Sweet Schadenfreude - Erixon Dealt to Columbus

July 23 2012 01:11PM

The big news today is the Rick Nash to New Tork Rangers trade. The pleasing part of the deal for Flames fans is the fact that Tim Erixon was apparently included (if early reports are to be believed).

Erixon famously rebuffed Calgary last summer, refusing to sign a contract in order to leverage a trade to New York. His public position was that he didn't feel the Flames offered him a viable chance to crack the line-up as a rookie. The underlying assumption was he wanted to play in the market where his father made a mark as an NHLer. If memory serves, the kid told Swedish newspapers afterwards that playing in New York was his dream.

Fast forward one year and Erixon is coming off a season where he spent most of the time in the minors. And now, he has been dealt to probably the worst team in the league by the very club he idolized.

In principle, I'm not against players using what leverage they have to improve their circumstances and such, but there's a certain degree of karmic justice in Erixon squeezing the Flames, only to spend his time in the AHL and them become a Blue Jacket just one year later.

Fare thee well Tim. At this point, I think it's safe to say you would have been better off staying put.

#51 the-wolf
July 24 2012, 10:03AM

re: Iginla - really, the best time to move Iginla would've been the trade deadline. Ditto Nash. I still believe that you get the most value back then vs the summer. Howson gambled by waiting and lost.

Undoubtedly timing is the biggest factor in a successful trade. If you believe the rumors that LA offered Calgary the same package for Iginla as they did for Richards then you see what I mean. No way does Iginla ever get that now.

Whether that's true or not, the Flames missed the boat to capitalize on Iginla. Wait until next summer so that the team can trade his negotiating rights and the Flames would be looking at maybe a 2nd round pick.

In addition to timing, when are league GMs going to figure out that going for a huge package is the worst thing to do. In the end all you get are spare parts.

Howson should've asked for only 1 player, either Stepan or Del Zotto. And had he moved Nash at the deadline, when teams are in a frenzy to improve themselves for the Cup push, I think he would've been able to do it. Ask for 2 NHL players, a solid prospect and 1st round pick and things start to go off the rails. See Joe Thornton, Dion Phaneuf, etc.

Lessons to be learned when trading your superstar:

1) Timing is everything, strike while the iron is hot.

2) Focus on 1 or 2 quality assets in return vs the artificial value that comes with quantity.

#52 Kevin R
July 24 2012, 12:24PM

@ Rex: I still think you are a closet Flames fan & just havent come to terms with it yet as you would be ostricized for it in your sphere of influence. Personally, everyone is making the Nash trade out to be worse than the spare parts we got for Phaneuf deal. Personally, I do think Nash is overrated, in 3 years, that contract is going to be an anchor on the Rangers. I have watched Nash play & he floats like a 35 year old Iginla has been accused of these last couple of years. At age 28, Iggy carried the Flames & willed them to win. I dont see that from Nash. Name me one player that looked way better than he was because he was playing with Nash. Howson, like Feaster has a rediculous N/T clause that is going to seriously hamper the return. Reality, Erixon, despite our hate for him is & was a 1st rounder just starting to make his transition to the NHL, they got a 2013 1st in a great draft, Dubinsky & Anisimov are potential 2nd line or bottom top six wingers. Howson plays his cards right & they can rebound a lot quicker than what Calgary will if Iggy walks to a contender this year with no return period.

#53 RexLibris
July 24 2012, 03:28PM

@KevinR

Yeah, sorry to break your heart, but there is absolutely no love (zero) for the Flames in my soul. The absence of (or more specifically, abstention from) malice isn't akin to affection.

You can keep trying though. ;-)

I never really panned the Nash trade. Howson did the best he could, but frankly he was dealing with a cagey old veteran at this game and he should probably be counting his fingers after the handshake.

I am inclined to agree with the-wolf here in that Howson might have been better asking for one NHL asset and a pick. The cap curtails this activity today (no more Nieuwendyk for Iginla trades in the future?) but the Rangers had space and quality might have trumped quantity, long-term.

Yes, Columbus might rebound in a year or two. But they still have a lot of work to do (Mason and Bobrovsky?) and a big hill to climb. They are limited in the strategies open to them due to the need to market the team to a disenchanted fan base, as well.

I agree with a great deal of your comment. How would Flames fans feel if the Oilers dealt for Erixon?

#54 RexLibris
July 24 2012, 03:29PM

@the-wolf

1. Has that ship sailed?

2. Does that paradigm (assuming it targets youth as a return) even exist anymore in a salary cap landscape,

#55 the-wolf
July 24 2012, 03:47PM

@Rex -

1) Yup, for the reasons stated, it's gone. Trade deadline with 1 year left and desperate teams was the time. He could still be moved, but certainly not for what Richards got.

2) As you state, harder if if the team after him needs to move out salary. But even then, you get one solid prospect, maybe the standard 1st rounder (depending on who player X is) and then you also bring back one of their bad contracts (which almost every team has) in order to even up the money.

#56 Baalzamon
July 24 2012, 04:38PM

@RexLibris

"I'm not a big Nash fan either. As I have seen him, he reminds me of Heatley. A player that capilatizes on a few opportunities and the work of others more so than one who either creates or wills a team to success."

I do think Nash is overrated (I didn't always, though) but comparing him to Heatley is a bit unfair. Until last year, Heatley had coasted on the efforts of elite linemates (Kovalchuk, Spezza, Alfredsson, Thornton, Marleau) whereas Nash has had basically no help at all in his entire time with the Blue Jackets (except for Carter, but that combo always reeked of Jokinen/Iginla to me).

#57 RexLibris
July 24 2012, 05:01PM

@Baalzamon

I'll elaborate on that thought: Heatley was a great, even elite, complementary winger. Nash generally struck me as the same. Heatley played with better players than Nash, but neither one turned out to be the player around which a team could be built.

Nash today is not equal to Heatley of today. I should have been more specific.

#58 44stampede
July 24 2012, 07:38PM

I really think that the next CBA HAS to include an addition in the NTC. If a player asks for a trade they should give up their right to choose where they want to go. It is very unfair to the team and handcuffs them.

#59 44stampede
July 24 2012, 07:38PM

#60 44stampede
July 24 2012, 07:38PM

#61 Chris
July 24 2012, 09:07PM

@RexLibris

In the last 3 years, Heatley has scored 89 goals playing with mostly San Jose, and Minnesota.

In the last 3 years, Nash has scored 95 goals playing with Columbus. He's done that on a terrible last-place team playing against all of the opposition's best players.

This year, Nash plays with the Rangers. I'd give him even odds to score 50 goals. *If* Heatley plays with Parise, he might crack 30 goals again.

Plus, Heatley has an attitude problem. I'd take Nash over Heatley any day.

#62 Bruce Veloor
July 25 2012, 12:49AM

Indeed "farewell thee Tim"

Alas the time to ponder what might have been has passed while Erixon's dreams of wearing blue & white with red pants will last.

Like the rain in Bahrein our boo birds will reign more often driving you insane you bloody no-name.

NHL minutes you shall now see, well before you're ready & like @fan960boomer ruined you shall be.

_BV

#63 Bruce Veloor
July 25 2012, 01:28AM

If you like watching a brain aneurism give way, Search Tim Erixon on Facebook & at his request, get out of his way.

He also reverse-endears himself to his new club. What a scrub.

Tim has 220 FB Friends so he's certified cool. Like @fan960boomer a rare jewel.

#64 Bean-counting cowboy
July 25 2012, 10:34AM

@ Bruce Veloor

What's with you & Boomer? Major love or hate going on? Can't tell from your contradictory posts.

Just so you know - I'm ok if your response to my question doesn't rhyme.

#65 RexLibris
July 25 2012, 10:59AM

@Chris

I would take Nash as well. Heatley is slowing down. But that is why I added that comparing Heatley of today to Nash of today isn't really a valid comparison.

The main point I was trying to make is that both players have shown that they are not necessarily the ones around which to build a team. Nash is a great addition and he might yet be a tremendous boon to the Rangers. Richards had, for him, a fairly underwhelming year so I'll wait to see how Nash fares.

#66 Bruce Veloor
July 25 2012, 11:26AM
Bean-counting cowboy wrote:

@ Bruce Veloor

Just so you know - I'm ok if your response to my question doesn't rhyme.

Ok BCC. It's time for straight talk. Straight talk.

@fan960boomer and Bloomer have nothing in common other than phonetics. While Dome beers loves Ken King, I admire Boomer's on-air sul-king.

Boomer's got complaining galore while Bruce Veloor has more in store than just poignant overture. I may be square, but I was there. _BV

#67 suba steve
July 25 2012, 12:09PM

BV

I don't think you're dense

but you hardly make sense!

Have a good one.

#68 Kevin R
July 25 2012, 12:10PM

@ Bruce Veloor: And just remember, Erixon just found out if you "Rock with the Rats" you have to duck the bats! So sniff her twitter down & take her for a night on the town!

#69 Bruce Veloor
July 25 2012, 01:04PM
suba steve wrote:

BV

I don't think you're dense

but you hardly make sense!

Have a good one.

Dear Scubaru,

My language confuses some but not most.

_BV

#70 bruce veloor
July 25 2012, 01:07PM
Kevin R wrote:

If I make a further observation, your ability to point out ingenuity in my prose is akin to Shiriki Utundu avecˉ Harrison Hightower.

Thank-you I shall wear this compliment on my sleeve with pride for many months.

_BV

#71 OneTimer
July 25 2012, 01:50PM

I narrate Bruce Veloor's comment in my head with Sheldon's voice from The Big Bang tv show... funny stuff.

#72 Bean-counting cowboy
July 25 2012, 01:53PM

@ BV.

I am genuinely interested in your thoughts/observations/opinions, however your prose is maddening.

#73 MC Hockey
July 25 2012, 03:22PM

@KevinR - Good comments so I must reply.

First, yes, Mr. RexLibris is definitely a closet Flames fan...he will "come out" when Cervenka leads the league in scoring all year and the Flames are a top-5 team (so in other words, never). Like the single guy at work who is always well-dressed, thin, preppy, neat and who goes to Palm Desert for holidays...... you leave too many hints so RexLibris, we are on to you LOL!!!

Second, the return for Nash is decent given the circumstance (no-trade or limited trade clause, whatever you call it), all 3 young players have very strong potential (yes, even Erixon). The players Columbus got in return have their risks but not bad at all vs. the risk of losing just one guy to injury (for NYR) if Nash goes down.

Third, the answer is yes...Rick Nash has made one (but just one) player better, none other than ex-Flame Matthew Lombardi at the World Hockey Championships one year.

Fourth, you rock for "exposing" Rex Libris despite his expected rebuttals. This is all in good fun of course.

#74 Bruce Veloor
July 25 2012, 07:20PM
Bean-counting cowboy wrote:

@ BV.

If I may make a poignant psychological reference, Please allow me to say this...... Thank-you.

You are on the verge of a break through, roll with the madness as the flip side is enlightenment. I have of course travelled this path. To fast forward years of toil, ingest a quart of Mount Gay Rum and slip a drop of Cattle boys BBQ sauce under your mustache. Also works well with night terrors, and numbing the effects of female chatter.

_BV