FN Weekend Open Thread - Construct Your Roster

July 07 2012 10:36AM

With Backlund in the fold, the Flames have 12 forwards on one way contracts plus a few kids and tweeners knocking on the door (Baertschi, Bouma, Horak, Kolanos, etc.). The blueline is full as well, with nine guys couting one way deals plus probable top-six sophomore TJ Brodie. The only question now is whether Leland Irving will be re-signed and if he'll back-up Kipper instead of Henrik Karlsson.

So absent any kind of trade, this is the club the Flames will go to batlle with once the owners and players decide on a new CBA. Most of the principles that were here at the end of the season are back, aside from Olli Jokinen. The blueline has more offense thanks to Dennis Wideman and there are a few more question marks up front that could go either way (Cervenka, Baertschi). Jiri Hudler slides in the right side instead of David Moss and Matt Stajan still looks like the odd man out.

Here's how I see things shaping up this season

Tanguay - Cammalleri - Iginla

Glencross - Cervenka - Hudler

Baertschi - Backlund - Stempniak

Jackman - Jones - Comeau

Stajan

Bouwmeester - Giordano

Butler - Wideman

Brodie - Smith

Sarich/Babchuk

Kipper

The issues up front are obvious: there's a question mark on every line in the top-9. And it doesn't seem to matter how you re-arrange things, you have at least one guy who isn't terribly adept at driving play on every unit (Im making an assumption with Baertschi here, as good as a prospect as he is - almost no one is a good all around player in their rookie season).

You can push Baertschi up with Cervenka to create a sort of "shut down" unit with Backs and Glencross, but then you have a second line you'd likely need to feed Sedin-like minutes to in order for them to succeed (and no Malhotra/Kesler lines to soak up the tougher stuff). Anyways, it will be interesting to see how Hartley cobbles together that puzzle.

On the back-end, we may see the destruction of the Butler/Bouwmeester duo with a new boss on the bench and Wideman in the mix. Another question is which of the 5-7 defenders make the nightly roster: Brodie, Smith, Sarich or Babchuk? Brodie is the cheapest and is on a two-way deal, but has the most upside. Babchuk and Sarich are the most expensive and each brings a unique (albeit limited) skillset. Derek Smith is a capable all around depth defender who is mobile and can add some offense here and there.

So have at it gang. How do you see the depth chart lining up?

#1 Sincity1976
July 07 2012, 10:51AM

Tanguay-Cammalleri-Iginla

- If Cammalleri gets comfortable at C this is a strong offensive line. Just don't start it is the d-zone.

Glencross-Cervenka-Hudler

- I think Baertschi can replace Glencross as soon as he earns the ice time. I don't know enough about Cervenka but from the sounds of it he is primarily an offensive player so this is again an offensive line.

Baertschi-Backlund-Stempniak

- Stempniak was good with the rookies and can hopefully get Backs/Baertschi rolling. All three players have the capacity for 2-way play.

Bouma-Jones-Comeau

- I think (hope) they use Jackman as a 13-forward when they need the size. Bouma is a much more functional player. This is actually an adequate shutdown line in addition to giving the Flames size and energy.

Bouwmeester-Wideman

- I haven't like Gio and Bouwmeester together. I would like to see if Bouwmeester can protect Wideman. And in turn Wideman can get Bouwmeester going. I would also like to see Boumeester return to the left side.

Giordano-Butler

- I am not a fan of Butler. He is 'fine'. Which is a ways from being good. I would prefer to see another D here. Perhaps Brodie if he picks up his play. But in absence of a better option Butler and Gio bring up a respectable second pairing.

Brodie-Sarich

- It worked okay last season. Hopefully Brodie reaches the next level this season. I can't see Babchuk making the roster with Wideman, Bouwmeester, Brodie, and Giordano locks for the PP. No point in having a PP specialist with no PP time. Smith makes a good 7D. He has enough experience not to be overly effected by a lack of playing time. But he isn't better then anyone on the team except perhaps Sarich, and they need Sarich for his size. Though Smith may rotate in for teams that will expose Sarich's lack of wheels.

Kipper-Irving

- I think it is possible they acquire a vet if they don't have faith in Irving to win 10 of 20 games. But right now it is Irving's spot to lose.

#2 Graham
July 07 2012, 10:56AM

Not looking to suck up to you here, but I had the identical roster punched out on my phone when Hudler signed:

Tanguay-Cammalleri-Iginla Glencross-Cervenka-Hudler Bartschi-Backlund-Stempniak  Comeau-Jones-Jackman

Bouwmeester-Giordano Butler-Wideman Smith-Brodie

Kiprusoff Irving

Hoping Feaster can find a home for one of Stajan or Babchuk. The other is likely to be an extra I'd figure. I still think the Flames are in need of a shutdown forward, but lines 2&3 seem to balance out well (offense, defense, size combinations) should the line-up remain more or less the same. Cammalleri isn't an ideal fit as a first line C... I'm hoping Backlund can step up and contribute between Iggy & Tangs, as I feel Cammy is more of a support player and less reliable defensively.

I would still target Daniel Winnik.

In terms of the D, I think Bouw + Gio is a true shutdown pairing, and would allow the team to depend less heavily on Butler & Wideman defensively. I guess Sarich is an extra D man. I'm really not a fan of the signing, as I don't feel he adds anything outside the occasional highlight reel body check. In terms of winning hockey games, Sarich has too many deficiencies. Fingers crossed they don't trade Bouw. If they do, I'm hoping you get a solid D man in return - Quincey +?

Fun exercise

#3 cLyde
July 07 2012, 11:36AM

The above line ups look reasonable if we go in with what we have. But, that roster will get us 12-15th. Too small, too slow and just not good enough so here are some scenarios;

1. Jay tries to make us a bit better with some tinkering. cammy-semin-iggy tanguay-hudler-cervenka sven-backlund-Stemp Aliu-Jones-comeau

Bouw-Wid gio-gragnani but-brodie sarich

kipper irving

2. Jay rolls the dice and deals Kipper to make us bigger and tougher in part of a package. cammy-tang-igg hud-cerv-backlund sven-bjugstad-stemp aliu-jones-comeau

bouw-wid gio-but brod-colby robac sarich

theodore irv

3. We trade Bouw in a package to Stl. tang-berglund-iggy cammy-hud-cerv sven-backlund-Stemp comeau-jone-Reaves

gio - wid polack-but brod-sar

kipper irv

4. A mix of 2 and 3. 5. Now, move Iggy as well as Kipper and Bouw and we will be doing what should be done.

Beat this post up a bit and give some alternatives.

#4 Greg
July 07 2012, 11:44AM

Kent I think your suggestions are as good as any... The only tweaks I see are the ones you mentioned. There looks to be a bit more talent in the lineup this year, but we sure are going to be an easy team to play against. I don't think even adding 1 or 2 "grit" guys would fix that.

#5 ?
July 07 2012, 11:53AM

1st line: Iggy - Cammaleri - Tanguay

2nd line: GlenX - Cervenka - Hudler

3rd line: SVEN - Backlund - Stemps

4th line: Bouma - Jones - Comeau

13th---> Stajan/Jackman

Iggys line can get plenty of offensive zone starts, while Hartley tries to use Jones' line as a shutdown line. Backs' line will, along with Stemniak, should drive possession so Baerstchi wont be playing in his own zone all day. The 2nd line is the one that makes me nervous, simply because I still don't know much about Hudler (he was good in Detroit, but so is Bertuzzi), and know even less about Cervenka. Alot of the 2way burden will fall on Glenncross' shoulders. Feaster will want to trade Stajan obviously, but last year at the deadline he said teams were interested in Tim Jackman, so he might decide to deal the winger. Plus 1 injury to a centreman and the Flames would be in trouble, so I expect Stajan stays (sigh).

JBOUW - Giordano

Wideman - Butler

Smith - Brodie

7th --> Sarich

I think Gio is a top 2 defenceman, and he played against good competition last year, so hopefully him + Bouw can give the team an effective shutdown pairing that can provide some offence. Wideman sits on the 2nd pairing with Butler, so that Wideman can play his offensively tailored game, while Butler can try and cover for him. Smith and Brodie are a good 3rd pairing, and either guy could end up being promoted, either through their play or injuries. Babchuk probably wont be back, and Sarich will get some oppurtunites to get into the lineup as a depth defenceman if Smith or Brodie falter.

Kipper - Irving

Kippers the #1, didn't get traded, yadda yadda. Since Kipper hasnt gotten dealt, the real question mark is the backup position. Leland Irving played decent in his time with the Flames, but his AHL numbers aren't so hot. H. Karlsson seems like he's out of the picture at this point, so Irving has to show the Flames he's better than a Raycroft/Sanford kind of guy to backup Kipper. I do have confidence in Irving, but only time will tell.

#6 Parallex
July 07 2012, 11:54AM

I think Kent has it right mostly... although I'd be tempted to swap Glencross and Sven so that we could have a more solid line to take key defensive zone faceoffs

#7 RKD
July 07 2012, 12:05PM

Kent a few questions, I understand it's only hypothetical.

If Sarich is slotted in as 7-8 with Babs, why on earth sign him? I can see fans getting upset if Babs and Sarich become regulars in the pressbox.

I understand it's highly unlikely Baertschi would continue his torrid pace. However, if he turns out to be supremely talented won't being on the 3rd line hurt his development?

I think the big question is: Does Jay-Bo get traded?

#8 JumpJet
July 07 2012, 12:11PM

@?

Roman Horak could be a good 13th forward should the Flames be able to deal Stajan. I don't know how good of a faceoff man he is, but he played centre last season.

As for my own roster:

Tanguay - Cammalleri - Iginla

Baertschi - Cervenka - Hudler

Glencross - Backlund - Stempniak

Bouma - Jones - Comeau

Jackman/Horak (Stajan)

Bouwmeester - Butler

Giordano- Wideman

Brodie - Smith

Sarich/Babchuk

I think having the top four as so will be a bit more balanced and could be deployed in more of a 1A and 1B pairing. Giordano-Wideman gives you an offensively dangerous second pairing and first PP pairing.

Kipper

Irving

I hope Karlsson is able to get his game together and earn the backup roll for this season. It seemed like he had a lot of potential when he first came to Calgary. Although I hope Irving will turn out to be better in the long run.

#9 Chris gagne
July 07 2012, 12:23PM

Based in feaster's comments after signing backlund, backlund will be 1c and cervenka 2c cammy back to the wing.

#10 cLyde
July 07 2012, 12:41PM
Chris gagne wrote:

I think that would be wise. If we are going to be any good, Sven, Backlund, Hudler, Cervenka and Wideman need to be major producers and therefor need to be put in position to produce.

#11 First Name Unidentified
July 07 2012, 01:16PM

Cammy - Backlund - Iginla

Tanguay - Cervanka - Hudler

Baertschi - Jones - Stemp

Comeau - Bouma - Jackman

JBo - Butler

Gio - Wideman

TJ - Sarich

#12 Kevin R
July 07 2012, 01:18PM

This is what I would like to see with what looks to be our roster to start next year:

Tangs Cammi Iggy 16.7mill cap hit Baers Cerevenka Hudler 8.2 mill cap hit Stemps Backlund GlenX 5.275 Cap hit Comeau Jones Jackman 2.5 mill cap hit Extra; Bouma .69 mill cap hit Total Cap forwards $33.36 mill

JBO Gio 10.69 mill cap hit Wideman Butler 6.5 mill cap hit Brodie Sarich 2.74 mill cap hit Extra: Smith .77 mill cap hit Total Def Cap hit $20.70

Kipper Irving(assume1.0mill)6.83mil

Total Cap---------------- $60.89 million/ Cap space avail 9.31 mill

Jettison Babchuk/Stajan/Karlsson to minors, trade for best pick avail & or buyout. We can call up Alui, Reinhart/Ferlund/wilson(d) if injuries get that bad.

#13 Champ12
July 07 2012, 01:59PM

For how terrible Stajan is, I just can't see him sitting in the press box all season.

Tanguay Cervenka Iginla Cammy Backlund Hudler GlenX Stajan Stemps Jackman Jones Comeau

Bouma

I'm also not opposed to leaving Baertschi in Junior or let him develop more. The kid is legit but is still under 20. He won't be able to meet the sky high expectations that have been placed on him already.

#14 CLyde
July 07 2012, 03:15PM

COrrected Line Up.

If we go with what is available: I agree that Sven should only be on the team if he will play and I can't see him cracking the top 6 of this roster so here is what I would go with.

Tanguay- Cammy - Iggy - let us see if our top guys can work well together. Cervenka - Backlund - Hudler - quick cycle style players. see if they can gel. GlenX- Stajan-Stemp - speed on the wings for Stajan. See if Hartley can help get his confidence back. Aliu-Jones-Comeau -Bang and crash line with some youth, size and toughness. Would be tempted to throw Byron with this line at times or Jackman when we needed more toughness.

Boumeester - wideman gio-Brodie butler-Smith Sarich-Babchuk

kipper Irving.

This unit needs a lot of luck, great chemistry and a lot of players to seriously step up their game. If this does not happen, changes will have to come as the Dome will be a lot quieter and emptier. Will Jay be the guy to make the tough choices?

July 07 2012, 03:29PM

Yup, mine would be pretty similar to yours, Kent. PP units of:

Tanguay/Cammalleri/Iginla

JBo/Wideman

Baertschi/Backlund/Hudler

Gio/Brodie

And Glencross and Cervenka could rotate in/out of the PP units as necessary.

#17 Old Retired Guy
July 07 2012, 05:13PM

Looks like a watered down version of the Toronto Maple Leafs......but with a good goalie (Kipper).

#18 cLyde
July 07 2012, 06:56PM
Old Retired Guy wrote:

Then I hope the Leafs make Calgary an offer they cant refuse for Kipper that includes your 1st rounder. That way we get Mckinnon with our pick and one of the other blue chippers with the Leafs pick. Rebuild would be well on its way.

#19 beloch
July 07 2012, 07:04PM

I'm not a huge Stajan fan, but since nobody else is speaking up for him...

Stajan had horrible luck for most of last season His Sh% was 2.7% over his first 37 games, but then it shot up to 17.5% over the remaining 22 games he played, which got at least his left foot out of the dog house. He definitely finished the season off better than he began it, although that really isn't saying much.

If Feaster doesn't manage to trade him (this is likely), I could see him challenging Jones for the #4C slot. Jones is a grittier player, but Stajan has more potential offensive upside. If Backlund and Cervenka both turn out to be home-runs and Cammalleri moves back to the wing, then both Jones and Stajan might well wind up being needed. Of course, if that happens and Stajan continues his 4-year slump, we might see Horak in the lineup instead.

Stajan is a frustrating player to watch. He has the tools to be a good fourth liner, at the very least, but he seems psychologically broken. If Hartley doesn't immediately decide to hate Stajan then maybe a change of coaching staff will help get his head back in the game.

#20 I'm Just Sayin'
July 07 2012, 08:07PM

Stajan was one of our better players down the stretch. I think his improved fitness level had a lot to do with that. If he makes the same strides this summer in terms of strength, I can see him fighting for the opportunity to play with the first unit. He has the skill set to play with them, it is only a matter of confidence, something Mr. Hartley should be able to help with.

I don't like Cammi in the centre spot, he is far more effective coming off the wing and finding open ice. That said, Cervenka is the wild card. He might be given the opportunity to generate some chemistry with Iggy, God knows It won't hurt to try.

My lineup might look something like this:

Tanguay - Backlund - Iginla

Cammaleri - Cervenka - Hudler

Glencross - Stajan - Baertschi

Comeau -Jones - Stempniak

JBow - Butler

Gio - Wideman

Smith - Brodie

#21 Chri$
July 07 2012, 11:47PM

@I'm Just Sayin'

It wasn't that Stajan was playing drastically better down the stretch. It's just that his shooting % took a huge jump. Sure, he played with more confidence, but had those pucks not gone in so frequently, that confidence would've been snuffed out almost immediately.

#22 CitizenFlame
July 08 2012, 12:22AM

I'm not saying that you need some knuckle draggers in the line up but if Jackman & Sarich are watching from the press box, Iggy has more career fights than the rest of the team combined. Has a player ever led his team in goals and fights? This team will be buttery soft and you'll see Iggy fighting and fans chirping him for being stupid but other teams will look to exploit this if Calgary doesn't insert some grit in the line up.

#23 SydScout
July 08 2012, 12:43AM

Long time follower, first time writer

Had a look at the first few games (assuming the season kicks off on cue in early October). Given there have been a few changes that don't make for an obvious line up, I'd like to see Hartley go for a couple of established lines and see how the untested guys go together (basically seeing how strong the likes of Sven and Cervenka will be on their own in the big bad world of the NHL). Vancouver (game 1) and LA (game 2) are going to show up deficiencies real quick, showing Hartley the holes immediately. This is a good thing.

Might also give the newbies real motivation to band together and show the rest of the team their worth. Additionally, Cervenka needs Hudler near him for the settling in period. The idea (if it works) is that if that new line steps up, the more established blokes start thinking they'd better pull their collective fingers out and all of a sudden the team has positive competitive spirit.

Tanguay - Cammalleri - Iginla

Glencross - Backlund - Stempniak

Baertschi - Cervenka - Hudler

Jackman - Jones - Comeau

Stajan

Bouwmeester - Wideman

Butler - Giordano

Brodie - Smith

Sarich (even though I wished he was offloaded)

Kipper (plays 65 games) Irving (17 games)

Could be completely wrong and Hartley comes out in a conservative way by having each line a mix of stability and untried/unsure players. Hoping that JBo and Wideman are on the same line. JBo to clean up if/when Wideman's defence is dodgy, but increasing attacking prowess.

Cammy needs to be in C. He stepped up last year when moved from the wing.

Feel free to shoot down this kangaroo's rambling at will. And someone please invite Nathan Walker to the Flames Development Camp!

#24 loudogYYC
July 08 2012, 01:59AM

Unfortunately the only lines that seem OK to good are 3 and 4. I think the Flames will be fine IF Backlund, Cervenka and Stajan play out of their minds as the 1, 2 and 3 Centres. Odds are only 1 of them will have a great season, I hope it's Backlund.

#25 15w40
July 08 2012, 07:12AM

Not too sure how Baertschi fits in, but to me he needs to be in the top 6 and getting at least 12 minutes a night. If not - send him to the farm to play on the #1 PP and get 20 minutes a night in all situations. Sitting on the bench won't do him any good and all the press I've seen is that Hartley likes his vets.

Lealand Irving also need to play. Backing up Kipper and riding the pine for 70 + games will not develop him. He needs to see 1200 minutes of playing I would think. If he can't then send him to the minors for more seasoning. Devan Dubnyk was drafted 2 years before him and it looks like he may be starting to turn the corner. A little bit of a different situation there however because if he was directly responsible for a loss, they weren't going to crucify him in Edmonton. They lumped him in with all the 18 to 20 year old rookies learning the ropes.

May have to trade for a more capable backup like Ray Emery or somebody like that.

As for the rest, Iginla wants to play with Tanguay and you can pretty much rotate in the centre to see what gives you the best results

#26 RexLibris
July 08 2012, 09:32AM

Okay, I'm not really as up-to-date on Flames names, but here goes...

Iginla, Nieudwendyk, Roberts

Fleury, Nilsson, Vail

Loob, St. Louis, MacDonald

Peplinksi, Chouinard, Mullen

MacInnis and Suter

Reinhart and Phaneuf

McCrimmon and Morris

Wait, did I miss the point of the assignment?

Seriously though, I fully expect a lineup more or less like Kent's.

That being said, once Hartley holds camp he might see things differently.

One thing I do expect, is that Baertschi won't play higher than 2nd line, and almost certainly be on the third line so as to shelter his minutes and give him a better chance to succeed.

#27 Danger
July 08 2012, 10:13AM

Seems like most folks are generally on the same page, but I think @I'm Just Sayin' is on to something with moving Cammy back to the wing. However, I'm not sure I see that actually happening because then there are too many LWs if Baertschi makes the team. IIRC, Cervenka was brought over with the understanding he'd have a crack at a top-6 spot and now it sounds like Backs is going to get the same. With all of that in mind, and with the aim of having at least one guy per line who drives play north, maybe we end up with something like this:

Tanguay - Backlund - Iginla

Maybe works this time around and stops Iggy getting his head bashed in quite so badly on possession/chances at evens, while also boosting Mickis' offensive production?

Glencross - Cervenka - Hudler

The cross-czech line! I'm here all week.

Baertschi - Cammaleri - Stempniak

If you're going to have an overpaid and sheltered third line centre, might as well have it be a guy who will put those minutes to good use and score some goals.

Comeau - Jones/Bouma - Jackman

'Nuff said.

Bouwmeester - Wideman

JBo seems to be able to cover for just about anybody while eating the hardest minutes for breakfast. Gives Wideman more leeway to attack, which is what we brought him here to do.

Giordano - Butler

Sounds like 4th D is more Butler's current level, and gives Gio a better partner than he had most of last year.

Brodie - Smith/Sarich

Only because it seems clear that Sarich is going to be playing this year.

Kiprusoff

Obvs.

Irving

At least until he loses his spot to Karri Ramo once his team is out of the KHL playoffs and he decides to come burn off a year of his contract here by suiting up and watching 9 games at the end of the season. (Jokes! I hope.)

#29 Josef Machacek
July 08 2012, 12:58PM

Roman Cervenka is very good player. I think, then he better then Backlund. He will be first center. He is very quickly a he has fantastic stickhandling. He is sniper and playmaker too. In an interview for Czech newspaper he said that he was promised a 1 or 2 centers and the powerplay formation. He is a substitute for Jokinen. The first season will be tough for him, but be sure to succeed. Look this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDKaoYAa9DY Sorry for my english ;-)

#30 Franko J
July 08 2012, 11:00PM

Here is to the Aussie and Czech, great input. It is great to know that there are fans all around the world who follow the Flames.

Cervenka is the wild card here. I'm more interested once training camp starts to see where he might be slotted.

All I can say Hartley has some pieces to work with with this roster. All depends who is going to have the right chemistry together.

#31 FireOnIce
July 09 2012, 12:39AM

@Josef Machacek

Roman? Is that you?

Haha, I kid. Good to see someone who possibly has a better "firsthand" account of Cervenka's playing than most of us. You have to think, Weisbrod and the other scouts would never have brought up Cervenka's name if they didn't see something in him. Of course, they also see something in Jankowski, so we shall see.

The proof will be in the pudding come training camp. Who has chemistry? Who needs to be cut loose from the Flames? Who shows up 20 lbs overweight and attempts to check their bong in with the equipment guys?

#32 FireOnIce
July 09 2012, 12:45AM

And the REAL proof in the pudding for this team will be their standing come April 2013. If they make the playoffs as a top 3 or even in the top 5, huge surprise. Squeak into the playoffs? Not so surprising. Don't make the playoffs? This is my personal pick, and as of now, the most likely.

I think the biggest question about the Flames is: what happens when Iginla and Kipper are done? Who REALLY takes over the mantle? Our goalies aren't exactly knocking it out of the park and we don't exactly have the next Iginla/Datsyuk/Toews etc. in our development pipeline.

If Calgary is such a $hit place for free agents, what happens when the only attracting factors (Iginla + Kipper) to our city are gone? Does that mean we sink to 30th and get re-located to Kansas City in a couple years?

#33 RexLibris
July 09 2012, 08:50AM

@FireOnIce

No chance that the league relocates the Flames to another market. Calgary is a gold mine for a hockey market. If things do go off the rails then it would be incumbent to change management, not the market.

#34 shutout
July 09 2012, 12:57PM

Bartschi - Stajan - Cammalleri Glencross - Cervenka - Aliu Tanguay - Hudler - Comeau Bouma - Nemisz - Iginla

Brodie - Giordano Butler - Wiseman Smith - Bouwmeester

Ortio Kiprusoff

#35 Frank
July 09 2012, 02:45PM

It's clear that the rookies wont be getting a shot to make this years team. In that respect, Feaster is a lot like Sutter in his "I'd rather acquire someone else's garbage, than promote from whithin" mentality.

It's no wonder our prospects never develop with this kind of attitude. And we wonder why Tim Erixon didnt want to play here.

#36 Danger
July 09 2012, 07:53PM

@shutout I really hope you are wrong. If Nemo, Stajan and Hudler are going to be playing centre while Backlund and Jones are on the bench, then it's time to start picking lucky numbers because we're gonna be a lottery team for sure.

#37 Artax
July 09 2012, 08:12PM

Hudler - Backlund - Iginla Glencross - Cervenka - Cammy Baertschi - Horak - Tanguay Comeau - Jones - Jackman