Wotherspoon to Russia, Brossoit back to Edmonton

Ryan Pike
December 14 2012 09:55AM

It's hard to figure out who got the best of the Team Canada World Junior cuts on Thursday evening.

Flames sixth round pick – and WHL playoff MVP – Laurent Brossoit was the last goaltender cut from the selection camp roster, despite allowing only two goals all week. Remaining in camp (and soon to head to Europe) are Malcolm Subban, Jordan Binnington and Jake Paterson.

Subban was shaky, but was considered the presumptive number-one goalie headed in. Despite some hiccups in camp, he's been excellent all year in the OHL and was great both in the summer Summit Series and the Subway Super Series. Brossoit's uneven performances early in the year and in his summer starts likely weren't going to oust Subban, despite him out-dueling him this week.

Beyond that, the main question appeared to be whether it would be useful to bring along a 19-year-old Brossoit to Russia when he wasn't going to be playing. Binnington is the likely back-up and has better numbers this year than Brossoit, while Paterson is just 18 and will benefit from the experience of the trip.

Meanwhile, Brossoit's old atom teammate Tyler Wotherspoon? Instead of heading back to his junior team, he's off to Ufa, Russia as one of Canada's seven blueliners. Also donning the maple leaf are Dougie Hamilton, Scott Harrington, Ryan Murphy, Xavier Ouellet, Griffin Reinhart and Morgan Reilly. Wotherspoon is the lowest-draft pick of all the Canada defenders, but played his way onto the team the same way he's become one of the CHL's tippity-top players in plus/minus – smartly and simply.

Meat and Potatoes

Wotherspoon plays a no-frills game and doesn't have amazing wheels, but he's always in the right place to make the smart play, and that makes him potentially invaluable to a Team Canada club boasting some dynamic offensive defenders. The fact that Wotherspoon made the team and some first round picks (like Mathew Dumba and Derrick Pouliot) didn't shows how far he's progressed since being drafted and how effective he's become at what he does.

So Brossoit heads back to Edmonton and Wotherspoon heads off to Russia. It makes you wonder which is a nicer place to spend your holiday season.

51a8cdc527ce12d222fdc583f3cf4368
Now in his third full season covering the Calgary Flames and the NHL, Ryan Pike is a Calgary native and FlamesNation's managing editor. He's trying to keep his head up, his stick on the ice and is giving it 110% every shift. You can also find his work at The Hockey Writers, the Wrestling Observer and Tough Talk MMA.
#2 David
December 14 2012, 11:27AM

I'm pumped for the world juniors and all the flams prospects that are participating. It's too bad about Laurent Brossoit but I don't find it too discouraging. Many great goalies don't go to the world juniors. A lot of it also depends on the coach and who he is familiar with. I am way more excited by the fact that Tspoon made the team than i am dissapointed that Brossoit got cut.

#3 T&A4Flames
December 14 2012, 11:38AM
David wrote:

Totally agree. If the case was that Brossoit wasn't going to play then it's best he isn't going, and just maybe it pisses him off enough to streamline his focus. I said at the start that if I had to choose between the 2 Flames prospects, I would have rather seen Wotherspoon make it. Either way, congrats to both for the opportunity and to Tspoon for making the team.

Now, onto US camp and hoping that Sieloff joins Gillies and Gaudreau in Ufa.

#4 David
December 14 2012, 12:11PM

@T&A4Flames

I want canada to win gold. But I am definatly more interested in the USA team.

#5 Bikeit
December 14 2012, 12:56PM

I think another good news story is JC Lipon, the undrafted 2nd leading scorer of the WHL and he makes the world Junior team. Goes to show you coaches do not always select teams based on where you were drafted in the NHL. There is always hope.

I think from a flames perspective it was important for Wotherspoon to make it. His development trajectory is definitely going the right way. Flames just might have rolled snake eyes with that Erixon Trade.

#6 Baalzamon
December 14 2012, 01:07PM

@Bikeit

isn't snake eyes usually a bad thing? I can't think of a dice game where 2 1's is a good thing.

Definitely congratulations to Wotherspoon for making the team. Take that, Minnesota Wild!

I believe Sieloff will make the American team for the same reason TSpoon made the Canadian team: they need what he brings to the game. None of the other defensemen in their camp have his physical presence and shutdown game.

#7 David
December 14 2012, 02:22PM

I Love thinking about how Erixon ended up in Columbus.

#8 T&A4Flames
December 14 2012, 06:17PM
Baalzamon wrote:

Wouldn't it be 2 2's (2 second rounders)? Whatever....

Anywho... Regarding the US team. Aren't Trouba, Jones etc solid 2 way fairly physical guys? Sieloff certainly has a solid physical and shut down presence though. And, I think, unlike Dumba, his positioning is solid and picks better spots to throw the BIG HIT. That's my understanding anyway.

#9 T&A4Flames
December 14 2012, 06:18PM
David wrote:

I Love thinking about how Erixon ended up in Columbus.

Me too. It always brings me a chuckle.

#10 Baalzamon
December 14 2012, 06:28PM

@T&A4Flames

oh, Jones and Trouba are great, and both are bigger than Sieloff. I don't think either of them is very physical, at least not nearly as physical as Pat. I could be wrong, of course.

For me, though, Sieloff has a great chance at the roster either way. Jones, Trouba, and Murphy all shoot right. Which leaves all the left-side spots open for Skjei, Sieloff, and probably Gostisbehere. #7 might be McCabe or Reilly.

#11 jeremywilhelm
December 14 2012, 11:33PM

@Ryan Pike

I'd still prefer Erixon.

Who wants to bet that Canada's goaltending is weak point again this year?