Hello There

Justin Azevedo
January 06 2012 12:31AM

My name is Justin Azevedo. You may have seen my name over at the other site I contribute to or in the comment section here. As of now, I'm FlamesNation's newest writer (you're off the hook, VF!) and I also produce the NHL Numbers Podcast.

I don't really like introductory posts because I find them to be quite self-congratulatory, but I'll do my best to keep this one comfotable for everyone to read.

Let's start with my hockey experience. I've played at "A" and "AA" levels all the way up through Midget, where my last year was spent at a sports school in town. Recently I've had some time with a Junior B team in town. Point is, I've played hockey at high levels and I've done so recently. For the most part, I manned the blue line but I also had a couple of seasons at forward sprinkled in there.

Writing-wise, I've been credentialed by the Flames for a few games this season. I've also been writing over at Matchsticks and Gasoline for half a year and before that at the now-defunct 4th Line Blog. I also maintain a tumblr blog for fun.

Personally, I'm 20 years old, 6'1 and 230 on a good day. I'm working on a Double Major at the University of Calgary and I enjoy beer. My father's been around the Flames for a while, being empolyed by them for almost 15 years and I've taken advantage of that a few times. My first article of clothing was a Flames onezie.

I understand how things like "leadership" and "grit" and "clutch" are important to mainstream fans. I'm not a fan of fighting...meaning I think it should be abolished completely. I'm a big believer in advanced stats and despise narratives.

Anyhoo, I'm sure we'll get to know each other in time. I look forward to joining the team.

A9d138d0e612f28cd46f9b7057ed715d
Justin is a 22-year-old Flames fan who also happens to be pursuing a double major at the University of Calgary. He has played hockey at high levels, enjoys wearing shorts and tends to drink far too much Grasshopper. Please don't hate him.
January 06 2012, 12:38AM

Welcome Justin. Don't feel bad if your reception is a little cold. As you can well imagine, nobody is in a good mood around here.

#2 Arik
January 06 2012, 12:40AM

Less strange than your original intro at M&G? YUP. Also, Kent, when are you gonna stop stealing my things?!

#4 Arik
January 06 2012, 12:55AM

Also, you made me sad with memories of 4LB. Goodbye old blog, good riddance Joomla.

#5 Cam Charron
January 06 2012, 01:12AM

Hi Justin!

Heeeeeey!!!

#6 If Only HIs Name Was Olli Postandin
January 06 2012, 01:12AM

Given your timing, sir, I consider you to be the harbinger of the impending advent of the anti-Christ on this earth.

#7 If Only HIs Name Was Olli Postandin
January 06 2012, 01:14AM

But all joking aside, accept my warm welcome. As a former graduate student at the U of C, it's always good to hear from bright minds at my old stomping grounds. p.s. I'm a big fan of fighting, though, so expect some vitriol, harangues, and attempts at character assassination -along with sporadic rational arguments - if you ever bring up the topic in an article.

#8 stallsky
January 06 2012, 01:23AM

welcome,

what are your thoughts for the flames future? Regards,

#9 Vintage Flame
January 06 2012, 01:43AM

Sweet!!! I'm no longer the noob!!!

Welcome Jazzy.. Great to have you aboard!

#10 Titus
January 06 2012, 05:32AM

Double Major? Nice man sounds intense, what is it in? With your passion for analytics I can assume Mathematics and Statistics?

#11 ChinookArch
January 06 2012, 06:55AM

Looking forward to another fresh point of view. Congratulations Justin . . . um, I think.

#12 everton fc
January 06 2012, 07:26AM

Welcome. And congrats.

As an aside... We could use you on the blue-line after last evening's massacre. How much "pull" does your dad have in the organization?! ;)

January 06 2012, 09:04AM

Hey there, sailor. Are you going to join in the game chats as well? They've missed the punch of constant swearing that the GDTs at M&G have.

#14 schevvy
January 06 2012, 09:49AM

Welcome, Justin! Expectations of your writing are plain and simple: be better than VF. (that can't be too difficult, can it?) :)

#16 jeremywilhelm
January 06 2012, 01:45PM

Damnit. There is no escaping you now!!! :P

#17 Wanyes bastard child
January 06 2012, 05:10PM

I for one hope your at least better than Rosscreek as a writer :P

#18 44stampede
January 06 2012, 06:11PM

Good to have you over here dude. 230? If we ever lace up the skates against each other it would have to be in a non-contact league.

You still at MandG? Where do you find the time???

#20 MC Hockey
January 06 2012, 08:40PM

Welcome Justin. Don't let others make you feel bad about being 230 lbs, I am only 5-9-ish and 230lbs so the "liking beer" part (and liking food in general) I do understand. In fact, think my body-fat percentage is now over 45% while yours is probably under 10%.

#21 Captain Ron
January 07 2012, 11:32AM

Welcome Justin. Anyone who likes beer is good with me. But you know were gonna let you have it when we don't agree with you right? He He