This and That: Backlund's season, Trading Bouwmeester and and More

July 11 2012 12:02PM

A few items in my head today. First up is yet another defense of Mikael Backlund. Well, sort of -

Backlund's season was pretty poor when you look at the statsline of course - 11 points. When the brain notes "11 points" and "season", it's easy to forget that the kid only appeared in 41 games rather than 82. In addition, "game" is also a somewhat misleading unit of measure - some guys play a lot at both ES and the PP and with better players than others. As a result, a player like Jarome Iginla will get a lot more opportunities - more "iterations" - to work himself out of a dry spell than the Backlund's and the Jackman's of the world.

To illustrate...last year, Iginla was on the ice for more than 1329 even strength shots on goal for and against (not including blocks and missed shots...just pucks that reached the goalie). Backlund was on the ice for 520, or just 39% of Jarome's total.

Five hundred and twenty doesn't sound like a small number, but in grand scheme of things, it is. Iginla surpassed that total by the middle of December. And because the number is small, it's a lot easier for randomness to skew things in either direction - in Backlund's case, the bad one.

This can happen to any quality of player. Let's take Iginla again. between the end of 2009-10 and the start of 2010-11, he had a 35 game segment where he managed just 10 even strength points. His on-ice shot totals were 258 for, 273 against over that period...or 531, marginally more than Backlund saw all of last year (who managed 8 ES points, by the way).

The impact of Jarome's struggles over that period were somewhat dulled by the fact that he managed a few PP and empty-net points, but the issue is even the Flames leading goal scorer, playing with the best line mates the club could afford, managed just 10 ES markers in a 500+ shot sample.

Just something to keep in mind.

Trading JayBo = Starting the Rebuild

- I see by the poll that most fans are expecting the team to do something else before the season starts. Aside from somehow getting rid of Babchuk or Stajan, I'm much more in the "this is the team we have" camp.

The Jay Bouwmeester trade rumors won't go away for whatever reason though. I submit that if the team trades Bouwmeester without acquiring a legit top-2 defender to replace him somehow that they aren't terribly serious about competing this season, regardless of the other moves this summer. He's overpaid, he should score a lot more points, but nobody on the Flames current blueline could fill Bouwmeester's shoes if he was to leave given the difficulty of his assignment.

New Transition Metrics

- If you haven't caught Eric T's articles on the apparent importance of neutral zone play, make sure to head over to NHLNumbers today and read them both. The conclusions are based on just a seasons worth of data from just one team so we have to be careful about extrapolating too far, but if the findings hold up they have wide implications for player evaluation and team strategy.

Short version: carrying the puck in is worth a lot more vs dumping it in than expecting in terms of generating possession, scoring chances and, of course, goals.

#1 Baalzamon
July 11 2012, 12:22PM

re: zone entries, I've always hated the dump-and-chase, and it's bothered me that, for the past decade or so, the flames have pretty much used the DAC exclusively.

it's boring, illogical, and, in my personal, biased opinion, never works.

#2 Stockley
July 11 2012, 12:27PM

@Baalzamon

I'm inclined to agree. I've never understood how it makes sense to intentionally give the puck up. There's no guarantee you will retrieve it when you dump it in. Most of the better teams in the NHL are puck possession teams, you can't score consistently if you're forever giving the puck away.

#3 thymebalm
July 11 2012, 12:40PM

I saw some pretty mean offense started via dump and chase by the LA Kings in the playoffs. Some of that must depend on how your club is built. The Kings did an excellent job of retrieving the puck on dump ins from what I remember. Not surprised.. its a D. Sutter coached squad.

#4 thymebalm
July 11 2012, 12:40PM

#6 Kevin R
July 11 2012, 01:15PM

The part of JBO & the team "as is" versus trading is bang on the money Kent. Personally, I would see the sense in keeping JBO 1 more year & then his value theoretically should go up in hopes his numbers improve with Hartley as coach & only 1 more year of that anchor of a contract. But wow, trade rumours everywhere about getting him, Bruins, Flyers, Oilers. But right now, pinch me, we are actually going to sell a player we technically need but poor contract, in a beautiful sellers market & get top value. OMG!!!! Here in Calgary? OMG!!! But I agree, lets keep it going & just dont stop there. If that happens, I will defend Feaster on this site from the continual predators that like to pick at his carcus.

#7 FireOnIce
July 11 2012, 01:21PM

In regards to neutral zone play, carrying the puck in vs. dump-and-chase, I do enjoy what Alex Semin said a couple years ago re: dump-and-chase. Something along the lines of it's a lame way to play hockey and makes it less exciting.

Of course I agree that carrying the puck in is usually the best path of action. However, watching someone like Iginla over-stick handle the puck while carrying it into the zone, and losing it a good portion of the time, it makes me wish they dumped and chased it. He does the same move and loses it every time.

As far as trading JBo, people think that signing Wideman and Sarich spells the end for him. I'm in the camp that thinks it would be very difficult to replace his minutes should he be traded. A JBo trade would require a forward AND a D-man, unless Hartley plans on carefully managing every defenseman's minutes and spreading out the duty as much as possible.

And for the love of all that is considered holy, do not trade Bouwmeester to Edmonton. I don't care if Nail Yakupov is the return (okay, I lied, I'd take it), Shelbyville should never be helped in any way. Send JBo out East somewhere, sell the trade partner on how much he'll score when facing a more open, lower hitting team night in and night out.

#8 mslepp
July 11 2012, 02:01PM

"If the organization wants to delete a burdensome contract and receive some healthy futures in a deal with JayBo, I'm okay with it...as long as they pursue that strategy consistently and start shopping the likes of Iginla and Kiprusoff as well."

Exactly.

"If there is any interest round these parts, we could try to track scoring chances AND zone entries for the Flames here at FN this year."

I would LOVE to see how this shakes out for the Flames. Except I have a feeling the data would only further prove the theory accurate and make us all pissed off that the dump and chase is still the teams go-to zone entry method of choice.

#9 jeremywilhelm
July 11 2012, 02:22PM

Two of these three topics are so irritating to me, that I will not comment.

#10 jeremywilhelm
July 11 2012, 02:25PM

Wait, damnit!

#11 Parallex
July 11 2012, 02:38PM

@mslepp

With a new coach I don't think you can really say that it's "still the teams go-to zone entry method of choice". I mean I've seen Hartley talk about puck possession in near every interview he's had since getting the gig so maybe things will be different.

____________________________________________

As far as trading Bouwmeester goes... I don't think it's going to happen, more to the point I don't think it was ever going to happen. I think the tizzy is all a media creation fuelled on by fans who can't handle not having Bouwmeester's Florida counting stats and not grounded in any objective reality.

Think about it, trading Bouwmeester only makes sense if you're "tearing it down" but what doesn't make sense if you're tearing it down... how about signing Wideman & Hudler to rich longterm deals? If you're tearing it down then what you want is guys on short term bargain deals so that you can plump them up with counting stats derived from increased icetime and powerplay minutes so that you can flip them later at the deadline for futures. Nothing Jay Feaster has done has even remotely signalled that the team is going to do anything like this.

I'm pretty much inclined to think that the team we have now is the 2012-2013 Flames (Pending CBA resolution).

#12 RexLibris
July 11 2012, 02:42PM

1. Have you been written in as a partial royalty beneficiary in any of Backlund's future contracts yet Kent? If this young man ever finds himself in arbitration he should give you a call to speak on his behalf.

2. Very interesting topic here. Not about to trade or not to trade, but rather from the perspsective of what it means. It would seem that the most likely courses of action are to either retain Bouwmeester and continue to try and compete for a playoff spot, or trade Bouwmeester and then try to shop Kiprusoff and Iginla over the course of the season while offering Wideman, Hudler, Giordano, Baertschi and others as entertainment value to the fans.

There is a third path that would seem rather unlikely, and very risky. To trade Bouwmeester while straightfacedly (Wednesday = Imaginary Word Day #RefudiateIsAWord) declaring that the team is in a "win now" mindset and can make up Bouwmeester's contributions collectively.

Like I said, unlikely, but given Feaster's penchant for bold statements that often do not reflect reality, it could happen.

And don't worry, FireOnIce, the idea of an Oilers player or prospect wearing the flaming C makes me queasy, too. ;-)

3. Finally, while I'm not really a "stats guy", any metric that can disprove to coaches the effectiveness of the dump and chase is a welcome addition, in my opinion.

#13 Jason_C
July 11 2012, 03:05PM

Long time reader, first time poster.

Im loving all the info through the summer so far.

In regards to the J-bo trade speculation, it would take a lot to satisfy this fan base. Honestly it would require a team overpaying to make any trade palatable. And based on managements obvious "win-now" direction it would possibly involve a D-man coming back. I would prefer to send him out east, and a team like philly may be viable, but that kind of scenario would take something along the lines of J-Bo+Nemisz for Couturier+Meszaros. Losing J-Bo would leave a huge hole in the defence regardless of someone like meszaros coming back, but getting couturier makes it worth it. Though lets be honest, when was the last time the flames were the ones getting the quality young player back in the trade.

Anyways, should be an interesting summer.

#14 PrairieStew
July 11 2012, 03:06PM

Trading Jay requires the addition of a top 4 right handed shooting defenceman. 5 of what most people would say are the current top 6 ( Jay, Butler, Gio, Brodie and Smith) shoot left.

Might Nashville part with Ryan Ellis or Johanthan Blum to get Jay ? Or do we throw in Nemisz and Howse and a pick and ask for Weber ??

#15 Michael
July 11 2012, 03:16PM

Backlund - The ball is firmly in Backlunds court. He has a new coach, new skilled forwards to play with (Sven and Hudler) and another opportunity to prove that he is a top six forward. If he struggles to produce this year, I doubt the Flames will give him another chance.

JBo - Lots of demand for a top pair dman, so if the Flames trade one of theirs (JBo), I don't see how they can replace him. I still half expect Feaster to trade him purely to reduce salaries.

#17 marty
July 11 2012, 03:57PM

I think the team should be as is, my reasoning for this is let's see what Hartley does with this team. Alot of Sutter's coaching led to a lack of scoring as well (jackman's line starting in the O zone after an icing, iggy's line starting in D zone). Give the offensive players the high ground. Also yes i agree and have said numerous times as well, unless a dman that is somewhat decent coming back a jbo deal makes no sense (shattenkirk and rattie, or meszaros and a 2nd. Like most i have been critical of jbo but he wil not be looked on to be an offensive defenseman and if he can be used strictly as a shutdown and 2nd pp unit his offensive numbers may increase. Also with less offensive mins his defensive game may even improve. Unrelated i would like the flames to take a look at mueller as well to add a large bodied forward. To hell with this hot weather lets get October here and get things going. This means get a gd deal done nhl and nhlpa no lockout

#18 Baalzamon
July 11 2012, 04:34PM

@marty

"shattenkirk and rattie, or meszaros and a 2nd"

as returns for Bouwmeester, these are VERY disparate. It either implies that you think Rattie is worth less than a 2nd rounder (unlikely) or you think Shattenkirk is worth less than Meszaros. Since that seems like the more likely of the 2, I'll go with that. Shattenkirk is better than Meszaros.

#19 RKD
July 11 2012, 04:35PM

Not sure if the Flames will trade Jay-Bo or not. It's 50/50, I would be surprised if Ken Holland would start the season with his current lineup on defence.

The Red Wings have lost Rafalski, Lidstrom, and Stuart. They missed out on Suter and Schultz signed with the Oilers.

The Wings would want a guy who can play a lot of minutes.

I guess the return would have to be pretty good for Feaster to move him, or maybe not considering the Regehr deal.

#20 cLyde
July 11 2012, 04:44PM

I am fully on the trade J-Bo bandwagon because of the market. If we can get some nice pieces for him, please do it. Like Kent, I would then like to see them actively look to dealing the other 2. If we got futures and youngsters for Bo, I don't think Iggy would want to stay anyway.

Dump and chase versus possession is dictated partially by your team's personal and the other team's style. 1. If you do not have speed through the neutral zone and/or players who can drive the def, you often dump. as you really do not want a quick 3-2 the other way. So, more of a safe play for many teams. 2. If the other team constantly wants to stand up, a soft dump and retrieval is a possession strategy. Often it is a chip with the next forward coming over to support that. 3. LA dumps often because they use it as a tactic to wear teams down and force turnovers so it is actually an aggressive tactic.

Teams that do not necessarily drive the def off the line can still look to keep possession as long as all forwards follow the 1-2-3 principle and support. I agree that possession is great and if you can drive the def off that blue line, you set up so many other variables off the rush. Just don't know if we have the personal here to do it.

#21 Jeff Lebowski
July 11 2012, 06:59PM

I wouldn't mind seeing a Bouwmeester and Stajan package to SJ for Clowe and someone else (Vlasic or maybe a meaner d-man).

Perhaps Calgary would have sweeten the deal to get Clowe but there seems to be a lot of bodies at Calgary's disposal (perhaps poor choice of words).

#22 internuncial
July 11 2012, 07:50PM

I've always thought of the dump-and-chase as one tool for gaining the zone, not a strategy upon which to build a shift or a game or a team. The other common tool for that job is carrying the puck in, and that gets easier when the defending team is expecting to have to turn around and chase your dump in. And the other way around.

Would you build a powerplay around just a point shot? No, you use the bomb to spread out the box and open things up down low. This is nothing new: in football the threat of your running game opens up the passing game. And so on.

#23 everton fc
July 11 2012, 08:18PM

I would like to see if Hartley can extract some offence from Bouwmeester. Therefore, I vote for keeping him.

Backlund will have to earn his spot, on a roster deep with centres. It doesn't appear the current regime's too high on him. I also have this strange feeling Stajan "takes off" under Hartley. Ditto Horak. Based purely on "gut", of course...

Neither scenario helps Baklund, of course...

#24 Baalzamon
July 11 2012, 08:24PM

@Jeff Lebowski

I'd trade Bouwmeester and Stajan for Clowe and Vlasic in a heart beat. Which means the Sharks would be idiots to swing that deal.

Maybe Bouwmeester and Stajan for Vlasic and a 2nd. Maybe.

related: Vlasic is a heck of a player.

#25 kantsequentialist
July 11 2012, 08:24PM

Keeping J-bo while adding Wideman ensures that everyone plays within themselves. Unlike past years, we no longer need players to play over their skis. Finally guys like Butler and Smith will be expected to play within their capabilities, rather than expecting everyone to be an over-achiever. With the exception of the top line center position, this is true of the forwards also. Backlund seems to slot into the third line, Glenx fits well on the second etc.

One other thing I feel needs mentioning. With the additions of Hudler, Cervenka, Sven (along with the departures of Oli, Moss, TK etc.) the Flames are already becoming younger. All of our defenceman, with the exception of Sarich, are under 30 (3 under 27) and 10 of the 14 forwards under contract are also under 30. There is starting to be more and more quality players in different age categories. If this "slow but steady" youth movement works, when Sven is 20/21/22, Cervenka will be 27/28/29, Brodie will be 23/24/25 and J-bo will be 29/30/31. His role as the defensive backbone of this team will be crucial as we begin to rely on younger players to carry the mail. Please stop talking crap about J-bo everyone we need him to resign here :) There is a difference between being overpaid, and being a bad hockey player. J-bo is an essential peice of this team in 2012, and 2014/2015/2016.

#26 I'm Just Sayin'
July 11 2012, 08:25PM

Kent, any feelings on day 3 of camp? I can't make any of the sessions, so any info would be great.

#27 everton fc
July 11 2012, 08:33PM
kantsequentialist wrote:

If Ferland, Reinhart, Arnold, Horak and Gaudreau pan out...

If Backlund pans out...

If Jankowski develops quicker than expected...

If any of the goalie prospects, including Irving, pan out...

If Wotherspoon pans out... If Seiloff proves he can stay healthy while hitting like a mule, on the backend... If Bouma becomes a linchpin on the 4th line with a nasty Aliu...

If Howse can somehow find his game...

A lot of "ifs"... But I get a glimmer of hope these days... Which is saying a lot, for me.

#28 kantsequentialist
July 11 2012, 08:49PM
everton fc wrote:

If Ferland, Reinhart, Arnold, Horak and Gaudreau pan out...

If Backlund pans out...

If Jankowski develops quicker than expected...

If any of the goalie prospects, including Irving, pan out...

If Howse can somehow find his game...

I wasn't really counting on all the other prospects. Those are your "ifs"... not mine. As I pointed out, many young players already under contract. We need those guys to continue developing. I'm not pinning my hops on Granlund, Jankowski, Gaudreau yet. (To be fair, IF we can get a top center in the next 3 years, or IF Cervenka ends up being that guy). The point is, whoever is leading this team in the top 6 in 3 years, J-bo will still be at an age to be reliable and effective as a top 2 defencman. Ask Edmonton how effective it is to have young talented wingers and no d-men.

Conclusion: worth keeping

#29 44stampede
July 11 2012, 09:31PM
PrairieStew wrote:

Jabo, Nemisz, Howse and a pick for Weber? If you are Feaster, do it in a heartbeat IF we could get him signed to an extention. If not, you are paying a lot for 1 year of service.

#30 MC Hockey
July 11 2012, 09:37PM

I think people have to get over this idea that JayBo is overpaid and will be traded for about 5 reasons:

1) Because as the salary cap goes up every year, which even Darryl Sutter could have anticipated, JayBo takes a smaller percentage each year so is less of a "burden". Plus the owners can probably afford him as a "luxury" if you want to call him that.

2) JayBo is NOT Paul Coffey or Ray Bourque or even Zdeno Chara, he is a very good defensive D-man who plays a lot of minutes and just happened to in past put up good numbers.... but now is a defensive specialist. So get over it!!!

3) Without a very good return such as a Top 2 D-man for JayBo in a trade, Flames are unlikely to be able to stop enough goals to win games.

4) Flames DO want to win now as they keep saying, and barring an amazing trade, JoyBo is a better "default option" on top pairing defense

5) Flames brought in Wideman and have other offensively-skilled defenseman so JayBo does not have to score 15 goals as others like Gio, Wideman, Smith, others can add some

#31 everton fc
July 11 2012, 10:04PM
kantsequentialist wrote:

Conclusion: worth keeping

I was actually agreeing with you... and also projecting my own personal "hope"... that if many of these lads "pan out"... We'll all be happy fans...

So... totally agree w/your potential horizon. Hoping all the "ifs" pan out! Even a few would be something.

#32 Baalzamon
July 11 2012, 10:57PM

@MC Hockey

I personally agree with everything you said. To be clear, though, Marc-Edouard Vlasic is a top 2 dman.

#33 Kevin R
July 11 2012, 11:02PM

"If" the dog didnt stop to take a crap............ Rule of business gentleman, sell high buy low. If & only if the return is a rediculously good one, you pull the trigger on a deal. Right now there is a huge market for a top 2 dman. JBO is a good minute eating dman, but as a top 2 dman, he would be in the bottom 3rd of the league. If you do a $$$ value analysis on him, he really isnt good value for the buck for the Flames. Its a game of chicken out there & I am happy Feaster is waiting to see if one of these GM's crack & over pay us, otherwise, we ride with JBO. For once we are are in such a good position. Trading Iggy right now, not so good.

#34 Bruce Veloor
July 12 2012, 12:06AM

Bouwmeester stays, Backlund skates more & makes plays while Iginla gets sheltered from opposition forays.

As I lowbrow to more PIMS on this blog, I pray that my lumps are earned, while the decision to give @fan960boomer more airtime is overturned

I am still square but I was there. Twitter: @bruceveloor

#35 Wax Man Riley
July 12 2012, 12:37AM

@Parallex

I think you hit the nail on the head with:

I don't see a JBo trade unless it nets you a better defenceman... which doesn't usually happen unless you're trading Brewer for Pronger.

Why sign 2 long term guys if you plan to tear it down. I agree with Kent that if you trade him, you are committing to a pretty solid, and possibly drawn-out "re-tooling."

I recall (kinda) an analyst in 2002 saying that there must be more to hockey than dump, chase, hit, and that is why Canada lost in 1998. Teams had figured it out...until Canada won. It if a system based on making the other team make a mistake rather than dictating the play by carrying it in.

#36 Justin Azevedo
July 12 2012, 12:38AM

@Kevin R

Rule of business gentleman, sell high buy low

the issue with that is that you're always selling then.

sorry, I just like to poke a little whenever that phrase is used haha.

#37 If Only HIs Name Was Olli Postandin
July 12 2012, 12:54AM
Bruce Veloor wrote:

I am still square but I was there. Twitter: @bruceveloor

Call me fu#k#n crazy, but I'm starting to like this guy.

#38 Jeff Lebowski
July 12 2012, 02:29AM

The fact is Bouwmeester makes too much money. It doesn't matter how good defensively he or anyone else is, you don't pay that kind of money for defense. Period.

To be fair, I think the lack of truly offensive players here has distorted Bouwmeester's value so I have to temper my appraisal of him.

Calgary, even in years where they ranked quite high in goals for, never had personnel to score off the rush. This has been a team that plays offense along the boards, puts pucks at the feet of goalies then jams it in, or they had some nice shooting %. Calgary hasn't really completed passes rather they've retrieved pucks in the corners, if you understand the difference. Think of Brent's often heard refrain "this is how we have to play."

Bouwmeester gave them the skate to centre and rip it in breakout. It could be that's what he was asked or forced to do here. Perhaps now, with skilled personnel he can make some plays or convert more passes from guys looking for the trailer.

Or maybe he's been turned into the ultimate low risk safe player. In which case you move his contract outta here pronto. You can get similar play for much less and invest the money into more skill or at the very least a gritty guy who can play top 6 (which doesn't mean he has to score a lot, rather he just isn't a playkiller.)

I have season tickets, I watch 4. I don't see him making plays. I saw Brodie make plays, look for a great pass and make it. Bo is just timid, in all aspects during his time here. I think Calgary did that to him. Poor guy (haha-not by his paycheque).

#39 Bruce Veloor
July 12 2012, 02:22PM
If Only HIs Name Was Olli Postandin wrote:

Call me fu#k#n crazy, but I'm starting to like this guy.

90% of my fans are hors d'ourves while the remaining 10% are wise to pop in for these savory treats more properly known as girls. @fan960boomer could'nt read the invite.

While I'm still square, I was there. Twitter @bruceveloor

#40 Kevin R
July 12 2012, 02:45PM

@ Justin: Yeah but thats only in Calgary :( It works every where else.