Flames Sign Mikael Backlund

July 05 2012 02:39PM

The RFA list has been whittled down to one now that Mikael Backlund has been inked by the team. Backlund's deal is for one year at just $725,000, but is a one-way contract.

There is no way the Flames can lose on that ticket, which is even less than Derek Smith or TJ Brodie will make next season. Even if Backlund continue to fire blanks, he's an above replacement level player in many other areas and just 23 years old. There's nothing but upside to his contract.

Which isn't to say Backlund has been taken off the trade block. The team may still decide to deal Backs and his now very cheap cap hit would make him enticing to potential trade partners. Here's hoping the club decides to leverage the deal themselves, however.

Up next - Leland Irving.

July 05 2012, 11:08PM
Baalzamon wrote:

I just realized... wouldn't Backlund's qualifying offer have been higher than this? Something like ~850,000? Did Backlund refuse the QO, then take a lower salary?

Yup. His QO would've been a higher pay grade, but the contract would be a 2-way rather than a 1-way.

#52 rude
July 06 2012, 01:00AM

This is the flames best contract in recent memory. If Feaster trades Backlund now, I will be all sooky for a month or so.....

#53 meat1
July 06 2012, 08:56AM

First let me say I'm glad to see Backlund get signed. And let me also say I think some of the Flames recent signings have been for too much money, and too much term. So, naturally I would be thrilled with this?????

Nope. I think we should have signed him to a three year deal in the 4 million range.

For a young, up and comer home-grown talent, we have certainly not given him ONE public pat on the back. We (management) have threatened a two way deal, whined about inconsistency, etc.

He is only 23. He's had to break in on a team that has not tasted any success since he arrived. After listening to him on the fan 960 yesterday, I realized that maybe the Flames are on probation to Backlund just as much as the other way around. He spoke about going back home to Sweden to play if things don't go well this year. Now wouldn't that suck.

He signed a one year deal because that's all that was offered. But Sarich deserved two?? Wideman earned five??

To me this reminds me a bit of the grade seven kid that gets picked on by another in his class. Instead of standing up for himself, he just goes down the hall and picks on a grade fiver.

#54 MC Hockey
July 06 2012, 11:49AM

@Kevin R - nice ideas but you need a trading partner to remove Stajan or Babchuk. Perhaps the new CBA will allow a "no penalty" buyout for 1-2 players per team...then FLames fans can be happy.

#55 Baalzamon
July 06 2012, 02:54PM

if the Flames can only buy out one of Babchuk or Stajan, who do they choose? My vote is Babchuk, since the Flames are thinner at center than on D (at least concerning bottom pair defensemen) and Stajan is at least marginally competent at even strength.

#56 Subversive
July 06 2012, 11:07PM

Is Backlund a free agent after next season, or still an RFA?

#57 Baalzamon
July 06 2012, 11:11PM

@Subversive

it's only his second contract, so I think he's still an RFA.

#58 Subversive
July 07 2012, 10:14AM

Then I'm OK with this deal. I do fear you risk burning your bridges by grinding your young talent so hard, but if there's one more RFA contract to come yet, then I think if he has a good year they can get a fair, long term deal done after this season.

July 07 2012, 02:51PM

Backlund won't go UFA until he turns 26 or 27, IIRC. It's either the age of 26/27 or 7 seasons played in the NHL that allow a player to reach UFA status (there are a couple of other, weird exceptions that don't apply to players we actually care about, so I won't go into those).

#60 Baalzamon
July 07 2012, 03:17PM

@SmellOfVictory

is it 7 NHL seasons or 7 pro seasons?

July 07 2012, 04:00PM
Baalzamon wrote:

is it 7 NHL seasons or 7 pro seasons?

NHL specifically, with a slightly different set of rules for guys who end up playing a great deal of time in the AHL (the players we generally don't care about). Unless I'm getting that confused with the rules regarding waiver eligibility.

It's definitely just NHL seasons, though, rather than total pro seasons.