Setting Up The Play: Pet Peeves

Justin Azevedo
March 15 2012 04:37AM

It's been a while since we've done one of these.

Every game I see one or two things that players do that just make me cringe. I'm not sure if it's coaching or mismanagement or guys just not thinking, but it seems to me that there's way more peewee level mistakes this year than last-and that really grinds my gears. When you're getting paid millions of dollars, you don't get to make those types of mistakes.

- There's a saying that my coaches (usually my father) drilled into me as a young defenseman - "off the glass or it's your ass". It annoys me when I see a player try to force the puck through an opponent on the boards instead of putting it where the other guy can't get it. Inevitably, the defender or whomever blocks the puck with his body, regains possession and your forwards are caught in transition heading towards the neutral zone because they thought the Flames guy passing the puck would be able to get it out. Obviously, the best example here was the last goal scored in last year's first round series between Vancouver and Chicago:

Instead of putting it high off the glass, Campoli causally flips the puck almost right to Burrows-resulting in the winning goal. Now, someone won't score on these every game (hell, most won't even wind up as chances) but they're still dangerous. While there is an argument that players are more reluctant to put a puck off the glass because of the potential delay-of-game penalty, my counter to that is an NHL player has no excuse for not being confident in their ability to accurately place a puck within a 5 by 5 box.

- Players who leave the puck stationary on the cycle. The point of the cycle is to move the puck between players in a manner that will tire the other team out by making the puck do the hard movement for you. Leaving the puck in the open creates an excellent situation for the opponents in that you can easily lose possession and depending on the depth of the cycle, have an odd-man rush go back the other way.

- Slapping the stick on the ice when calling for a pass. This is just a little tic that I'm sure only I have, but it poses two risks: a stick slapping makes the same sound regardless if it's from your team or your opponents, and sometimes slapping a stick on the ice can leave you ill-prepared for a pass because your stick isn't on the ice (thanks, Charlie).

- Lack of notifications from the bench. I guess this isn't totally a player thing, but once in a while I see risky passes right as power plays are about to end blow up in player's faces. Example:

There needs to be some semblance of verbal communication between the bench and the ice, simply because players often don't have either the presence of mind to look up at the scoreboard or the time to do so. It's a cliché but you need to talk when you're on the ice.

What about you guys? Any specific pet peeves you have?

A9d138d0e612f28cd46f9b7057ed715d
Justin is a 23-year-old Flames fan who also happens to be pursuing a double major at the University of Calgary. He has played hockey at high levels, enjoys wearing shorts and tends to drink far too much Grasshopper. Please don't hate him.
#1 ChinookArch
March 15 2012, 06:39AM

04:37 AM. Little late on a school night isn't it JA?

March 15 2012, 08:30AM

Shots from outside the scoring area that go high and wide on the PP and end up rimming the boards and exiting the zone.

#4 Subversive
March 15 2012, 09:33AM

I still don't understand the whole wearing pants thing. What's to enjoy about it?

#5 xis10ce
March 15 2012, 09:43AM

Breaking into the zone 2on1 (or w/e) and you shoot right at the crest on the goalies chest. Great way to difuse the momentum in your favour going from a odd man rush to a faceoff.

Aim low, hit a pad, make a rebound, keep the play going FFS!

#6 Robert Vollman
March 15 2012, 09:56AM

Excessive celebration always get to me.

New penalty: In a post-goal celebration a player can only use the momentum generated before the goal. Any additional strides are unsportsmanlike, unless it's a one-goal game in the 3rd period.

Also, diving. I call this one the Tarasenko/Lecavalier rule.

New rule: If play is stopped due to player injury, that player can not play the rest of the game.

This similar to football. Ostensibly it's to protect the player - if he's hurt so badly that play must stop and he has to be carried off the ice, for his own protection he shouldn't play any more.

We all know that some players pretend they're this badly hurt on purpose, but I think these players went beyond the boundaries of simple diving into a place where they were trying to manipulate the circumstances of the game. This will put a stop to that.

It also sends a good message to the kids who are watching: don't play when you're hurt. That star player who played when he was hurt? Wasn't really hurt. He was faking.

#7 xis10ce
March 15 2012, 10:00AM
Robert Vollman wrote:

Excessive celebration always get to me.

Also, diving. I call this one the Tarasenko/Lecavalier rule.

Anisimov comes to mind for your first rule.

#9 JF
March 15 2012, 12:12PM

Egregious Too Many Men Penalties... as much as there is no excuse for not being confident in your ability to put a puck within a 5 by 5 box there is even less for not being able to count.

#10 ChinookArch
March 15 2012, 01:11PM

@Robert Vollman

That is a good idea!

#11 Ryan Pike
March 15 2012, 06:41PM

I played two years of defense and then a few years on left wing, so the one thing I tend to notice is players looking for the outlet pass in the neutral zone being in a position that basically forces the D-man to make a dumb "up the middle" pass.

For Pete's sake, forwards, try to make it easy for your blueliners to not give the puck away.

March 15 2012, 06:47PM