Dreger: Backlund and Bouwmeester on the Block

June 18 2012 05:24PM

File this under "disconcerting" -TSN's Darren Dreger reported today the Flames may be shopping Mikael Backlund and Jay Bouwmeester. Here's the pertinent passage:

The Calgary Flames have a new coaching staff and a willingness to consider all trade scenarios not including Jarome Iginla or Miikka Kiprusoff.

Like most teams, the Flames are looking for a Top 6 forward - ideally, a centre. Mikael Backlund and Jay Bouwmeester are among those the Flames would trade. But with two years remaining at a whopping $6.7 million per season, Bouwmeester is going to be a tough sell.

From where I stand, a willingness to trade anyone but Iginla and Kipper is eactly the opposite stance the club should be taking heading into this off-season, particularly bodies like Jay Bouwmeester and Mikael Backlund. While both guys had rather disappointing seasons last year, there are number of reasons moving them doesn't make a lot of sense for the club.

In JayBo's case, he almost singlehandedly handles the hard minutes for the Flames on the back-end. So unless Calgary is planning on landing Suter as a free agent this summer, deleting Bouwmeester from the blueline would create a huge hole that could not be filled internally. On top of all that, he's not even 30 years old yet so likely has a number of effective years left in him.

It's common to assert that a Kipper or Iginla trade would signal the begin of a true rebuild,however, I contend moving Bouwmeester for a forward or futures would be a pretty sure step in that direction. He's overpaid and underwhelming offensively to be sure, but is a few miles ahead of other Flames defensive options.

As for Backlund, trading him would delete the lone NHL-ready skater Calgary has in the important 23-28 age range up front (who isn't merely a capable AHLer or bottom-six forward for life). In addition, given his poor shooting luck and rotten counting numbers from last season, dealing Backs now would be a classic case of selling low on an asset that is bound to improve in value. Whats more, Backlund should be pretty cheap to re-sign this summer, so he doesn't have the added baggage of a bad contract like JayBo.

Of course, I don't really consider anyone on the Flames roster to be sacrosanct, so if Feaster manages to turn a Backlund or Bouwmeester into a real improvement, more poweer to him. That said, the fact that the team has potentially under valued 20-somethings on the block instead of their doddering (but marketable) core players (assuming Darren Dreger is right) is not terribly encouraging.

#1 Colin
June 18 2012, 06:01PM

Jagr??? What the hell is the point of that? Because of Cervenka, so what happens if Cervenka is useless, are we gonna have Jagr leave us to?? Thats just asking for disaster. Thats not smart management, that is gambling, straight gamble and it's not going to work, betting on a 41 year old Jagr, an aging Iggy and Kipper is NOT going to work. Especially if the other half holds true that they are trading Bouwmeester and Backlund, they are both on the right side of 30. Backlund has shown an ability to not only play well in the NHL but to dominate possesion, isn't that the kind of style of play they are always preaching, puck possession???

And trading Bouwmeester makes me want to punch Feaster in his smug face. I don't give a crap if he is over paid, he is over paid by 1M, maybe 1.5 TOPS. He is a #1 defender, #2 at worst, eats minutes and for the most part does a damn good job at it, sure the offense hasn't been there. However this year he was actually on pace early in the year to have his best offensive year in Calgary till his numbers began to fall off.

Feaster sure as hell better be getting some seriously good picks for 2013 back, because if these rumors all hold true we should easily be drafting #1 overall.

#2 Clyde
June 18 2012, 09:26PM

Enough of the Boumeester bashing. If we were a contender, he would be an irreplaceable piece. Let's see what happens. If we decide to ride the same old horse again, I am ok watching WHL hockey next year. But maybe, just maybe Jay is going to turn Kipper and/or Iggy into some great assets for the future and we are going to try to look at competing rather than this Groundhog day bs we have been exposed to for far too long.

#3 PrairieStew
June 18 2012, 09:28PM

The only deal for Backlund is one where we add a prospect of equal upside or a top 10 pick.

#4 Stockley
June 18 2012, 10:14PM

I really don't think the Flames will get anywhere near fair value for either of the players rumored to be on the block. JayBo has been offensively invisible for the last 3 years (he averaged more goals per year in his final three years in Florida than he has total in Calgary). Backlund appears to be made out of glass, constantly hurt while showing glimpses that he could be anywhere from a 1st line to 3rd line forward and never staying healthy enough to answer any questions about his true potential.

Never wise to deal from a position of weakness. Bo could be a victim of a defensive system installed by the Sutters, a system that stifled his offensive potential. I'm curious what he can do under a coach that preaches a more up-tempo/offensive style.

#5 Bean-counting cowboy
June 18 2012, 10:33PM

Change for the sake of change is not wise management. Trading young players in that key age group & keeping old vets - not wise management.

If this is true & Jordan Staal is not coming our way, I'm going to start looking rather longingly at those bulging veins on my wrists.

#6 If Only HIs Name Was Olli Postandin
June 18 2012, 10:51PM

I`m really ambivalent about Backs. It seems like he may become a second line center, but either he has horrible accuracy or is snake-bitten. Unfortunately, like others have mentioned he doesn`t stay healthy enough for us to find out.

Quite frankly, if we can get another project with similar upside at another position, I say go for it. As far as I am concerned, he`s taking either Max Reinhart`s spot as 2nd center anyways, or that of Bill Arnold on the third line. Both guys are a couple of years away from full-time duty, but they play the same type of intelligent two-way game with more grit, if a little less flash (or lack thereof, so far).

Just don`t trade Backs to recoup are second. That will put me into a murderous rage -one that my employees will have to endure for at least a week.

#7 Sincity1976
June 18 2012, 11:04PM

I think Bouwmeester may want to be moved. He is a UFA in a couple of seasons, his value is rotting, and you have to think he actually wants to make the playoffs.

#8 Jasta
June 18 2012, 05:26PM

Not sure this is the time to trade Backlund. Too much upside still. However if we want this roster to look different Feaster will need to take some risks

#9 Ryan Pike
June 18 2012, 05:29PM

They're really going after Seth Jones or Nathan MacKinnon next year, aren't they?

Seriously, though, it ENTIRELY depends on the return. But the team needs to ADD a top-four defender, not throw away their top minutes-eating guy.

#10 Tears of RED
June 18 2012, 05:32PM

File it under "bad management" if the Dreger rumour comes to fruition. But as Kent says, let's see what the returns are before we can truely judge. However, safe to say that both assets will be undervalue due to bad counting stats (Backs) and a high salary in Jbo's case.

#11 Craig
June 18 2012, 05:33PM

This scares me a lot, I will be really disappointed if Backlund gets traded, his value is low right now so what we would get in return would likely be peanuts. In my opinion trading him would be a step backwards.

#13 Austin
June 18 2012, 05:38PM

Wouldn't it be intellectual honesty to have both Iggy and Kipper on the block come draft day? And why Backlund.....

#14 Alt
June 18 2012, 05:38PM

Kipper makes the most sense where a trade is concerned.Biggest bang for your buck.

#15 flamesburn89
June 18 2012, 05:39PM

I guess what most of us have been dreading might be slowly coming to pass. Can't say I'm surprised. The Flames management seems to be loking for the quick fix. Trying to sign top free agents to mammoth deals, shopping a young and still developing centreman,and trying to deal the teams defensive workhorse is not a recipe for success. Backlund and Bouwmeester are the teams future, and I can't say the same for Iggy or Kipper. Obviously dealing JBOuw would result in a ton of cap space, but what would the FLames to with it? Sign Parise or Suter? Yeah right, those guys aren't coming here. If Feaster wants to make the playoffs, how can he deal a guy who is the Flames' defensive stalwart and a guy who is bound to see his luck change?

#16 Kevin R
June 18 2012, 05:39PM

Anytime I start to hope we have intelligence emmerging & I get these kind of scares. I can see JBO getting traded cap hit exceeds perceived value. Whatever, I get & we'll pay for that move in some scary games next year. Backlund I dont know, but if he's part of a greater good, then lets see the deal & then go from there. Would Pitt be into JBO at all? Saw Flames were at play in the Staal sweepstakes & wonder if JBO, Backlund & our 1st(14th) for Staal & Pitts 1st(20th I think) & a salary dump like Martin. Then OK. Feaster rocks.

June 18 2012, 05:39PM

If Backlund gets traded I hope he busts out something north of 60 points next season in a nice big "f- you" to Feaster.

#19 Ryan Pike
June 18 2012, 05:43PM

My question regarding Jagr is this: why would this work?

I mean, Cervenka hasn't played a minute in North America. We have guys on the roster right now that have North American experience and have shown an ability to do fairly well. Why curtail their ice-time in an effort to get Cervenka and a 41-year-old clicking?

#20 Mark
June 18 2012, 05:46PM

I'd be really sad if any of this was true... #failforMackinnon please and get YOUNGER!! We need Iggy and Kipper to replenish our cupboards not lead us to a 13th in the west finish!!! Really hope the ever reliable Dreger is hanging on a bad source hear :( if we sign Jagr we might as well pursue the Dominator too :)

June 18 2012, 05:53PM

Well this is the first I've heard regarding Backlund, but JBo rumours have been running around for a few days, now. Smoke, fire, etc.

#22 Graham
June 18 2012, 05:55PM

Two very lose/lose scenarios. I guess "buy low, sell high" is a foreign concept to the Flames

#23 flamesburn89
June 18 2012, 05:56PM

For what its worth, Bob Mckenzie has Cody Ceci ranked 14th on his draft list. I heard Pat Steinberg talking to and about him today. I'll be very intrigued if he's still there at 14.

#24 MC Hockey
June 18 2012, 06:22PM

Since I have been convinced of Backlund's value via advanced stats and the FLames seem to use them, I think Dreger is getting bad info....well at least I hope. And as I have stated before, players ofdten hit their stride statistically (counting stats) in year 4 of their careers. Perhaps Jay Feaster is feeding rumors out there just to stir the pot and check on value for JBo and Backlund, the sly bugger! I don't mind JBo leaving but ONLY if we get a Suter or something simlar (perhaps Carle or Wideman) and perhaps another young stay-at-home veteran D-man in free agency as we have enough mobility/puck-moving tlent I think...otherwise keep JBo for his Pacman-like ability with minutes. I thought Barret Jackman would have been nice here but he stayed for zero to little raise in St Louis.

#25 Baalzamon
June 18 2012, 06:24PM

guys, this is DREGER. Not Feaster, not Conroy, not Weisbrod, not even Millions. It's a guy who has NO CONNECTION with the team WHATSOEVER. None. At all. This is 100% speculation on his part. There are a lot of casual fans who want the Flames to trade Backlund because "he's terrible" "he's soft" or other nonsense like that. Why should we expect Dreger to look past the counting numbers (and +/-) for either Bouwmeester or Backlund when no one else does? It's not Dreger's opinion that matters. It's Feaster's, Conroy's, and Weisbrods (and King's, I guess).

#26 Justin Azevedo
June 18 2012, 06:28PM
Colin wrote:

colin, spitting hot fire of truth right hurr.

upon reflection, this is my favourite comment ever posted on this site.

#27 RossCreekNation
June 18 2012, 06:30PM

Depends entirely on the return. I agree that deleting Bouwmeester makes this a worse hockey team... maybe that's the plan? That said, maybe they want to shed salary? Maybe they want to try & move up in the draft? Maybe they want Nathan MacKinnon? Maybe they're looking to FINALLy landing a centre for Iginla to play with (too little, too late). I don't know. What I do know, is this entire regime has me in "wait-and-see" mode (and has for the last 12 months).

I'm not as high as most of the stats crowd on Backlund. Nor am I as low as the Walker's et al. I'd certainly have no problem moving him, but as has been pointed out, its likely in a "sell low" scenario which isn't great. Perhaps there's a team that see's him for what he is - a 3rd line two-way centre - and is willing to give true value for him?

Should be an interesting week. Let the fireworks begin!

#28 everton fc
June 18 2012, 06:32PM

To some degree it does. But why is the team not looking to leverage assets whose past far outweighs their future? Whose reputation probably outstrips their utility?

On that note, Dreger also says the Flames might make a pitch to Jaromir Jagr in July. 41 year old Jaromir Jagr because he played with Cervenka in the past or something.

I really hope Dreger is blowing smoke.

Just this morning I posted I was beginning to get a positive vibe from Feaster.

To me, dealing JBo is not as huge a risk, if the goal is Suter, or some other d-man. Or, if they want to move both for someone like Statsny. I've never been overly impressed with Backlund. Perhaps he only has an upside. Perhaps he's the next Dustin Boyd? Who knows...

What does concern me is going after an aging Jagr. Rumours still float about picking up Lecavlier, as well. Feaster appears to be a guy who goes back to the past to build. Nothing new. Original.

Just a perception....???

June 18 2012, 07:04PM

Backlund's already twice the player Boyd was - actually, that might be a disservice to Backlund. Absolute worst case scenario (barring injuries), he ends up about the equivalent of Moss.

#30 Kevin R
June 18 2012, 07:33PM

I'm not hitting the Crown Royal too quick here, like Baalzamon says, its just a rumour for a fan base desperate for positive change & we tend to over react. Let's see what the deal is then we get the rope & lynch mob ready.:-)

#31 Casey
June 18 2012, 07:35PM
Baalzamon wrote:

They don't come much more connected or respected than Darren Dreger. He may not be on the Flames payroll, but he knows a LOT of people and when he talks, people listen. I'll take Dreger's opinion over 95% of the media.

#32 RexLibris
June 18 2012, 07:39PM

That'd certainly be a step in a direction. I'm not going to say in which direction, as I think most fans here have made it pretty clear what they think of it.

The very first thing that went through my mind when I read the article's title was "right, trade the young guys and keep the over-35s". Not good.

In the end we will have to wait to see what a potential return might be and take a long-term perspective.

If they are moved in anything similar to the Cammalleri deal I would strongly suggest an article here on FN where fans could suggest titles for their own rebuilding documentary. "Rekindling the Flame?", "Ignite!"? Just some suggestions.

I think fans should also remember that this is draft week when all the GMs get together and get drunk on potential and possibilities. It could be nothing more than rumours and intrigue based on exploratory talks.

#33 RexLibris
June 18 2012, 07:41PM

@Casey

I would also take what Dreger says at more of a face value than Feaster or anyone in Flames management.

Dreger's career isn't based on spin and message control. Management, any sports management, on the other hand...

#34 Colin
June 18 2012, 07:41PM

@Justin, glad I could make that comment for you, I don't think you realize how pissed I am that both are targets of possible trades. And for what exactly? Backlund is probably a deal sweetner and Bouwmeester will most likely be a salary dump and why do we need that extra salary??? For what, the great white whale chase of 2012, Suter? That is never happening, at best he entertains the offer, at worst he makes us take a contract that is even worse off than bouwmeesters and like most UFA deals, he fails to deliver.

Now just to decided what to do with my Bouwmeester jersey, cut it up and send it to Feaster? Burn it on Youtube, that always gets a great reaction. Or make a franken jersey and get it on Jersery foul???

#35 RexLibris
June 18 2012, 07:56PM

@Colin

Keep the Bouwmeester jersey, he hasn't done anything wrong.

Maybe go Risebrough/Semenko on a Feaster jersey.

#36 Q
June 18 2012, 07:57PM

I love the idea of losing these guys! Too much upside to backlund? Are you kidding me! He's had every yr since the draft to show us upside! Who cares about jaybo eating minutes! He's aweful! Time to make a name for yourself mr. Feaster and get these guys outta here and rePlace em with new face!

#37 Potlicker
June 18 2012, 08:31PM

Hilarious! Its getting to the fun time of year. I love these sights in June & February. I got drunk for a week after we resigned Joker & the TSN panels were laughing at us. I hope this is a joke about Jagr & trading our younger guys. Sad thing is how many people are mortified that these reports are true.

#38 doughboy
June 18 2012, 08:42PM

The argument that they shouldn't trade Bouwmeester because he "plays a lot of minutes" is bogus. Who will take his minutes? Anyone who is willing to finish his checks I hope...

#39 T&A4Flames
June 18 2012, 08:51PM

If there is any truth to this then I say start warming up the band to welcome our new 1st line center, Jordan Staal! Seriously, this just makes a ton of sense. PIT was complaining about their D hurting them in the PO. Something like JBo and Backs for Staall and a salary dump like Martin or preferably Michalek. Hey, maybe we get a 2nd rounder thrown in ala Robyn Regher. I'm on board if that were to happen. I just hope we could sign Staal to a long term deal if it happens. Otherwise, we screwed ourselves. Got take chances though.

#40 Colin
June 18 2012, 09:19PM

@Doughboy, so you are okay with giving those minutes to Babchuk? Cause that's a great idea, just because Bouwmeester doesn't throw the big hits like Sarich doesn't mean he should be thrown under the bus. The reason why a guy like Doughty was in consideration for the Conn Smythe wasn't because he hit a lot of people, it's because he was able to go end to end, make passes out of the zone and skate his ass off. Hitting looks great, but you still need a guy who can effectively play against other teams best, and bouwmeester can do that, having some other idiot that can "hit" play those minutes is asking for trouble.

If Bouwmeester and Backlund were turned into J. Stall and Z. Michaleck, plus picks, thats not so bad, Martin #s on behind the net are not bad either, but I don't have faith either of them could replace Bouwmeester.

#41 PrairieStew
June 18 2012, 09:22PM

The one deal I would take for Jay Bo is for Shea Weber. Now before you say I am dreaming in technicolor, the Predators have a reason to listen. Weber is an RFA with a salary last year of $7.5 million. They could qualify him for a one year deal @ $8 and then he becomes a UFA. To sign him long term is going to take much more than $8. By trading for Jay, and 2 years guaranteed, the Preds may then have the cash to resign Suter. It also helps establish the 'team market' for Nashville. They could offer Suter $6.9 making him the highest paid dman on the team. They also have 3 pretty good right shooting d men,in Klein, Ellis and Blum - and their left side would then be Suter, Bouw and Josi.

The Flames really need a right shooter that can play ( sorry Babchuk) and Weber would fit the bill. Even without Jay, left side dmen Gio, Butler , Brodie and Smith are still more than adequate.

#42 Derzie
June 18 2012, 10:03PM

Best news I've heard. The love on here for Backlund baffles me. The expectation for him should be Top 6 forward or even Top 3. He has shown no better than 3rd line stuff. JBo is a minute eater but anyone with an iron man is both in amazing shape and stays out of harm's way which means not giving 100% to win at all costs. I hope these guys move and we get a fair shake for them.

#43 John Deere Green
June 18 2012, 10:19PM

I see why people are pissed about this. However, I am glad that the Flames are actually looking at changing some things up. Can you imagine going into next season with the exact same team? Ugh. I would dance the jig though if both Kipper and Iggy get dealt as well (I know, I know- never happening right?). You just know that the owners and KK sat down with Jarome and asked him what his thoughts are about the upcoming season. Jarome probably just said that everything is fine and the team will be contenders, just need to bounce back, give a 110%, play like their backs are against the wall, and then give that $7 million dollar smile while accepting his paycheck, plus per diem.

#44 Potlicker
June 18 2012, 10:46PM

@ Prairie Stew: God love you man. Weber. Do you realize it would probably take, JBO, Backlund, Baerschte, & our 1st rounder to even get into that discussion. There are teams that would give huge packages for him. Oilers would give Hall, Gagner & the 1st overall for him. He's that good. But its the thought that counts.

T&A: I saw that goofy Eklund reporting Flames are trying to wiggle in for Staal. I would have no problem with that in fact, I would give them JBO, Backlund & our 1st to get Staal & that salary dump of one of those 2 dmen. Deal makes sense, problem is, I think other teams can put out a better offer than that for Staal. This team has to get back to basics, we need the young talent that teams covet to score the Webers & Staals of the world. That means we need to turn these mothball smelling veterans of ours into picks & prospects before they get recycled.

#45 Sincity1976
June 18 2012, 11:11PM

Another thing. Too 4 D are going to be sought after. If Backlund has to be the gravy to get a solid return then so be it. I will judge the trade based on the return.

As for Jagr. Great. One year contract sounds better then long term commitments to an overpaid free agent give the slim pickings.

I agree that we should trade Iginla and Kipper. But if this experiment fails then that is what we get. Even the Flames aren't going to lose Iggy for nothing if they are out of the playoffs. Expect an aggressive trade deadline if we can't replace Bouwmeester.

It is going to happen. I think he wants out. And I think Feaster has to make moves. If he doesn't he can't defend another losing season to ownership or the fanbase. And an unwillingness to move Kipper, Iginla, Giordano, or Glencross limits his options.

I take it as change that either works (yay) or forces more change (hoorah)

#46 Graham
June 18 2012, 11:11PM

If the Flames manage to land a true #1 center much will be forgiven. If you need to move JBo to free up the cap room, and can't bury Stajan in the minors / anywhere else, Backlund may become expendable...Cervenka playing behind a true #1, Jones and the unmoveable Stajan gives us a pretty strong four some. (I would much prefer #1, Cervenka, Backlund and Jones, but that might be asking for a miracle to many)

Assuming you use JBo $6.67 million at center, you would have to use most of the other free agent number to add some d men.... we would be mighty thin at the back end.

Now, if we are moving JBo just to reduce salaries, I ain't going to like it very much.

#47 everton fc
June 18 2012, 11:15PM

I agree w/Prairie Stew. Let's face it; Buowmeester is not a winner, and has the reputaion of not being a winner. He's won nothing.

As for Backlund, he's all potential. But he's yet to produce. If yuo could parlay them into Staal, Statsny, Weber... That's what you try to do.

Reinhart may end up better than Backlund. And Horak's younger, and could turn into a decent playmaker.

I don't hate Backlund. But if he's the next David Moss... He's a 3rd liner, at best. Bill Aronold might be better suited for that developmental role. Not to mention there are 3rd line players like Moss out there now, that could be had via trade. Who are still young.

Horak's offencive #'s have beem just as good as Backlund's over the course of their careers...And for those ripping me for the Backlund/Boyd comaprison, I remember the reactions people had when the Flames let Boyd and Dawes go.

Somewhat similar.

All that said, if they move these guys for the likes of Jagr... Lecavlier... I'd be sick. Really sick.

Off topic somewhat, what team has an albatross like Stajan? Perhaps we could swap... ??

(Obviously Weber or Suter would be ideal, but I wouldn't mind Garrison coming here from Florida. Has he signed??)

#48 Franko J
June 18 2012, 11:32PM

Since the Flames lost the five games prior to the trade deadline, Feaster has been formulating a change in direction. I think Feaster was just as mad as Colin was earlier. What has every fan of the Flames cried about since the end of the season. Trade { insert names here} this player and that player. If I am Feaster I would have almost every player with a contract on the table and up for a possible trade. Outside of a few prospects and a couple of roster players with NTC/ NM clauses should be available.

Whether the rumors about Bouwmeester and Backlund are speculative or the truth, I hope to hear more names on the trade block. In reality, this team is not good enough to challenge even for a top eighth seed in the western conference. To tell the truth out of the eighty two games last season, how many times as fans you watched a game on TV or live at the Saddledome and came away feeling fully entertained and satisfied with overall performance of this team? I counted at the most 10 games.

Like most fellow bloggers to FN I have been a diehard fan of this team since day 1 in Calgary. I have seen my share of bad trades, terrible drafting and watching players go to another team and perform well. Heck I just witnessed first hand another coach of this team win with another team the Stanley Cup. Actually the second time this happened. I know D. Sutter has much to blame for this debacle and disarray this team is presently in, but ultimately it is up to players on the ice who dictate between a pretender and a contender.

With the current roster and where it is, I see plenty of pretending and very little contending. The only way to change it is making wise, honest, and somewhat lucky trades and moves.

#49 RKD
June 19 2012, 12:06AM

Trading Jay-Bo would be a window dressing move. Half of the fans hate him in Calgary because of the following reasons: 1) he is perceived as a soft player 2) his offensively totals of 42 points in his Florida days have been reduced to 28-30 with Calgary and the big one 3) he is making a lot of money.

Trading Jay-Bo is not guarantee that Suter comes here. Why on earth would he go from Nashville (a playoff team) to Calgary (a non-playoff team).

I hope they don't give up on Backlund, but again half the city has already deemed him a bust. He was injured twice last season. I still think he can rebound next season.

On the Jagr front, based on the fact at first he said he would like to return to Philly but now with his buddy Cervenka signed here, I think he will be offered a one year deal. Jagr could be a replacement for Jokinen, Jags did put up 54 points in 73 games.

This organization keeps doing the opposite of what we want, signing unknowns (Cervenka), possibly bringing in a 40 year old forward and still not trading Iggy and Kipper who would land them each a first round pick, a prospect and a roster player.

#50 Ryan Pike
June 19 2012, 12:16AM

Look at the team's leadership.

Iginla has won at every level he's played, but he's got a lot of various commitments due to being Jarome Iginla.

Giordano is a warrior and I can't see the Flames moving him.

Jokinen and Bouwmeester are arguably the only members of the leadership group that [a] haven't won a heck of a lot and [b] seem to lack the intensity and "hate to lose" attitude that Giordano embodies.

They're also possibly the two that are the easiest to move.