Daymond Langkow - An Appreciation

Robert Cleave
August 30 2011 07:56AM

This is clearly one of those pieces that I’d rather not have to write, since I’m compelled to discuss a player that, if I had my druthers, would have had the chance to author a Conroy-style coda over the next few years. A player enjoying a period of graceful aging and a nice retirement ceremony is a rare thing to witness in the modern world, though, and yesterday, Daymond Langkow became the latest athlete asked to move along as he neared the gloaming.

Whatever people might think of these fin de siècle Flames, it's fairly obvious that Daymond Langkow played an important part in the rebirth of the club as a competitive force. His acquisition from the Coyotes for Oleg Saprykin and Denis Gauthier in the late summer of '04 turned out as well as any team could ever hope, as quality was obtained for flotsam, and the subsequent seasons revealed a player that could do something quite rare in the game. Daymond Langkow could play against the other team’s better players and not get throttled.

Langkow certainly prospered offensively in his first few years as a Flame, and it’s easy to think that his days as Jarome Iginla’s center were the pinnacle of his career. As a scorer that’s obviously so, but the time where my appreciation grew for what Daymond Langkow was really all about peaked in 2008/09 and 2009/10.

That first season saw the Flames move Langkow away from Iginla’s side and away from the offensive opportunities that can allow players to post shiny boxcar numbers. Mike Keenan moved him down the order with Rene Bourque as his primary sidekick, and added to the burden by asking those two gents to carry Sparklepants along for the ride. Instead of pouting his way out of town, he accepted his role as the anchor of the second line with no fuss, and before injuries and hubris from the management suite shot the season to hell, Langkow was a key cog on a very good team.

09/10 saw him fed to the toughs in order to paper over the club’s lack of depth through the first 50-odd games, and he and Bourque managed to make Nigel Dawes a break-even player against top line opposition without the luxury of percentages or any of the other qualifiers we look for to explain away good results. After the trades of that season, he and Chris Higgins spent their month together performing the same voodoo with Ales Kotalik, as they conspired to drag a mediocrity to some very healthy outshooting numbers.

That bit about his linemates might strike a sensible person as a pattern. Daymond Langkow, when provided with one other useful player (Bourque, Higgins), could carry an openly inferior third party to good results against top-six NHL competition. We often talk about difference makers. To my eye, what Langkow provided the Flames over those two years qualified as making a real difference, and as we saw from Bourque’s lackluster 10/11 performance, it seems apparent Daymond Langkow was the primary figure in that duo.

Irrespective of whatever misgivings I might have had about the club's performance these last few years, watching a pro like Daymond Langkow operate was a genuine pleasure. There are any number of players that can dominate with physical ability, but what we witnessed with Langkow was a player that was able to thrive more on his wits than via any overwhelming athletic talent. He simply knew what to do at both ends of the ice, and as we’ve seen over the last year-plus, that commodity is in rarer supply than might be commonly acknowledged. Friend of the blog Matt Fenwick often referred to Daymond Langkow as “instant chemistry”, and no matter how one might parse results, it’s pretty clear that playing with Langkow was good news for nearly anyone the Flames had on their roster from the fall of 2005 onward.

That ability to make others better was why his dreadful injury two springs ago in St. Paul was such an unmanageable loss for the team. Calgary was suddenly bereft of its one reliable two-way center, and the team’s collapse in 09/10 and its failure to make the second season last year seems reasonable given how central Langkow’s presence was to Brent Sutter’s vision of the team. The Flames needed him to play the toughs so that others could prosper, and shorn of that option, the club never quite seemed to get things right, especially against better teams.

It’s not unreasonable for people to wonder what Daymond Langkow has left in the wake of his year away from the game, and I don’t doubt for a minute that the club has its own questions about his long-term viability as a top forward.  Between perceived team needs and the invincible tyranny of the calendar, maybe it’s not that much of a shock that today’s events happened, and it might well end up being the proper move for all parties.

Even if that ends up being the case, I do hope that people can grasp exactly what sort of player the Flames had wearing number 22 these last six seasons, even if so much of what Daymond Langkow provided was beyond the reach of the boxscore. Fans often opine that they admire talent without overweening ego, that they want players that will sacrifice their own results for the good of the team in the collective. I can’t think of a player that exemplified those characteristics more directly than Daymond Langkow did during his stay with the Flames. He was a professional in the very best sense of that word, and the Flames are a lesser organization with him gone.

So with that in mind, I can only offer my best wishes to the man as he heads to the desert. In the end, players really only owe us their best efforts, and if there was ever a Calgary Flame of this era that paid that debt in full, it was Daymond Langkow. Good luck, sir, and thanks.

1a1030a8151ca7a0d81aea58f0fb1dbc
Robert Cleave is a perpetually grumpy Winnipegger.

Robert,

Agree totally. Daymond was always a Flame you could count on to show up, and quietly and efficiently go about whatever job he was assigned. I too will miss seeing #22.

Thanks for the memories Mr. Langkow.

#2 the-wolf
August 30 2011, 08:39AM

Simply well put.

#3 icedawg_42
August 30 2011, 08:44AM

Nice piece! I think this may be a bit of a homecoming for Langks in Phoenix though, so it's bittersweet. He may well get that well deserved retirement ceremony in familiar territory.

#4 the-wolf
August 30 2011, 09:22AM

I find it interesting that he had next to no hesitation in leaving. He waived his NTC almost immediately.

August 30 2011, 09:33AM

@the-wolf

Having played there previously, it wouldn't surprise me if he still owned property down there.

#6 Domebeers.com
August 30 2011, 09:42AM

As someone who was 'he doesn't score' I have come around to your position. I sum it up as: On a team of pussies, Daymond Langkow was not one.

The explanations offered by management on this one make no sense to me. Just an odd trade, made odder still by the fact that we apparently had a player PHX coveted and all we could extract was Stempniak. To me, just another example of the poor management on this team. And they try to use Langkows poor-ish numbers as cover for the trade.

Dude played in the playoffs with a broken wrist. Says it all to me. Well, that and he didn't use his broken neck to fake retire and get on with another team (cough Roberts cough)

#7 icedawg_42
August 30 2011, 09:51AM

@Kent Wilson

I think Feaster said in his interview on the Fan yesterday "he still has a home down there" - whether that means a property or not I'm not sure.

#8 Flamin Cannot's
August 30 2011, 09:52AM

I still don't get this trade - the flames must believe that Langks will not fully recover. It smells kinda like Gary Roberts...

#9 MC Hockey
August 30 2011, 10:03AM

Flames are run by a lawyer so the concept of "risk management" played a part in this move meaning there are more risks (injury, age) with him vs "Stempy". But he's a great guy, are rare solid & super-intelligent player so will be missed in some way for sure. Hopefully he does not score 60 points, be a leader, and be +25 for Phoenix thus beating us out for 8th playoff spot but that could happen. Again I hope B Morrison can replace what he brought given his similarity in intelligence and versatility on the ice.

August 30 2011, 10:27AM

@MC Hockey

Morrison and Langkow are comparable in style, perhaps, but not in results. Morrison hasn't drive the play against quality players since the "West Coast Express" days with Naslund and Bertuzzi. He hasn't been a hard minutes option for years.

#11 the-wolf
August 30 2011, 10:57AM

Are you sure he can afford 2 properties?

HAR!

August 30 2011, 11:05AM

@the-wolf

Have you seen the prices of houses in Phoenix?

#13 mo
August 30 2011, 11:23AM

what is going on now we have given up another quality player for a third liner this feaster think was brought in to dismantell our team and leave us to the wolves and by the middle of the season leave laughing all the way sorry to see lanks go what a joke this managment has become with what feaster has done to this point expect another 7 or 8th first round player . hey perhaps that is the plane do an edmonton start grabing all the first pick players in the next few yrs i for 1 will not be purchasing any NHL tv for I on;y whatch calgary and don't think I want to see what is up coming . Feaster u are a Pr$%#%K and many more names I can think of

#14 Scott
August 30 2011, 11:27AM

I did hear on the radio that he owns his house down there still (never sold his property when he was traded) and is still great friends with Doan. So i'm not surprised he accepted so readily. Nice to see a player being shipped out because of age, go to a team that wants him.

#15 Vintage Flame
August 30 2011, 02:06PM

Great article as always Bob! It is never great to see one of the players that you always think.. no.. KNOW you can rely on, leave the organization. We haven't had many of those over the past few years, which make it especially hard to see Langkow go.

The more pragmatic side of me wonders though if Langkow at 35 years and 18 months out of the NHL was going to be the same player he was when he left. I hope he IS, just not when the Flames play Phx.

I'm hoping the Flames can somehow find a diamond in the rough when it comes to development of a new true 2 way player. What I really hope is that now that the Flames are getting younger and faster, that they won't need a line like Daymond's to shoulder so much of the load.. Or rather, that the tough minutes he logged aren't going to be as tough as they were when Langkow faced them.

#16 ChinookArch
August 30 2011, 05:11PM

This Article is now saved on the hard drive.

I was hoping 2011/12 was going to be the most important season for the Flames, in terms of Langkow as an asset. I expected him to re-elevate Bourque's value and his other wingers this season. It potentially could have been a way to trade him or other overpaid and under-achieving forwards. Langkow consistently makes his line mates better, and this is why we needed this guy to stay. I don't believe most Flames fans will notice that he is gone and that's too bad, because was simply a great asset.

#17 RKD
August 30 2011, 09:46PM

Langkow's contributions to the team were invaluable. The fact he could elevate a 25 goal scorer in Bourque speaks volumes about Langs.

However, Bourque has to do it on his own now, no more being hand held by others.

Langs is such a good defensive forward, he could have been used on defence. Like Bowman used Fedorov on defence in Detroit.

#18 C Robertson
August 30 2011, 10:32PM

Very well written article and I can't agree more. Langkow has been one of my favorite Flames since he joined the team. Played very sound positional hockey and had great awareness on the ice. Only major weakness his game had that I can think of, and not all that major, was his faceoffs. I hope he does well in Phoenix. As for the return, I doubt he would have fetched much more from any other team than what Phoenix gave up.