this CBA negotiation to be about contract structures more than the cap. The last CBA worked well for everyone, the main sticking point is cap circumvention.

Id say that Im already being generous in the salaries above. Iginla set the bar at 7M, very few players still are over that, 4 or so years layer.

@RexLibris

I can easily chirp the flames, Its called a rivalry for a reason. I dont like their team, its nothing personal, ill still go for a beer with a flames fan whose a good sport

Avatar
#68 RexLibris
August 20 2011, 10:41AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@edmontoncritic - BRoadwAY

I wasn't really thinking of you EcB, but the yahoos I read on other forums (read: HB). Don't get me wrong, my dearest hope is for the Flames to spend an eternity in sporting limbo, never too good, never too bad. Perpetual mediocrity. Like you said, it's nothing personal, but when the comments get personal that's when I draw the line. Like Mr. Kinney's article about the arena debate last week, it was over the top and unprofessional, even for a fan site.

I think you're probably right about the cap-ceiling, but there's one aspect that nobody has mentioned yet: with the cap-floor being an issue, and presumably it will to some extent in the new CBA as well, a contract like Horcoff's with a high cap-hit and lower salary, for a good second/third line centre begins to have some value to it. As long as Tambellini can work around the NMC's in it, it isn't necessarily the albatross that many people make it out to be.

I've never gone for a beer with a Flames fan, but then I've never found a bar that had those spill-proof sippy cups to accomodate them, so that's probably why.

Avatar
#72 edmontoncritic - BRoadwAY
August 20 2011, 11:26AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@RexLibris

LOL - I believe that the domebeers come filled to the sippy-cup brim!

I agree with it all above. The oilers have zero cap restraints and a ridiculous amount of talent with which they can choose their core. For those who don't fit, package them and bring in someone that does fit. As far as D goes, they can be purchased. Yes, you need to overpay but teams are always looking for scoring young players with potential to do more. You dont need to go the UFA route.

Heck, looks at Cogs even! If a team is willing to pay him >2.5, imagine if we traded Gagner/Omark/Hemsky/MPS? Obviously those will be tough decisions and clearly they arent shipping all those guys out but when the time comes, they will see good return on assets they cant sign or dont fit

Avatar
#73 edmontoncritic - BRoadwAY
August 20 2011, 11:33AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@Vintage Flame

"I think drafting RNH didn't address what you need."

Monsieur, I cannot believe that you refuse to think drafting a #1 Centre is the best option over anything else. Lets say we stuck with Gagner......then we'd just have Conroy. Youre basically telling us to follow the Calgary/Sutter model. Stack up on D, have one great player and hope for the best filling in the rest of your fwds.

Avatar
#75 edmontoncritic - BRoadwAY
August 20 2011, 11:48AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@Vintage Flame

Then we still wouldnt have a #1 C .......You dont just fall into a #1C, you draft them. Only Joey T is a legit C that was traded.

Arguably the best playoff defenseman, Chris Pronger, has been dealt 3 times in 5 years. He alone has been traded more than first line Centres.

Point - Elite D are available every year, elite Centres are not

Avatar
#77 schevvy
August 20 2011, 12:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Gotta say Vintage, this is great. First article and taking shots at the Oil. Beautiful

Avatar
#79 Emir
August 20 2011, 02:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Awesome article vintage. I respect how you are pointing you the flaws of the oilers fan from a legit perspective. Very professional in its approach and tonnes of fun to read

Avatar
#80 RexLibris
August 20 2011, 02:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Okay, so as I see it this basically comes down to your claiming that we need to act in the present while Oiler fans are saying that we're aiming for the future. I understand your point. Cloutier, the Oilers blogger at HB, has been saying the same thing. He's argued that the Oilers should have RFA sheeted Weber or traded some assets to bring in a top 2 defenceman right now. Most Oiler fans have disagreed, especially with his Weber offer sheet idea, because we know that a top d man right now isn't going to be enough to make us a contender overnight. Whereas with patience, the prospects that we have are trending well and look to be able to become the pieces that we need, without having to trade for them. So your overpayment argument, while logical, I think will prove inaccurate. The Flames haven't been able to develop any top level talent for a very long time, outside Iginla. So naturally, you would assume that this will be the case with us as well. But the problem with that argument is: where do you think Weber, Keith, Seabrook, Suter, Yandle, Bieksa and so on came from? They were drafted, sometimes late, and developed, and now each of them plays on the team that developed them. There are also a huge number of top-end defenders who were acquired by their current team, instead of being drafted, and sometimes acquired quite reasonably. I found the same argument coming from Leafs fans a few years back when they tried to kick-start their rebuild by signing college free agents and trading for established, younger players. It's like they thought these players came out of a vacuum. They said why waste time and take chances on picks, and that theory has been pretty soundly defeated. The idea is to get as much talent in your development process as you can and see what comes out at the other end.

Flames fans have been in the "now", trading away their future in the hope of capitalizing on the present for how many years now? So I guess it makes sense that looking at the Oilers from a Calgary perspective would lead you to that conclusion. But that's why the moves a team makes can seem counterintuitive to fans in other cities, where other priorities are at the forefront of fan consciousness.

I don't begrudge any Flames fan taking a shot at their hated rivals (that's still the Oilers, isn't it?) because we're at the bottom right now or trying to poke holes in our rebuild plans. But by the same token you know that Oiler fans will laugh when you talk about having organizational depth or suggest you can attain your franchise messiah by trading weak assets or through free agency. I just have to wonder, though, will Flames fans change their tune and start backpeddling when the rebuild starts in their city?

Avatar
#82 Wanyes bastard child
August 20 2011, 03:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
RossCreekNation wrote:

Well... YOU SON OF A BBBBB!!!!!

Hahaha. How's it goin, bastard?

Good stuff, VF!

Oh not bad, not bad, still trying* to be my sarcastic witty self here on the nations. Working construction with no computer access during the day by the time I get on I usually find all the smart stuff has already been gone through so theres no point in my going over it again, hence why I never generally have anything usefull to add to any given blog eh :P

*I did say I was trying...

Avatar
#83 RexLibris
August 20 2011, 04:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@Vintage Flame

Whoa man, I not trolling, and I have made a point of saying I won't do that. In fact in the past I have said that Flames fans shouldn't be as hard on themselves as they seem to be sometimes and that there are opportunities in this.

You're right about the Flames comments. I have been reading regularly and as Kent has said, there is a lot of doom and gloom. I don't think you're situation is as bad as all that, but yeah, it isn't good.

My comment about weak assets was in reference to suggestions about what Hagman and Stajan or even Bouwmeester could get in trade, not about moving the #1 pick.

Now, perhaps I do owe a small apology (don't rub it in please, this is hard enough) as I have said here that I appreciate hearing outside opinions on the state of the franchise and their direction, so for that: thank you.

Avatar
#84 ChinookArch
August 20 2011, 04:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Vintage Flame wrote:

WHAT??? Hold on I'll be RIGHT back.. I have to actually read this again..

Okay.. Horcoff is signed at 5.5 Mil through 2014-15 iwith a NMC until 2013, where it becomes a modified NTC. So how exactly is he 'gone'. Even if he could be dealt, he is about as marketable as Matt Stajan.. So good luck.

Gilbert is signed at 4M per until 2014.. Where is he going. Who will take his $4M when he's not even worth a double double and a box of Timbits? Good luck with that too.

"Oh wait that is what we are building. Whitney 6-3. Peckham 6-2. Petry 6-4.Sutton 6-6. " ... And then? You think having tall D-men is the answer? Dude... Sutton will be 37 in March. What you think he's Nik Lidstrom? As for Peckham, Petry and Whitney.. Well the numbers don't seem to share your sentiment. None of those guys are 1-2 D-men.. soooo right back where we started and you need to get out the wallet.

No worries VF,

If you saw EcB comments regarding last weeks article about the Oilers negotiations for a new arena, you'll have noticed he uses fictional numbers to make his points.

Avatar
#85 ChinookArch
August 20 2011, 04:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@ all the Oiler fans on FlamesNation

I presume if VF wanted to really upset all you he would have posted this article on OilersNation.com. I share his view, I don't believe in the rebuild the way the Oilers are approaching it. I believe it is a risky approach, and look no further back than the Blackhawks for proof. Yes, the won the cup but if they didn't, they still would have been forced to break up big parts of that team. In other words, the window of opportunity is very small.

I expect VF, like myself is tired of hearing fellow Flames fans looking to rebuild in the same fashion as the Oilers. What I'm getting at is that this article is intended for Flames fans, not you.

Avatar
#86 They're $hittie
August 20 2011, 04:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

LOL, an article by flames media who knows that their team for the next five years is going to get worse and hangs on to a 9-13 place in the western conference.

Jealous.

I have never heard of any GM complain about too much top end talent. Id rather have the problem of trying to sign to many young stars than have no prospects at all (heh calgary). Oh ya Bartschi is the next crosby right, just like kadri is in toronto. Just ask boston fans if they had an issue when they couldnt sign kessel. dont think any of them care.

Avatar
#88 RexLibris
August 20 2011, 05:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
ChinookArch wrote:

@ all the Oiler fans on FlamesNation

I presume if VF wanted to really upset all you he would have posted this article on OilersNation.com. I share his view, I don't believe in the rebuild the way the Oilers are approaching it. I believe it is a risky approach, and look no further back than the Blackhawks for proof. Yes, the won the cup but if they didn't, they still would have been forced to break up big parts of that team. In other words, the window of opportunity is very small.

I expect VF, like myself is tired of hearing fellow Flames fans looking to rebuild in the same fashion as the Oilers. What I'm getting at is that this article is intended for Flames fans, not you.

I have never heard a Flames fan say they should rebuild in the same fashion that we are. I'm not doubting you, in fact I totally understand why that would be annoying. And yeah, I'm sorry if us Oiler fans are crashing the FN/VF party, and like I said, I'm not here to troll. I just find that ON and FN are the two best nation sites for articles and information about the team. CA is too self-congratulatory, JN is still getting started, and LN doesn't have as strong contributors. I get that you don't want Oil fans constantly commenting on all things Flames, but if VF posts an article about the Oil do you really think some of us aren't going to chime in?

The Blackhawks rebuild did work for that year, and had Bowman not screwed up the RFA sheets they could still be together and in a slightly better spot. But it's only a year removed from their cup win, so maybe you want to wait another 3 or 4 before closing the window on that group.

Any rebuild is risky, but that's the nature of sports. There are no guarantees. The path the Oilers have taken has a half-decent track record of assembling a good team (no cup claims here, just a good group of talent) so we'll go that route and see where it takes us. We might win a cup or two as a result, we might not, but it was a heck of a better plan that what we'd been doing before which was a whole lot of nothing.

Avatar
#91 edmontoncritic - BRoadwAY
August 20 2011, 08:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
ChinookArch wrote:

No worries VF,

If you saw EcB comments regarding last weeks article about the Oilers negotiations for a new arena, you'll have noticed he uses fictional numbers to make his points.

Please Chinook, tell me where I used fictional evidence? In short I said to make your own decision but know all the facts prior to making that decision. I offered to send the document but have yet to receive a msg. Anytime you wanna see where I was getting my information, just ask. I also told you what to search for to obtain what I was talking about. I just dont think saying I used "fictional" evindence is fair. If you dont agree, thats fine, just say it but dont throw crap out like that please

Avatar
#92 edmontoncritic - BRoadwAY
August 20 2011, 08:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Vintage has truly done a great job defending his point. If I didnt know better, Id agree! :P

Avatar
#93 They're $hittie
August 20 2011, 08:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

what has flames management done to make there team better. nothing. 8 or 9 place all the time and trading away all the future for a dismall playoff run attempt.

if you are going to blow up your team to try and shake things up, get some value out of it. dont just go take another crappy team and trade your garbage for there exact same garbage.

trade iggy and kipper and bouwmeester and get some highend picks while you can.

Avatar
#94 edmontoncritic - BRoadwAY
August 20 2011, 08:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@Kent Wilson

If you believe that Lowe is still running everything then you still believe King is running everything. Thus, its a tie and tiebreaker goes to quality of players/Avg Age ~~~~>Edmonton Wins......again

Avatar
#95 TAE0145
August 20 2011, 09:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Mmmmm Pistol Whip!!!

Avatar
#97 Islanders of the north
August 20 2011, 10:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Awesome article. I could not agree more. I have been saying the same thing. Edmonton is not attractive at all. I was there last weekend and with all do respect it is about attractive as rainbow lake except Rainbow lake acually has better fishing.

You have not included how many of these youngster will want to bolt to a city that can actually offer something. If they loose 2-3 players due to this they will be nothing more than an average team at best and will be best labelled Islanders of the North.

If Alberta was New York, Calgary would would be Manhattan (Rangers) and Edmonton would Long Island (Islanders) Where would you want to play? why do think Calgary has so many no movement clauses? Because the players like the city and would preffer to stay there.

Vintage Flame you nailed it and your photos are awesome as well!!

Avatar
#98 TAE0145
August 20 2011, 11:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@Islanders of the north

So many no movement clauses on quite a few guys they'd like to move...whether it's to do with the city or not still poor management.

Avatar
#99 TAE0145
August 20 2011, 11:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

If you've ever been to Detroit you'd know it's not necessarily about the city. If in 2-3 years Edmonton's competitive guys will be happy to be there.

Comments are closed for this article.