Flames Prospect Update, November 26 2012

Ryan Pike
November 26 2012 08:39AM

The American populace celebrated Thanksgiving, which didn't really impact Flames prospects except for a Portland Winterhawks matinee on Black Friday. Anyhoo, the Heat went down to Texas and Calgary's college prospects went into battle against those stuffed shirts in the Ivy League.

How did they do? To be blunt: rather well.

TWO OUTTA THREE AIN'T BAD FOR HEAT

The Abbotsford Heat headed down to the heart of Texas for a tough three-in-three roadie this weekend. They performed rather well. Friday night they shut down the Texas Stars in overtime by a 1-0 score off a goal by Chris Breen. On Saturday, they travelled to San Antonio and beat the Rampage 3-2 in a shootout off of a Carter Bancks marker. And on Sunday, the club lost in overtime against Houston by a 3-2 score.

All-in-all, Abbotsford earned five of a possible six points and solidified their claim on first overall in the American Hockey League. The team's top line of Sven Baertschi, Roman Horak and Ben Walter have gone a bit cold, but the team's depth is showing through. Ben Street had 2 assists on Saturday. Brett Olson had goals on Saturday and Sunday. Barry Brust broke Johnny Bower's AHL record shutout streak in Saturday's win. Danny Taylor started Friday and Sunday and made 39 saves over the two nights.

The ECHL's Utah Grizzlies earned a single point this weekend in a pair of losses to the visiting Alaska Aces. They have won once in the month of November. Mitch Wahl had a goal and an assist on Saturday, but that was the only notable performance by any of the Flames properties all weekend.

GAUDREAU GETS FIVE POINTS

Boston College is a good team, but more and more it's appearing that Johnny Gaudreau is also a really damn good hockey player. The Eagles beat Dartmouth College on Saturday night by a 6-3 score. Gaudreau was in on five of the six markers, potting two goals and three assists (including setting up the game-winning goal). He was plus-five, too. Bill Arnold was minus-one, but that's okay.

Providence College also beat down some Ivy League nerds, beating Brown 7-0 on Saturday. Jon Gillies continues to be a good goalie, making 35 saves for the win, while Mark Jankowski was plus-two with an assist. Gillies hit a milestone, as he now has 300 saves in a dozen college starts.

Beyond these guys, nobody else did a heck of a lot in college, as Matthew Deblouw's Michigan State team was off for the weekend.

JUNIOR JUMBLE

In the Q, Ryan Culkin had an assist and was plus-two as the Quebec Remparts earned three of four possible points on the weekend.

In the OHL, Patrick Sieloff had a big hit and a fight on Sunday night. Windsor split their weekend games and other than the physicality, Sieloff was held off the scoresheet.

Laurent Brossoit continued his strong November this weekend. The Oil Kings won both of their games. Brossoit started on Friday night against Moose Jaw and made 22 saves for the win. This month, he's 5-1-1 with a 1.84 goals against average and a .933 save percentage.

Red Deer won both of their games this weekend in extra time and remain undefeated since Brent Sutter returned to his perch behind the Rebels bench. Captain Turner Elson had an assist on the weekend.

Both Brett Kulak and Tyler Wotherspoon had zero points, but each were plus-one on the weekend. In keeping with how their seasons are going, Kulak's Vancouver Giants lost their only game while Wotherspoon's Portland Winterhawks won both of theirs by a combined 12-4 score.

AVANGARD ROLLS ALONG

Avangard Omsk won both of their weekend games, with Karri Ramo and his back-up splitting starts. Ramo made 17 saves on Sunday as Omsk beat Traktor 6-4. The club sits comfortably on top of the KHL's Eastern Conference. Ramo has a 16-4-3 record, with a 2.26 goals against average and a .916 save percentage this season.

Lev Praha beat Lokomotiv 7-3 on Friday night. Roman Cervenka appears to be adjusting to the speed of the KHL after coming over from the Czech Extraliga, as he had a goal and was 56% in the face-off circle.

Joni Ortio made 20 saves in an HIFK loss on Saturday night, while Mikael Backlund was held off the scoresheet in a 3-2 Vasteras win.

51a8cdc527ce12d222fdc583f3cf4368
Now in his third full season covering the Calgary Flames and the NHL, Ryan Pike is a Calgary native and FlamesNation's managing editor. He's trying to keep his head up, his stick on the ice and is giving it 110% every shift. You can also find his work at The Hockey Writers, the Wrestling Observer and Tough Talk MMA.
#1 Clay
November 26 2012, 09:36AM

I watched the BC game. It is really hard not to get your hopes up about Gaudreau. In all the amateur games I've watched over the years, I can't remember anything close to that finishing ability. (Sven included)

The BC announcers liken him a lot to David Krejci for vision (which in itself is extremely lofty). If he can continue to bulk up, I salivate what he would look like with a pass first player on his line. Playing alongside Galcheynuk in the World Jrs will be a great litmus test to see exactly were he is.

For what its worth, he does look a little bigger. He's listed at 5'8" a stretch, but he no longer looks shorter than 5'7 or 5'6. His frame looks a touch fuller too.

#2 RexLibris
November 26 2012, 09:54AM

Just as a side note, I noticed that Peter Holland is tied with Baertschi in the AHL with 16 pts.

I'd love to see Gaudreau in the AHL, but I think he is wise to continue with the NCAA track for as long as he feels challenged.

#3 Clay
November 26 2012, 09:56AM
RexLibris wrote:

Not the Holland we traded away though

#4 Kevin R
November 26 2012, 11:21AM

Well at the rate things are going those World Juniors are going to be a hot ticket this year. Kinda wish Calgary was hosting them this year instead of last year.

#5 Kevin R
November 26 2012, 11:24AM
RexLibris wrote:

If I'm not mistaken I think we traded Patrick Holland.

#6 vowswithin
November 26 2012, 11:24AM

Thanks Mr Pike, So how does everyone here feel about us all chipping in and donating to the buy Human Growth Hormone for John Gaudreau fund? I don't want to say his height is the only thing that matters but another inch would be good!

I think of St. Louis (5'8) and Fleury (5'6) when people throw our their doubts on the kid.

All in all a decent weekend for the prospects. Sure we have nowhere near the depth that EDM has but we sure aren't no 30th in the prospect pool. I think we are just given less credit then we deserve.

HORAK can you please score and get things going again? Please?

#7 vowswithin
November 26 2012, 11:25AM
Kevin R wrote:

If I'm not mistaken I think we traded Patrick Holland.

That is correct!

#8 danglesnipecelly
November 26 2012, 11:26AM

You're thinking of Patrick Holland... who has 1 goal and 5 points and is -8 in 16 games. Nice try Rex...

#9 vowswithin
November 26 2012, 11:28AM

Speaking of which Kevin here are his stats this year.

2012-13 Tri-City Americans 2 games 1 assist

Hamilton Bulldogs 16 games 1goal, 4 assists

#10 RexLibris
November 26 2012, 11:38AM

So many Hollands!

You're right, I thought the name seemed odd somehow, but it didn't click until after I'd posted it.

It wasn't meant as an anti-Baertschi dig, though. I just like to keep tabs on prospects as they pass in and out of some organizations.

Rob Schremp passed through waivers and is now playing for Dinamo Riga's farm club, Liepajas Metalurgs. I wonder if Prendergast would still try defending that pick?

#11 clay
November 26 2012, 11:56AM

I've really enjoyed watching Brett Olson. I wonder if any of his success can translate to the NHL, even as a defensive forwad.

Street has been good too, but maybe too much of the same thing when looking at Baertschi, Granlund, Byron etc etc

#12 SeanCharles
November 26 2012, 12:44PM
Kevin R wrote:

Ya the worst part of it all was when I bought Swiss tickets for the sole reason of getting my first taste of Baertchi, but he was injured.

#13 Baalzamon
November 26 2012, 01:27PM

One thing I find rather interesting about Pat Sieloff is he seems to draw a lot of instigator penalties. It seems like every time he records a fighting major, someone else is getting tagged with an instigator penalty. Must be those big hits.

#14 Bikeit
November 26 2012, 01:29PM

I saw Kulak play Sat night and he definitely looks like a prospect. Was dominent in the offensive zone at points, heads up smart passer with very good skill. Defensively he looked challenged at points.

#15 Kevin R
November 26 2012, 05:19PM
SeanCharles wrote:

Yeah & wasnt he injured when the Winterhawks played the Hitmen in Calgary too. It was a double wham but at least we got to see him on the Flames for that looksey.

#16 Clay
November 26 2012, 06:24PM
Kevin R wrote:

I bought tickets to the Winterhawks game. Got a look at Wotherspoon.

I left underwhelmed, but dmen take longer, and It's tough to evaluate a dman on such a good team.

#17 SeanCharles
November 27 2012, 08:10AM
Kevin R wrote:

Ya I remember the 3rd game he scored in, I was at the game and I noticed Sutter had Baertschi starting the game. I remember thinking he was gonna score on his first shift, sure enough he stole the puck in the slot and roofed it backhand, it was an epic start to the game..

The best part was when the crowd started chanting his name...

#18 SeanCharles
November 27 2012, 08:14AM

I went to the last game against Anahiem also, and I remember loving the way Aliu played too.

Its refreshing being a flames fan and being hopeful of the future instead of knowing the new guy is a washed up bum (ie: Amonte)