Joffrey Lupul makes his KHL debut and Nicklas Backstrom nets a hat trick

Steve Dangle
November 14 2012 08:06PM

The KHL returns from a 9-day break with 22 teams playing in 11 games. Joffrey Lupul makes his KHL debut with Avtomobilist, Malkin stacks the pads (what?), Ovechkin return much to the delight of Nicklas Backstrom, and more.

Enjoy!

Lupul's KHL debut. He gets a ton of ice time, but he's had a long layoff and he's on a new team and new ice surface.

The KHL has a reputation for having bad goalies. Pekka Rinne should probably put that to be, seeing as he has been pretty terrible this season.

Malkin makes a sick save. Worth watching just for that.

Nicklas Backstrom nets a hat trick in Ovechkin's return.

Alex Radulov loves goals.

And as always, the big Daily KHL Update pack with everything and more in one pack.

6b6884e175cda86e6828bab0537236ad
#1 Wäx Män Riley
November 14 2012, 10:09PM

Does anyone else prefer the international sized ice surface to the NHL size?

I would way rather watch games on a larger rink.

#2 yawto
November 14 2012, 08:50PM

With the fist overall pick over in canada in the super series it just isn't the same following the KHL.

#3 @Oilanderp
November 14 2012, 11:56PM

For a second there I could have sworn I read "a long PLAYOFF". Lupul. Leafs. Playoff.

AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHaAHAHAHAHAHAhaahAHAhaHAHAHAHAH

*gasp wheeze*

#4 atleastwehavethekhl
November 15 2012, 09:01AM

@Professor Q

Not a chance. The highlights are great, yes, but the games themselves can be torturous. Slow, dull and just agonizing to watch.

I say small ice any day of the week.

#5 Professor Q
November 14 2012, 10:51PM
Wäx Män Riley wrote:

Does anyone else prefer the international sized ice surface to the NHL size?

I would way rather watch games on a larger rink.

I agree. The Olympics and other international games are just way more fun, in my opinion.

#6 Pucker
November 15 2012, 01:00PM
Wäx Män Riley wrote:

Does anyone else prefer the international sized ice surface to the NHL size?

I would way rather watch games on a larger rink.

I've played defense on the larger ice surface. I'm no pro by any means but I found it frustrating having to play a much more passive game.

Give me 4 on 4 on the smaller ice surface anytime!

#7 Big Perm
November 15 2012, 05:18PM

Bigger ice is OK with me.

Gotta think that Backstrom like it too, with all that space behind the net to elude D-Men.

#8 The Keystone Garter
November 16 2012, 01:01PM

When Backstrom started scoring goals he got scary good. A sophmore Crosby rather than an Oates. I'd take Stamkos, Toews, Doughty as an asset over Nick. Just won a Battleship game...Ice Hockey for NES is alright. I'm Poland and Canada and USSR give me trouble. Can go to a skinny FW if necessary. The ice physics is alright. Maybe try to handicap Blades of Steel later. I guess if I get more hockey historic games each lockout, it is manageable. In a decade I expect Jan 8/11 Det-Van. They had like 2 losses in their previous 40 games combined...