FGD: No More Music

Pat Steinberg
January 01 2012 01:48PM

Just a quick edition of FGD today with New Years festivities kind of getting all in the way.  The Calgary Flames play their final game of the season against the Nashville Predators today, hoping to even the season series with them (4 pm, Sportsnet Flames and Sportsnet 960).  The Flames are hoping to snap a two game skid and a three game period of fairly uninspired play.

The Lineup

Olli Jokinen plays his 1000th game tonight, so congratulations to him.  Miikka Kiprusoff returns between the pipes after another solid effort from Leland Irving on Friday night.  On the injury front, Derek Smith will be gone six to eight weeks with the high ankle sprain he suffered last week.

Curtis Glencross-Olli Jokinen-Jarome Iginla
Rene Bourque-Mikael Backlund-Lee Stempniak
Blake Comeau-Roman Horak-Paul Byron
Tom Kostopoulos-Brendan Morrison-Tim Jackman

Jay Bouwmeester-Chris Butler
Anton Babchuk-Scott Hannan
T.J. Brodie-Cory Sarich

The Opponent

The Preds are without Shea Weber with a concussion, and even though it was thought he might be back in the lineup sooner rather than later, it sounds like it's going to be a little longer term.  As a result, and not surprisingly, Ryan Suter is playing stupid minutes.  The Preds also get Kevin Klein back in the lineup tonight.

Martin Erat-David Legwand-Craig Smith
Sergei Kostitsyn-Mike Fisher-Patric Hornqvist
Gabriel Bourque-Nick Spaling-Jordin Tootoo
Brian McGrattan-Jerred Smithson-Matt Halischuk

Ryan Suter-Kevin Klein
Francis Boullion-Jonathan Blum
Roman Josi-Ryan Ellis

Pekka Rinne gets the start in net.

The Story

Calgary has been really lackluster since the Vancouver win prior to Christmas.  They need to get back to playing a much sounder brand of hockey tonight against a Predators team that is beat up and without one of their most important players.

1cd23297a0d13720ec2fc6d9740ce395
Pat Steinberg can be heard daily on the Fan960 in Calgary at can be read at the FAN 960. Born and raised in Calgary, Steinberg considers himself a huge fan of all sports including the CFL, MMA and 13 round bare knuckle boxing matches. Follow Steinberg on Twitter at www.twitter.com/Fan960Steinberg.
#1 Bob in the Abbey
January 01 2012, 02:06PM

Happy New Year Pat. Thanks to you and the other voices of the Nation for all the time and effort you put into providing is with opinions, facts and information.

I hope the New Years resolutions of the Flames is to play more consistently the remainder of the year. I've said it many times already and some are likely tired of reading it, but I will state one more time...the Flames are a .500 club. They will finish 10th - 12th in the West and may have a shot at a top 10 pick in June. There are positives emerging that could give the fan base some hope (Brodie, Horak and Smith) but also some questions as it pertains to the future of many of our top names. The trade deadline is fast approaching and maybe, just maybe, we'll get a better look at Feaster's plan for this team going forward.

#2 Colin
January 01 2012, 03:07PM

Is Kent not running a Live Chat today, I got the slack job at work today and I was really hoping for one....

If not, GO FLAMES GO! Lets get back on the winning track.

#3 ChinookArch
January 01 2012, 03:20PM

I'll echo the sentiment from Bob in Abbey. Great work from all the voices of FN, I have come to count on this site for my hockey/Flames fix all year, and the articles that each of you contribute are very appreciated. I'll send out further kudos to my fellow readers who take the time to post. The site is that much better with the variety of viewpoints that everyone brings and puts on the table.

Happy New Year everyone!

#4 RKD
January 01 2012, 03:38PM

Happy New Year, hope the Flames can start it off with a win.

The injury to Smith is not good, this d has to stay healthy and sustain until Gio comes back. If Babchuk/Sarich are weak at even strength, then I anticipate us seeing Clay Wilson play on this road-trip.

Hope Iggy hits 500 soon!

#5 Tina - @Vistadeck
January 01 2012, 04:14PM

Happy New Year Pat from beautiful Midnapore! Where the coyotes howl and white bunnies hop hop hop! Lol - Now I want to not be distracted by them and just want to see Flame goals tonight - bloody crips and to keep them up oh my not like Ottawa, what nonsenses was that?

I always enjoy watching the Flames play Nashville, usually provides for some good hockey - I'm hoping so tonight, ah always glass half full, what can i tell ya.

I haven't made a IIHF game yet, no luck on finding tickets except up in the PL and I'm spoiled LOL well and not great eyesight so I'm hoping and trying for something lower still. I did see some players up close thought LOL I had my NYE celebration included staying at the Palliser last night and ran in to Latvia, Russia and other team players at the hotel haha well that was something. They seemed to all be behaving them selves well for New Years Eve, at least the ones I ran into early.

Ok off to watch the game now!

EVERYONE HAVE AN AWESOME 2012 !!!!! all year :) Make it the best!