Flames UFA Open Thread

July 02 2012 10:06AM

Calgary sat out the first day of unrestricted free agency, which wasn't a surprise given all of their earlier activity. With dwindling cap space and roster spots, Calgary is pretty close to finishing off their 2012-13 opening day line-up.

There may still be a move or two waiting in the wings though. Feel free to use this post to suggest scenarios, share you feelings on how the team is shaping up or discuss any moves that are made by the Flames or other clubs.

#51 Wax Man Riley
July 02 2012, 02:20PM
If Only HIs Name Was Olli Postandin wrote:

Sigh... I was about to throw a number of links on here, but what's the point. You Oilers fans seriously live in a bubble. It's at this time of the year, when absolutely no hockey is being played, that Coilers' hopes run high. By mid-December they start to argue about who they should pick with their annual lottery pick.

Anyways, just to f@c# with you guys, I'll corroborate my statement with an article from, gasp, the Edmonton Journal: http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2012/06/13/to-win-justin-schultz-the-oilers-will-have-to-guarantee-a-roster-spot-ex-gm-lawton-says/

Sigh.... you linked to an article with a random quote from a GM that is out of a job.

No one knows what was said behind closed doors, but I think it is common sense to think Schultz has a better chance to play a part on the Oiler's blueline than he would in Vancouver.

plus, with the offensive power in Oil Town, he has a better chance to score points too.

common sense says it's a good fit, not guaranteed minutes. Here is a quote from me:

"If he doesn't perform, he won't be in the top 4"

#52 If Only HIs Name Was Olli Postandin
July 02 2012, 02:22PM
Baalzamon wrote:

Hudler's a center.......... I assume they didn't resign Jokinen because he was either looking for too much or too long. Or both.

-//- this signing allows one of Cammalleri or Cervenka to play RW on the 2nd line... you may now sigh in relief.

Tanguay - Cammalleri - Iginla / Glencross - Hudler - Cervenka / Baertschi - Backlund - Stempniak / Bouma - Jones - Comeau / Stajan, Jackman

of course, Backlund hasn't been signed yet..

I thought Hudler was a winger. THN has him listed as a winger. Did he play considerable time as C in detroit?

#53 Stockley
July 02 2012, 02:23PM

@Baalzamon

He'd been playing the right side in Motown. Gives the Flames the versatility of using him at center if needed, much like Camm. Forwards that can line up anywhere are very much in style. Not sure how much Hartley likes to experiment with lines, though. It was certainly a useful trait under both Sutters, they would never leave a line alone.

#54 Baalzamon
July 02 2012, 02:25PM

the article on the Flames website has Feaster calling him a center, but yeah RW... still, good, needed that. If he plays with Cervenka, that should probabaly work.

#55 Wax Man Riley
July 02 2012, 02:26PM

Hockeydb has Hudler listed as a center. Leads me to believe he can play both spots.

$4M for 4 years sounds a bit steep, but this is the new NHL. $70M cap says it isn't too far off. ~Just hope he doesn't bolt to the KHL~

Always liked Hudler, although a bit undersized, he has a bunch of skill.

#56 If Only HIs Name Was Olli Postandin
July 02 2012, 02:27PM
Wax Man Riley wrote:

"If he doesn't perform, he won't be in the top 4"

HAHAHA!!!! Props to you for using the words Oilers and common sense together in a retort. Now get the hell out of this thread, as I really don't give a s$it about Schultz and was only relaying what I read on a lot of sites. You Coilers are boring the crap out of me.

#57 Wax Man Riley
July 02 2012, 03:09PM
If Only HIs Name Was Olli Postandin wrote:

Hey, we're all citizens of the Nation here. You don't need to read or respond.... tell me I'm wrong in my post though.

#58 clyde
July 02 2012, 05:33PM

@Wax Man Riley

You are wrong. The Oilers made the promises as stated to a guy that was too classless to even Take a call from Niedermeyer. Good luck to the Oil with a player like that. BTW, did you see Yak acting like a goof in a 3v3 development game where he scored 3 goals. He would do an outlandish celebration after each including flinging himself on the ice after a shootout goal. Even some of the fans were booing.

#59 JumpJet
July 02 2012, 08:27PM

Olli Jokinen signs no with the Jets; 2 years, 9$ million.

Also, the Stars acquired Derek Roy from the Sabres for Steve Ott and Adam Pardy. Roy was a #1 center in Buffalo and should be with the Stars. Could the Flames not have offered that Sabres something similar? Maybe Matt Stajan, Derek Smith and a prospect/draft pick? Or am I completely off my rocker.

#60 RexLibris
July 02 2012, 09:00PM
Wax Man Riley wrote:

I was going to say good on you for trying to take the high road here, but it looks like somebody is just itching for a fight.

I read Schultz's interview in the EJ today. I was a little worried about the Oilers getting a prima donna after this holdout issue, but I think I have read enough of his comments as well as some of the commentary from analysts around the league to come to the conclusion that this young man will fit in alright.

As an aside, I saw clips of Yakupov's celebrations and the first thing that went through my mind was the old footage of Selanne's celebrations. I, for one, think there is value in that kind of youthful enthusiasm.

#61 Wax Man Riley
July 02 2012, 10:38PM
clyde wrote:

When someone can show me that the Oilers guaranteed ice time to the kid, then I will believe it.

This is the NHL though. If he doesn't perform, he won't get that ice time, and won't get his bonuses.

Yak was over the top today for sure, that kid loves to play, and loves to be "the man."

I saw in an interview that Coach Krueger said something along the lines that he is having fun an is good to see, but he had a talk with Nail, and doesn't expect him to act like that during actual TC.

If he does, I expect him to get hammered hard in his first NHL game lol.

#62 RexLibris
July 03 2012, 06:58AM

@Wax Man Riley

"If he does, I expect him to get hammered hard in his first NHL game lol."

He'd better watch out for Tulupov. He's a beast in the Joey Moss Cup, according to Eager.

;-)