GILBERT TRADED TO MIN

Wanye
February 27 2012 12:49PM

Sometimes you name a Goat at the start of the NHL season. Sometimes that Goat gets traded. Sometimes you are happy.

On what has been a pretty unevenful Trade Deadline day so far, the Oilers traded "Edmonton's Fanciest Shoe Wearer 2006-2012" to the Minnesota Wild for Defenceman Nick Schultz.

GILBERT'S REACTION

Gilbert's reaction to the trade can be seen in the clip above gripped from the Oilers website.

YOUR REACTION

People will come along soon enough with quality analysis debating the merits of trading Tom Gilbert - arguably an offensive defenseman - for a defensive defenseman in Schultz.

But in the mean time let us all scream and yell like only Oilers fans on Trade Deadline Day can.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 Shane
February 27 2012, 12:56PM

Its not the first time Tambo has made me shake my head. Im not saying its bad but I'm very concerned.

#2 Walter Sobchak
February 27 2012, 02:53PM

Like I said lateral move, The Oilers have been in last place for 3 years and defense is a major concern going forward, how does this trade make us better?

If the Oilers expect Petry to take the place of Gilbert's ability after one year of NHL game play then I'm afraid they have overvalued there own talent.

#3 Zed
February 27 2012, 05:29PM

Good article. Well written.

#4 rubbertrout
February 27 2012, 01:18PM

Call me if he ADDED a defenceman or goalie. Gilbert has been bar none the best D-man on the squad this year. A lttle grit is good but I thinknwe lost this one. Unless the D on the farm are good enough to replace pretty boy's puck moving (I say no) I think this is more change for the sake of change.

#5 Ryan2
February 27 2012, 01:48PM

If Tambi wanted to move Gilbert, why not package him with a forward prospect contract for something better? This looks like a waste of an asset by the Oilers "braintrust".

Add in the fact that the pro scouting department does not have a stellar track record, and I am very leery about this deal.

#6 Dman09
February 27 2012, 02:17PM
Spydyr wrote:

The front of the Oiler net just got a little less comfortable........and that is not a bad thing

Good thing because they are going to be playing infront of it more often now seeing how Gilbert was the best puck mover this season and Peckham, Barker, and Smid can't move the puck out of the zone without icing it.

#8 gord962
February 27 2012, 02:16PM

I think Tambo could have gotten more for Gilbert. I'll be the first to say I have not been a fan of Gilbert for many years but this season it seems like he grew a pair and figured out what it takes be be a real good defenseman. There should have been a 3rd or 4th round pick coming back in this deal or package Gilbert with a pick/prospect for a better d-man.

#10 Ryan2
February 27 2012, 03:28PM
Talbot17 wrote:

Gilbert is not a top 2 D on any other NHL team, maybe 3 or 4 on some teams, what more do you expect to get? We arguably just got a legitimate top 4 D thats CONSISTENT, unlike a lot of players on this team.

Umm......from what I have read, Schultz is the #5 d-man for the Wild this season. Sounds like we landed another 5/6/7 d-man than another top 4.

#11 dougtheslug
February 27 2012, 12:59PM

Interesting that the reaction depends on your perspective. Check out the minny fan boards - they are just as upset as the oiler boards seem to be. Maybe that means it is a good deal - both sides walk away thinking the other team got the best of it.

#12 Talbot17
February 27 2012, 01:00PM

lol how is this deal bad? people were on Gilbert for ages, now that he is gone and there is sudden change , people get concerned! its hilarous. We got Klefbom coming up soon, potter petry and whitney all being similar D, Gilbert was expendable. I think when you got young stay at home guys like Teubert coming you need more reliability with those stay at home D guys above the offensive D's, so this trade just gives the oilers stability.

#13 Dman09
February 27 2012, 01:09PM

I don't think Tambo understands this whole trade to make your team better concept. That trade shouldn't have had Gilbert in it. It should have been peckham and a prospect and/or picks for Schultz. I don't view this as helping the defense at all its just a trade off of offense from your backend for a more physical player. And this was Gilberts breakout year, stupid move I just don't get it. Gilbert is worth more there should have been a pick involved at least. Tambo is useless.

#14 Velo
February 27 2012, 01:16PM

Not a big fan of this...at all.

#15 Minister D-
February 27 2012, 01:35PM

Seems like a trade based on perceived need in terms of playing styles. I suppose the development of Petry, the (slight) return to form by Whitney, and the oncoming prospects (Marincin, Musil, Davidson, Gernat, etc.) made Gilbert expendable. I know the stats guys don't like Schultz, but he's a "Jason Smith"-type and the Oilers could always use another guy like that. I don't hate the trade exactly and I like what Schultz brings to the table, but Gilbert's a talented player who was rounding into form. I'm sorry we're going to miss it.

#17 Ryan2
February 27 2012, 01:43PM

Don't know much about Schultz, but I have seen several comments re: his slow skating. Overpaying for another slow d-man from Minnesota over the summer worked out so well thus far that Tambi could not resist going back for another.

#18 Spydyr
February 27 2012, 02:08PM

#19 Dman09
February 27 2012, 02:29PM
Talbot17 wrote:

Plus if Smid ever got hurt, we would be SCREWED. At least Schultz gives a Smid-like stability back there, Gilbert injury really opened the door for Petry. Next year we won't even be talking about this trade anymore cause it'll pay dividends long term.

Schultz has been a consistently negative player on one of the better if not top defensive teams in the league. At least Gilbert had an excuse as he is more about the offense and has played on the worst team in the league for the last 5 years.

#20 Thinker
February 27 2012, 05:01PM

Hemsky: cmon please sign me ill take anything Tambo: 5 mil for two (he'll never take it and we can trade him for picks that wont turn out) Hemsky: ok i want be oiler Tambo:what!!!! *fans applaud move Tambo: well now what i gotta do sumthin. *enter minesota Min- we want gilbert, well give u shultz Tambo: well we need defense, shultz is way better right Min- well actually they're about even except shultz doesn't have any offense Tambo: ill do it(thank god i was starting to get a good rep)

Honestly what were we thinking. Stupid,stupid,stupid.

#21 Dutchscooter
February 27 2012, 05:47PM
Dman09 wrote:

I would have offered Minny Peckham + Chorney/Plante + 4th rounder maybe a littel more. The only way I would have moved Gilbert is for a much better Defenseman even if you did have to add more than just Gilbert, this just doesn't make the team any better.

So, you would have traded Minnesota parts that can't/won't play on a 29th/30th place team for a legit NHL defensive dman?

Oh yeah, I see general managers JUMPING at your trades.

#23 Wax Man Riley
February 27 2012, 12:50PM

BAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! GAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!! BLAAAARRRRRRGGGGGG!!!!

and fist

#24 Wax Man Riley
February 27 2012, 12:52PM
Wax Man Riley wrote:

BAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! GAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!! BLAAAARRRRRRGGGGGG!!!!

and fist

Well then smart guy.......Put this in your pipe and BE BETTER NEXT TIME!*

*That's what she said**

**To Tom Gilbert

#26 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
February 27 2012, 12:56PM

Sad to see Gilbert go, but at least it was a hockey trade. Schultz is a quality Dman from what I can gather.

Too bad we couldn't have both.

#27 Bucknuck
February 27 2012, 01:00PM

I think the Oilers lose this trade based on the on-ice aspect of it. Though the more I read about Schultz the more I see a veteran leader personality. I don't think Gilbert has that so much, so maybe it will be good for team chemistry or something.

I was glad that the Oilers at least got another body coming back instead of the player for prospects thing I was dreading.

#28 hunkybill
February 27 2012, 01:05PM

What is schultz cap hit

#29 freeze
February 27 2012, 01:06PM
hunkybill wrote:

What is schultz cap hit

$3.5M

#30 A-Mc
February 27 2012, 01:09PM

Only time will tell! Its too bad we cant see shultz in action tonight.

#31 Dman09
February 27 2012, 01:14PM

And what the hell is with TSN have they ever heard of buffering because their streaming is complete sh*t. I can't stream their show more than 30 secs at a time and then it cuts out for 45secs. Yet I can go and stream a full HD movie no problem.

#32 Lochenzo
February 27 2012, 01:14PM

If they made this move because they are handing the ball over the Petry (top 4 mobile D with a right hand shot) then this is a good move.

Hope they are not basing it on Potter's play.

#33 Shane
February 27 2012, 01:16PM

Wow I can't believe we made the biggest move on deadline day and still have Hemsky, what a weird trade deadline this year

#34 VK63
February 27 2012, 01:19PM

Well... as far as future goats go. Schultz has all the markings.

#35 Dman09
February 27 2012, 01:21PM

#36 HOFFFF
February 27 2012, 01:25PM

I agree with Wanye and many others...good riddance. He's from Minnesota and was probably homesick. Shultz is a Warrior.

#37 SourGrapes
February 27 2012, 01:34PM

Gilbert's stick - where good plays go to die, especially in the defensive zone.

I like this trade though am surprised it was the only one.

#38 Zen
February 27 2012, 01:39PM

Zach Kassian to Vancouver for Cody Hodgson , Edmonton should have a philosophy like this. Edm likes small forwards see how that works in the playoffs

#39 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
February 27 2012, 01:39PM

This trade is confusing. It addresses a hole (sort of) on the D while more or less opening up another (kinda). Like Lochenzo up there said, they better be planning on deferring Gilbert's role to Petry, because now we're out our best "offensive" D-man. The Oilers site has Gilbert and Petry tied at 17 points this year, which could be a good omen. I think Petry has more natural talent and ability than Gilbert, he's just gotta finish rounding his game out, a-la Smid.

Petry has been playing 20+ minutes a night for a little while now, maybe management already sees him as a viable top 4?

#40 Karth
February 27 2012, 01:44PM

Good trade. Gilbert's not a fierce competitor. He is a good top 4 defenceman but you watch his interviews and you see a lack of compete. Watch Whitney or hall post game and compare that to Gilbert. If you look across the dressing room floor you gotta be able to look at a guys eyes and see that he is giving it his all. My gut feeling- no facts to base this on.

#41 Ryan2
February 27 2012, 01:46PM

Re: All the comparisons to Jason Smith - he ended up being too slow to play post-lockout. That is what worries me the most. If Schultz has skating issues then he is too small to make a difference. Add in the fact that I have seen a lot of comments that he is a #5 d-man for the wild, and it does not make sense unless he somehow becomes a much better player over the next few months.

#42 Walter Sobchak
February 27 2012, 01:52PM

@Dman09

I couldn't agree more, how does this move make the Oilers better? I see this as a lateral move, no better, no worse. If the Oilers could have kept Gilbert and added Shultz then it would have been a win.

#43 Talbot17
February 27 2012, 01:55PM

@Walter Sobchak

I'd agree lateral for sure, but i think its easier for a skilled D to come into the mix than a defensive minded young guy like Teubert to consistently be good on a night by night basis, so in getting Schultz you get stability. Klefbom is coming up soon and you hope Potter and Petry can fill the type of game Gilbert brought. But i agree with you its more lateral for now.

#44 michael
February 27 2012, 02:01PM

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

#45 Talbot17
February 27 2012, 02:03PM
michael wrote:

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

EEEEeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

#46 Oilcruzer
February 27 2012, 02:05PM

Maybe Clutterbuck will stop running our players now. Schultzie was his favorite team mate.

#47 Eulers
February 27 2012, 02:07PM

I'm still angry about this trade. At the very least, we should have had a prospect coming our way. #FireTambo

#48 Oilcan
February 27 2012, 02:14PM

Tough call to say who wins. The funny thing is Oiler fans are all against Gilbert then he is traded and we complain but if we kept him I would guarantee people would be on here next year saying we should have traded Gilbert while is value was high.

I don't think it hurts us or makes us much better. But from comments of teammates in Minny sounds like Shultz is a heart and soul guy.

#49 Talbot17