AGD: Double up the Dogs

December 01 2012 02:23PM

Time: 8:00pm

Location: Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre

Broadcast: abbotsfordheat.com, teamradio.ca

Abbotsford scored a convincing victory over the stumbling Hamilton Bulldogs, outshooting them 28-16 and outscoring them 5-1. Sven Baertschi and Roman Horak got back on the scoresheet, while only a Hamilton short-handed goal robbed Barry Brust of yet another shut-out.

One guy who continues to impress is Ben Street. The 25 year old counted another two points last night (goal and assist) and led the team in shots on goal with 7. He now has 17 points in 19 games to co-lead the team with Sven and has garnered an incredible 74 shots on net (3.89/game) which is also tops not only the best on the Heat, but in the whole league. Street is also a guy whose play passes the eye test: whenever I've seen an Abbobtsford game this year, he has stood out as one of the best players on the ice.

Street was never drafted and has never really been a notable scorer at any level, but he's starting to look like one of those rare guys who just figures it out in his mid-20's. I don't know if that will translate into a trip to the NHL or not, but he's certainly proven to be a great addition for Abbotsford so far.

The Lineup

Greg Nemisz did indeed get into game action and the forward units were shuffled as a result.

• Baertschi - Byron - Sylvester
  • Laing - Street - Olson
  • Horak - Walter - Ruesegger
  • Estoclet - Reinhart - Nemisz

• Brodie - Piskula
  • Breen - McCarthy
  • Callahan - Lamb

• Taylor

According to Ryan Pinder, Nemisz skated with Reinhart on the putative 4th line. I don't know if that's simply to ease him into game action after so much time off or a reflection of how the coach rates the player. For Nemisz's sake, I hope it's the former and not the latter.

On another note, I'd start thinking about putting Street and Baertschi together if I was Troy Ward, but may he wants to spread out the attack a bit. They tend to get some time together on the PP thought. It's also notable that Krys Kolanos continues to draw the short straw as the veteran healthy scratch.

Of interest - five of the six goals were scored on special teams last night. Hamilton took 12 minors and Abbotsford took 7. The Heat penalty kill continues to be otherwordly.

The Opponent

Poor Hamilton. Not a juggernaut at the best of time, they spent all night in the penalty box last night which killed any chance they had of making a game of it.

• Blunden - Dumont - Gallagher
  • Pulashaj - Bournival - Holland
  • Leblanc - Boyce - Quailer
  • Hagel - Nattinen - Avtsin

• Tinordi - Ellis
  • Beaulieu - St. Denis
  • Corbin - Nash

• Mayer

Not much more to say about the Canadiens affiliate that wasn't said yesterday. They're in a deep funk right now.

Sum it up

The Heat continue to kick butt and defy the odds. If they can sweep the B2B against the bulldogs tonight, they're 32 points will be 6 more than second place Charlotte.

#1 Clay
December 01 2012, 03:03PM

If I were Feastmode and giving one NHL crack to an AHL contract (outside of the crease), it would be Brett Olson for a bottom six gig. I've quite liked the way he has played this season.

#2 vowswithin
December 01 2012, 04:25PM

Anyone find someone who is streaming this badboy tonight for free? If i find a link I will report back!

#3 vowswithin
December 01 2012, 04:51PM

I won't know till closer to game time %100 if the link works but it was posted today so this should be a go at game time.

I am also going to check out bet365.com someone told me if you open an account and make a deposit (I think 10) you can stream for any event.

Go heat go.

#4 TEDUBS
December 01 2012, 05:26PM

@vowswithin

I'm not sure about Bet365 but there are multiple feeds from numerous websites but they are ALL the same stream. The stream is from AHL live but the commentary is from Fan960, so there is a bit of a lag in the video to the commentary.

Nonetheless, generally, if the game isn't listed on AdtheNet.TV or FirstRowSports, the game won't be streamed on any other copycat site.

As of now, the game isn't listed on AdtheNet.TV but they are known to be late in adding. Last nights' game was posted hours before.

I'd sure like to watch this one as oppose to listening on Fan960.

#5 Baalzamon
December 01 2012, 06:40PM

"It's also notable that Krys Kolanos continues to draw the short straw as the veteran healthy scratch."

It's understandable for me, given that he hasn't been blowing things away like he was last year, and that the alternative is benching Ben Walter or Quintin Laing (the Captain, who has also been playing very well). It astonishes me that Walter has been benched at all this season, frankly.

#6 vowswithin
December 01 2012, 07:09PM

#7 Ryan Pike
December 01 2012, 07:12PM

Bouma, Eddy and Aliu are out with injuries.

Ferland missed last night due to injury, Bancks due to the flu.

Walter and Baertschi left the game last night and didn't return.

Hmmm...

#8 Alt
December 01 2012, 07:15PM
Clay wrote:

Yeh He keeps showing up on the scoresheet.What is the scoop on this kid? He seems to have the tools ,or does he?

#9 Ryan Pike
December 01 2012, 07:50PM

No Baertschi tonight.

#10 Baalzamon
December 01 2012, 07:53PM

astonishingly, Gaudreau doesn't have any points tonight, but Arnold has 2 goals and is 12/5 in the draw.

#11 Sobueno
December 01 2012, 08:10PM
Ryan Pike wrote:

No Baertschi tonight.

Are you telling me the man I drove an hour out to see isn't even playing tonight!?! Noooooo!!!

Still, some hockey is better than no hockey. Go Heat!

#12 TEDUBS
December 01 2012, 09:03PM

@Sobueno

WOW!!! Just tuned in....apparently Baertschi and Walter were benched in the last half of the 3rd last night. Kinda surpising move by Ward, but good on him to show Baertschi that there are two ends of the rink!

#13 Clay
December 01 2012, 10:07PM

I'm actually growing tired of Troy Ward's schtick. It seems as if he needs to be the celebrity of the team. Its not about the Flames, its about him.

Not too sure how his act will be taken by an NHL superstar if he's ever given a job.

#15 Deaner_
December 01 2012, 10:34PM

@Kent Wilson

We're seeing the fruits of Ward's message sending to 2 of the best offensive catalysts on the team............We can't score, or generate anything with out you!!!!!!! Benching is one thing, but making Sven a healthy scratch is moronic.

#16 TEDUBS
December 01 2012, 10:53PM

I have to say, aside from the loss, benching Baertschi was a good thing by Ward.

He has become a defensive liability on the ice. He needs to learn the real game just as Jarome Iginla did once.

A loss is a loss, even without Baertschi on the Heat. Be thankful it wasn't a greater differential!

#17 Baalzamon
December 01 2012, 11:21PM

on a mostly unrelated topic, the Brandon Wheat Kings are really missing Ryan Pulock these days--just got lambasted by the Broncos 5-0 (Coda Gordon, once again, held pointless)

#18 jeremywilhelm
December 02 2012, 12:06AM

Baertschi was a healthy scratch?

Everything I have heard is he was banged up last game.

#20 Sobueno
December 02 2012, 01:08AM

Well that definitely wasn't the best game of choice for me to finally decide to go see the Heat live. I possibly would have yelled profanities at Ward if I knew Baertschi was a healthy scratch and not injured while I was there.

#21 Clay
December 02 2012, 11:23AM

In a meritocracy, 18 skaters would have to have been better than Sven to play (if he wasnt banged up)

Dont see it

#22 FireOnIce
December 02 2012, 02:41PM

Kolanos had a good thing going last season, but as I said then, he's a flash in the pan. He's bounced from team to team and never played more than a few games in the NHL. He's also 31. I am happy that they are letting the kids and younger vets play.

Not good news if Baertschi is hurting, though.

#23 Ryan Pike
December 02 2012, 06:27PM

The Heat benched the top line in the last game they played on the road trip. NOT in the 5-1 win.

Baertschi and Walter were both hurt in Friday's game and missed Saturday due to injury.

#24 RKD
December 02 2012, 09:43PM

Sweet, keep it up guys. Glad Sven and Roman are back on the score sheet. Remember months ago we kept saying who the heck is Ben Street? Maybe the Flames are finding some no name guys who have more talent than we think.