Jarome Iginla Trade Scenarios Open Thread

April 28 2012 11:30AM

The idea of trading Jarome Iginla has been kicked around and debated for years. This thread is not to discuss the potential merits or possibility of such a move however - merely to establish what readers and fans would consider a good, realistic return for the Flames captain if he was hypothetically dealt this summer.

As such, I'd like everyone to add their ideal (but still plausible) package in the comment section. Meaning, let's avoid suggestions Iggy should be dealt for Giroux, Crosby or Malkin. If everyone sticks to at least semi-realistic scenarios, we can maybe construct an "average" potential return out of all the suggestions.

Some info to provide context for your hypothetical trades

- Iginla has a NTC, so it's unlikely he would accept deals to teams without a reasonable chance of winning in the short term.

- His cap hit is $7M next year, the last year of his current contract. His destination team must be able to absorb his contract or be able to move money in the deal in order to do so. Capgeek.com and NHLNumbers.com are your friends.

- The rumored return for Iginla to LAK was Wayne Simmonds, a draft pick and Brayden Schenn not too long ago. Seeing as the Kings later traded Schenn and Simmonds for Mike Richards, we can reasonably assume there was some fire to go with that smoke. It therefore makes sense to use that rumor as an "anchor" for your suggestions.

- Iginla will turn 35 years old on July 1. He's in great shape, but this is the age where even great players usually start to suffer a real drop in performance.

Again, this isn't a debate over whether the Flames should or will trade Iginla. Just a look at reasonable, hypothetical trade scenarios to spark a discussion and maybe get an idea of Iginla's potential value. Fans of other teams are welcome to weigh in since a variety of perspectives is useful.

And that's it. If this exercise proves interesting we can discuss the best suggestions and then repeat it in a week or so with Kipper.

#51 Kevin R
April 29 2012, 06:23PM

@thymebalm: I would pee myself if we could do that deal, no way anaheim does that unfortunately. @ketchupkid: Do you mean that Jordan Staal would even be available or that Calgary wouldnt have a hope. Heard on a few panels of sportsnet that Staal has said he wants a bigger role but would never ask for a trade. Seeing he's a UFA at the end of next year, you do the math. To say Calgary couldnt acquire him with a package with Iggy,whatever turns you on.

Rex: Backlund is only 23 with really 1 year injury season under his belt but NHL proven with good possession numbers. He would be a perfect fit, of course a downgrade from Staal, but thats the problem, he's not a 3rd line player. Could be one of the good future problems the Oilers will have with all their top prospects & draft picks.

#52 RexLibris
April 29 2012, 06:32PM

@Kevin R

I think Backlund, at this stage of his career and given his overall game, would be a good fit at 3rd line center. Backlund, as opposed to Gagner, has the size and defensive acumen early in his career to survive and thrive there. Gagner is coming to that stage now after being in the league for five years.

I agree that the Oilers are going to have problems finding spots for some players, perhaps. But think of it this way, if the the Oilers have to debate whether Pitlick or some other prospect is getting enough ice time behind Yakupov and Eberle on the RW that's a good place to be.

Using Staal as an example, he's probably one of the best 2nd-line centers in the league. The Penguins have the luxury of perhaps trading a top center for roster depth. If the Oilers are fortunate enough that they can find themselves in a similar position on the wing someday I have no problem with that.

#53 Mitch2
April 29 2012, 09:27PM
KetchupKid wrote:

I can't believe the number of people that think Jordan Staal is attainable. You guys just made my day.

Why don't you look a little further down the Cap horizion for Pittsburgh and tell me if he is more important than resigning Crosby, Malkin, Letang?

J. Staal is also vastly underpaid. He could probably sign on at 6 million.

Now tell me how Shero makes his Cap work? With Iginla he can plan or even negotiate an extension during the trade. Not unrealistic to see Jarome signing for a 4 million Cap hit on extension.

The Flames could pay J. Staal a 6 million Cap hit. The Pens can't, not given their pay to Crosby, Malkin and Letang. That is why Staal could be available, the Pens won't be able to afford to resign him.

#54 DieHard
April 29 2012, 09:36PM

I have no idea the exact return but given Iginla's age and contract value, I can't see a trade during the summer. Why would a team bring Iginla for one year at 7M with no guarantee of extension. I see great value at the trade deadline but for picks and prospects only. The guy has a couple of years left. Why does a team send someone like Hamilton, a top prospect away. It will be a late first plus a couple mid range prospects

#55 RexLibris
April 30 2012, 10:55AM

@DieHard

I think it largely depends on the timing and what Feaster has prioritized (or been told to prioritize) in the return.

I agree that your valuation is certainly within the range for Iginla as of today. And like you say his value would likely increase on deadline day, depending on his play and health at that time. Historically he is a healthy player who increases his production as the season progresses.

While I agree that Dougie Hamilton + for Iginla is a pipe dream and one that Flames fans had best divest themselves of or suffer grave disappointment, the Staal/Iginla move has some interesting merit. It would allow Feaster to claim to be getting younger and still stick to his "win it now" mantra.

I believe you are a fellow Oilers fan so I will ask you this: how do you suppose Flames fans would react if Iginla were traded for a package similar to, or even less than, what Dustin Penner received? Personally, I think gnashing of teeth and rending of flesh would probably be an understatement.

#56 shutout
April 30 2012, 01:36PM

My belief is that the best fit for organization and player will be the Detroit Red Wings. The Wings have lots of cap space freed up this summer and the speculation is that they will try to spend it on Parise and Suter. However, regardless of the past success of the Wings, they are a team that is getting pretty old and is lacking the youthful stars for the future. I think therefore that Parise and Suter will pass on Detroit and sign elsewhere.

Lidstrom is 42, Datsyuk will be 34, Zetterberg will be 32 and Iginla will be 35. I think that Lidstrom can be convinced to come back for another year if the team looks at making another push to win it all. I think that one year left gives Iginla a chance to see what a different (and highly respected) franchise is like, and I think that a one year deal for Iginla gives the Wings a chance for one more push and an opportunity to work with Iginla to see if he is worth keeping. I think that if Iginla is as well respected around the league that his presence will help to provide some more motivation to a core group that has already experienced winning and he provides them with some goalscoring support.

Detroit is not going to give up on a prospect that is already good enough to play in the NHL, so unfortunantly I dont think that they will be able to get Nyquist in a deal. However I think that Tatar is the prospect that we should look at. Tatar is an offensive player that has been brought up in the Detroit philosophy of 200' responsible play. He has offensive talents and good speed and understanding of the game. 24 goals and 57 points this last year and the year before in the AHL.

To Detroit Red Wings : Jarome Iginla

To Calgary Flames : 2012 first round draft pick, Tomas Tatar, Xavier Ouellet

#57 backburner
April 30 2012, 07:36PM

To the Blues: Iginla, 14th overall pick, Irving

To the Flames: Halak, Rattie, and Oshie.

Booked it.

#58 MarktheFlamesFan
May 01 2012, 06:48PM

Jarome to St Lous makes a lot of sense to me IF St Loo decides to continue to lay an egg in this second round, they lose to LA this playoffs and they will be a piece away from being a favourite next year... that piece.. Jarome Iginla

So here is my proposition for the offseason for which me (being a flames fan and wanting a MAJOR REBUILD) would be ecstatic.

To St Louis: Iggy, Backlund and a 2nd Round Pick

To Calgary: Jaden Schwartz, Christ Stewart

I would be more than thrilled about this trade and this would give St Louis a complete three lines with Andy McDonald being the happiest (and most underrated) centre in the league to be able to set up Jarome.

St Loo has enough prospects in the making they can afford to lose a good one in Schwartz and I think Stewart is a great hockey player in the wrong atmosphere. I can only hope Feaster will really try and work a deal like this out and then ship Kipper to whoever misses out on Luongo (Chicago?)

We can only hope an Iggy for Schwartz trade is possible and then signing Parise could be a major step to righting this sinking ship as soon as possible.

Here's to wishful thinking *cracks a tallboy*