Cam Charron Takes Over Leafs Nation

June 07 2012 11:33AM

So just over a year ago, Cam Charron was happily writing about hockey and other stuff on his personal blog. Then we came along with a modest proposal and an even more modest bribe and asked him if we wanted to contribute to our happy little network. Since then, he's done work for Canucks Army, NHLNumbers, The Vancouver Province and Backhand Shelf.

Having become more and more important over the last 12-months or so, Cam called us up around the end of the season and told us he was moving to Toronto from his home in Kamloops so he could know what it felt like to be in the center of universe. He didn't say "so take this job and shove it!", but I assume he wanted to.

"Don't we have a blog in Toronto?" Wanye asked me.

"Probably." I replied.

"And Cam's moving there?"

"Yes."

"So that means...that means...uh..."

"Take your time."

Eventually we came to the conclusion that Cam was the guy to take over TLN and take it over the top, the same way Thom Drance has for Canucks Army. Our Toronto guys including JP NIkota and Danny Gray have done a bang-up job this last season, but we figure it's time to get someone in there who will make a lot of people angry and start long flame wars in the comment section.

That someone is Cam Charron.

So welcome aboard Cam. Your mission is a challenging one, but we think you're the right agent for this assignment.

This message will self destruct.

#1 Cam Charron
June 07 2012, 05:55PM

Thanks guys. I'm just happy to be part of the team. I'm going to take it one day at a time, give it 110%. We have a good group of guys here who are just committed to the system, and we just want to get out there and blog and have fun.

#2 Wanye
June 07 2012, 12:17PM

I LIKE THIS STORY I LIKE CAM I LIKE KENT

#3 Vintage Flame
June 07 2012, 12:24PM

@Wanye

It's so good to see from your avatar that you have taken to sponsoring a foster child.

For only pennies a day, you too can help a desperate child get out of Edmonton..

Good for you Wanye! #SlowClap #Grin #SlumdogMillionaire

#5 Danny Gray
June 07 2012, 11:52AM

I, for one, welcome our new stat-nerd overlord.

#6 TigerUnderGlass
June 07 2012, 03:28PM

LN is just getting on its feet. Back in 2009 when FN was getting established, the only comments used to be from Oiler fans...saying how empty the place was.

Oh, is it more than that now?

#7 Lowetide
June 07 2012, 05:21PM

Congrats, Charron. Does your phone work in Toronto? :-) All the best.

#8 Wanyes bastard child
June 07 2012, 07:42PM

Man this place is empty...

#9 Wanyes bastard child
June 07 2012, 11:17PM
book¡e wrote:

I should mention that half the people who comment here are just alter-ego's of Wanye.

Am not.

#10 D-Man
June 08 2012, 11:25AM
Danny Gray wrote:

I, for one, welcome our new stat-nerd overlord.

Well done on the Simpson's reference... Who rigs every Oscar night?? Props...

#11 Vintage Flame
June 07 2012, 11:39AM

Congrats Cam! You'll do a great job!

#12 Toro
June 07 2012, 11:56AM

Can I have Cams old job?

#13 Bean-counting cowboy
June 07 2012, 12:28PM

That's good to hear - congrats. The few times I have been on LeafsNation, it seems it is not as well attended as say Calgary's or Edmonton's Nation sites. The first time I went there I was expecting a huge comments section just based on how many comments a TSN article about the Leafs gets.

Just a curious - is there another venue in Toronto for advanced stats enthusiasts online? Is Leafs Nation just starting to catch on, or is there a more long-standing advanced stats site I am not aware of? Or perhaps this is just my perception & not the reality of it?

#14 Danny Gray
June 07 2012, 12:50PM

@Bean-counting cowboy

Do not go anywhere else, we are committed to bringing the best Leafs related advanced stats content out there!

But to actually answer your question, there are plenty of other Leaf communities out there that deal in advanced stats. PPP, Maple Leafs Hotstove being the biggest.

#15 freeze
June 07 2012, 01:36PM

I hope all the articles are this funny.

#16 Bean-counting cowboy
June 07 2012, 01:59PM

@ Danny

I'm not a Leafs fan (thus me even needing to ask the question). I was mainly curious because there's been a few times when the Flames were playing the Leafs, or I was wanting to see if there were any write-ups up on advanced stats for former Flames players, etc.

Thanks for your response

#18 puck-bandit
June 07 2012, 06:56PM

Like my Burgers well done; this is one of those "well done" congrats!

#19 Ryan Fancey
June 07 2012, 08:54PM
Cam Charron wrote:

And our compete level is through the roof

#20 w. ron sweeney
June 07 2012, 09:05PM

Good luck in the universe's centre/hole. But we need to enforce the Rick Dudley rule. Cam should not be allowed to lead Leafs Nation until after the NHL draft. He is illegitimately using his knowledge of 2014 Norris trophy winner Chris Tanev to influence Leafs Nation.

#22 book¡e
June 07 2012, 10:51PM

Just lost my longer post, but basically what it said is that if you want an active blog site, you and your writers may have to be the first ones carrying on conversations in the comment section. It won't take long and lots of people will join in. You have a lot of relatively empty comment sections at Leafs Nation because nobody wants to be the first one into the conversation. Get some debates/arguments/pissing matches going between your writers, your friends, your fake personalities, etc to 'seed' things.

#23 book¡e
June 07 2012, 10:51PM

#24 Wanye
June 07 2012, 11:18PM
book¡e wrote:

ROBOT WANYE AGREES WITH THIS STATEMENT BEEP BOOP

#25 antro
June 08 2012, 06:05AM

Does this have anything to do with the fact that Luongo is being traded to Toronto?

My first reaction was "noooooo, he's a canucks guy, he's ours..." I've really enjoyed your stuff at CA, and congrats and don't forget your roots!

#26 @Oilanderp
June 08 2012, 08:43AM

Moving from the 666th plane of Hell to the 665th! Moving up Cam, congrats!

#27 Gitagrip
June 08 2012, 09:56AM

Stimulating intellectual discussions with the Leafs as the focal point? Nothing to see here. Move along please.

Congrats Cam, I think? Shouldn't be much of a change from the 2 readers at CA though. I'll troll by anonamously from time to time if you're lonely and I'm bored. Good luck.

#28 Worser Than Not Norm Ullman
June 08 2012, 10:15AM

This guy couldn't start a flame war with a BBQ and can of lighter fluid.

Also, congrats!

#29 BlacqueJacque
June 08 2012, 05:07PM

@Kent Wilson

Why? Because I'm pointing out that this is dull, un-interesting content that has NOTHING to do with the Oilers, Edmonton, or OilersNation?

Are you going to ban people because they give you feedback that you don't like now?

#30 sizedoesmatter
June 08 2012, 08:16PM

Well from a religious nut with oil I hope you do well in toronto and the nation sites makes alberta like money and we get fancy new stuff on the website like unprop buttons

#31 MC Hockey
June 09 2012, 06:45PM

@D-man: Answer: "we do, we doooo...." referring to the Stonecutters of course.

#32 AGUY
June 10 2012, 01:48AM

Yeah...Was this posted on the wrong Nation team site by accident? Gotta agree with BlacqueJacque. Keep your internal affairs internal and post stories for the fans and their teams of choice. Puck-bandit mentioned he likes his burgers "Well-done", but if there's too much FILLER, I might not want to BITE, anymore.